Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think we should wait till his pro day before writing him off for bad timing on out routes at the combine. I was under the impression the QBs are told to hit the top of their drop and immediately throw it to a spot.

He does have a lot of inconsistency, but his highs are great. He still has a lot of rough edges, but I think he's high quality material to sculpt. I like the Favre comp. I pulled up some Southern Miss highlights of Brett's and I could see the similarities.

I also strangely like the fact that he is used to being on the less talented team most game days. He's dealt with adversity, so he shouldn't be in shock if he ends up here. Unlike Watson, Trubisky, and to an extent Kizer, he's used to being an underdog.

I kind of get your argument about his accuracy, and I probably wouldn't want Mahomes for a timing based west coast system, but if we're going to run the ball, take play action deep shots, and throw screens I like him a lot. I'll admit I am partial to gunslingers and the deep ball.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Does anyone know how they actually measure for velocity at the combine?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll puke if we draft him. He is my least favorite qb [of the guys that are being hyped] in this draft and that is saying something.

But, we all have our opinions on who is good and who isn't.

P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Wow that's pretty extreme. You mentioned earlier about his attitude. Care to elaborate? Seems like an upstanding young man to me.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh, nothing off of the field.

I don't like how he thinks it's okay to run whatever he wants outside of the confines of the offense and how he is kinda cocky about it.

I might be extreme in my opinion, but sorry bro, I just don't want that guy on my team.

P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Oh ok i was afraid I'd missed something. You are entitled to your opinion. Like I've said he is my guy this draft but that doesn't mean I have a top 10 grade or anything on him crazy like that. More so speaks to how much I dislike the class as a whole

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mahomes is receiving many of the same knocks as did Brett Farve. Farve fell to the top of round two, but we know in retrospect that he should have went 1st overall that year.

I'm not ready to put Mahomes in that high of praise, but he is uncanny in that when he is off platform, he is always looking to pass first and his accuracy off platform at this point, is better than when on platform.

[Linked Image]

D
All Pro
All Pro
D

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

1. Watson's velocity in film looks a lot better than 49??? Do you think one of the camps was having him change his Delivery and that caused the test result?

2. After Tribusky the only later round QBs I wish for us to invest in is Webb or Peterman.

If Watson's test is not who he is I wouldn't mind him either.

I still say someone jerked around with his deliver. The pic has the shoulders way too squared up as velocity comes not from "ARM" strength but shoulder turn as well as hip turn. There is no shoulder turn in that pic what soever.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1245254 03/12/17 11:11 AM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I can't answer that...I don't know why his velocity was so slow.

But as mid-round guys I like both players you mentioned there. I could see Webb moving up draft boards though, not be cause of the velocity he threw just cause he seems to be improving his stock. Footwork looks better, good showing at the senior bowl, good combine, etc....He may not be available in the mid-rounds....It might take a second to get him.

eotab #1245255 03/12/17 11:12 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I read on a random message board (so I'm not positive on the accuracy) that they are measured by radar gun, but the reading only counts if they hit a target. Watson can probably throw faster than 49, but it seems he might lose accuracy when throwing harder.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Weeden had as strong of an arm as anyone that has played, what good did it do him? superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Weeden had as strong of an arm as anyone that has played, what good did it do him? superconfused

He had the fastest flipper i'd ever seen.... :lol:

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: dean_fairchild
I can't answer that...I don't know why his velocity was so slow.
Other then being measured by radar I'm still curious how they measure it?
Is is it measured during the drills? Because if they are measured during the drills then velocity would be less important then placement. Or are they asked to line-up and throw it as hard as they can at some target? *

Over the years looking at the combine numbers I never know what to think of their velocity because some of them don't match the tape. *shrugs* Maybe I'm wrong but I think if a team really wanted to know QBs velocity they can get some smart guys (sports science types) and measure functional velocity based on film.

Quote:
But as mid-round guys I like both players you mentioned there. I could see Webb moving up draft boards though, not be cause of the velocity he threw just cause he seems to be improving his stock. Footwork looks better, good showing at the senior bowl, good combine, etc....He may not be available in the mid-rounds....It might take a second to get him.
I've been a fan of Webb for awhile. He doesn't give much in terms of adlib or evasion. But, he's got natural arm talent. Can functional get rid of the ball quick and he's got good size (however much that does/doesn't mean to people).

Peterman has more athletic ability then he gets credit for and he's a more traditional rhythm drop back passer type. You can watch his tape and see him on 3-5-7 steps drops. His arm isn't anything special on tape though.

---------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Mahomes is receiving many of the same knocks as did Brett Farve.
There is Farvesque quality to Mahomes when he adlibs, if we're saying that is similar then we should also mention that Favre played under center in a 'pro-style' offense as opposed to a pure shotgun air-raid spread. So unlike Mahomes you could see Favre actually executing rhythm dropback passing 3-5-7 step drop and playaction in addition to the adlib stuff.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
True, I saw him live beating my Gators.
He made a believer out of me that game and became my top scouting priority from then on, up to the Draft.

I said some of the same knocks, that is not imputing 'similar', but rather some of the same faults in their traits (Gunslinger).

Partially, in Mahomes behalf is the offense he played in lends itself to that style of play. I think that often times gets left out of the discussion.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 03/12/17 03:23 PM.

[Linked Image]

drobs #1245384 03/12/17 03:19 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: drobs

Flipper brings back some bad memories ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D

Flipper brings back some bad memories ...

Sorry about that - if you don't laugh, you cry... laugh

drobs #1245441 03/12/17 05:30 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
+1 frown

drobs #1245459 03/12/17 06:14 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

Faster than lightning...

E
Legend
Legend
E

He's going to start for the Texans... rofl

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'd love to draft pat in the late second to early third round range. Tech can always be improved. I like his brash confidence and arm talent. I think he is a guy that Hue would enjoy tinkering with.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend

The Browns have a bunch of picks.

I would have no problem using one on this kid.

You never know about quarterbacks at the early stage. If the Browns were smart they would draft this kid as a developmental prospect no matter what else they do at the position.

Mahomes has real potential. His issues are correctable with good coaching. What he brings to the table is uncoachable.

Just saw some of his interview with Gruden.

I just like what I see and hear.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. PM sounds like the type of guy that with time, patience and a good mentor he could be a better than decent QB. With young guys you never know. Even Johnny Unitas and Len Dawson, to name a couple, got cut.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Watching him play, I come away with the impression that he's really gonna have to rein it in to be a successful NFL QB. If he can do that he could be good,if not he could end up a career backup or worse, end up in the Canada league.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
It's easier reining it in than forcing an aggressive mindset where it isn't natural. I think PM, in the right situation and with patience, becomes a good NFL QB.

drobs #1249773 03/21/17 03:30 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Reminds me of Wilson.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Watching him play, I come away with the impression that he's really gonna have to rein it in to be a successful NFL QB. If he can do that he could be good,if not he could end up a career backup or worse, end up in the Canada league.

That's the kicker with him. He's not ready to start right away at all, and he's going to push a coach's patience with the mechanics and the bravado stuff you alluded to. I think he's got the most arm talent in the draft, but he's not worth a 1st round pick because of the issues mentioned........boom or bust guy.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend

Early on when watching him I was reminded of Farve. Usually I never compare players but he is a guy that plays the same way.

In today's environment the players get the best of coaching. They are like investments.

However, sometimes the coaching tries to make all the quarterbacks fit into a pre-set quarterback mold. The coaching can become very robotic.

Mahomes is the type of guy that needs coaching but it should be used to shape and not mold.

We have picks. We don't have players. Kessler and Hogan are very limited. I would rather take a swing at Trubisky and Mahomes if Garoppolo falls through.

Everybody freaked when Washington drafted Cousins in the same draft as Griffin. Funny how that turned out.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I was big on Mahomes early in the offseason but I sadly think his stock is elevating to the level that he'll be off the board late first.

I have a weird hunch that our QB of the future is going to end up as Davis Webb....probably in the 3rd or 4th

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
its funny because trub is the best rated QB in the draft but he couldn't beat out old pat here and didn't want to compete against him. I find that interesting.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

We all have opinions and that is fine, but I wouldn't take Mahomes before round 5.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
... or worse, end up in the Canada league.

Go easy on the CFL. Have you ever watched a game?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend

Kinda surprised you dislike Mahomes so much.

Don't like bringing up Manziel but my take is Mahomes is a better prospect than Manziel was coming out.

I know he is rough around the edges and is a bit undisciplined but the talent is there. He plays fast and loose but he has good instincts. He see the field well and has the arm.

Once he gets under a pro structure I think he will come around.

P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
its funny because trub is the best rated QB in the draft but he couldn't beat out old pat here and didn't want to compete against him. I find that interesting.

That was Webb not trub

P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
I tend to be all over the place with my qb preferences. One year I'm all about a Bridgewater next it's mahomes. I guess for me it's all about Blue chip traits. That's why I don't like trub. He does everything well enough but not great. I find it hard to believe he'll be a threat at greater competition level. Same with Watson and kizer. I just don't see blue chip skills. Pat I do. While he has his clear downfalls he's the only one who could potentially make a defense work imo.

Last edited by predator16; 03/22/17 11:49 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I still think Mitch will be the best QB of the bunch but I'm leaning toward Mahomes as being the second best. I think the Browns taking him at 12 is a very real thing.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wow that would be high for PM. I like him as well, but he will require a ton of work. I would be fine taking him at 33 but anything before that is more than I hope the Browns would do.

He is the 2nd best QB in this draft imo behind MT, but I don't know if that makes him a first round pick.

M
Legend
Legend
M
We'll find out. I just think teams like him more than they're letting on and Cleveland could be one of them. I don't get into the reach/value pick debate--most people that do end up being wrong. I've seen it all too often on this board. If the guy ends up being good, it was a good pick. If not, he's a bust. If a team likes him enough at #33 to take him, just do it at #12 and secure him as your franchise QB...if you think that's what he is. If it's that close, I wouldn't be cute about it, especially at QB and in a round where trades happen quite a bit now in the post CBA world. I guess there is an exception if he's just not that good, but I don't see him lasting very long in the draft.

I like Mahomes and he might have the largest ceiling of the QBs here. If he is perceived by teams to be the second best QB in the draft, he'll get taken in round one.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I view him as a 3rd round prospect, and was thus paying the "QB tax" and placing him a round early. I wouldn't draft a guy two rounds early though because I needed a QB.

You are right though and one of these teams could view him as a 1st/2nd round prospect and take him in round 1........I just don't see him as that and hope the Browns don't.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Patrick Mahomes

Link Copied to Clipboard