Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe that in our case, there are certain factors that need to be accounted for.

RG3 has an injury history to consider. When taking that into account, you don't have the stability from a health aspect that you had going into last year with Dalton.

We have had a need to go with our third QB on a fairly regular basis.

This FO and coaching staff had no part of signing any of the young QB's currently on the depth chart with the exception of the rookie.

So I'm not saying you are wrong, but the health and stability of Dalton going into last season is not the same position we are in now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Like I said .... the Bengals kept 2 QB until Dalton got hurt. Then they brought a kid up from their practice squad to back up McCarron.

I see no need for us to keep 3 QB when we can keep RG3 and Kessler, along with a young QBs on the practice squad. That allows us to keep an extra young player elsewhere.

I see a huge need to keep 3 QB's active. Pretty sure Huge see's the same thing. We don't have a clear cut starter. And RGIII and McCown are injury prone. And the Brown's always get to the 3rd string QB at some point during every season.

Plus RGIII and Kessler need veteran leadership with McCown.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Why does RG3 "need veteran leadership with McCown"?

He is an experienced player, and has had both success and failure. Hue will let him know what he requires from him. If RG3 is, for whatever reason, unable to handle what Hue expects, including leadership, then he won't be here when the season starts.

I suspect that RG3 has seen his mistakes, and is willing to learn from them, and work to improve upon his weaknesses. He seems open to all of the coaching points that Hue has presented him with .... including going to work with Tom House.

I just don't see McCown as being this "guru on the bench". Hue and his coaches are going to be the voice in the ear of the QB. I also think that a young player is more valuable than a 39 year old backup QB. (and I say that with all due respect for the job McCown did last year, especially under difficult circumstances)

As far as needing that 3rd guy because we "always need 3 QB" .... if we need a 3rd QB, then it might as well be a young guy who may have some upside. This team is not going to be a winner this year.

*Edit to add* When this team becomes a consistent winner, a huge piece of that is going to be not needing 3 or more different QBs starting. We won't win consistently until we can keep one guy healthy and under Center week in and week out.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 05/17/16 02:21 PM.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I saw you posted Josh was 39 a couple of times. He is 36. I realize that doesn't change your point.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1) RG3 isn't the sure starter. He's got to learn to throw from the pocket to start and that isn't a sure thing.

2) RG3 gets hurt. A lot.

3) Kessler may eventually improve enough to be a back-up, but he's nowhere close to that yet.

4) Josh is cheap and needed.

Legend
Legend
Unless they think someone else is far and away better this season and going forward.. There is no reason RG3 won't be the starter..

They can talk about all the competions and "earning the job" they want, you sign RG3 as a low risk high reward STARTER to see if he's got anything at all.. Not to be Josh McCowns backup..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Unless they think someone else is far and away better this season and going forward.. There is no reason RG3 won't be the starter..

They can talk about all the competions and "earning the job" they want, you sign RG3 as a low risk high reward STARTER to see if he's got anything at all.. Not to be Josh McCowns backup..

I believe that is the FO's expectation, but let's see how it plays out...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
I saw you posted Josh was 39 a couple of times. He is 36. I realize that doesn't change your point.

Oooops .... he just seems 39, rofl (Sorry Josh)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend

tongue

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
1) RG3 isn't the sure starter. He's got to learn to throw from the pocket to start and that isn't a sure thing.

2) RG3 gets hurt. A lot.

3) Kessler may eventually improve enough to be a back-up, but he's nowhere close to that yet.

I'd probably rearrange ur #1 to #4, or even take it off all together.

What does being a pocket passer have to do with him starting? Hes been a starter in the past, and so have other non "pocket- passers", ie Manziel. Staying healthy is RG3s biggest challenge.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

2) RG3 gets hurt. A lot.

I'd probably rearrange ur #1 to #4, or even take it off all together.

What does being a pocket passer have to do with him starting? Hes been a starter in the past, and so have other non "pocket- passers", ie Manziel. Staying healthy is RG3s biggest challenge.

He doesn't have to be a pocket passer, but he has to be able to throw from the pocket. You gave the reason why in your last sentence. If he is out of the pocket for every play week 1, he'll be on the injury report week 2.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

I believe that is the FO's expectation, but let's see how it plays out...

I think that is an obvious. RG3 will have to "Lose" the starting job. Hue is making sure he does not get the feeling of entitlement on the starting position which I think he has been humbled already but we wish him to set a competitive fire under his butt and work hard. So far so good but a lot of football to come from this still. 2nd or 3rd preseason game I expect the starter to be named at the latest.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Must be nice to be such a young fella

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
1st String
1st String
V
Like I said .... the Bengals kept 2 QB until Dalton got hurt. Then they brought a kid up from their practice squad to back up McCarron.

I see no need for us to keep 3 QB when we can keep RG3 and Kessler, along with a young QBs on the practice squad. That allows us to keep an extra young player elsewhere.

My opinion exactly YTown. smile

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Voleur

We can pick that young player back up once RG3 gets hurt.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

imo,... That's a moot point. It's not as much a question of the 53 man roster, as it is about how many you can dress (Active) for a game. Today the rules favor keeping three QB's because even if you only dress two,...you can still bring your 3rd QB in an emergency off of the inactive list.

My personal prefernce is to have Kessler (a rookie) my #3, and two veterans dressed for a game.

I also think that my #3 QB is more valuable to the team, than the 53rd player on the roster, who will not see the field anyway.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 05/19/16 02:47 PM.

[Linked Image]

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
More:

Most of the OSU players will have solid careers: Braxton, Zeke, Michael Thomas, Darron Lee, Adolphous Washington and Tyvis Powell will probably do better than their counterparts.

V
Legend
Legend
V
More:

The Jets taking Christian Hackenberg will prove to be the worst pick in the entire draft.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
More:

The Jets taking Christian Hackenberg will prove to be the worst pick in the entire draft.

I try to stay out of football discussions anymore but I agree with this.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: nordawg
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
More:

I try to stay out of football discussions anymore but I agree with this.

I think so too.

That was an awful pick.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
I predict that one of the browns will win Rookie of the year

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg

ooo

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For this to be true, the most likely is Corey Coleman...but wouldn't it be great if it were 7th round pick Scooby Wright. smile

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Not sure what you mean?I hope it is friendly

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
plus 1 excellent analysis
But at the otas they were really excited about the outside linebacker we drafted.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
For this to be true, the most likely is Corey Coleman...but wouldn't it be great if it were 7th round pick Scooby Wright. smile

I could see Ogbah getting DROY if he can get the sack numbers up..

Goff will get OROY as long as he isn't terrible..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C

Ezekiel Elliott?

Legend
Legend

Maybe...do you know that young back up practice squad player can sign to another team's active roster at any point?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Ezekiel Elliott?

Forgot about him..

Bold Prediction: Elliot doesn't have a "great" rookie season due to being uncomfortable wearing a full length jersey.

Last edited by ThatGuy; 05/31/16 04:31 PM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is why I would keep McCown as the #2 QB.

This team is obviously not able to support a rookie quarterback in a way that advances his development. Months have been spent discussing the weaknesses of this roster. If you care at all that Kessler has a chance to become a viable quarterback at some pont, having him one RG3 knee ligament away from starting is not wise.

Creating any situation where he might be forced on to the field too early is a mistake. I think the extra roster spot gained from only having two QBs on the active roster is a good point. Supposedly nobody wants Kessler, he should clear waivers and make it to the practice squad. Bring him up later if needed. Meanwhile he's in the QB room learning how to play NFL QB from Hue Jackson.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Supposedly nobody wants Kessler, he should clear waivers and make it to the practice squad. Bring him up later if needed. Meanwhile he's in the QB room learning how to play NFL QB from Hue Jackson.

I would say there is a 0% chance Kessler makes it through waivers.

Also, it is misnomer to say that nobody wants him. He would have been drafted had we not taken him.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
OK, if as you suggests, Kessler has enough value to be signed to another team's active roster, which is what you're suggesting. I don't think it's permissible to acquire him and then stash him on another team's PS. If what I'm saying is accurate then just keep him and McCown. Again, you are keeping McCown as protection from rushing Kessler in as a very young and inexperienced starter. I don't think I really have to say we've done that on a number of occassions. We all know the outcome.

C
Legend
Legend
C
OK, if as you suggests, Kessler has enough value to be signed to another team's active roster, which is what you're suggesting. I don't think it's permissible to acquire him and then stash him on another team's PS. If what I'm saying is accurate then just keep him and McCown. Again, you are keeping McCown as protection from rushing Kessler in as a very young and inexperienced starter. I don't think I really have to say we've done that on a number of occassions. We all know the outcome.

The difference between Kessler and many of our other "projects" (McCoy, Manziel, Weeden, etc.) is that he should at least be able to handle an NFL playbook right away.

V
Legend
Legend
V
If he can lift it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
[quote=guard dawg]
The difference between Kessler and many of our other "projects" (McCoy, Manziel, Weeden, etc.) is that he should at least be able to handle an NFL playbook right away.

I've often been able to digest the logic from your post. Just not this time. I am not aware of any evidence, especially at this stage of the off season, that would convince me that Kessler is more advanced than the quaterbacks you mention in terms of mastery of a N?FL playbook. Look, the team overall needs development. Putting Kessler in the precarious position of being the number 2 does not help him or the Browns.

If we believe in the merits of competition then Kessler should not, emerge from camp as the #2.

I think I get what you are saying. Comes from a "pro-like" (my term) offense takes snaps under center, etc. I don't think that prepars him to be one play away from starting.

Last edited by guard dawg; 05/31/16 10:41 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
[quote=guard dawg]

I've often been able to digest the logic from your post. Just not this time. I am not aware of any evidence, especially at this stage of the off season, that would convince me that Kessler is more advanced than the quaterbacks you mention in terms of mastery of a N?FL playbook. Look, the team overall needs development. Putting Kessler in the precarious position of being the number 2 does not help him or the Browns.

If we believe in the merits of competition then Kessler should not, emerge from camp as the #2.

Kessler played in a Pro Style offense at USC and played four several different coordinators. This leads me to believe he will be better prepared for the pros than the previously mentioned QBs who played in true spread systems. Kessler is also known to be a very smart, hard-working individual. Those traits, when combined with his playing experience, make me think he can be a #2 QB in the league today.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Laughing, but not at you...I was editing my last post in anticipation of the pro-style offense argument before I saw your most recent post.

Ok, we have a difference of opinion. I understand you argument hopefully you understand mine. I don't see that the Browns' gain a great deal from accelerating Kessler's development. But they risks harm to him and the team by rushing him. You don't share my concern about that risk.

Last edited by guard dawg; 05/31/16 10:54 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Laughing, but not at you...I was editing my last post to respond to the pro-style offense rebuttal before I saw you most recent post.

Ok, we have a difference of opinion. I understand you argument hopefully you understand mine. I don't see that the Browns' gain a great deal from accelerating Kessler's development. But they risks harm to him and the team by rushing him. You don't share my concern about that risk.

I don't think Kessler is going to develop. He is who he is.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Aaaahhhh, that definitely helps me understand your position.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/K,

Wow!
I cant believe anyone would suggest keeping only two QB's over the 53rd man on the roster WHO WILL NEVER BE ACTIVE FOR A GAME.

Where is the logic?

There ain't none.

Nothing gained. Period!

Lossed? Well yes your emergency QB and the benifit of time for a rookie to develop.

But hey if you really think that that 53rd man is so ultra important, then by all means carry on with your discussion about keeping said player over a 3rd QB.

Jm 2cents.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season 2016 NFL Draft Post-Draft Predictions

Link Copied to Clipboard