Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Mac - You're not seriously suggesting we wait and let them play a few regular season games before we judge the team are you???

88...well, yea, that is what I believe I'm suggesting. thumbsup

Last edited by mac; 08/15/15 07:48 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #985828 08/15/15 07:54 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I think Manziel looked better. Here is why:

--made quicker reads
--was more decisive in his throws
--scrambled when he should have
--bought time while playing behind a garbage OL [Bowie and Erving really struggles. Bowie especially]
--stood in the pocket when he should have

mac #985843 08/15/15 08:42 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We have to give it some time. We have new players, especially at qb, a new O coordinator, alot of guys hurt and new schemes. If we dominated this game and won 31-7 it doesn't mean we're headed to the Superbowl. Be patient. This does get old but it is where we are like it or not.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
1. He didn't have the starters and unfortunately Defensive #2s and 3s are much more talented in numbers than OL 2nd n 3rd tiers. Similar to WRs vs CBs...it is predicated on skill sets readily available.

2. The OL has no unity...as does the many pieces out there...he its the 2's. As the preseason progresses we will see more #1s play longer especially if the injuries (most small) start coming back healthy.

3. Notice Hartline with his catch of a Manziel pass. He was pulled out of there - No proof mind you but I betcha he snuck out there to give him some stability.

4. More of the same...don't know what you several who claim they saw no improvement from last year. His footwork was much better. He looked much much quicker in everything that he did and I think because HE KNOWS NOW and is more Comfortable. He stayed in the pocket when there was one.

He ran once and scored a TD. Did He get sacked??? If not that is very unusual for a QB who runs out of the pocket the one I saw under duress he escaped...looked down field...looked and at the last second threw the ball away.

When he had the guys that might make the roster on the field his first two series with some 1's here and there he did well. Then it became helter skelter and it was mayhem.

Manziel Last year is not the Manziel you saw out there whether you realize it or not...Not the same.

Do I think he should start...no McCown has done nothing to lose that status if anything he cemented that down.

But if the worst happens and McCown goes down or goes into a funk of skunk proportions - we have a viable option in Manziel and the more he learns the better he is going to be. Cause he is showing progress and the ability on his current PATH to be a valid Starter.

Bone...value of deserved pick. If he makes it - he is worth every bit of his draft status. That is what determines his Value!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #985847 08/15/15 09:05 AM
Legend
Legend
IMO, the only thing Manziel will have to overcome is his height. Not so confident he can do that. He can make plays, but his vision in the middle of the field will be on not what he sees, but more of anticipation and timing with the WR. I see lots of INT's coming from him bc of that.

He will become very predictable in that his throws will be to the sidelines, or to his checkdown. That won't win us games.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
mac #985849 08/15/15 09:15 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: mac
chris and the negative nannies...everyone is entitled to their opinions...BUT..playing one pre-season game does not define a season!

The very first game since Dec 28th, 2014 and coaches are still "evaluating" their talent,trying different combinations, allowing many of our starters to set out for various reasons...and you and a few other's have it all figured out?

If you use the final score of the first pre-season game as a basis for your opinion, imo that is a little premature and a bit foolish.

It will take time for both the offense and defense to gel and it does not happen according to a certain schedule.

If anyone on here knows mac personally, please reach out to him and make sure he's ok. It appears an imposter has gotten a hold of his username. tongue

mac #985850 08/15/15 09:15 AM
C
1st String
1st String
C
If I had a doallar for everytime I heard..."It's only pre-season"..."They are fine tuning things..."The coaches need time to implement their offense" ect...Come on,they built another version of the Ford Pinto again,and I'm not going to sit here and pretend it's a Mustang. Being a Browns fan yourself,you should know by now that 20-17 losses are the kind of games we major in. Heck,I think they we may own the screenplay rights to that script by now. Anyways,that's fine if you guys want to be "Homers" or "Optimists",
but to be questioning why anyone would come to the conclusions I am about this franchise,is laughable at this point. No sir,I'm not buying anymore apple pies from this establishment,until I taste the goods first. You'll still see me cheering on the team Sunday's in a game thread,and loving every win ect,but expect me to laugh when they stike out with the bases loaded and no outs too.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Being a Browns fan yourself,you should know by now that 20-17 losses are the kind of games we major in.

dude...you need to learn how to evaluate "pre-season" games.

Skins #1 offense had the ball first and our #1 defense held them, forcing a punt. Yes, one man (Gilbert) almost blew the defensive effort, getting stupid, forgetting his #1 job is to cover his man. There is a certain amount of luck in every game and the Browns D held, forcing a punt..job done.

The Browns first team Offense looked good with McCown leading the offense to a 7-0 lead.in the first quarter. McCown's night was done.

The Browns #1 defense held Griffin and the Skins to a 33 yd fg making the score 7-3 Browns up, with 34 seconds left in the 1st qtr.

At that point, the football game for both teams #1s was over...

...then a new game began with Manziel entering the game behind all #2 Oline. Manziel scored in 2nd qtr..but understand, that has no bearing on how the #1s did.

...at the beginning of the 3rd qtr, Manziel ran one series of plays, ending in a punt...at that point the Browns began to use #3 and #4 for the rest of the game.

If you want to get an idea how your team is doing, you have to learn how divide a preseason game into 3 parts.

The average fan doesn't understand how gauge a preseason game, preferring to only focus on the final score to determine how well your team is doing.

Bottom line, our #1s on both sides of the ball looked ok, but there is a lot more work to do.

Last edited by mac; 08/15/15 10:45 AM.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I saw ZERO improvement. In fact, I saw SEVERE regression.
That 100 man d-line that "Text" got us looked like a bunch of stiffs.

SuperBrown you do realize Browns offense scored one TD last year in all of preseason. Fact, they double last year in one game. To me, that is greater than zero in improvement, and doubling TDs seems like a progression not a regression.

As for the DL, I thought the interior did well. OLBs struggled with containment. One could factor players are over zealous trying to show things to stand out. Being this is the first preseason game and new players being added it may take a little time for the unit to get timing down.

mac #985883 08/15/15 10:51 AM
Legend
Legend
mac:

good post.

I admire your persistence... but-
good luck going forward.

Maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

I think our friends Mr. Pierce and SuperBrown might be suffering from "Battered Dawg Syndrome"... and there's only one cure for that. WE aren't that cure, you know?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
It's just me, but I think a player should actually accomplish something in the league before developing a 'signature.'

He already did that, in spades. Unfortunately it was not in this league. I agree now that it shouldn't have been carried over. Apparently, so does he.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Seemed to show discipline, made a play call on his own, ran well when he should have and where he should have for the score. Improved, and showed solid growth, and I guess most of all, relied on his team rather than his feet as first go to. And I agree with your list as well.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
This was a different Manziel IMO. Your description would be accurate for what I saw that upset me last season. But he improved with his decisions, so I expect the head to be ahead of the execution in 1st pre-season with 2+ string.
Frame it differently, perhaps. I thought he was worlds better if Iwere setting a bar with JM's performance than where I would set the bar for a Lewis performance which I thought was almost as awful as Manziel's worst last year. JMOs, but they disagree with your post but no big deal either way.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
"Battered Dawg Syndrome"...

clem...I never considered the possibility of "BDS"

...the cure is in the developmental stages..some don't understand the need for patience.

Last edited by mac; 08/15/15 03:18 PM.

mac #985948 08/15/15 04:04 PM
Legend
Legend
I can understand the lack of patience in the younger crowd here. They aren't like us, who've seen the Browns play playoff caliber football for successive seasons. All they know are the false promises, calls for patience and the crap that's been on the field since '99. To them it seems all but impossible to field a consistently winning team....they expect the same 'ol same 'ol and feel there's no reason to expect otherwise. I can hardly blame them. Although my 18yo son is a diehard fan, he's not getting his hopes up until he sees results on the field. I'm sick of trying to convince him that "this will be the year".

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
mac #986611 08/18/15 12:37 PM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Winning is the cure all wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #986657 08/18/15 03:40 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Amen Brother ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
mac #986729 08/18/15 08:24 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: mac
[quote]"Battered Dawg Syndrome"...

...the cure is in the developmental stages..some don't understand the need for patience.
[/quote/]

That is a great sentence. So true.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, Brown's fans aren't patient. Heck, we just won a Championship in 1964----just a few short years ago.

eotab #986731 08/18/15 08:41 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Lol, funny, but I was actually referring to the first part of what I quoted.... at this stage, where the Browns are as a team.... The cure IS in the development. Btw I've enjoyed your posts as of late.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't ripping you.......just couldn't pass up a shot at being sarcastic. Been a rough week returning to the grind or working in a field where you are underpaid, under appreciated, overworked, and asked to work many more hours than you are paid for.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I wasn't ripping you.......just couldn't pass up a shot at being sarcastic. Been a rough week returning to the grind or working in a field where you are underpaid, under appreciated, overworked, and asked to work many more hours than you are paid for.

If you are "underpaid, under appreciated, over worked, and work many more hours than you are paid for" - get a different damn job.

I know many, MANY teachers that love what they do, appreciate the pay, and love the benefits that come with it. If it doesn't suit you, come to the other side. I believe, if memory serves me, you had a previous job where you were making way, WAY good money, right?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Johnny Manziel has a Texas A&M moment near end of practice

Link

The Bills’ vaunted pass rush took this play off. Instead, they dropped eight into coverage as Manziel and the second-team offense looked to cross into the end zone from about 5 or so yards out.

The ball was snapped and Manziel looked through his reads. He found nothing. He scrambled to his left, looking to make a throw against his body. Once again finding nothing, Manziel stopped and reversed field, running a few more yards backward to avoid one of the few Bills pass rushers. When he reached the far hash marks, Manziel uncorked a well-placed pass to running back Timothy Flanders, who jumped and caught it in the back of the end zone.
laugh

One problem: Flanders didn’t get both feet in bounds, and the result was an incompletion. frown

“It’s obviously a time where they’re not going to have a lot of guys rushing and you’ve got to buy some time,” Manziel said. “More than anything just have a little fun for a little bit and run around. not do anything that’s dangerous and not do anything silly. Either our ball or nobody’s ball in the back of the end zone.”

Manziel’s day was a mixed bag. He was on the throwing end on one of the best offensive plays of the practice when he connected with Shane Wynn on a deep pass. He also threw an interception in the red zone earlier in the practice, as he threw off his back foot into a crowd on fourth down.

Manziel will be the second quarterback used against the Bills on Thursday. He could play into the third quarter depending on how many snaps he gets in the first half.

"Just progress, really that's it,” Manziel said, detailing his goals for his second preseason game. “Do better than last week. We scored once last week let’s get in twice last week."
thumbsup

Vambo #986775 08/19/15 01:02 AM
Legend
Legend
Throwing a pick into a crowd on fourth down isn't really that bad. If you're not going to score, at least give your guy a chance at it. better than throwing the ball out of bounds.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I think the words "Back Foot" was the key mistake not the decision. Of course not seeing the circumstances and the yardage and down - if 4th then its ok as long as it is not a pick 6. If 3rd you give up 3 points never good giving up points. If 2nd or less better to throw it away. But again the key words for me was "back foot" throwing it off of which means no zip to it and floated a bit. Throw on the run ok but not back foot. He did that a lot in college and usually had a good miss match with Evans. not in the NFL.

jmho...as long as it is far and few between I'm ok. If it becomes a habit, not good.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #986813 08/19/15 09:07 AM
Legend
Legend
they said it was fourth down.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Thanks - as mentioned above...4th down then its a good move as long as there is no chance of a pick 6.

I agree with your statement 100%.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #987798 08/21/15 08:48 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Everyone knows I rip this kid alot, but the improvements from last year up to this point are just incredibly obvious and clear.

He needs to continue exactly, 100% exactly, on his current path. It's so refreshing seeing him make big plays and no money sign or immaturity. Heck he barely even celebrates.

The articles about his focus and etc all seem to be validated. I'm not saying he should be starter, but I am saying the kid seems to be on the right track!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
I'm not saying he should be starter, but ...

IMO, we're a 5 or 6 win team regardless which of our QBs plays; of course he should be the starter. We need to know at the end of this season whether he's our guy going forward, or not.

eotab #987808 08/21/15 09:26 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will say it like this.

Johnny is close to being ready to be the QB of the Browns. I think he needs live reps. He needs #1 reps against #1 defenses. He is improving and will continue to improve.

McCown is a career backup on his 6th or 7th team. He is who he is.

I let Josh rest the finger this week and let Johnny play 3 or 4 quarters. I come out and say Josh is still my #1 but we are gonna let him heal up this week and give Johnny some valuable reps.

Johnny sucks, there is no issue now going with Josh he has been in the league 16 years he doesnt need those reps as much anyway and you still have preseason game 4. If Johnny passes the test, then you can go with Johnny as he is our future anyway.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
I will say it like this.

Johnny is close to being ready to be the QB of the Browns. I think he needs live reps. He needs #1 reps against #1 defenses. He is improving and will continue to improve.

McCown is a career backup on his 6th or 7th team. He is who he is.

I let Josh rest the finger this week and let Johnny play 3 or 4 quarters. I come out and say Josh is still my #1 but we are gonna let him heal up this week and give Johnny some valuable reps.

Johnny sucks, there is no issue now going with Josh he has been in the league 16 years he doesnt need those reps as much anyway and you still have preseason game 4. If Johnny passes the test, then you can go with Johnny as he is our future anyway.

I think this is Josh's 9th team..I'd have to check but I think so.

I actually thought that Johnny played his best game as a Brown last night. Funny how we can all watch the same game and come away with different opinions.

Mayle catches that last pass and we still have a chance of a FG to win.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wow 9th lol.

It was the best johnny has looked and dropped passes and guys standing around killed that last drive. I didnt fault him for that one. mayle dropped 2 first downs. We had a couple called back due to penalties and we get a first if Mayle catches the ball that hit him in the hands.

Overall, he impressed me. The TD throw, he had a linebacker one on one the only man between himself and the endzone and he pulls up throws a beautiful pass to Wynn.

Last year he couldnt get a playcall in. Last night he is making line adjustments, calling audibles and he put us in good positions using his brain. He checked into runs that were really effective.

Couple plays I thought he was a little to eager to get the ball out quickly but the issues I saw was more of needing game experience than not ready.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree with Mourg. Manziel looked pretty good and McCown's INT's gave me a bad feeling for the coming season.

I also thought Wynn may have won his spot on the team while Mayle pretty much sealed a trip to the PS.

But many things can happen so we'll see.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Manziel showed me the same things that really made me like Brian Hoyer when he played that fourth preseason game a couple of years ago. Hoyer just seemed to understand wha he was doing and where he needed to go with the ball. I saw a lot of that from Manziel last night.

I also saw that competitive fire that he displayed in college return. He was pissed at his WRs at the end, and I don't blame him.

He also looked like a poor man's Russell Wilson on that last drive. Really elusive, but elusive to buy time to create a throw. Really composed.

Color me extremely encouraged. This could be the biggest 180 we've ever witnessed. This isn't just Manziel being a good QB, this is a cat changing his stripes. Completely changing the person he was.

The media in Cleveland is going to hate this. Most of them hate Manziel and if he turns it around they won't have much to complain about. Then they also have to give Farmer some credit and maybe back off the fire Farmer campaign. This is terrible for guys like Grossi and McManaman.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Grossi will find something negative to spin off. That's almost a guarantee.

Legend
Legend
wow 9th lol.

It was the best johnny has looked and dropped passes and guys standing around killed that last drive. I didnt fault him for that one. mayle dropped 2 first downs. We had a couple called back due to penalties and we get a first if Mayle catches the ball that hit him in the hands.

Overall, he impressed me. The TD throw, he had a linebacker one on one the only man between himself and the endzone and he pulls up throws a beautiful pass to Wynn.

Last year he couldnt get a playcall in. Last night he is making line adjustments, calling audibles and he put us in good positions using his brain. He checked into runs that were really effective.

Couple plays I thought he was a little to eager to get the ball out quickly but the issues I saw was more of needing game experience than not ready.

I've since checked, and the Browns are McCowns "10th" Team if you count what I think is an Arena league team,,,,, Yikes

I also saw Mayle catch a nice pass by Manziel. He's got work to do to be thought of as reliable.

I'd really REALLY like to see Manziel with the 1's against the 1's of Tampa Bay next week. Not asking him to start as I doubt that will happen, but if for no other reason than just to satisfy my curious nature. I think we'd all like to see it.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
wow 9th lol.

I've since checked, and the Browns are McCowns "10th" Team if you count what I think is an Arena league team,,,,, Yikes

I also saw Mayle catch a nice pass by Manziel. He's got work to do to be thought of as reliable.

I'd really REALLY like to see Manziel with the 1's against the 1's of Tampa Bay next week. Not asking him to start as I doubt that will happen, but if for no other reason than just to satisfy my curious nature. I think we'd all like to see it.

That may happen in pre-season game #4, although the #1 O/line may not make much of an appearance either...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
eotab #987853 08/21/15 12:49 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
We all know what McCown is, we saw a glimpse of it last night. He is really, really bad. This team's highest ceiling has Manziel at QB. He needs to start.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
wow 9th lol.

That may happen in pre-season game #4, although the #1 O/line may not make much of an appearance either...

Since I wrote that it probably won't happen, there are now reports that McCowns ring finger is dinged. Not sure yet how serious.

I can see them holding McCown out of the Tampa game and for sure we'll see Manziel start with the 1's. And I would guess if that happens, it will be an extended time.

If McCown is banged up too much, who would be get to be our "OLD PRO"!

Last edited by Damanshot; 08/21/15 01:32 PM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
We all know what McCown is, we saw a glimpse of it last night. He is really, really bad. This team's highest ceiling has Manziel at QB. He needs to start.

+100 McCown has peaked already and hit his pinnacle years ago...Manziel needs to be brought along...Just wish he had more weapons

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Manziel Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard