Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: WVDawg54
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
RGIII needs to go somewhere and sit behind a guy who will not be benched. Cleveland is not the place to do that. I think the perfect spot for him is in Arizona with Bruce Arians.

From the report, it seems that no one is interested. Aside from the injury concerns, that really truly surprises me. However, I don't think he fits into the fold here...

That speaks to personality.

S
Rookie
Rookie
S
Probably last about 3 series of plays!

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

So, with all of the analytics they use to evaluate their draft picks, you would think that some of these red flags would be raised. I mean, they will even go back and interview junior high coaches. Of course, we drafted Josh Gordon....

#gmstrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

So, with all of the analytics they use to evaluate their draft picks, you would think that some of these red flags would be raised. I mean, they will even go back and interview junior high coaches. Of course, we drafted Josh Gordon....

and a QB that has had arm problems since highschool......

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
C
Legend
Legend
C

I think many things in RGIII's personality changed after his very successful first season. Too much, too soon.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
RGIII needs to go somewhere and sit behind a guy who will not be benched. Cleveland is not the place to do that. I think the perfect spot for him is in Arizona with Bruce Arians.

From the report, it seems that no one is interested. Aside from the injury concerns, that really truly surprises me. However, I don't think he fits into the fold here...

When no one is interested in a trade, that just means they think he will be cut.

perhaps

I think it's more the contract though. Contractual status is an easily overlooked aspect of trade value and 16million+ guaranteed in 2016 for injury is pretty brutal for someone like RG3 (lengthy injury history and poor performance the last couple years to begin with.)

V
Legend
Legend
V
RGIII cannot read coverages. Once teams figured that out, they gameplanned to keep him in the pocket and beat them w/his reads. He has been unable to do that.

Compounding that huge problem, he is a prima donna who throws coaches and teammates under the bus. Most of his teammates don't like him. His coaches despise him.

He's arrogant. He is football dumb. He is selfish. He is fragile.

No wonder no one is interested.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
RGIII cannot read coverages. Once teams figured that out, they gameplanned to keep him in the pocket and beat them w/his reads. He has been unable to do that.

I had a post in this thread with an article showing RGIII reading coverages. He used to do it, but now he can't. Weird.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He never read coverages well. He was put into great situations by two brilliant offensive minds when he was a rookie. His running ability kept teams honest. Their running game was a force. Once teams realized that keeping RGIII in the pocket and making him read coverages, he faltered. This weakness was magnified because he was not the same runner he once was.

I would want no part of this guy.

R
Legend
Legend
R
The same thing happened to Kaepernick. Teams have figured out he can't beat you from the pocket.

That has to suck as a fan to believe you've finally hit on a QB only to see this happen in years 2 and 3.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Compounding that huge problem, he is a prima donna who throws coaches and teammates under the bus. Most of his teammates don't like him. His coaches despise him.

He's arrogant. He is football dumb. He is selfish. He is fragile.

No wonder no one is interested.

He is just another star QB that Shannahan failed to develop.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
He never read coverages well. He was put into great situations by two brilliant offensive minds when he was a rookie.

lmao playing fast and dangerous with RG3's running ability doesn't make them good coaches. They were morons who didn't properly develop him and deserved to be fired.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
He never read coverages well. He was put into great situations by two brilliant offensive minds when he was a rookie.

lmao playing fast and dangerous with RG3's running ability doesn't make them good coaches. They were morons who didn't properly develop him and deserved to be fired.

The Shanahans basically ran RGIII into the ground with read options. He went into that playoff severely hampered and then got destroyed even further.

Some will say that RGIII wanted to play and they couldn't do anything about it. I will say that it is a coach's job to protect a player when his judgment is clouded.

I will also say that Shanahan was probably under immense pressure from Snyder to play RGIII.

Like I have said previously, pretty much everyone failed with RGIII.

(And I didn't even mention Jay Gruden, who looks to be an ignoramus of the highest order.)

Legend
Legend

No one is interested in trading for him, paying a price to get him, and taking on his contract. (which jumps to $16 million next year, and is fully guaranteed)

I suspect that he would find a home fairly quickly if released, but people don't want to pay a price for him with his contract situation.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Didn't want him then, don't want him now. Damaged goods.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
So, there's this....

Who would have thought that there is a more dysfunctional organization?

End game? Per report, RG3 Finished as Starting QB

RG3 Done as Starter?

Is the end of the Robert Griffin III saga in Washington near? An ESPN report suggests it just might be.

According to the report, front office officials and coaches are prepared to move on from Griffin but they are meeting resistance from ownership. There have been trade talks involving Griffin but there has been no interest.

But, in any case, it appears that Griffin’s time as the starting quarterback here is near an end. According to the report, from Adam Schefter and Dianna Russini, there is a “groundswell of support from a strong segment of football people within the organization to change quarterbacks.”

In terms of either trading or releasing Griffin, they are meeting resistance from owner Daniel Snyder. It is uncertain if coach Jay Gruden, general manager Scot McCloughan, and others in the football part of the operation have the authority to remove Griffin from the roster against Snyder’s wishes.

But it is clear that McCloughan and Gruden can start either Kirk Cousins or Colt McCoy over Griffin. Per the report, they are “determined” to do so.

It appears that the end game is in process. Per the report, Gruden and Snyder have made up their minds that they think the team is better off without Griffin. Snyder needs to be convinced that it is the way to go or perhaps Griffin will ride out the season on the bench.

It’s going to be a messy week, folks. Buckle in. But the good news is that this mess could be over in a week or so.

I'd rather have Randy Lerner than Dan Snyder.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
The Shanahans basically ran RGIII into the ground with read options. He went into that playoff severely hampered and then got destroyed even further.

cfr...Imo, many believed RG3 running the read option, were going to change the way the QB position was played in the NFL.

The read option and running QBs were going replace the pocket passing QB, with RG3 leading the way.

...then RG3 met NFL caliber LBs and DBs who could deliver a beating.

Just heard, Cousins will be the starting QB

Last edited by mac; 08/31/15 09:08 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
Legend
Legend
C
RGIII will be a free agent by the end of the week. I wonder who will pick him up.

Legend
Legend
RGIII will be a free agent by the end of the week. I wonder who will pick him up.

It'd be hilarious if the Rams picked him up and figured out how to turn him into a QB.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D

Definitely someone is/would pull the trigger. I just can't fathom it coming with big numbers of guaranteed compensation, or maybe even big numbers of any type of compensation.

At some point, you just have to sit back and wonder, gaze upon the stars and ask yourself... is RGIII's next injury his last injury?

Poor Colt McCoy though. By giving Cousins the reigns, after him playing good for them and etc when plugged in and everyone there in Redskin land talking up the Colt McCoy storm and jazz - is basically saying the Redskins don't view him as nothing remotely close to a long-term answer. Cousins was playing so bad last season.

Eh, their problem and not ours thumbsup

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
ROBERT GRIFFIN III
TEAMMATES APPLAUD BENCHING
'Now We Can Start Winning'

8/31/2015 12:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

http://www.tmz.com/2015/08/31/robert-griffin-iii-teammates-blast-qb-now-we-can-start-winning/

Several members of the Washington Redskins tell TMZ Sports ... they're PUMPED the team is benching RG3 ... with one player saying, "Now we can start winning games."

We spoke with a handful of Redskins players -- all of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity -- and they were all on the same page ... they've been wanting the move for a while.

One player told us, "We're relieved. This is good for the team."

Another player was more blunt ... saying, "We have a better chance of winning with [Kirk Cousins] than Robert Griffin. Sometimes teams need a change and we obviously did."

Even the defense is excited -- with one starter saying, "The team is excited with the change. We are all looking forward to Kirk leading us this season."

As for Griffin, one player tells us it's not personal, it's just business -- "Robert is a professional. He will be ready when his number is called."

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

It'd be hilarious if the Rams picked him up and figured out how to turn him into a QB.

Can't wait to rub this in all my friends' faces who called the Browns ridiculous for not making that trade.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Can't wait to rub this in all my friends' faces who called the Browns ridiculous for not making that trade.

Well we tried to, there was just a better offer. And it's not like we hit on the picks we would have given up to get RGIII either.

(I didn't want to do the trade at the time either.)

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Well we tried to, there was just a better offer. And it's not like we hit on the picks we would have given up to get RGIII either.

(I didn't want to do the trade at the time either.)

Ours was different. Redskins had another future 1st. But yeah, I agree. We also screwed up that one trade for Trent where we gave up an extra 3rd? to move up a spot.

E
Legend
Legend
E
with one player saying, "Now we can start winning games."

lol...there is a lot more wrong with the Redskins besides RG3...
All these guys talking - ya better win or else your coach is going to get fired and NEW REGIME...hey sounds familiar...lol laugh

Hopefully those days are behind us! Nice to laugh at another team for a change.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
ROBERT GRIFFIN III

No matter how many times some people get hit in the face w/evidence, they still don't see the reality of the situation.

Yeah, it's the coaches fault. rolleyes

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
ROBERT GRIFFIN III

No matter how many times some people get hit in the face w/evidence, they still don't see the reality of the situation.

Yeah, it's the coaches fault. rolleyes

RGIII shoulders a lot of the blame. He was also mishandled. Gruden is also a doofus of the highest order.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Like I said, no matter how many times you get smacked in the face w/facts, you don't see the truth of the matter.

RGIII is a self-centered, overrated coach killer who just got what was coming to him.

C
Legend
Legend
C
RGIII is a self-centered, overrated coach killer who just got what was coming to him.

Yes. He was also mishandled.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
this reply has the sole intentions of rubbing it in to those that were pimping using 3 first round picks to trade up for RG3 and ripping me for wanting Tannehill with our #4 overall pick. Thats right folks, I was right and you were wrong

nanner

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
this reply has the sole intentions of rubbing it in to those that were pimping using 3 first round picks to trade up for RG3 and ripping me for wanting Tannehill with our #4 overall pick. Thats right folks, I was right and you were wrong

nanner

I didn't want either, so that puts me at even. I'll take that.

YTown, you have some explaining to do . . .

D
Legend
Legend
D
Legit question here for everyone...

Do you guys think this could be the last, or the beginning/start of a long time, before another blockbuster packaged deal is spent to move up to select someone? I mean three first rounders, a second round and/or whatever else they threw in to move up to acquire RGIII?

I mean, that hurt that organization pretty brutally and in many ways. It's a screwed up organization anyway, but this for sure set em' back even more.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Legit question here for everyone...

Do you guys think this could be the last, or the beginning/start of a long time, before another blockbuster packaged deal is spent to move up to select someone? I mean three first rounders, a second round and/or whatever else they threw in to move up to acquire RGIII?

I mean, that hurt that organization pretty brutally and in many ways. It's a screwed up organization anyway, but this for sure set em' back even more.

If teams believe there is a franchise QB available, then they will always offer huge amounts of picks. This was just a crazy scenario because the team in position to draft the QB thought they already had their QB (Bradford) on the roster. In most situations, the team will just draft the QB no matter what offers they have on the table (like the Titans with Mariota this off-season).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Holmgren offered the same deal for RG3 and possibly more. He was angry the Rams didnt take his better offer. Traded up from 4 to 3 for Trent Richardson and selected weeden at 22. MY GOODNESS that is the worst decisions in the history of the draft.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think that that particular trade has at the very least made GMs across the league cautious. I think that is the reason we didn't see any action for teams trying to really move-up for Winston or Mariotta.

That was a stupid trade from day one. I actually applauded the Browns for not making the trade. Of course, The Big Show had to come out and tell another lie about how he tried to make the trade and how Fisher blew him off because of a friend in Washington.......as if Fisher would really want to strengthen a conference opponent.

I really, really despise The Big Show. He was stealing from the Browns. Taking vacations during the season. SF, Arizona, Seattle. Not doing his homework. Threatening the fans and media w/hollow statements. Acting superior. Not giving a rat's butt about the team. He was a thief!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Holmgren offered the same deal for RG3 and possibly more. He was angry the Rams didnt take his better offer. Traded up from 4 to 3 for Trent Richardson and selected weeden at 22. MY GOODNESS that is the worst decisions in the history of the draft.

yea... it was holgren and not our GM....... tongue

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OO our GM was in love with Weeden like no other. He asctually shoved people out of the way so he could be the first to reach weeden to shake his hand at the end of his workout. I knew at that moment we were drafting that 30 year old spread QB.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think that that particular trade has at the very least made GMs across the league cautious. I think that is the reason we didn't see any action for teams trying to really move-up for Winston or Mariotta.

Didn't the Eagles offer a huge package for Mariota?

The rumored offer was this:

Two first-round picks
One third-round pick
Fletcher Cox, the team's best defensive player
Brandon Boykin, nickel corner
Sam Bradford, starting quarterback
Mychal Kendricks, starting linebacker

I would also be shocked if we didn't have both of our first round picks on the table.

In the end, if you believe there is a franchise QB available, you have to take them.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Rumored.

Nothing happened.

I still think that the RGIII trade has made teams more cautious about making such outlandish trades, just as the H. Walker and Ricky Williams' trades made teams more cautious about moving up back in the day.

Not saying it won't happen, but the failure of RGIII has got to weigh on people's minds.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Speaking of The Big Show:

Quote:
The Julio Jones trade worked out for the Falcons while the Browns screwed up everything

There were high expectations heaped on Julio Jones when the Atlanta Falcons traded away a boatload of draft picks in the 2011 NFL Draft to move up from No. 27 in the order to No. 6 so they could select Jones.

Big, bold trades have happened in the past like the Jacksonville Jaguars trading up from No. 26 to No. 8 for Derrick Harvey, or the Saints trading away every pick they had in the 1999 NFL Draft to move from No. 12 to No. 5 for Ricky Williams. Atlanta's move of 21 spots was just a little bit bigger and little bit bolder than any other, and has set the precedent for going all in on one player.

The Falcons sold out two years' worth of valuable draft picks for Jones and their investment in the receiver on Saturday shows that, four years later, they still believe in the trade they made.
The Falcons got their man

All in all, the Falcons sent the Browns a first-round pick (No. 27), a second-round pick (No. 59) and a fourth-round pick (No. 124) in 2011, and also chipped in the No. 1 pick in 2012 (No. 22) and their No. 4 pick in 2012 (No. 118).

Get all kinds of NFL stories, rumors, game coverage, and inane comments from the NFL media in your inbox every day.
Email:

All for one player. Was it worth it?

"Absolutely," said Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff earlier this year.

And how can you argue with him? No player in Falcons franchise history has racked up more receiving yardage in a single season than Jones did in 2014 with 1,593. He's also one of four players to ever finish a season with more than 100 receptions for the team.

The Falcons proved on Saturday how valuable they consider Jones, giving him a new five-year, $71.25 million deal that makes him the second-highest paid receiver in the NFL. The $47 million guaranteed for Jones trails only the $53.25 million that the Detroit Lions gave Calvin Johnson in 2012.
The Browns didn't get much at all

How did the Browns fare on their end of the trade? Well ... not so hot.

The first-round pick in 2011 was used to trade up and select defensive tackle Phil Taylor, the only player from the trade who's still in Cleveland. The next three picks were used on Greg Little, Owen Marecic and Brandon Weeden, while the fourth-round selection in 2012 was sent in the package deal that landed the Browns Trent Richardson. Ouch.

Richardson was eventually dealt to the Indianapolis Colts for a first-round pick, so the Browns recouped some of his value, but that pick was used on Johnny Manziel, who has been less-than-stellar early in his career.

Considering the Browns' current situation at wide receiver will not feature Josh Gordon in 2015 and the team's hopes will rest on Dwayne Bowe carrying the group, Julio Jones would have made for a nice addition, in hindsight.
Mission accomplished comes with drawbacks

Things aren't necessarily all sunshine and roses for the Falcons, though. Dimitroff is right that the team "absolutely" came away with a win by taking Jones, but one of the trade-offs that comes with trading five high-value draft picks for just one is that it can leave holes in the roster unfilled.

After 23 wins in the first two seasons with Jones on the team and two trips to the postseason, the wheels fell off and the Falcons have just 10 wins in the last two years. Jones is already one of the best receivers in Falcons history, so there's no reason Dimitroff should be regretful, but four more picks to work with, including first- and second-round selections could have helped the Falcons from falling from grace.

Or the Falcons could have made the same picks the Browns did and they'd be much worse off without Jones. So goes the NFL Draft.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/8/30/9164545/julio-jones-falcons-browns-2011-draft-trade

H and H were morons!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum McCoy, Cousins continue to out-play RG3

Link Copied to Clipboard