Thread Like Summary
CapCity Dawg, FATE, PitDAWG, Versatile Dog
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1976385 10/06/2022 2:54 PM
by Versatile Dog
Versatile Dog
Both teams are sitting at 2 and 2 and this is obviously an important game for both teams. I was hoping for a clearer picture of status of injured players on both teams before I started this thread because I think some of those players are directly involved in the key matchups for this game. It's getting late in the week, though. Let's give it a go.

Some Numbers: [These are for reference purposes only]

Line: Chargers are favored by 2.5. I think it opened at 3. The over/under is 47.5.

Offense:

Yards per/Game: Browns @ 384.8, which is 4th in the NFL. Chargers @ 371.8, which is 7th overall.

Points per/Game: Browns = 26.3, good for 6th overall. Chargers = 23.0, which is 12th in the NFL.

Defense:

Yds/per game: Browns at 326.9, which is 9th in the NFL. Chargers at 349.5, which is 20th overall.

Pts/per Game: Browns surrendering 23.8, which is 19th overall. Chargers @ 27.0, which is 30th overall.

Turnovers:

Both teams are +1 this year.

A Few Key Matchup Numbers from The Roar:

The Browns have scored on 46.3% of their drives this season — tied for third-best in NFL. The Chargers defense has allowed scores on 42.2% of opponent drives this season — fifth-worst in NFL.

The Browns have rushed the ball on 52.7% of plays from scrimmage this season — third-highest in NFL. The Chargers have allowed 5.7 yards per carry this season — second-worst in NFL.

Browns RBs have averaged 137.0 rushing yards per game since the 2021 season — best in NFL. The Chargers have allowed an average of 134.1 rushing yards per game since the 2021 season — tied for fifth-worst in NFL.

The Browns have gone three and out 4 times in the 1st quarter since the 2021 season — fewest in NFL.

The Chargers defense has not allowed any rushing touchdowns on 17 carries in the red zone this season — tied for best Carries Per TD rate in NFL; League Avg: 5.4.

The Chargers defense has allowed 13 of 68 (19%) first downs on the ground this season — lowest in NFL; League Avg: 36%.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/n...-odds-player-prop-bets-picks-week-5-jaa/

Keys to the Game:

--How much pressure can the Browns put on Herbert w/out blitzing? The Chargers outstanding young LT, Rashawn Slater, is done for the season. They are starting a rookie at that spot. If Myles can play, we should have a distinct advantage. If he doesn't this will neutralize an advantage for the Browns, which ultimately is a win for the Chargers.

--Browns run it a lot and Chargers have struggled the last two years at stopping the run. [See the numbers above.] The Browns must get more yards w/the running game on first down than they did last week.

--Browns use of play action passing. Joey Bosa is out for this game. I think if we can establish the run, our play action passing can exploit the Chargers due to them missing Bosa and is pass rushing abilities.

--Browns pass defense vs LA's passing offense. Herbert is an elite qb. We have not faced one decent qb this year. This is going to be a real test. Keenun Allen has missed 3 straight games w/a hamstring injury. He did not practice yesterday. I think he is scheduled to play, but I'm not sure. If he plays, we are going have a really tough time stopping them through the air.

Bottom Line:

I think it's hard to call this game w/out knowing whether or not Myles and Allen are playing or not. I guess I could include Clowney in this, but I find it hard to ever count on that guy. I'll update things as the week progresses. Looking forward to your football takes on this game.
Liked Replies
by BADdog
BADdog
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by BADdog
We are going to get our butts kicked

This thread is proving to me more work than the I get in return. It's really hard to talk football on here.

Thanks bone for making a good football post.

Oh the irony you as content police rolleyes
1 member likes this
by CapCity Dawg
CapCity Dawg
The Atlanta game was rough. The things I was most concerned about with the Falcons was a very mobile QB and a top-tier TE. Things that we have proved incapable of stopping in the past. We shut them both down. As well as their top WR. We had a terribly blown coverage on one play, which was exploited. Our inability to stop the run in the 2nd half was what did it. That's on the players. They did not execute.

I do not know much about the Chargers other than they have a top-end QB. I understand that he is dealing with the ribs. Maybe some early pressure and a hit or two tightens him up a bit, gets him to thinking. Having Garrett and/or Clowney back would be huge. Missing the starters on the DL last week was a glaring problem. Our depth ... ugh.

When the schedule first came out we were looking at this game as the first challenge, and the start of a rough stretch. The first four did not go as we hoped. But with Herbert ailing and Bosa out, this makes this game a little more manageable than we first thought. We need to play well to have a chance, but it's a better chance than it looked a few weeks ago.
1 member likes this
by Versatile Dog
Versatile Dog
This would really help w/keys to the game.

1 member likes this
by FATE
FATE
I get that you hate the Browns, but why do you have to hijack this thread? It's supposed to be about match-ups. I put a lot of damn work into making this thread to ensure my facts are correct. The thread is designed to promote football conversation. Real football conversation. And most of the thread is about trashing the team or trying to deter the conversation to about one's feelings of betrayal.

Just. Stop.

Stop the gibberish about "putting work in", "more work than the I get in return"; when people don't respond the way you want. People can post whatever they want to. They don't have to conform to your constant "rules" for how opinions should work. I can promise you people are much more tired of reading your constant whining. As for the last poster you belittled. Put him on ignore if you don't like the way he feels about the team. Posting an opinion is not hijacking a thread. Furthermore, if the thread is "too much work", don't post it.

You really need to start your own message board. I'm sure it would be a huge success. You could make point after point, everyone could agree with you and call you smart, life would be so much better. You seem miserable here, you need to start searching for an answer before you drive yourself to drink.
1 member likes this
by mgh888
mgh888
Originally Posted by FATE
I get that you hate the Browns, but why do you have to hijack this thread? It's supposed to be about match-ups. I put a lot of damn work into making this thread to ensure my facts are correct. The thread is designed to promote football conversation. Real football conversation. And most of the thread is about trashing the team or trying to deter the conversation to about one's feelings of betrayal.

Just. Stop.

Stop the gibberish about "putting work in", "more work than the I get in return"; when people don't respond the way you want. People can post whatever they want to. They don't have to conform to your constant "rules" for how opinions should work. I can promise you people are much more tired of reading your constant whining. As for the last poster you belittled. Put him on ignore if you don't like the way he feels about the team. Posting an opinion is not hijacking a thread. Furthermore, if the thread is "too much work", don't post it.

You really need to start your own message board. I'm sure it would be a huge success. You could make point after point, everyone could agree with you and call you smart, life would be so much better. You seem miserable here, you need to start searching for an answer before you drive yourself to drink.

There's never been a more accurate post.
1 member likes this