Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Upon a deeper look with the offense,this what I have concluded.

Flip and the existing talent are a not a good fit for each other.

Flip is a 1st year play caller. working with a QB who's been with more teams than the CFL has a total of
another QB who isn't quite ready to step in as a #1 and has a ways to go.
has a core of RBs in which neither has claimed the starting role.
a core of WR's who have good hands but no one WR commands a double team downfield.
a core of TEs who collectively aren't the Top 16 of the NFL.

now you go to the other side. You have a mesh mash of talent on offense working with a 1st year OC.

my point nether Flip or the pieces assembled don't compliment each other.
look at the other AFC North offenses..their talent and OCs compliment each other.

I just don't see a good marriage.

when was the last time the Browns had a OC that was really any good? Daboll was a favorite around here for whatever reason. Carthpn did everything with a crayon.
I think Shanhan had a real idea what he wanted.

This offense is gonna struggle badly. The QB hamstrings the OC and the OC hamstrings the offense.

Legend
Legend
I'm not sure what Flip's style is or what OC would match our talent on offense, but I'm pretty confident in one statement:

If we had a franchise QB most, if not all, of our offensive deficiencies would be hidden.

Our line would be dominant because teams couldn't stack the box or blitz like crazy, our RBs would have fewer tacklers to contend with, our WRs would benefit from accurate passes and a smart deliverer.

Basically, give us Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Luck, Ben, Manning, etc ... and we'd be considered Super Bowl contenders

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
How can one make this assessment after two preseason games where players are being rotated in and out, there is no scheming of the other team in likely any fashion, there's about as vanilla and base formations as can be and the list continues.

You don't even know how or really what Flip's offense is going to be, so IMO, a bit judgmental. There are a lot of shifts going on in practice, but we've not seen any really in these preseason games. We've not seen Flip's real offense yet.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
How can one make this assessment after two preseason games where players are being rotated in and out, there is no scheming of the other team in likely any fashion, there's about as vanilla and base formations as can be and the list continues.

You don't even know how or really what Flip's offense is going to be, so IMO, a bit judgmental. There are a lot of shifts going on in practice, but we've not seen any really in these preseason games. We've not seen Flip's real offense yet.

Well said.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
If the Browns offense came out and scored 14 pts against the Bills in its 1st 2 drives I wouldn't be hearing all these apologies for Flip and the offense.
I heard the same excuses under other Browns OC's every preseason.

go by what your eyes see,not blind optimism.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The biggest problem with the offense is the pre snap formations, the pre snap line up and all of it from the spacing between the offensive linemen to the placement of the tight end, even the skill players.

This has been a problem for fifteen FREAKING years. What it manifests into, is not just a lack of good pass protection, but no pass protection whatsoever.

First thing I'd do is rip those hash marks off the practice field, so the line could start lining up with varying distances between their shoulders. Mix up the gaps, stand wider apart,
It's called multiple sets, isn't it.

And maybe, just maybe, once in a while, the Qb wouldn't instantly check down to an almost pick 6 for a wideout to the sideline for a 0-2 yard gain with absolutely NO CHANCE for a first down,

Just because the D shows a blitz.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Can you explain what you mean by this THROW LONG?

I'm not being a jerk .... I'm curious because I'm not an X and O guy at all.

What do you mean by presnap formations, etc?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Not to mention all the injuries we've had to our backs and receivers. To early to judge. Have to get healthy.

Legend
Legend
The problem is that we don't have NFL caliber skill position players or QB.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The patience that we must show to allow the time for the various factors to gel...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
would Tim Couch have been successful with this current line, the WRs and the RBs?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Yes,I believe he would have. He had more talent than anyone we currently have.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Well said.

YEP !! And yes, I think Couch would be successful - certainly more successful than McCown and Johnnie !

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper

go by what your eyes see,not blind optimism.

My In saw a preseason game.

Joe Thomas #73
C
Legend
Legend
C
The QB is Josh McCown.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Well, if the field is 53 yards wide, the amount of that space which the offense occupies with it's formation, from tackle to tackle, or tight end to tight end, is what I'm referring to. The 1997 Denver Broncos used one particular formation, in their Super Bowl, where in they neutralized the Packers safety's ability to blitz or tackle runningbacks, and this was noted during the commentary. I don't think the Browns ever line up that wide.
If you satellite view the Berea practice field, as of a few years ago, there appear hash marks, 5 wide, where in a Line could spot themselves to line up shoulder width apart, at a couple points on that field. Now if the line always lines up with the same width between them, which I feel is too narrow for some times, then it would be predictable.
Varying the width from tackle to tackle could at times give the defenses less predictable lanes with which to manifest that the Browns have suddenly no pocket, and no pass protection.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 08/22/15 01:41 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
our main problem on offense is that no system stays in place long enough for it to be second nature and no QB lasts long enough to build any real chemistry with his teammates. It matters a lot when a QB and WR know mentally how the other likes to get out of a tough situation because everything happens so fast there is no real time to think. You have to read and react instantly and with no real chemistry that just doesn't happen quickly enough.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Okay I got ya ... so the spacing in between linemen can tipoff the defense in different ways ... yet you're saying the Browns never vary their spacing, which makes stuff obvious/easier on the D

I actually didn't know you could vary your spacing, but now that I think about it that's a good point

Thanks

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
A few weeks is not enough time to install and learn how to run a complex offense.

Any way you want to slice it, a new OC with his own playbook for the offensive guys adds up to a reload, as in here we go again.

I realize Flip is expected to be the Browns OC for the next few years, but that does not change what the 2015 season is for this group of offensive players. It is another year of learning a bunch of new stuff.

Add a new offensive scheme to a less than stable QB situation and it adds up to another offensive unit that is going to need "time to gel"...just like last season (2014)..and the season before (2013).

Again, Browns fans will be asked to be patient..

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Is complex always better?
The story with the Browns is always the same
New 1st yr OC comes in with all these ideas and ends up failing.
Never to have another OC job in the NFL again when he's replaced by another 1st yr OC.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Never to have another OC job in the NFL again when he's replaced by another 1st yr OC.

Yeah, like Norv Turner and Rob Chudzinski!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

And Brad Childress!

I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Childress is a OC for who now?
Chud is getting coffee and snacks for who..the Colts?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Childress is a OC for who now?
Chud is getting coffee and snacks for who..the Colts?

Chud the first time. Childress and Turner were not "new" first year coordinators.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Other former offensive coordinators:

Bruce Arians (what has he done?)
Jeff Davidson (later the Panthers offensive coordinator)
Brian Daboll (later the offensive coordinator for the Chiefs and the Dolphins)

Add them to Chud, Turner, Childress and you are way off.

The only coaches to leave the team and then not be a coordinator somewhere else are Maurice Carthon and Pete Carmichael.

But, yeah, keep making stuff up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No QB + NO playmakers + BAD GM = FAILURE and starting over again every year.

Legend
Legend
what would be your realistic solution to ending the cycle of ineptitude?

Hire Gruden to be GM/Coach
Draft one of the "Franchise" QB's next year
Sign best WRs/RBs possible

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

It is not a coincidence that we keeping turning over coaches and have no QB. Get the QB, stability magically comes.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

well that would be a start. proven coach, franchise QB, and the best WRs and RBs in the nfl.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

We hired Shanny last year and I thought he was excellent. He wanted out of town and got a job right away.

Many will paint Shanny as some evil villain, but it really irks me that we lost such a good coordinator because our front office was so meddlesome.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
Many will paint Shanny as some evil villain, but it really irks me that we lost such a good coordinator because our front office was so meddlesome.

I agree he was very good, but I don't think it was just the FO meddling. I think the building aspect of the situation was not for him. I think he is confident of what he can do, and wants a roster with talent.

I don't blame him, with a group of talented players, he could do some good. He has a bit of an ego, and I think he wants the headlines right now.

That being said, personally, I don't like him. He comes across. to me, as an arrogant baby. But, that's just me.

His competence has nothing to do with my feelings. He's going to be around for a long time with a lot of success. I just don't think he was a fit with a building franchise with a lot of growth needed. He wants it now and he wants it all. grin

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think that is the image that many are trying to paint, but I don't really believe that. I think he is very confident in his abilities and freaked out when the FO tried to tell the coaching staff which players to keep, release, and play.

I really don't think there was a problem between Shanny and Pet. Pet is simply doing the best he can to keep things rolling. I am almost positive he did NOT like the interference from the FO either, but he is smart enough to keep his mouth shut about it.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think that is the image that many are trying to paint, but I don't really believe that. I think he is very confident in his abilities and freaked out when the FO tried to tell the coaching staff which players to keep, release, and play.

I really don't think there was a problem between Shanny and Pet. Pet is simply doing the best he can to keep things rolling. I am almost positive he did NOT like the interference from the FO either, but he is smart enough to keep his mouth shut about it.

I disagree. Shanny took the Browns job because it was the last available. Philosophies set by Pettine and Farmer really don't show case Shanny's abilities. When he heard there was a chance in Atlanta, I think he did whatever it took to get out of Cleveland. I'm pretty sure the "text" card was one of the items played.

I like Shanny. Atlanta has more attributes fitting his style. Besides Ryan is a much better fit than either Hoyer or Manziel. I also think Manziel's immaturity didn't bring a vote of confidence. Shanny's goals is HC. It wasn't looking promising something good happening anytime soon.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Disagree w/what? You didn't address any of the points I made.

C
1st String
1st String
C
The main problem I see with the offense,is that they take the field. Other than that,they look pretty good.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Chrispierce
The main problem I see with the offense,is that they take the field. Other than that,they look pretty good.

rofl rofl rofl

Legend
Legend
I see a hell of a lot of this going on around here

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Disagree w/what? You didn't address any of the points I made.

I don't think Pettine and Shanny saw eye-to-eye. Why else does Pettine make it a priority understanding what the offense is doing this year? Supposedly he knows Flip. Yet he feels it is a must attending offensive meetings and study detail.

I have no proof. I think Shanny did his own thing. Pettine couldn't explain what Shanny was doing. It didn't make Pettine look good with his meetings with Ray. I'll bet there were decisions agreed upon by Ray and Pet. Those decisions weren't happening which led to a few "text" messages.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
Why else does Pettine make it a priority understanding what the offense is doing this year? Supposedly he knows Flip. Yet he feels it is a must attending offensive meetings and study detail.

guess he doesnt trust flip?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I have no proof. I think Shanny did his own thing. Pettine couldn't explain what Shanny was doing. It didn't make Pettine look good with his meetings with Ray. I'll bet there were decisions agreed upon by Ray and Pet. Those decisions weren't happening which led to a few "text" messages.

Again, I think that is untrue. I do think some posters mentioned the possibility of it and that led to other posters believing it was true, but the evidence does not suggest that. In fact, in Shanny's 30 some point presentation to Haslam, he talked about the coaching staff as one and how they were upset w/the interference from the FO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Biggest problem with the offense?

Link Copied to Clipboard