Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Again, my fear is that the best candidates will say no to the Browns coaching job because of the management structure that Haslam dreamed up and that the Browns will be forced to pick someone from the leftovers group of candidates.

Haslam has a new system he's installed.

He's hired a guy to help implement it and he promoted a guy from within to oversee it.

For the Browns to hire a guy JUST because he might be a great HC or was once great HC is stupid unless he buys into the plan.

You say they may be forced to pick from Leftovers, that may end up being true, but maybe not.

One mans trash is another mans treasure. Getting the guy that fits and KNOWS football is the key.

That's why I keep thinking that they would lean towards Patricia. Just a guess on my part. He doesn't look like trash.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
I just don't know how "new" this system is. There are differences, but ultimately, there are too many cooks in the kitchen, just like it's been since The Haslams bought the team.

Legend
Legend
I haven't read most of this thread, but I saw a few bits that got me thinking...

Seeing (and have historically always seen) lots of folks saying "I want an offensive guy" or "I want a guy that was a good DC", etc...

I want a guy that knows how to be a Head Coach. The guy that can run all three sides of the team and has clear ideas on solid people to bring in to be his coordinators.

FAR, FAR, FAR too often folks get all googly-eyed over a guy that was a good coordinator.... .well, the problem there is that really has little bearing on how good he will be as a Head Coach. We need someone that is a brilliant football mind that is also management material. He needs to be able to recognize problems and see immediate solutions, but it is his coordinators who will run the day-to-day X's & O's.

So, I don't care if he is an offensive or defensive (or ST's) guy.... I want a guy that is smart, driven to win, and has strong organizational skills with the capability to develop a plan and execute it - not just on gameday, either, but long-term plans over the course of a year and more.

I want someone that understands REAL leadership and how that is not the same thing as being liked or friendship, nor is it being a callous hard case. I want someone that understands building and running a highly disciplined squad and someone that understands instilling pride in his people.

Things I could not care less about:
What he sounds like in interviews on TV
How he speaks to the media
What he looks like in cut-shots on a sideline
Whether or not the TV shows him "having fire" or "being fired up"
The ability to sound all rah-rah for high school kids
Which side of the ball he prefers to coach

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Jester
Originally Posted By: eotab
Evidently Henderson was our minority interview...cause I think he signed up to be the DB coach in Miami. Positional coach to interviewing for HC...smells like token minority interview out of the way. If I'm reading that right and I'm also assuming Henderson is a minority.

So you are ignoring the Austin interview that came 1st and the upcoming Jackson interview too? I guess that makes 3 token interviews, just for good measure.

Yeah that's called crossing your "t's" and dotting your "i's" grin

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I just don't know how "new" this system is. There are differences, but ultimately, there are too many cooks in the kitchen, just like it's been since The Haslams bought the team.

It's brand spanking new to the Browns. as I think you pointed out, Banner supposedly used some form of it, but this seems like a full-on rush to it.

So, at least to the level we are hearing, it's brand new to us.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

Well the Dolphins sure are the poster child for success.

Maybe just maybe it may be worth waiting to see how things work out.

Maybe Gase with full control works. Maybe Gase with full control is in over his head and it doesn't work.

Your tone is always completely negative. Given the Browns track record that is understandable.

It is easy to go there and say anything the Browns try is doomed and set for failure.

There will be plenty of time to discuss failure or success AFTER they hire someone. And After the results of the changes are in place. Meaning they go through free agency and the draft.

Things have been rough enough. It is plenty hard being a Browns fan. I was the first person to call out Farmer. But at least I waited till he made his draft selections.

For crying out loud let's at least see who gets hired and what they do. We have a whole year ahead to complain and groan.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

What is the big deal with having the say in the 53 man roster? And why is it so important? And why would it deter coaches from coming to Cleveland?

I really don't think that whatever coach we hire is going to be left without a voice in our final 53.

I would like for someone to go around to each NFL team and list the person, his/her position within the organization, and the proof this person is in charge of the 53 man roster.

Why is this a deal breaker? Please elaborate. Anyone.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm reading the opposite in the recent articles, but I thought that Hue was a bit of a nutcase from his time in Oakland. He made that insane trade for Carson Palmer, and then was hired by the Bengals soon after.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'm reading the opposite in the recent articles, but I thought that Hue was a bit of a nutcase from his time in Oakland. He made that insane trade for Carson Palmer, and then was hired by the Bengals soon after.

You mean the same Carson Palmer that is carrying the Cardinals in the playoffs and having a career year while doing so?

Legend
Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...ear-in-afc-east

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Owner: Robert Kraft, 20th year
General Manager: N/A
Head Coach: Bill Belichick, 14th year
Other front-office notables: Jonathan Kraft, President; Nick Caserio, Director of Player Personnel; Jon Robinson, Director of College Scouting.

Who's really in charge? Few football people have the all-encompassing power that Bill Belichick carries in New England, and the results have been hard to argue with. In explaining how Belichick manages things, one ex-Patriots personnel man said, "I don't know, maybe he has 10 clones of himself." But it isn't all roses. Belichick is involved to the point where it has frustrated his college scouts, who have been overruled in the past on draft picks.

That said, Nick Caserio has developed a strong voice in the organization and is regarded as one of the best talent evaluators Belichick has had in his 14 seasons -- maybe even better than Scott Pioli in his heyday. Caserio reports to Belichick, but is also part of the four-man group, which includes Robert and Jonathan Kraft, that meets to discuss big-picture strategy. The Krafts stay out of nitty-gritty football matters, but they do lend their business expertise, which Belichick applies to his side of the operation.

That structure has been in place since Belichick has been in Foxborough, with some tweaks made along the way. (Pioli held the spot Caserio boasts now, and ex-COO Andy Wasynczuk was part of the circle at one point, as well.) The reason it works is simple: People know their roles. Belichick and Caserio respect the Krafts' business acumen, and the Krafts try not to step on the toes of Belichick and Caserio on the football end.

Outside those four, the one other person to watch -- someone who could be an NFL GM candidate in the future -- is Jon Robinson, who has earned some say in the draft room. As you can see, the group with influence in New England is small -- intentionally so.

An outside perspective from an NFC general manager: "I think it's the person, not the structure there. There are very few people like him. Belichick is very unique. You see how many guys come out of that tree who have failed. That's because it's the person, not the structure, that makes it go. You have to be unique to do it that way. I think he's just extremely smart, and very well-rounded; good in all aspects. Most people can't do it like that, in that structure. Again, you see the guys from that tree, and they get out there and can't handle some of the other facets of running a team, outside their comfort zone. So you look at it, and you say, 'It's Belichick.' And if it wasn't Belichick, that structure probably wouldn't work, because it hasn't with guys who've come out of that system."

http://247sports.com/Article/Bill-Belich...g-fast-34899271

Carroll decides who sticks on the 53-man roster and is tight with GM John Schneider. The two both came to Seattle in 2010 and have formed a thriving partnership. Schneider heads up the draft and free agency, which differs from the setup in New England and Philadelphia. Carroll likely wields influence on those decisions, too, since the two work together so closely. The Seahawks have excelled under this structure — they crushed the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Arps
Miami also has way better weather and more favorable taxes

smh at the taxes thing...

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: HewDawg
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

You mean the same Carson Palmer that is carrying the Cardinals in the playoffs and having a career year while doing so?

That is not the same Carson Palmer.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
For crying out loud let's at least see who gets hired and what they do. We have a whole year ahead to complain and groan.

That we do. I have to admit, my optimism is at an all time low. Reading about how top GM candidates don't want to come here because of the instability and the sheer number of people that get involved in decisions.. and of all of the coaching vacancies, the Browns have to least to offer in terms of immediate upside and stability...

I am confused, and maybe it was answered somewhere else... but as I understand it, the guy from the Mets will have final roster say, the coach will help in hiring the GM and the coach will report to somebody else... so if the GM doesn't have roster control and doesn't control the coach, what exactly does he do?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
[quote]
I am confused, and maybe it was answered somewhere else... but as I understand it, the guy from the Mets will have final roster say, the coach will help in hiring the GM and the coach will report to somebody else... so if the GM doesn't have roster control and doesn't control the coach, what exactly does he do?
Depodesta doesn't have final say on the roster, that is Sashi Brown. And contrary to what is being speculated, my read on that is that he will not be the one making the decisions so much as being the one to make the decisions if there is dispute among the others in the process. More like an overseer and arbitrator than the only guy making the list.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No the Lawyer Sashi Brown has final say on the 53. Which makes no sense at all.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
No the Lawyer Sashi Brown has final say on the 53. Which makes no sense at all.

Which is why I ask do we even need a GM?

'We' should just reassign the responsibilities and divide them among Brown, the analytic dude, and the HC. Too many chiefs, someone is bound to bump heads.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
What is the big deal with having the say in the 53 man roster? And why is it so important? And why would it deter coaches from coming to Cleveland?

Is this a serious comment or very good sarcasm?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
I'll go with the guy with a grizzly beard and a backwards hat. He'll fit in here.

Thanks for the offer. However, I have decided to decline your offer for a position with the Seattle Seahawks as water boy/Gatorade Guy.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This is my opinion/hope of how it will work.

GM and scouts will use analytical data to find players via draft and FA.

HC and GM will discuss who they want.

If they agree, they take/sign them.

If they don't they will use Brown's input to pick.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Some may believe I'm not entitled to an opinion and that criticism of me, will silence me.

You know who you are...do really believe your going to stop me from posting my opinion?

That said, given the choices of management structure that each team had to offer Gase, he chose the Dolphins and full control over the 53 man roster.

Some may believe that who controls the 53 man roster is just a "minor" issue that most coaching candidates don't even care about...and you would be "wrong" if that is what you believe.

The most experienced candidates want to have the right(the power) to pick the players they want to play for them. At the very least, those candidates might want some say into who will be the GM that he (the HC)will be working with. There may be some candidates who do not want full control.

So, what do the Browns have to offer candidates as far as control over the 53 man roster?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Gase did not CHOOSE Miami over us.

We didn't offer him anything to choose over.

As far as I know, Gase took the first job he was actually offered..

And as it relates to "Control over the roster" I dont want a HC to have total control of it, because it rarely works.

No one is trying to silence you. We just dont care about your tin foil hat theories.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

tg...I didn't say he did...what I said was, Gase "given the choices of management structure that each team had to offer Gase, he chose the Dolphins and full control over the 53 man roster."

In other words, Gase preferred the Dolphins structure over all other teams, including the Browns.

Quote:
And as it relates to "Control over the roster" I dont want a HC to have total control of it, because it rarely works.

tg...it's not about what "you want"...it's about what the top coaching candidates want. The coach considered one of the top candidates preferred control over the 53 man roster.

Last edited by mac; 01/11/16 05:45 PM.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

tg...I didn't say he did...what I said was, Gase "given the choices of management structure that each team had to offer Gase, he chose the Dolphins and full control over the 53 man roster."

In other words, Gase preferred the Dolphins structure over all other teams, including the Browns.

Quote:

tg...it's not about what "you want"...it's about what the top coaching candidates want. The coach considered one of the top candidates preferred control over the 53 man roster.

Most NFL coaches do not have control of the 53 man roster, they have control over who's on the gameday roster. The 53 is controlled by the GM and we're offering to let the coach be in on that choice so this should be a more attractive offer for the power hungry than most, it's the next best thing to being coach and GM combined.

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Gase was our first interviewee IIRC.

I would have been pissed if they had offered him the job doing due diligence to talk with other candidates ( and he was my first choice).

He went to his second interview and they rolled over and gave him everything he wanted, HC job, OC job and it appears GM job...so he took it... good for him, he got what he wanted.

I would NOT want a first time head coach with that much power... the fact the 'fins did is their choice.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Guess I don't get it....a Head Coach coming to Cleveland gets...no say in GM, has no control over roster, has management trying to dictate other coaches, AND,,,AND organization has fired guys so often they take short term leases to live in....WHY take the job....money and thinking you can do better than the last guy....hope we don't lose the guy we want because we have to number crunch 15 potentials BEFORE we offer them the job.....WOW...go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
C
Legend
Legend
C
How can you choose between two teams when one team hasn't even offered you a job?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Looks like we know who our choice is. Whether he comes or not is a different conversation entirely.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/686680414862180352

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Looks like we know who our choice is. Whether he comes or not is a different conversation entirely.

I will be disappointed if we hire Jackson. He is a bit nutty. At least the press conferences will be entertaining.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If we sign him some will say they got the guy they wanted all along. If he won't sign, people will say he wasn't their first choice anyway. Watch... lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Supposedly Jackson has the best staff lined up of the people we've interviewed. He's worked everywhere, so that is not surprising.

I was worried that Patricia's ability to build a staff would do him in, but he seems like the best fit for our current setup.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: hittman
Guess I don't get it....a Head Coach coming to Cleveland gets...no say in GM, has no control over roster, has management trying to dictate other coaches, AND,,,AND organization has fired guys so often they take short term leases to live in....WHY take the job....money and thinking you can do better than the last guy....hope we don't lose the guy we want because we have to number crunch 15 potentials BEFORE we offer them the job.....WOW...go Browns!!!

Actually it was said the HC will have a say in who is hired as GM

#gmstrong

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
If we sign him some will say they got the guy they wanted all along. If he won't sign, people will say he wasn't their first choice anyway. Watch... lol

What is your take on him Pit?

I wanted Gase and like many thought Patricia would be good fit

Hue at least has some HC experience.

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Yes... I dont know much about the qualifications of all these guys, but I like Hue Jackson...

Get'r done!!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
Some may believe I'm not entitled to an opinion and that criticism of me, will silence me.

Whether I agree with your posts or not, you are most certainly entitled to post and I, for one, always find them enjoyable... thumbsup

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
He had cincy on the verge of winning the game with a backup QB starting in the playoffs, until an epic meltdown on the side of the ball he has no control over.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Most NFL coaches do not have control of the 53 man roster, they have control over who's on the gameday roster. The 53 is controlled by the GM and we're offering to let the coach be in on that choice so this should be a more attractive offer for the power hungry than most, it's the next best thing to being coach and GM combined.

stetson...the 53 man roster is controlled by Sashi Brown, not the GM. The GM must report to Sashi.

While it was said that the new coach will be involved in picking the new GM, without the GM having any control over the roster, the HC benefit from being one of many who pick the GM, it amounts to "not much", in the area of control over the roster.

BTW...some of the really, really good teams..super bowl winners, the HC has control of the 53...

Last edited by mac; 01/11/16 07:32 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

or the source is Hue's agent trying to make the 49ers nervous lol. For Hue to get an offer, he would have had to make one hell of an impression. he is one of my top choices but I dont believe he gets the job.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C..

So I can root for Clemson to win now ?

From what some were saying ,that if Saban won the National title He was going to think about another shot in the NFL.

Give him full control, I guess that wouldn't have happened.

When I read Chip Kelly visited Alabama a few days back.. My first thought was he was replacing Nick, since Haslam convinced him to coach here.

Hue Jackson may be a little nutty as some have mentioned, I may enjoy seeing a HC show some excitement on the sideline.

Honestly there has been no one out there that has me excited as coming in as HC.. So who ever gets hired will be just the head Coach.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Supposedly Jackson has the best staff lined up of the people we've interviewed.

Do you know or have heard if he plans on retaning any of the current coaches... If he is hired ?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:
Supposedly Jackson has the best staff lined up of the people we've interviewed.

Do you know or have heard if he plans on retaning any of the current coaches... If he is hired ?

Someone posted an article saying that there are a few coaches that the team wants to retain, but that the coach will have the final say.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Coaching/GM Search 2016 Edition

Link Copied to Clipboard