T
I've always liked Thad, but I just felt Shaw just looked a bit better

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
And this was the pass I was talking about:

4) Wide receiver Josh Lenz a consistent playmaker throughout the scrimmage
Wearing No.7 and running precise routes, Lenz unofficially had four catches in the scrimmage from three different quarterbacks. For those who have attended Browns training camp, this isn’t a breaking development. Lenz is a smooth athlete with quick feet, strong hands and a penchant for playmaking. He caught a sleak, back-shoulder touchdown pass from Manziel late in the second half.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...dd-026d0851b41f

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Johnny Manziel excels in Browns scrimmage: Link

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Follow on Twitter
on August 07, 2015 at 8:51 PM, updated August 07, 2015 at 9:54 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Quarterback Johnny Manziel didn't get to work with the first-team offense as anticipated during the Browns Orange and Brown scrimmage at Ohio Stadium, but he made the most of his time with the second team offense.

He completed 9-of-11 attempt for 93 yards with two touchdowns, a 4-yard pass in the end zone to tight end E.J. Bibb, and an 18-yarder to Josh Lenz, a nice back shoulder throw on the left side of the end zone over Kendall James.

"Yeah, I think that's the thing,'' said Manziel, who played in front of a crowd of 49,734. "Stringing three or four good days in a row together and felt really comfortable out there today. I was really looking forward to getting out here in front of these guys for the scrimmage and getting into a little bit of a live setting, and I think it really went well for all guys. I think Josh did a good job with the ones. I think Connor and Thad did a good job handling the threes as well. So all around just looking at our room as a whole, I thought it was really nice."

Manziel has improved his pocket presence by leaps and bounds over last year.

"It's definitely a comfortability about it right now that I definitely like,'' he said.

Pettine noted that he's setting his feet much better.

"Yeah, I thought made some good throws today in the pocket,'' he said. "So it's not like some of those games later in the year last year where I was trying to escape to right away. I really trust these guys that I have and these protections. When we're hot, we're hot and we know it and we're getting the ball out. Feeling comfortable is a good thing."

Manziel overcame adversity on his first drive, including an incomplete deep ball and a sack, to finish strong with the two TD drives.

JOSH MCCOWN SCORES: Browns likely starting quarterback Josh McCown put points on the board on his first two opportunities in team drills, a 10-yard touchdown pass to former Ohio State receiver Brian Hartline and a 47-yard field goal by Travis Coon in red zone drills against the first-team defense. On the TD drive, McCown went 3-for-4 for 72 yards, including a 47-yard strike over the middle to Gary Barnidge and a 15-yard play-action pass to Travis Benjamin on the opening play. McCown also had a pass tipped at the line.

The drive was impressive, and drew praise from NFL Network analysts Mike Mayock and Solomon Wilcots, who praised the veteran's accuracy and footwork.
On the field goal drive, McCown's pass in the back of the end zone intended for Brian Hartline was broken up by Justin Gilbert.

"McCown is known as a game-manager but there's nothing wrong with that,'' said Mayock, noting that McCown is a savvy veteran.

JUSTIN GILBERT SUBS FOR JOE HADEN, HURTS HAND

2014 No. 8 overall pick Gilbert started at cornerback in place of Joe Haden, who got the night off. Pierre Desir had been getting the nod ahead of Gilbert to sub for the resting starters, but Desir suffered a pulled hamstring in practice on Thursday, and sat out the scrimmage. Gilbert hurt his hand breaking up a pass in the end zone, but returned to the field and said afterward he was fine. He had the hand taped.

TERRELLE PRYOR RESTS

Pryor was looking forward to returning to the 'Shoe for the first time since being banned by the school. He didn't play because of his pulled hamstring, but received a warm reception from the fans. "I just need to get back out there as soon as possible,'' Pryor said.

HARTLINE'S HOMECOMING

Browns receiver Brian Hartline celebrated his homecoming at the 'Shoe by catching a 10-yard touchdown pass from Josh McCown on the opening drive of team drills.

Hartline was looking forward to his return to Ohio State, where he played from 2006-08.

"It's great,'' Hartline said Thursday. "I'm not really a nostalgic type person, but it will cool to be back in there. For me it's closer to home. I live in Columbus. It'll be cool to have some dinner, see everybody and get back in the Shoe for some fun. I kind of wish they would open it up for everybody to fill it, but I understand the logistics that go with that. I'm looking forward to seeing a great crowd."

Hartline acknowledged he's developed nice chemistry with McCown.

"We're getting some good work in and getting a feel for each other. But I'm just doing what I'm told and he's doing what he's told when we have some errors we'll talk it out and hope not to do it again. Those are the steps we've been following."

Hartline has caught almost every ball thrown to him from McCown this camp.

"It's a very favorable ball to catch,'' said Hartline. "He throws a great football. It's easy to catch. He's fun to play with. You guys see how he communicates out there – talking to everybody and getting things situated. He definitely makes it easy on a lot of other guys.
Josh is very intellectual on and off the field. He really cares about the success of the football team and the success of every individual. He's really doing a great job."

Hartline lamented the fact that his former Ohio State teammate Terrelle Pryor is out with the pulled hamstring.

"Being healthy is important,'' said Hartline. "He has to keep getting in rehab and get back on the field. He had a good couple days of getting acquainted. There are a lot of things he was working on but that kind of comes to a halt when you're dinged up a little bit. He asks a lot of questions in the meeting rooms and the walkthroughs. I know he wants to be on the field and learning from an experience standpoint."

INJURY REPORT

The following players did not participate in the scrimmage: WR Dwayne Bowe (hamstring), CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (knee), RB Duke Johnson (hamstring), FB Malcolm Johnson (shoulder), OL Joe Madsen (concussion), RB Luke Lundy (concussion), CB Robert Nelson (hamstring), WR Terrelle Pryor (hamstring), TE Randall Telfer (foot), RB Terrance West (calf), DL Billy Winn (sprained ankle/knee), CB Pierre Desir (hamstring), TE Kevin Haplea (knee), OLB Barkevious Mingo (arthroscopic knee surgery) and RB Glenn Winston (arthroscopic knee surgery)

WHAT'S NEXT

The Browns will host the Redskins in the preseason opener Thursday night at 8 p.m. at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns scrimmage: 5 observations from the Orange and Brown game

Offense shines, new kicker emerging?

Kevin Jones

COLUMBUS -- The first Orange and Brown scrimmage is in the books, and there are several important takeaways from the Browns’ trip to Ohio Stadium.

1) QB Josh McCown ignites the offense

A year after the Browns offense did not score a touchdown during the entire intrasquad scrimmage, McCown led his group down the field and into the end zone in only a handful of plays.

A third-down conversion was completed to tight end Gary Barnidge, who rumbled down the field for 48 yards. On the next play, McCown rolled all the way to the right sideline before flinging a dart into the arms of Brian Hartline for a 10-yard touchdown.

“Having a guy like Josh who’s able to come in and really master the offense instantly has been a huge blessing,” veteran left tackle Joe Thomas said.

“Overall, I’m very pleased offensively,” coach Mike Pettine said. “We scored some points. This is great teaching tape. You can’t replicate this in Berea. Knowing that this is on TV and in front of a great crowd, guys separate themselves.”

Johnny Manziel also had an impressive evening at Ohio Stadium, showing off much more polished footwork in the pocket and assertiveness with his arm strength. Manziel did not get to work with the first-team unit as originally planned because of a depth chart full of injuries. Pettine hinted Manziel will get first-team work at some point during the preseason.

We’ll have a separate article further analyzing the quarterback play.

2) Injury update: Several players miss the scrimmage

Offensive lineman Alex Mack (leg) and cornerback Joe Haden (muscle tightness) were held out of the scrimmage for precautionary reasons. Cornerback Justin Gilbert (wrist) was shaken up on a diving play in the end zone, where he batted away what would have been a touchdown for the offense.

“Alex was good to go, he’ll get plenty of work in the preseason games,” Pettine said.

Others who missed the scrimmage included: WR Dwayne Bowe (hamstring), RB Duke Johnson (hamstring), FB Malcolm Johnson (shoulder), OL Joe Madsen (concussion), RB Luke Lundy (concussion), CB Robert Nelson (hamstring), WR Terrelle Pryor (hamstring), RB Terrance West (calf), DL Billy Winn (sprained ankle/knee), CB Pierre Desir (hamstring), TE Kevin Haplea (knee), OLB Barkevious Mingo (knee surgery) and RB Glenn Winston (knee surgery).

3) Kicker Travis Coons has a strong leg

The Browns mostly have run punting drills during the first half of training camp, so insight into the team’s kicking competition was one of the things Pettine was most looking forward to at Ohio Stadium.

Coons did not disappoint, drilling 47- and 53-yarders in the first half of the scrimmage. The shaggy-haired 23-year-old spent last training camp with the Titans before he was waived right before the regular season.

“He certainly looked the part,” Pettine said.

The Browns used veteran kickers Billy Cundiff and Garrett Hartley in 2014 and are hoping for a long-term solution at the position.

4) Wide receiver Josh Lenz a consistent playmaker throughout the scrimmage

Wearing No.7 and running precise routes, Lenz unofficially had four catches in the scrimmage from three different quarterbacks. For those who have attended Browns training camp, this isn’t a breaking development. Lenz is a smooth athlete with quick feet, strong hands and a penchant for playmaking. He caught a sleak, back-shoulder touchdown pass from Manziel late in the second half.

“It’s every year you get some off-the-radar guy that shows up,” Pettine said. “We saw something in him to bring him here and a lot of that is a credit to Ray (Farmer’s) group. They can find those guys, whether it’s after the draft or wherever we acquire them from, and they can come here and be productive.”

"He’s been a guy that came in, and you barely ever hear him speak," said safety Donte Whitner. "He’s a guy that’s always working, and he made a lot of big plays out there today. Last year, I think he was with the [Indianapolis Colts]. They ended up letting him go, but he’s making a really, really good impression on his teammates and the coaching staff.”

The 6-foot, 195-pound Lenz spent all of 2014 on the Colts’ practice squad. Days like Friday are evidence Lenz is pushing full steam ahead to potentially crack the 53-man roster.

5) Other news and notes

The run defense looked markedly improved in a live-game setting. Outside of a Shaun Draughn 15-yard scamper, the lid was sealed pretty tightly on the Browns’ running backs. McCown insinuated the Browns ran the ball less than they would have because of a rash of injuries to the team’s running backs and fullback Malcolm Johnson.
Travis Benjamin fielded punts in the first half while Taylor Gabriel and Shane Wynn rotated in the second half. That position still doesn’t have a firm answer to it, although Benjamin’s grasp on the spot appears to be tightening.
Undrafted safety Landon Feichter intercepted a Thaddeus Lewis pass in the first half. The Purdue alum has an uphill battle in the defensive back room, but Pettine has said the coaching staff will weigh big plays in the scrimmage more than they will a routine practice.
Link

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Vambo - That may be the most festive post I've ever seen on these forums, lol smile

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TripleOption
Vambo - That may be the most festive post I've ever seen on these forums, lol smile

haha i'd love to see his post if we'd beat the steelers

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Vambo #983176 08/07/15 10:56 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont want to belittle what McCown did but he eyeballed the receiver on the right corner throw and Williams should have had a pick 6. There was a couple he bounced the ball when it should have been a fairly easy throw and I thought he was at times really slow to get the ball out. It wasnt nearly as good of a showing as what some reports are making it out to be. Shaw looked better.

Did i mention Shelton and Orchard really impressed the hell out of me lol.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: TripleOption

haha i'd love to see his post if we'd beat the steelers

Just good to see the Browns in full pads, like a cold beer on a hot day. nanner

Vambo #983179 08/07/15 11:04 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Offensive lineman Alex Mack (leg) and cornerback Joe Haden (muscle tightness) were held out of the scrimmage for precautionary reasons. Cornerback Justin Gilbert (wrist) was shaken up on a diving play in the end zone, where he batted away what would have been a touchdown for the offense.

“Alex was good to go, he’ll get plenty of work in the preseason games,” Pettine said.

Others who missed the scrimmage included: WR Dwayne Bowe (hamstring), RB Duke Johnson (hamstring), FB Malcolm Johnson (shoulder), OL Joe Madsen (concussion), RB Luke Lundy (concussion), CB Robert Nelson (hamstring), WR Terrelle Pryor (hamstring), RB Terrance West (calf), DL Billy Winn (sprained ankle/knee), CB Pierre Desir (hamstring), TE Kevin Haplea (knee), OLB Barkevious Mingo (knee surgery) and RB Glenn Winston (knee surgery).

I understand you didn't have your big annoying thumbs up over this paragraph.... but I would really consider if Ricci..Keyes and Wolf have a clue on conditioning...

Last edited by DeisleDawg; 08/07/15 11:11 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
[quote]

I understand you didn't have your big annoying thumbs up over this paragraph.... but I would really consider if Ricci..Keyes and Wolf had a clue on conditioning...

Why would you want thumbs up on injuries that would be kind of morbid.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SMH.. learn how to comprehend a post before you respond with such a ridiculous response.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._medium=twitter

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Johnny Manziel didn't work with the first team during Friday night's Orange and Brown scrimmage at Ohio Stadium, but he won over one of the most important starters on offense and one of his harshest critics from last year: eight-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas.

"He's really proved to a lot of people that this is important to him and he's ready to be an NFL starting quarterback,'' said Thomas. "Playing well in the scrimmage tonight and looking like an NFL quarterback is another good step in the direction that he wants to go. He's just earning that trust of his teammates that he's going to need to do if he wants to be that starter. He impressed a lot of people out here tonight.''

In four series of work, Manziel completed 9-of-11 attempts for 93 yards and two touchdowns, a 4-yarder to tight end E.J. Bibb on the left side of the end zone, and an 18-yarder to first-year receiver Josh Lenz, a beautiful back shoulder throw on the left side of the end zone, where he beat Kendall James.

On the latter drive, Manziel went 5-for-6 for 65 yards, including a laser shot over the middle to Marlon Moore, a 17-yard bullet to tight end Rob Housler off a rollout left.

"We always knew he had the talent,'' Thomas said. "So it was never a matter of the talent that he had. You're starting to see the work that he put in off the field, but the commitment that he's made in the meeting room. Studying film when he doesn't need to be. Doing the things that a starting quarterback has to do. I think you're seeing it now that he's in competitive situations he's able to let that talent go and play well. And that's what you saw today.''

Thomas was quick to point out, however, that even though Manziel is proving he can do the job now, he's still firmly in Josh McCown's corner too.

"Josh has done so many good things that to me it's not really a conversation about who should be the starter right now,'' said Thomas.

Coach Mike Pettine said Manziel didn't work with the ones -- as anticipated -- because of all the injuries on offense and not enough reps to go around. As it was, McCown played only two series, including one in the red zone.

"It'll happen in the preseason game, but the way we were depleted with injuries and being cautious with guys, there was just no way to do it without putting other guys at risk,'' said Pettine.

Manziel took it in stride, like he has everything else since he rejoined the team in April after 10 weeks in rehab.

"Like I said I was leaving that up to Pett and if I got some reps good, if I didn't I was just going to go out and control what I could control and that was one thing that I couldn't,'' he said. "When they told me to go in, I went in and tried to handle whatever situation I got the best I could."

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam was excited about Manziel's spirited scrimmage, in front of 49,734 fans at the 'Shoe.

"One of our coaches reminded me today he should be a college senior,'' said Haslam. "He's still 22, so he's a young guy. I think Johnny's starting to grow up and he's starting to understand you've got to work hard, and you've got to get after it every day. So he's learning to do that and he's got to prove he can do that over a period of time. But so far, so good. He's making good progress and he's working hard.''

McCown, who put a touchdown and a field goal on the board on his two series with the first-team offense, was most impressed with Manziel overcoming adversity on his opening drive. Manziel just missed Lenz deep down the right side on his opening play, and the drive fizzled five plays later on a sack by Nate Orchard, with heavy pressure from top pick Danny Shelton.

Manziel came back on his next drive, a red zone drills, to complete the 4-yarder to Bibb, who beat Orchard at the goal-line. Two drives later, back on a college football field, he showed some of that Johnny Football flare in going 5-for-5 and firing it in to Lenz.

"Oh man, it was sweet,'' McCown said of Manziel's perfect drive. "I was proud of him. He started off okay and then kind of had a lull and then that's the thing about playing this position. You can't create false adversity, it just has to happen.

"When you go through some things like tonight where you kind of have a couple of drives that don't go your way and then you pull yourself out of it, that's the main thing. The throw was terrific, but just the way he battled through it was awesome and that's the mark of making progress in my opinion and of a quarterback maturing and I'm very pleased with how he played. He played very well. He's really coming along.''

Manziel acknowledged that he shook off the opening drive and finished well.

"Sure, we came out guns blazing right there and almost threw an 80-yard touchdown on the first play,'' he said. "We just missed it. So I think Flip (offensive coordinator John DeFilippo) did a good job of dialing up some plays there. We got a first down and then three and out. After that, we got into the end zone and that's what we wanted to do. So i was happy about it."

Browns coach Mike Pettine was most pleased with Manziel's poise in the pocket. He rolled out and utilized his mobility with a purpose, but didn't take off running prematurely.

"I think the think that jumps out is that he's much less antsy in the pocket,'' said Pettine. "He sets his feet, which is something you really didn't get to see much last year, and he's trusting his reads and I thought he placed the ball, I thought his location and accuracy was very good tonight."

Manziel, who had his right arm throwing arm wrapped with ice after the scrimmage like he does after every practice, was buoyed by the performance.

"Yeah, I think that's the thing -- stringing three or four good days in a row together and felt really comfortable out there today,'' he said. "I was really looking forward to getting out here in front of these guys for the scrimmage and getting into a little bit of a live setting, and I think it really went well for all guys. I think Josh did a good job with the ones. I think Connor (Shaw) and Thad (Lewis) did a good job handling the threes as well. So all around just looking at our room as a whole, I thought it was really nice."

He acknowledged that he's starting to feel less a sense of urgency to bolt up field at the first sign of trouble.

"Yeah, I thought made some good throws today in the pocket,'' he said. "So it's not like some of those games later in the year last year where I was trying to escape to right away. I really trust these guys that I have and these protections. When we're hot, we're hot and we know it and we're getting the ball out. Feeling comfortable is a good thing."

Manziel, who's developed good timing with backups such as Lenz, Shane Wynn and Darius Jennings, saw the field well on his deep touchdown pass to Lenz.

"Just went single safety,'' he said. "I think me and Josh have had good chemistry throughout training camp. I really trust him and put it on his back shoulder there and he made a great play. So both those drives where we had touchdown passes there, I think Bibbs made a heck of a catch there on our stick route and then Josh getting in the end zone as well.

"That was the way I wanted to finish off the day, especially coming out after halftime and stalling. To get that in was big time especially moving it and I think maybe completing every pass on that drive."

The drive -- and Manziel's entire camp -- has been impressive enough to sway even the team's most hard to please veteran.

Vambo #983185 08/07/15 11:22 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SMH.. learn how to comprehend a post before you respond with such a ridiculous response.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg

Bless you for the kind suggestion fellow Browns fan.

V
Legend
Legend
V
A few observations:

--I thought Lenz was the star of the scrimmage. That guy has some quick feet. Very decisive.

--I liked #52. Can't remember his name. I believe he was a late-round pick out of USC. He attacks the gap. Good instincts.

--Can't the Browns find a professional writer. The first thing I see is this subheading: "Josh McCown ignites the offense." Ignites? That word was both deceptive and amateurish. It's a word you tell your 5th graders to use to give your piece a voice.

--Speaking of McCown: Noticeable difference between how he looked during the 7-on7's vs full-team when guys were actually in the same zip code as he was in. Sheesh, he leaves the pocket when he had time to stay in it [and they can't even hit him] and throws a dirt-ball at the feet of the WR--I think it was Moore.

--The run-blocking didn't look to be opening any holes. It's gonna be a tough year on offense if Manziel doesn't become magical.

--Speaking of JM, I thought he looked good. I don't think we should put a tight leash on him in terms of his athleticism. Let him play like Wilson does.

--I liked that TE......what's his name? Bibbs? That's Mourg's boy, right? He looks the part. Good height, athletic and strong build, runs well, pretty smooth movements. Why didn't he go higher in the draft? Injuries?

--Oh, and LOL at Solomon Wilcot's. He was acting like the Browns were the greatest franchise in the NFL.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/08/15 07:39 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
--I liked #52. Can't remember his name.

Pullard, ILB, I believe...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Legend
Legend
D
I know after his bomb to Wynn (spelling? We have so many Winn/Wynns it's hard to keep track) on his opening play was a fantastic throw and some others - the media will be hopping onboard the JF train again.

And you know what, after all I really rag on him and the things I say - it be finally be something he deserves when he starts getting these positive articles that have already starting coming out after the live practice, but the many more that I'm sure is to come.

I can finally say that I just hope he continues on his current track, as it's become a little clearer his mindset seriously needed to change, and perhaps has.

---

Danny Shelton cannot be contained with one man, regardless who it was. When he and Nate Orchard flew in on JF, come on guys... tell me that didn't throw a smile on your face. If not just for a second or two, had to see a smile there!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Honestly don't think we keep Thad, LOL. Everybody else back there looks , if not sold, much improved. Nice to see crisp patterns as well. Beats playing "Where's Waldo" with Gordon.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
--Oh, and LOL at Solomon Wilcot's. He was acting like the Browns were the greatest franchise in the NFL.

I thought that was a given!!! LOL!

Thanks for the scoop I recorded watching later.

I can't wait until first preseason game to see what falls out in a more game setting.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Thanks for your notes...Manziels first pass Lenz stopped running or else it was a perfect long pass maybe for a TD. The kid is accurate in his throws and has a much stronger arm than I thought.

Hawkins caught a pass from Manziel on an out.

Solomon impressed me. Sorry Mingo but you will not have your spot back when you come back. Solomon blew by and I mean blew...Schwartz although Schwartz didn't give up and was able to catch up and ride him off - But if we were live on the QB I think he would have accelerated right around that corner and got to the QB. So not a good job by Schwartz on that play.

Shelton is excellent he slanted to his left and read the QB and just mirrored him so that he could not have the edge. Kid is SMART and GOOD. Can't believe I was afraid of the pick when we made it. He is awesome. Orchard is good as well...need some seasoning.

Barnidge looking good as that WR TE...I don't know if the kid Hausler will make the team. Not that he played bad...just too many playing better. Hartline...so key. McCown looked like I expected. Note he was going against one of the best DB units in the NFL. But the OL was not going all out Intense. Can't wait for us to play against OTHER TEAMS!

Kickers looked good I think they made everything...including a 54 yard FG? and all the extra points.

Benji made the fair catches there were no Gunners coming at him so hard to tell. But if that says something he should be our 5th WR and Pryor would be 6??? Hope he gets healthy quick!

I didn't see any passes to the RBs...did you?

Later guys big game for the Pitbulls!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I missed the beginning of the scrimmage, but I thought that I read where Manziels first attempt ended in a TD?

Also, on the Browns App, it says that Lenz caught 4 balls from 3 different QB's. Kid has some skills.

Totally shocked by Manziel.. Could it be that he might just work out? fingerscrossed

Shelton is HUGE and Quick.

Epps I think is his name.. UDFA TE. Not bad at all.

Justin Gilbert broke up a sure TD.. may have hurt his arm or wrist.. looked like it a little.

Hartline is exactly what I'd have hoped for. He'll catch a lot of balls this year.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Vambo #983212 08/08/15 08:57 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
--I thought Lenz was the star of the scrimmage. That guy has some quick feet. Very decisive.
Lenz makes plays, he destroyed us last year in preseason think he was with the Rams at the time? I dont know what 5 or 6 we will keep but some talent will be cut

--I liked #52. Can't remember his name. I believe he was a late-round pick out of USC. He attacks the gap. Good instincts.
He caught my eye as well, really showed great instincts to anticipate. There were a few holes but he forced plays away from them

--Can't the Browns find a professional writer. The first thing I see is this subheading: "Josh McCown ignites the offense." Ignites? That word was both deceptive and amateurish. It's a word you tell your 5th graders to use to give your piece a voice.
If he had shelton ignites the defense I could have agreed with the title but McCown looked like average backup in a scrimmage

--Speaking of McCown: Noticeable difference between how he looked during the 7-on7's vs full-team when guys were actually in the same zip code as he was in. Sheesh, he leaves the pocket when he had time to stay in it [and they can't even hit him] and throws a dirt-ball at the feet of the WR--I think it was Moore.I worry about a lot of stuff I saw with him.

--The run-blocking didn't look to be opening any holes. It's gonna be a tough year on offense if Manziel doesn't become magical. Mack didnt play but Shelton and Orchard really impressed the hell out of me. Nate is looking like a steal and Shelton's hand technique has already improved from last year.

--Speaking of JM, I thought he looked good. I don't think we should put a tight leash on him in terms of his athleticism. Let him play like Wilson does.I thought Shelton was gonna pancake him on that one play lol but I really came away impressed with what I saw. He looks effortless slinging it.

--I liked that TE......what's his name? Bibbs? That's Mourg's boy, right? He looks the part. Good height, athletic and strong build, runs well, pretty smooth movements. Why didn't he go higher in the draft? Injuries?Bibbs had some leg injuries and played through them and it killed his stock but the kid imho was the 2nd best te behind Maxx and may have a greater upside. The ball he caught from Manziel for the TD was amazing, that ball had major heat and it was going away from him. It just disappeared in his big mitts

--Oh, and LOL at Solomon Wilcot's. He was acting like the Browns were the greatest franchise in the NFL. Solomon may remember how we looked in preseason a year ago lol He sucks but he and Mike did well for a scrimmage

Legend
Legend
I'm still glad that I don't have to make the call on cutting players from the WR corp ... not that we have stars or huge names, but we have some depth of players with some upside. Don't be shocked if we keep 7 WR and 4 RB because we'll only keep 2 QB and 1 less OL because of Erving's versatility

Bowe
Hartline
Hawkins
Gabriel
Pryor
Benjamin
Lenz

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We very well might end up with a wr corp that has the best #4,5,6 in the league and the worst 1,2.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #983222 08/08/15 10:22 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Jester
We very well might end up with a wr corp that has the best #4,5,6 in the league and the worst 1,2.

But I'd think that would mean they were at least productive even if no one individual is blowing it up?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I'm still glad that I don't have to make the call on cutting players from the WR corp ... not that we have stars or huge names, but we have some depth of players with some upside. Don't be shocked if we keep 7 WR and 4 RB because we'll only keep 2 QB and 1 less OL because of Erving's versatility

Bowe
Hartline
Hawkins
Gabriel
Pryor
Benjamin
Lenz

While I like this list, do you think Mayle doesn't make the team? I understand he has size but he also has issues with drops ala Little. Now that could be because of his thumb injury, but also it seems that was an issue in college.

After the first 4 on your list, things get a little merky with this group. Tough decisions to make for a coach.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am referring to talent not production.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
HewDawg #983240 08/08/15 11:45 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: HewDawg

Bowe
Hartline
Hawkins
Gabriel
Pryor
Benjamin
Lenz

While I like this list, do you think Mayle doesn't make the team? I understand he has size but he also has issues with drops ala Little. Now that could be because of his thumb injury, but also it seems that was an issue in college.

After the first 4 on your list, things get a little merky with this group. Tough decisions to make for a coach.

mayle doesnt deserve it IMO ... he hasn't had a good camp thus far and can't shake the drops (I know he's coming off injury ... but it's always been a problem for him) ... I think we're considering Pryor a "Rookie" WR and he's got more upside.

HewDawg #983250 08/08/15 12:18 PM
Legend
Legend
I just did the numbers, and I have a hard time seeing 7 WR, even if we only keep 2 QB ... but if we do ......

Here is how I see things as of right now, if we keep 7 WR:

K: 1 (Someone)
P: 1 Lee
LS: 1 Hughlett
QB: 2 McCown, Manziel
OL: 8 Thomas, Bitonio, Mack, Greco, Schwartz, Erving, Bowie, (Seymour or Painter)
WR: 7 Bowe, Hartline, Gabriel, Hawkins, Benjamin, Mayle, Pryor
FB: 1 Johnson
RB: 4 West, Crowell, Draughn, Duke Johnson
TE: 4 Housler, Dray, Barnett, Bibbs
DL: 8 D. Bryant, Starks, Shelton, Kitchen, Cooper, Hughes, A. Bryant, (Taylor or Winn)
LB: 7 Dansby, Kirksey, Kruger, Robertson, Orchard, Solomon, Mingo
DB: 8 Haden, Williams, Williams, Whitner, Gipson, Desir, Poyer, Bademosi, Gilbert, Campbell (I think that Bademosi needs to show something on defense .... or another guy could take his spot ... which I would hate to see given his special teams prowess)

Rookies making the team would be:
Erving, Mayle, Malcolm Johnson, Duke Johnson, Bibbs, Shelton, Cooper, Orchard, and Campbell

Not making the team, and probably being practice squad bound would be:
Gaines, Pullard

IR:
Telfer, Ekpre-Olomu

I keep the 4 RB, 4 TE, and a FB because I think that we are going to run the ball a lot.

I keep only 8 OL because we should have a great OL, and exceptional backups in the next 2 .... and a capable guy in the 3rd spot.

7 WR is probably 1 too many, but I did this list with that premise.

We kept 2 QB much of last year, so I think that could be the case again, probably with Shaw on the Practice Squad again.

8 DL would usually be too many for a 3-4 team, but I think that we are going to run a lot of 4 man fronts as well. Pettine also wants to run whole units on the DL, so that indicates an extra guy or 2 here.

I think that 7 LB is a concession tot he DL. Also, I included Armonty Bryant as a DL, but he could swing to LB as well.

10 DB is probably right, Most teams would keep 6 CB and 4 S .... but I think that 5/5 might be right, given Pettine's love of playing 3 S in certain defenses.

I still think that it will be hard to keep 7 WR, and if we keep 6, I think that it will be hard to have 3 of them under 5'10". This is why I eliminated Lenz too. I saw a picture of him celebrating his TD with Manziel, and he looked about the same height as Manziel, if he was that tall.

Anyway, that's my initial thoughts on the roster as of today.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How are you going to keep this Kid Lenz of the field ?

Legend
Legend
Our rosters would be pretty similar Ytown ... I probably wouldn't put Housler on the team right now, Lenz for Mayle has to be discussed, and I actually think West is an option to be cut as well

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I can't see West being cut considering that his rookie season wasn't bad at all. If anything I can see this Lenz being swapped with Mayle if the dropsies don't stop.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
4 backs I go 3 RBs and a FB with another RB stashed on the PS
7 OL with a couple stashed on PS
2 QBs with Shaw on PS
3 TE's
5 WRs

I prefer keeping a tad more defensive players on the active roster and more offensive players on the practice squad if that makes sense.

Legend
Legend
wow 5 WRs?

Who would you choose to be your five right now?

I'd have a tough time keeping less than 6, maybe even 7

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If I had to make a decision today. Gabriel 1, Hartline 2, Pryor, Lenz and I would probably look for another receiver. I just aint a big fan of Hawk, Bowe or Benji. Hell I could keep 4 and add another TE. I like 2 TE sets anyway lol

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
If I had to make a decision today. Gabriel 1, Hartline 2, Pryor, Lenz and I would probably look for another receiver. I just aint a big fan of Hawk, Bowe or Benji. Hell I could keep 4 and add another TE. I like 2 TE sets anyway lol

Wow! Hawk on the outside? That's a pretty bold statement my friend

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just got done watching the scrimmage. For a scrimmage, I thought the Browns looked pretty good, but I did see a lot of QBs staring down WRs. Even when the QBs went through their progressions, they would tend to lock on to their WR of choice for a couple seconds before the ball was released.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

I semi agree with you (not a huge Bowe or Benji fan) but I do like Hawkins.

If I had to trim our roster to 6 I'd go

1. Bowe
2. Hartline
3. Hawkins
4. Gabriel
5. Pryor
6. Benjamin/Lenz

If you go Benjamin, maybe Lenz sneaks on the PS
If you go Lenz, obviously we trust someone else as PR

I'd say goodbye to Mayle

Jester #983289 08/08/15 03:12 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Jester

so... the way New Orleans was for years.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
No answer. Just a playmaker! REALLY impressed!

New Brennan?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Scrimmage stuff

Link Copied to Clipboard