Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:...I think he likes Mahomes, and justifiably so.
Out of curiosity is there some report or link to why you think Hue likes Mahomes or are you speculating Hue likes him because you like him?

I think it's a sprinkle of all of those things. I've seen reports, pardon me, tweets from analysts referencing the fact they believe Hue likes Mahomes. I also see some peices of his game that remind me of Colin Kaepernick, but I think PM is the better prospect with a higher ceiling, although perhaps just as raw. Hue went on record saying he was gushing over Colin in his draft and wanted him badly. So I see a possible correlation there-- perhaps not a good sign. I like Mahomes, but I like Trubisky more. I'd prefer we take him at 12 but I don't believe he'll be there.

So, that's the broad paint brush gist of my earlier comment.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
I wish some publication had time to track his throws on platform and off. I wonder what that info would tell us on his accuracy. Because from the eyeball and completely IMHO he is the most naturally accurate thrower I see. I don't think anyone in this class can drop it right in the breadbasket or lead his wr with anticipation like Pat does. Maybe I'm wrong but if I am I'd like it to be proven because man some of his throws both on and off platform just make my jaw literally drop. His other positives are icing for me.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The anticipation is the thing about his game that impresses me the most. At least how it relates to the other QBs.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: predator16
I wish some publication had time to track his throws on platform and off. I wonder what that info would tell us on his accuracy. Because from the eyeball and completely IMHO he is the most naturally accurate thrower I see. I don't think anyone in this class can drop it right in the breadbasket or lead his wr with anticipation like Pat does. Maybe I'm wrong but if I am I'd like it to be proven because man some of his throws both on and off platform just make my jaw literally drop. His other positives are icing for me.

MATT WALDMAN RSP film room: called Patrick Mahomes "a freak". in that his accuracy off platform one can not find any discernible descent in his accuracy, which is a dichotomy (antitheses) to the norm.

Question, (to all) is it not the defense's agenda to take the apposing QB off of platform?

If he is inaccurate it is because of his inconsistency with the 'basic' element's of his (front) foot, leg and shoulder allignment.

As Hue Jackson likes to say ..." they are a hunk of clay".

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 03/27/17 01:06 PM.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:...I think he likes Mahomes, and justifiably so.
Out of curiosity is there some report or link to why you think Hue likes Mahomes or are you speculating Hue likes him because you like him?

Nothing concrete, but there is speculation out there from some of the beat writers. I think Mary Kay had something written saying she has the sense that Hue prefers Mahomes over Kizer. Think they were the first two to get worked out at the time though. I'll see if I can find the article.
Link

Quote:
As for Mahomes, they worked him out privately two weeks ago and I hear they like his arm talent and upside. He's a developmental project but I get the sense they like him better than DeShone Kizer, whom they also worked out privately last week. Everything is still on the table in the quarterback department, including trying to trade for a veteran such as Jimmy Garoppolo or A.J. McCarron, or drafting a top prospect such as Mitch Trubisky.

So yeah, speculation supported speculation, but it's draft season so it's pretty much what we'll get until it's over.

Last edited by GrimmBrown; 03/27/17 01:15 PM. Reason: added link and quote

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Doing their 'due diligence', as an organization is kin to a love affair this time of year.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend

In Mahomes' final season at Texas Tech, the Red Raiders' quarterback threw 41 touchdowns compared to just 10 interceptions and logged 5,052 passing yards.

No matter how you slice and dice the guy that is impressive.

I stated from the first time I watched his tape that he reminded me of Farve.

He can do things others can not do. He needs to be coached but his errors are coachable.

His background is interesting. His father was a major leaguer. He has been around world class athletes and most likely will respond well to coaching.

My take is if Garoppolo can not be had get Trubisky and Mahomes.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
In Mahomes' final season at Texas Tech, the Red Raiders' quarterback threw 41 touchdowns compared to just 10 interceptions and logged 5,052 passing yards.

So he's a little bit better than Timmy Chang?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend

? sorry but what is that supposed to mean?

Legend
Legend
Chang's final year at Hawaii.

4200 yards
38 TDs
13 INTs

Stats are fun.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Legend
Legend
P
I hope we Don't draft him, Most every QB in the Big 12 looks like a high pick, the NO DEFENSE CONFERENCE ... JMHO tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend

Judge the player not the school or conference.

Legend
Legend
So you want that pair? What does one give you that the other lacks? Or one gives you in huge amounts the other does not? Interesting notion. Just wish I understood better what you see in it. Maybe we just draft and trade for three a year until it clearly produces our franchise Qbee (who still may not be all that we need).

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I dont think there is any better source on what the Browns will do than Michael Silver. Having said that, I don't recall Silver ever mentioning Mahomes being a target for the Browns. He does however mention Trubisky a lot. Trub is Hue's guy.

Legend
Legend

Analyitics.

No quarterback in this draft stands apart or above the rest.

Not much separation even between the top five guys really.

We have the picks. They are assets to be used as leverage to improve. You have a little over a 50 percent success rate with first rounders. Increase the odds by taking two guys. It may be insurance but with that said maybe they blow two picks. Still have to take chances.

The Browns have to solve the quarterback issue.

If they can get Trubisky at 12 and Mahomes is available in the seocnd round I would take him.

Washington did it with Griffin and Cousins. Funny how that turned out after all that was given up to get Griffin.

Trubisky is not a sure thing. Mahomes has a load of natural talent. He just needs time and coaching.

Let them compete. Let the guy who shows best get the chance. Maybe down the road there is more than one option.

Mahomes just has a unique skill set. Like Aaron Rodgers he can throw the ball from all kinds of platforms. He can play the position like a short stop. You can't coach that. He has arm talent and instincts for the game.

Trubisky is a solid all around player. No real faults. At the same time he is not outstanding at any single thing. He may be fine but he does not have the upside that Mahomes may have.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I could see us drafting 2 QB's but more like the 1st and 4th rounds ... JMHO thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
That pick at #12 is very valuable in this year's draft. One of the main reasons is that there are some absolute studs that might fall that far.

Hooker, Allen, Barnett to name a few that might slip. Can we really afford to pass them up for a so-so pick at QB? I really find it hard to justify it to be honest.

It may well be we trade #12 for Jimmy G. I can easily see that happening and I won't fault them if they do. Still it doesn't look like its going to really happen.

IF we draft a QB at #12 it had better be Trub. He is the most polished IMHO of the QBs in this draft. Still he might be long gone by #12. If Trub is gone and none of the key players we wanted have dropped then I can see us just going ahead and drafting Pat there.

Yes, I know that pick #12 is way too high for a project QB but at the same time if they want him they mostly likely won't get him in round 2. There is no way to know what it will cost to move up into the bottom of the first. I think pat will be gone by pick 20-25. Pit would love him as big ben's heir so he definitely won't make it past them. By the time you move back that far to get Pat it might just be better to take him at 12 and be done with it. In a perfect world we draft him at #33. Our world seldom turns out to be perfect though.

It's going to be a tough draft day decision that is for sure!

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Crappy qbs are being overvalued by many.

I really don't know when any of these guys will be drafted and I won't even guess because there are always surprises.

For example, a few years ago, I was shocked when Bortles went before the others, but I was even more shocked that guys like Teddy, Carr, Manziel [yes, I admit it,] and Jimmy G lasted so long.

Conversely, I was even more shocked when duds like Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker went so high.

This year's group reminds me so much of he Gabbert, Ponder, Locker class.

Way overrated.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I keep hearing the same catch word sound bites echoed about draft prospects and imho some of them are empty quotes and others are just wrong.

Other then arm talent I struggle to find support to notion that he has the highest ceiling or upside. And IF that projection is based on physical skillset then Kizer's spherical attributes are as good as any.

I guess I find a lot of the hype around Mahomes draft time groupthink mixed with a little 'lying season' loose talk.

P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Only know him as the kid from Texas Tech I got a call saying I should watch his tape and then I posted this thread. Others may have followed but fwiw this thread was started 100% organic. He was a 3rd rounder back then.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I keep hearing the same catch word sound bites echoed about draft prospects and imho some of them are empty quotes and others are just wrong.

Other then arm talent I struggle to find support to notion that he has the highest ceiling or upside. And IF that projection is based on physical skillset then Kizer's spherical attributes are as good as any.

I guess I find a lot of the hype around Mahomes draft time groupthink mixed with a little 'lying season' loose talk.

The only reason Kizer is also talked about in the first round is because of arm talent. I am against Kizer though because I have had to deal with him in real life and he is your typical super arrogant jerk of a person from ND quarterback room. To me ND just spoils QB's by giving them a sense of entitlement instead of a need to work hard at their craft and it comes from the board all the way on down to the coaches.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sounds more like sour grapes from where I sit.

People professional or otherwise are entitle to their own opinion. No?

[Linked Image]

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: predator16
Only know him as the kid from Texas Tech I got a call saying I should watch his tape and then I posted this thread. Others may have followed but fwiw this thread was started 100% organic. He was a 3rd rounder back then.
Yep i remember when we were talking about him at first back then we were talking about him as a third-round Prospect maybe second round and judging the merits of whether or not he belong there. Now people are talking about him but the number 12 overall pick I just think it's interesting how the season has ended and nothing really has changed about his game film it now he's bolted up makes me question the hype surrounding him

I'm not a guy that develops a dislike for prospects...they all have a fit somewhere in the draft. And I'm partial to QBs and DBS.

I just question the label highest cieling.. strikes me as a non-specific way to praise a player.

Last edited by edromeo; 03/28/17 08:58 AM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I get what your saying Ed. Most of us had not watched much film of him back then to be fair though. I know I said I hadn't back then.

I don't think anyone is saying he should go in the first round. I think people are saying if you want him that is where you will HAVE to take him because several lower first round picks are looking at him quite closely. I think is arm talent and positive personality will land him in the first even though he is probably not going to start right away. A team like Pitt is a perfect fit for him and a nightmare for us if he gets to sit and learn behind big ben.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I'm confused you're saying that no one is saying that he should go in the first round but then you're turning around and saying he should go in the first round.

It sounds like semantics to me. People are talking about him as a first round pick right?

Last edited by edromeo; 03/28/17 09:24 AM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm confused you're saying that no one is saying that he should go in the first round but then you're turning around and saying he should go in the first round.

It sounds like semantics to me. People are talking about him as a first round pick right?

I don't get what your confused about. He is a guy that should be taken in the second round but will most likely be taken in the first by teams who are taking him too early simply because he is a QB. THEREFORE if the Browns want him they will also have to reach beyond his actual worth to grab him too. The only safe way some people see to do that is to take him at #12. No one think he should be drafted at 12 but some think it might happen due to how things might play out.

P
Legend
Legend
P
This guy and Davis Webb have been pushed up the draft board by the Media they both started with a 4th rd. or lower grade ... Buyer beware superconfused

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
This guy and Davis Webb have been pushed up the draft board by the Media they both started with a 4th rd. or lower grade ... Buyer beware superconfused

Literally all of the QBs have and are always pushed up the draft board.

I'd doubt any of these QBs are ranked in the Top 20s overall talent wise.

And people want to take them #1.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
To each there own.

I thinks what you are saying is a contradiction.

You're either willing to take player at a certain spot in the draft or you're not. If someone drafts a player at pick 12 then regardless of your reason/circumstances or your rationale that is where YOU value him based on the pick.

Wherever you draft a player is where you value them.

Last edited by edromeo; 03/28/17 02:05 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

The reason is simple. They where not media darlings at the onset and where overlooked.

Was Wentz thought of as worthy of the second pick in the draft at the close of that season? No

Some do their due diligence and where on the bus already, but that was not the prevailing thought, because the media was in the shade.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Is there much difference b/w Goff and Davis? seem like identical players.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Is there much difference b/w Goff and Davis? seem like identical players.

Yes, 2" and 35 pounds. I'll take that at pick 32 over not having it at pick 1 or 2.
I watched Goff a fair amount in college. Wanting to find something to really like about him. Never did. I think he can be better than say, Tannehill. But I don't feel like he's going to be a 'next level' player.

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
J/c...

Take this FWIW...

Brent Sobleski (Bleacher Report) was just on 92.3 WKRK and stated that Patrick Mahomes was the most accurate passer, with Watson being #2, when releasing the ball under 2.5 seconds.

**Disclaimer: I cannot find the data (or do not have access to the data) to back-up the claim by Sobleski.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I trust you, Milk. You are not the type to lie.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
What does this mean though? They throw their fair share of screen passes in that offense and in Clemson's a bit.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Great point.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I trust you, Milk. You are not the type to lie.

Indeed! Obviously, being in a quick read and release offense may play a factor, but thought the info was worth noting (assuming Sobleski's data is correct).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
What does this mean though? They throw their fair share of screen passes in that offense and in Clemson's a bit.

I don't think it's just those two offenses. Most college offenses include the quick screen game now.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do more of it this year in an attempt to manufacture more touches for Coleman.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
Charles Casserly on @nflnetwork said multiple teams told him that Mahomes is # 1 QB on their board...been my # 1 since November

https://twitter.com/DTPDraftScout/status/846860323349037057

Tackles are tackles.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
J/c...Take this FWIW...

Brent Sobleski (Bleacher Report) was just on 92.3 WKRK and stated that Patrick Mahomes was the most accurate passer, with Watson being #2, when releasing the ball under 2.5 seconds.

**Disclaimer: I cannot find the data (or do not have access to the data) to back-up the claim by Sobleski.
It makes sense from watching Mahomes I didn't have an issue with his accuracy so this isn't surprising to me.

And I read/posted something similar about Watson in another thread. https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-3-stats-that-define-deshaun-watsons-game/

Quote:
3. Watson’s average time to attempt was 2.11 seconds in 2016, the sixth-fastest time in the nation.

While time in the pocket will differ from team to team, being able to get rid of the ball quickly is essential to the success of any quarterback. Watson’s average time to attempt this year was 2.11 seconds, sixth-fastest in the nation. This could be used as an argument that Watson was predetermining his reads and throwing it to the first receiver in his progressions, but when you look closer at his numbers, you see that he actually improved when he took more time in the pocket and had to go to his second, third, and fourth reads.

numbers from 2.6s and more:

172 dropbacks or 32.6 % of his dropbacks

sacks 11

atts 134

comp 70

comp % 52.2

11 TD 2 INT

NFL QB Rating 108.4

Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
To me it means those QB can quickly and accurately get the ball out of their hands. I can't knock them for their systems or explaining it away by saying its a function of their offenses because from watching all these QBs they all throw a ton of screens and quick game and I've seen some QBs misson screen passes. So I guess another way to see it is that Mahomes and Watson miss less often on quick game passes then their counterparts. It would be nice to find all the QBs on the list...maybe it will come out later.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Patrick Mahomes

Link Copied to Clipboard