Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
uhhhh...lmao

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Well, we don't want overqualified folks. Gotta be first year unprovens or marginal. Just sorry at judging personnel apparently.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Well, we don't want overqualified folks. Gotta be first year unprovens or marginal. Just sorry at judging personnel apparently.

You know, because all the quality people are either unemployed or their teams just want them to leave.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

You know, because all the quality people are either unemployed or their teams just want them to leave.

And they just can't wait to come to a team that almost guarantees them of being fired (often using up their "1 chance" at a top job) within a year or 2 ......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
whos the next never been coach, never been coordinators to hire here?

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
E
Legend
Legend
E
jc....

Talk here is that this is a given...REBOOT

I know I'm naive on this stuff but I would be very surprised at any change other than a new DC.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Not sure it is a ne DC wended, but we DO need to play a very different type of defense better. And if what I have seen is the only option, then cut all you need to. Because the coaches involved are not giving us our best chance to win, and players are positioned to fail IMO. Less interview, more fix it.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: lionchamp29
whos the next never been coach, never been coordinators to hire here?

Endless possibilities lol!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
Jimmy Haslam has had extensive meetings with Ray Farmer, Mike Pettine & Alec Scheiner; is very worried he may be forced to make more changes

Quote:
Haslam has spent last 3 weeks grilling people within #Browns over problems on the field & behind the scenes

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Not sure it is a ne DC wended, but we DO need to play a very different type of defense better. And if what I have seen is the only option, then cut all you need to. Because the coaches involved are not giving us our best chance to win, and players are positioned to fail IMO. Less interview, more fix it.

Zeke Elliot is that you again?

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The more I watch other teams play, the more I think Pet needs to go with Farmer. Yes I know there are many bad teams this year, but no team comes close to being as unprepared and undisciplined consistently as this team. There is no question in my mind, this is the worst coached team. That part you can't blame on Farmer. Nobody liked Shurmur, but even he had this team playing harder and more prepared.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
V
1st String
1st String
V
Swish, I would have agreed with you in the past. However, the fail on the draft picks may be less about Farmer and more about Pettine. A case in point, Manziel. Pettine has shown that he does not think Manziel can play as a NFL QB and has stated that McCown gives the Browns the best chance to win. The Browns have not won under McCown and perhaps Manziel could be a NFL QB if the production in the Steelers game is any indication.

Secondly, there is the rift between Pettine and Farmer. They say publicly that it does not exist, however, it shows to exist because of Pettine's use of veteran players who are under performing versus using draft picks. Case in point, Cameron Erving. Erving should be starting somewhere and the argument that he cannot break the starting offensive line with the play they have shown is testament to either Pettine's lack of talent evaluations or his contempt for Farmer and his draft picks.

Thirdly, I have heard often that Gilbert cannot play at the NFL level. Perhaps Gilbert is in the Manziel mold, meaning he is being shunned by Pettine and his friend O'Neil because he is a Farmer pick. I am questioning Pettine's credentials at talent evaluation and perhaps Farmer is as well. We can see what Manziel does for the final 6 games. I would recommend you not only watch the production of Manziel but the use of Manziel's talents when play calling to help evaluate the pick.

I put it out there that perhaps, just perhaps, the 4 first round picks of Manziel, Gilbert, Erving, and Shelton may not be busts. I contend that it may have been Pettine who let Mayle go in order to keep Pryor and then let Pryor go in order to get Turbin... and so on and so on. If anyone has to go it is Pettine and the DC O'Neil. I am wavering on the OC. Perhaps a new HC would be okay with keeping an OC that has worked with Manziel and may be able to get the best out of him. Just a few thoughts. I apologize in advance if these points have already been made. The topic was too long to read them all. frown

Voleur

E
Legend
Legend
E
A lot of "PERHAPS" to dwell on.

If it is so...Oil and Water with Pettine and Farmer...then one should get the shot of working with their partner of designation...or they both go.

Note "IF"

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Right, we've not won with McCown under center, but it's not been all on him either. Our D has been awful.

I can't look at that one game against Pittsburgh and just excuse all the other games Manziel has played in so far.

I know of no rift between Farmer and Pettine. I've not seen evidence of that. Just supposition.

Based on what little I've seen, No, Erving shouldn't be starting over anyone we currently have on the line. Not sure what you see that I don't.

Gilbert hasn't shown he can play. If Pettine doesn't think he can, I tend to agree with him.

Who knows with Pryor.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
for what it's worth...

We have the second worst point differential in the NFL. -91. the only team who is worse than us... San Fran with a -113. The next closest is Detroit with -89 and these three teams are in a league of their own.

The best in the NFL is: New England with +134 followed by AZ with +120 and Carolina with +109. Again these three teams are in a league of their own.

Those numbers alone should tell everyone how bad we are.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
1st String
1st String
V
I know there are a lot of speculation on my part. However, it is not without some evidence. When forced to play Manziel, Manziel has not done any worse than McCown as far as leading the team to victories. Manziel, without any real consideration for being the team starter, beat the Titans in week 2. Watching that game, you can tell there was no real game plan for Manziel's talents.

Also, look at the defense, do you feel confident in the players on defense? Haden has been playing the worst of his career. Tramon Williams is not the bookend he was sold as. Why not after going 2 and 6 look at other players? You are seeing them now out of necessity. Gaines, K'Waun Williams, Desir, and Orchard. The only reason we hear about not playing a former 1st round pick is that the coaches say he is not ready. Talent evaluation and player rotation has not been shown to be a strong asset of this coaching staff so far.

I can speculate even further. What about the clubhouse? Is it dysfunctional? We have heard rumors of how chaotic it is. Could it be as dysfunctional as we have heard? I give you a couple anecdotal examples, West and Mayle. Both were able to perform in the past, West last season and Mayle in a major college program. Both drafted mid round by Farmer. Both appear to be a need on this team, running back and tall receiver. Both have reported immaturity issues. Both players are gone. This shows me that Pettine cannot command a clubhouse. He is not a motivator. He has not shown any ability to adapt the game plan during games. I give you evidence of this, the Bengals game. At half time, Pettine makes a silly comment about not liking the way Manziel was out of the pocket. He adapted by getting Manziel killed and the team mauled in the second half.

I believe that Pettine is a poor talent evaluator. I give you his comments about how McCown gives the Browns the best chance to win. I give you the Pryor debacle. I give you the Turbin debacle.

I believe Pettine is a horrible game planner. He talks about wanting to run the football and play good defense. Yet, the team cannot run the football and it plays poor defense. How can a coach be taken seriously when it is week 12 and he is 2-8 facing another horrible season, yet he is reluctant to play possible future key players such as Manziel, Erving, and Gilbert. The idea about winning every game he can is bogus because he started McCown in 7 games this season. The idea that the players cannot play is unknown because they have not played much.

The team faces some personnel issues after this season. What about the declining play of key veterans? What about the free agent issue of an emerging wide receiver and tight end? What about evaluating the entire defensive side of the ball? Imagine being Ray Farmer facing an upcoming draft without knowing answers to key questions of the future of the team. Haslam has stated that he will not make any changes during the season. If that is to be believed, Pettine must be focusing on developing his team. Nothing I see tells me that he believes in the players he has. I would not be surprised about chaos in the clubhouse.

Finally, the debacle of the trade rumors. I believe they stem not from Farmer, though his press conference at the time was something bordering ambien. I believe the rumors come from disgruntle player's agents. I believe Pettine and the coaching staff are winging it. I believe that the team bailed Pettine out last season and the failures of the coaching staff are not able to be overcome this season. The coaching staff is horrible. Pettine was seen as a defensive guru. The defense is the worst in modern memory. The offense was supposed to be a run oriented offense. It is a pass oriented offense. The lack of focus, exampled by the huge number of penalties the Browns have committed is a direct reflection on the coaching staff. I would fire the coaching staff and keep Farmer. Give Farmer a chance to work with a coaching staff that is not immature, incompetent, arrogant, and horribly flawed. 2 more seasons will be enough to evaluate Farmer. Pettine is done in my estimation. He will not get better as a HC.

Again I know a lot of speculation. It is not based on any hard evidence. It is just a reflection of what I see with the Cleveland Browns this season. I am beginning to think that the "Failed" first round picks may not be as "failed" as we are lead to believe. I believe it is Pettine who has failed the players, front office and the fans.

Voleur

V
1st String
1st String
V
Daman, I only offer anecdotal examples of why I think it is Pettine. I give the example of the offensive line play this season as a reason to play Erving. He was evaluated as talented. If he cannot make the offensive line of the Browns, he either has NO talent (unlikely), coaching, or stubbornness. Could the same be said of Gilbert, a known immature player? Pettine has shown to have a 'doghouse'. Get rid of the ego and stubbornness Coach Pettine and play the players who the team has invested a lot in. I see no sign of Pettine being a good motivator, teacher, or even strategist as a head coach. 7-9 last season is not enough to back with a 2-8 season and keep your job.

V
1st String
1st String
V
Daman, the rift between Pettine is obvious. I give you as an example of the rift, Text-gate.

L
Legend
Legend
L
You do realize Erving is a rookie, correct? He is raw, most rookies struggle out of the gate.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Nope . Not enough typos. I would draft Zeke maybe. More Buckeyes!

Legend
Legend
I think McCown would have beaten the Titans as well, so I can't place too much of a premium on JM's victory in that one. He proved part of what he had to. Did his job. Some of this other stuff is pointless speculation for my money.

I don't see it as clearly as you must, but I am OK with that.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Evidence?

1. Manziel - McCown both with 1 win each. But then you have us announcing Manziel will start here on in. To see what we got for sure and how much can the game slow down for him. No game plan in the game he won? How so - we won and Manziel was not really ready for his reads although he got better. He prospered in the improvising which he does so well.

2. Defense - actually I have remarked about my disatisfaction with the D. Confidence in D...you yourself state Haden is having his worst year, which means he has had good years especially a recent PRO Bowl year. I am pretty sure my speculation of Haden playing with injuries nagging him all season is true. Tramon Williams played very well when Haden was in even if Haden didn't play well. He hasn't prospered as well since Haden's been out. But he hasn't played bad.

Why not after going 2 and 6 look at other players? You are seeing them now out of necessity. Gaines, K'Waun Williams, Desir, and Orchard

Kwan...we have seen all year just when injuries kept him out not in. DeSir has had significant playing time for a young CB, Gaines just came off of the IR to play list, Orchard has played all year. I don't understand your comments.

Recent First rounders not playing. Not Ready.
Manziel was not ready that is sort of recorded fact. He showed excellent improvement from Titan -> Bengal -> Steeler games. Record indicates time to play him as we want to see his growth continue and we are not playing for anything.

Gilbert, has shown nothing on the field to earn that starting spot, practice we have no idea about.
Shelton is playing every game.
Irving, Greco, Bitonio and Mack all have played well not to let the "INSIDE OL" designate of Irving get a shot without injury. I have no problems with that decision and from day one we knew the odds of him winning a starting job was slim to none.

Actually I see a lot of rotation - QB and OL you don't want rotation. DL and CBs there have been plenty of rotation.

Got to run I'll continue later

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We wasted his time having him take all those reps at LT when the kid simply isnt a tackle at this level. That one is on the O Staff and Pet. It was really dumb and stunted his growth.

Its hard to argue with Pet on Johnny. He saw the kid wasnt ready add in the rehab and the plan that he and flip developed to basically give Johnny a redshirt year while McCown held down the fort. Injury changed it and Johnny improved faster than anyone had hoped. bottom line however is that he is starting to look like an NFL QB.

Playing Gaines and Bad at corner over Gilbert however is mind boggling. having Armonty covering Marvin Jones in a critical down was so stupid. Having Kruger chase a slot receiver makes no sense either. Leaving McCown in the game when he was most likely suffering yet another concussion and obviously injured bothered me a great deal. Its up to the coach to protect the player from himself, it was no different than Shurmur and Colt McCoy.

The D is what bothers me so much that I would rather see Pet go. When you are the 31st ranked defense and you see the same mistakes over and over and now u start combining how these players are used, it just doesnt feel there is any reason to believe things are going to get better.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I believe that Pettine is a poor talent evaluator. I give you his comments about how McCown gives the Browns the best chance to win. I give you the Pryor debacle. I give you the Turbin debacle.

??? It could be so but your GIVE YOU THIS???

McCown was giving us the best chance to win. He did pretty much everthing that was expected.

Pryor... "DEBACLE" I thought we released a kid who btw has he been picked up by any of the 31 other teams...how is it a debacle. Turbin "Debacle" a roster spot and he just wasn't who we thought he was. Had some key fumbles while he was here I think that was a misconnect in talent evaluation of Pettine and Farmer but keep in mind I don't think Pettine releases anyone...he might ask for it to be done and I think Farmer doesn't really hesitate. Almost all the reps will be going to Crowell and Johnson...so there was no need to carry Turbin when we had a kid coming off of the IR thingy.

Rumors of how Chaotic the Locker room is? Sorry I missed those...what rumors are they?

I give you a couple anecdotal examples, West and Mayle. Both were able to perform in the past, West last season and Mayle in a major college program. Both drafted mid round by Farmer. Both appear to be a need on this team, running back and tall receiver. Both have reported immaturity issues. Both players are gone. This shows me that Pettine cannot command a clubhouse.

This is a football forum...please refrain from using 4 syllable words...lol laugh

Both had reported Immaturity issues? West yes, I never really heard of any about Mayle.

West success was very limited. Mayle's success in college has nothing to do with NFL. We knew he was raw and actually both were pretty raw talents. Didn't West get cut from the Titans after us? Is he anywhere? how bout Mayle? I fail to see how this remotely shows that our locker room is dysfunctional.

I give you evidence of this, the Bengals game. At half time, Pettine makes a silly comment about not liking the way Manziel was out of the pocket. He adapted by getting Manziel killed and the team mauled in the second half.

Actually his comments were more of the fact he didn't like how Manziel didn't utilize the pocket to its fullest before breaking out of it.

He was sort of proven right with a good breakdown of the game from a website that showed Manziel not opting to go through the correct reads and hit his target but would prefer to run out of the pocket. Got HIM KILLED?

What I do know is his next game vs. the Steelers he showed vast improvement in exactly what Pettine was asking of him and in a reward he was named starter for the rest of the season.

I believe Pettine is a horrible game planner. He talks about wanting to run the football and play good defense. Yet, the team cannot run the football and it plays poor defense. How can a coach be taken seriously when it is week 12 and he is 2-8 facing another horrible season, yet he is reluctant to play possible future key players such as Manziel, Erving, and Gilbert.

Last part first...reluctant only because they could EARN or WIN the position - many commend him for it. Also there are no guarantees on his tenure here - he cannot be asked to Play these guys for the future when they are not the best ready for their positions. For the future...cause that future might not have Pettine in it. He has to play each game to win - Point blank that is the reality of this. Each game he coaches and plays to win it.

Game planner horrible. Let me just say this - he might not have good adjustments on hand as the 2nd half comes along??? But the game planning is pretty relevant in our FIRST HALF PLAY where it seems we HAVE THE LEAD or are very much into the game at half time. I think that would make me believe that his Game Plans are Good. I don't think we have too many answers for other teams adjustments!

That I can nod as a negative to his coaching tenure so far.

Finally the debacle of the trade rumors.
1. I see very few "DEBACLES" in all of this. I definitely see disappointments.

2.Trade rumors, as was stated by FARMER which pretty much had nothing to do with Pettine btw. People called we listened. NOT ONE TRADE WAS MADE. If we were shopping guys trades would have happened.

3. I see one staff member who could be a mistake. O'neil our DC outside of that the staff is pretty darn good.

4. Players bailed him out last season? Which of the last 6 losses out of 7 games was that?

5. We have a very tough schedule this year. Our defense was suppose to carry us. We lost Haden and Gipson for a lot of these games in the first half. There is great disappointment to be had. I agree that is with the Defense. Team wise I don't see much let down.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Voleur
Daman, I only offer anecdotal examples of why I think it is Pettine. I give the example of the offensive line play this season as a reason to play Erving. He was evaluated as talented. If he cannot make the offensive line of the Browns, he either has NO talent (unlikely), coaching, or stubbornness. Could the same be said of Gilbert, a known immature player? Pettine has shown to have a 'doghouse'. Get rid of the ego and stubbornness Coach Pettine and play the players who the team has invested a lot in. I see no sign of Pettine being a good motivator, teacher, or even strategist as a head coach. 7-9 last season is not enough to back with a 2-8 season and keep your job.
\

You mean the Oline that lost it's coach? That Oline. As for Erving, who did the evaluation on the kid? Farmer or Pettine or another scout? I'm pretty sure it wasn't pettine..

Think about it, we have some real talent on the OLine. Erving wasn't going to replace JT or JB or AM. But if he was REALLY a first round talent, he should have given Greco and Schwartz a run for their money. Further, when he was forced into action for Bitonio, he couldn't even handle playing between perhaps the Best LT and one of the best Centers in the league. Call it what you will, but that doesn't sound like the coach is being stubborn. That sounds like the player isn't everything he was touted to be.

I want the best players to play. Apparently that looks like what Pettine wants as well. He's said from the very beginning that the guys that perform well in practice will get a shot come game time. He's lived by that mantra and hasn't wavered.

As for McCown not being as good as Manziel, I think the stats show otherwise. More importantly, you yourself commented on how poorly the Browns D has been playing. You mentioned how bad Haden has been this year but you fail to mention his injuries all year.

No, I don't believe it's Pettine that is the problem.

But I will admit, it's possible that Pettine was less that happy with Manziels actions and maybe he just wanted him to learn his lesson.. Could be I guess..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
Why would anyone be against firing Pettine?

I can answer that. I don't want to argue about it, but I can answer it.

I do believe in continuity.

I believe that replacing the GM does not affect continuity as much as replacing the coaching staff.

I believe that Farmer has sucked so bad that almost no one would have succeeded due to his poor talent evaluation.

If he was good at something I might agree with you. I have yet to see ANYTHING this man is good at. Sure isn't DEFENSE. His sucks. BAD. I miss Dick Jauron! THAT is how bad it is. So, convince me man. Tell me the one thing Pettine does that is better than any other coach? Or hell just better than any coach in our division? OK maybe that's not fair.... How about the one thing Pettine does better than any of the other nitwits we've had since the return? I sure would like to know what Pettine is good at.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
R
Legend
Legend
R
Pettine is not a HC at the professional level.

After the events of yesterday you have to blow the whole thing up. Both Pettine and Farmer have to go. They have created dysfunction that is worse than at any point since the return, which seemed utterly impossible prior to this year. It's time. I wouldn't even wait for the end of the season. Do it now. Do it after MNF. Just do it.

I won't watch another game that has Pettine on the sideline as the HC. He demonstrates no ability to coach at the professional level. Hired his friends, defends them when they suck, only wants to coach hard working choir boy types, plays hard working choir boy types over more talented players, doesn't develop players or put players in the best position to succeed, won't adapt when things aren't working, says "they've put good things on tape" in the midst of a 2-8 season with the last placed defense in nearly every statistical category, being blown out in nearly every second half, and not having a running back rush for over 75 yards in a single game.

Manziel likely lied to Pettine. But Pettine also lied to the fanbase. He said the team would be tough. He said they would run the ball and stop the run. And he continues to lie to the fanbase saying things like we've put some good things on tape.

Manziel had to be held accountable for his lying. Haslam has to do the same with Pettine. Incompetence and lying are a terrible combination.

And just for Vers, Farmer has to go too. I would fire everyone in Berea, then I would burn that place down. Start completely from scratch.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I'm not a fanboy of JM, but he does offer hope. The events of this week cemented it for me: fire Farmer and Pett. This is not working. How embarrassing is it to be a Browns fan? Every year we think it can't get worse.

And yet it does.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I'm not a fanboy of JM, but he does offer hope. The events of this week cemented it for me: fire Farmer and Pett. This is not working. How embarrassing is it to be a Browns fan? Every year we think it can't get worse.

And yet it does.

I agree. I talk with my dad about this all of time. How on earth can it get progressively worse? You'd think luck would hit at some point.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
Why would anyone be against firing Pettine?

I can answer that. I don't want to argue about it, but I can answer it.

I do believe in continuity.

I believe that replacing the GM does not affect continuity as much as replacing the coaching staff.

I believe that Farmer has sucked so bad that almost no one would have succeeded due to his poor talent evaluation.

If he was good at something I might agree with you. I have yet to see ANYTHING this man is good at. Sure isn't DEFENSE. His sucks. BAD. I miss Dick Jauron! THAT is how bad it is. So, convince me man. Tell me the one thing Pettine does that is better than any other coach? Or hell just better than any coach in our division? OK maybe that's not fair.... How about the one thing Pettine does better than any of the other nitwits we've had since the return? I sure would like to know what Pettine is good at.

I disagree with you both, but not to be disagreeable. I see things vastly different then Vers does on this issue although I generally agree with his take. Spirit I have always seemingly been at odds with his opinions but respectfully so.

The reason I disagree is because I think you both have misidentified the cause of our problems although I have been stating why I think we have suffered and continue to suffer.

Pet and Text have made more mistakes then they made good sound football decisions both on and off the field, there is IMO no questioning that FACT.

What happened to the fans that said they are rookies and are bound to make rookie mistakes so I will support them and want them to have 3-4-5 years to work their plan?

Not saying either of you said that but it’s been bantered about this board since the beginning.

No question that continuity has been the major contributor to our problems but not in the way most fans think of continuity.

Let me explain if I can. You see teams like Pittsburg change out coaches and the winning continues, why?

Because they don’t do huge player personal changes, that’s what we do.

Vers this is where you and I see things much the same. Banner had it right folks his 1st year was about seeing what we had, not about changing it unfortunately Haslam saw it differently. Banner understood the importance of allowing the young talent we did have here to grow as football players and to see if the pieces would fit.

Where Text and Pet have gone wrong is they made a decision early on to make the team over in their image more so then to improve and tweak what we had. Their vision was to change it not to make it better. That vision remains. Continuity on the football field and in the locker room is what we are missing.

Here we disagree Vers. Whitner and Dansby weren’t upgrades they were just different players who were Text’s and Pet’s guys. They aren’t enough better to change the course yet those changes were made, and what was the net gain?

Lateral moves made for the sake of change, not for the sake of making us better are bad moves. TJ was/is a younger player and had more upside over the long haul. The same case couldn’t be made for DJ but DJ was a team leader and a fine player. The difference between DJ and Dansby isn’t a great enough divide to warrant the move. Change for changes sake and a lateral move at that is what sealed our fate, IMO.

It was the same thing this off season. They started by identifying the nose position as needing an upgrade. But anyone who watched the games a year ago would or should have been able to tell you that we didn’t get gashed up the gut we got gashed on the edges, and that is still so.

Again change for changes sake but where is was the upgrade, and that’s where GM and coach have failed.

I don’t know at this juncture if its poor talent brought in on the part of the GM and poor player development on the part of the HC and staff? I strongly suspect both.

Text has changed the team for the sake of changing it he places zero value on any player he didn’t sign or draft and that mode of operation continues, and that’s what needs to change. Cause that is what's sinking the ship.

At this juncture I think they both need to go but we must replace with coaches who are committed to work with and improve on what is here, minus that commitment we should stick it out with Pet. The days of wholesale change in player personnel have to end, the lack of commitment to our players needs to change unless or until we have viable replacements that truly represent better play on the field.

Look at the moves these guys have made over the course of the past 2 seasons, and ask yourself one question. Where did we improve, not as a team but in terms of personnel? Did we change out players simply for the sake of doing so, and how many times did we do that?

I would argue Vers that we had and have talent what we haven’t done was invest in the talent we have and allow them to grow together. We let players go and in at least one instance we even drafted a player to replace another player we haven’t lost YET. It’s maddening to watch.

I probably did a poor job of explaining myself on this topic, hopefully you both get my drift. In short will do better when we STOP changing out players simply to change, that IMO is the key. Upgrade tweak and allow guys to play together and come together as a team. Stability comes in many forms and continuity on the football field and in scheme is more important than continuity in the front office, IMO.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Don't agree with everything but pretty well explained... wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
1st String
1st String
V
I agree with much of what you stated Brown to the Bone. I see it a little differently as well however. I see the lateral change from an aging increasingly ineffective LB in DJ to an aging LB in Dansby as an actual increase. It could be argued that Dansby brought intangibles such as a winning attitude and recent team success. DJ could not state that. As for TJ, he was more of a LB than a Safety. You did lose some age with the change but it also brought intangibles like Dansby. TJ wanted out. He was not going to be part of the future of the Browns IMO, so age really does not matter if he was not going to be here anyway.

I believe the argument for continuity is overrated in the sense you want to keep a failing regime in place. There can be differing opinions on how long a regime should be given to have some success in order to judge the front office and coaching staff's abilities. I am on the side of shorter for younger, less experienced coaches. A veteran coach with a record of previous success should be given a longer time IMHO. Pettine is neither. He is a second year HC who has shown no ability to coach up talent that is on his roster. The team is currently 3-13 in his last 16 games. He is failing with a veteran QB at the helm. He cannot blame it on a rookie QB, rookie OLine, or rookie defense. He has had most of these players for two years now. He failed to improve.

I believe the latest Johnny Manziel fiasco is just more proof that Pettine is not able to command a locker room. Pettine claims that on the field play and practices have given Manziel an edge over McCown and names him the starter. Then when a video of his QB shows up on an entertainment website, he pulls the plug. Why? Because Johnny has not shown he can do the job in practice and on the field? What has changed about Johnny's ability to play since he was named the starter? I am unaware of any injury. I am unaware of any suspension looming over Manziel. The entire benching stinks of a power move by Pettine. Pettine has shown through his actions and words that he does not want Johnny Manziel on his team. Why? He is immature? Would he dismiss or bench Rothliesburger? I believe an allegation of sexual misconduct with a woman at a bar is serious and at the minimum shows a lack of maturity. No one who is honest with themselves would believe that Pettine would bench Rothliesburger under the same circumstances as Manziel today.

So, it must be that because Rothliesburger is a winner. Does anyone think that McCown is a winner? It is not about winning with Pettine, at least not as a first priority. I believe that Pettine's first priority is his own ego and I believe it is bruised. I believe the Johnny Manziel issue is an extension of the West, Mayle, Pryor debacle. Pettine is unable to command a locker room. He cannot deal with men that are not his perceived ideal of professionalism. I could be talked into getting rid of Farmer as well as the coaching staff because of the dysfunction that is obvious to any observer. However, I am convinced without a doubt that the Browns troubles begin with Pettine and with a veteran coach the Browns would be able to develop their picks, retain players from going to free agency, and develop a winning football team. PETTINE MUST GO.

Voleur

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think you missed what I was saying. Dansby and Witner were examples. As would be Starks and Shelton for Winn and Kitchen and Rube, where is the upgrade? That's the point if you even get it now.

I remember when I played we couldn't win a game together to start then by the time the season rolled around our second year nobody could beat us. It was the same players to the last man, time taught us how to play together and fit, and we learned each others strengths and weaknesses and we gelled as a team.

With the constant turn over the Browns never get their because they never keep it together long enough for it to pay off. Look watch if I'm wrong will suck to the end, but if I'm right this defense will play better over the course of the next 6 games then you ever thought possible.

last season the defense played horrid to start the season and improved to close out the year. But the point is they will play better together because they have that time in scheme and with playing together.

But you never benefit from that time together if in the off season you do wholesale change as the Browns did this year and the year before.

We let guys like Ward, Sheard, Rube, DJ, Winn, Kitchen, Skrine and replaced many of those guys with guys that are older and more expensive. And here is the kicker they aren't better players their just guys that Text and Pet brought in that's the only difference but we lose the benefit of player continuity and gain NOTHING and that is what's wrong. And I think you missed my point.

This year they are poised to loss Benji and Gibson and Mack, you tell me who we going to get or who do we have that is better? I'm not saying there aren't better players I'm saying keep them together until you have a truly better player because time spent in scheme and working with the guys around them makes them better then the lateral move they will make in replacing them.

Player continuity counts for more then most think.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Very good post. I agree that we don't allow players time to learn a scheme to get good at it. I blamed much of that on the 2-year cycle of changing coaches.

But you make a good point in fixing things, personnel-wise, that ain't broke or at least we don't even know if it's broke because we didn't give it a chance to succeed.

I look at the roster now, with all the meddling, and think, ok, now give these guys a chance to learn the scheme and to learn to play together. My concern has been that we'll have another coaching change which, again, changes personnel.

Keeping the same personnel on the field is reason enough to not reboot the regime. On the other hand, after this recent guffaw with Johnny I don't know if these guys even have a clue.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Very good post. I agree that we don't allow players time to learn a scheme to get good at it. I blamed much of that on the 2-year cycle of changing coaches.

But you make a good point in fixing things, personnel-wise, that ain't broke or at least we don't even know if it's broke because we didn't give it a chance to succeed.

I look at the roster now, with all the meddling, and think, ok, now give these guys a chance to learn the scheme and to learn to play together. My concern has been that we'll have another coaching change which, again, changes personnel.

Keeping the same personnel on the field is reason enough to not reboot the regime. On the other hand, after this recent guffaw with Johnny I don't know if these guys even have a clue.

Unfortunately the damage has been done so to speak on Text's part and I assume Pet played a leading roll in the personal department as well. The players/talent we have lost over the course of the past 2 seasons are long gone, and their replacements for the most part are just to old to think about having a real future with.

In other words now we have to replace the old guys with young guys but we already had young guys but they failed to retain those guys so now we have to replace the replacements. errrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Neither Text nor Pet get it. The guys that were let go are long gone and Benji, Mack, and Gipson are their next victims.

The key is simple improve on what we have. Improve doesn't mean change it for change but improve tweak. The lateral moves they have made have done one thing and one thing only, and that is keep us right where we are and because we lose the player continuity battle we regress.

I don't blame Text nor Pet for JF bad behavior although coddling him for a year didn't help. JF has to grow up in other words and Pet should have jumped on his ass long ago but still JF is responsible for his own actions. Accountability is just a word in Berea that has no teeth.

I see what Pet is doing NOW but the horse left the barn a year ago. I see this as the equivalent of putting the cork back in the bottle long after the Genie escaped.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Call me crazy, but I still keep everyone. tongue Just make sure they all stay in their own lane.

Tackles are tackles.
Rookie
Rookie
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The response to the Snapchat video of Johnny Manziel, by the Browns and some media members, has been an epic overreaction, reeking of double standards and hypocrisy.
Manziel was demoted to third-string QB for Monday Night's game after a Snapchat video captured the 22-year-old acting like a 22-year-old -- out having fun, drinking and singing along to rap songs, on an off day during the bye week.
In contrast, Ben Roethlisberger will start again Sunday, after being accused of raping a woman in a bar in 2010, for which he was suspended six games by the NFL.
Manziel wasn't accused of raping anyone in the bar where he was photographed. He also wasn't indicted for two murders, during his off time, as Ray Lewis was in 2000. Prosecutors dismissed the charges after Lewis agreed to a plea-deal.
The Snapchat video captured Manziel engaged in the kind of behavior that has been commonplace in the history of the NFL, from well before Joe Namath, to present-day, with the likes of the New England Patriots' All-Pro tight-end Rob Gronkowski.
Manziel's now third on the Browns' QB depth chart, but at best, he's only been 25th on the depth chart of pro-sports party boys, well behind the likes of Gronkowski and Jeremy Shockey, to name a few.
Would Mike Pettine demote Gronkowski to third-string for being an even bigger party animal than Manziel?
Pettine began his coaching career with the Ravens. Did he ever suggest Lewis be demoted to third string for being implicated in the deaths of two men?
It's incredibly naive to think Manziel is the only NFL player (including Cleveland Brown) who drank and partied during his team's bye week.
Back in the 1990s, Browns and Indians players were regulars at the local corner bar in the West Side suburb I lived in at the time. The players, including Indians' all-stars, would come in after games and on their off day. They weren't in there drinking tea. One of the reasons they kept coming back is because they didn't have to worry about getting hassled, or being filmed while they kicked back and enjoyed a round of spirits.
For the Journalism profession and football media to wag a puritanical finger at Manziel is the height of hypocrisy. It wasn't really that long ago that whiskey flasks were as likely to be found in a reporter's desk as a notebook. Can't wait to hear the NFL Network's Michael Irvin's take on Manziel, given Irvin's off-the-field exploits during his playing days.
A few facts to consider.
Manziel is not a member of ISIS. Drinking when you're 22 is not illegal in the U.S., or the NFL. Using social media or being captured on social media is not illegal in the U.S., or the NFL.
The reason for Manziel's rehab stint is not public knowledge. It's not known that he's even in the NFL's substance abuse program. It's not known if his treatment plan prohibits drinking.
Manziel was not "on the job." He was on his own time. He returned to work Monday showing up for a charity event. There are no reports that he showed up late, drunk or even hung over. If he did, Pettine would have a better case for his action.
In fact, Pettine has said more than once that Manziel has been an "A +" employee inside the building. Josh McCown backed up that assessment this week.
When I hear sports commentators say the video is another example that Manziel is incapable of doing the work required to be an effective QB in the NFL, I can almost hear the great Kenny Stabler laughing in his grave.
Manziel showed he was perfectly capable when he led the Browns to one of their only two wins this season, in thrilling fashion. He showed he was capable multiple times over in the last two games, making plays that live up to his pre-draft hype; plays you'll never see McCown make.
The reason being given for Manziel's demotion is that he violated the Browns trust and embarrassed the team.
What utter nonsense.
Nothing in that video embarrassed the Browns more than their 2-8 record. Nothing in that video embarrasses the Browns more than their horrible drafting.
Pettine actually escalated the incident with the way he mishandled press questions about it. More adept coaches would have nipped it in the bud.
Press: Any comment on the Manziel Snapchat?
Coach: "No, do you have a football question? No? Next reporter..."
Press: But don't you find the video disturbing?
Coach: "Looks like he was having fun on his off day, next question."
Imagine how Belichick, Ryan or Parcells would have put that story to bed in short order; Pettine poured gas on it. Amateur hour, all the way around.
If anyone violated trust, and should be demoted for breaking their word it's Pettine, his staff, Farmer and the team owner.
Fans were told the Browns would field a professional football team - one that would be run-based, built on the foundation of a strong line and one of the best defenses in the league.
Pettine, Farmer and Haslam are the ones who completely failed in producing that, not the young QB they just demoted.

Results not Excuses Marty Schottenheimer 1984
C
Legend
Legend
C
Pettine is giving a press conference right now. There should be a few gems.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Browns HC Mike Pettine on Johnny Manziel decision: we're always going to do what's best for team in all decisions we make

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/669564692378099712

Quote:
Browns HC Mike Pettine said QB will always be held to higher standard than any other position.

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/669564766730526721

Money quote:

Quote:
Browns HC Mike Pettine said he can't emphasize factors of trust and accountability enough regarding Manziel, there was shortcoming there

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/669564979490721793

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Browns HC Mike Pettine said we certainly hope Johnny Manziel hasn't played his last game with the team. He's made progress.

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/669565332554674176

Quote:
Browns HC Mike Pettine said he feels decision to bench Johnny Manziel is absolutely necessary to maximize his chances for future success.

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/669565106662035457

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum It's Time to Fire Pettine and Farmer.

Link Copied to Clipboard