Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
This might sound crazy, but I kinda love this pick.

I love that you love this pick.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Hue Jackson has his project.

Not a QB Guru at all, not even a little. But Kizer has the measurable. Height, Weight, all there. I've read that he's also a smart kid. Size and Brains! I can't measure courage but I assume the team feels he's got that also.

So the question is, can Hue Jackson show him how to be the starter. Can he help him be the best he can be?

I'm not overly excited or depressed about this pick. We'll see what we have.

But I have to say this, I hope to hell we got our guy for the next 10+ years. fingerscrossed

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Why was 15 Kizer so good and 16 Kizer so bad?

Also, he's from Ohio! He is here to redeem the souls of Frye, Quinn, and Hoyer!

The three games I posted were from 2016, and I thought those were pretty damned good.

V
Legend
Legend
V
steve, what do you think of his accuracy?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
The fact tat Hue thinks that he is a " QB Whisper " is going to ruin him as a head coach .. This was another wasted pick ..
Take him the forth or fifth and would say fine . I really don;t want Hue picking my QB !

this

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Wow! After watching Kizer with Gruden, I am stoked. He's extremely smart and seems like a confident leader to me. Everyone gushes about his arm and ability. I'm ready to see what Hue can do with him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ok, so what irks me about Kizer is that he has some growing up to do. He comes across poorly, and someone needs to mentor him. The skills are there, the maturity is not.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
One doesn't have to like a pick for it to be value at that spot. I didn't like the Kizer pic either but i understand it and it was about where the other 3 Qbs should have been picked at but teams reached for them. No matter how one feels we got the MOST value of all 4 Qbs off the board.
Again I would have went another direction with the pick but it was value and and if he succeeds great...if he don't we have ammo to get another next year. I dont really understand the fuss. If ya ain't trying to fix the Qb spot that's one thing. There is no SURE fire fixes in this Qb class and we have maybe at this point the least invested and yet the reward is very high.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Ok, so what irks me about Kizer is that he has some growing up to do. He comes across poorly, and someone needs to mentor him. The skills are there, the maturity is not.

I wouldn't say it's THAT big of a flaw, though. It's not like he's out doing coke and hanging with strippers. The guy was coached by the biggest hot head in college football, it's not like he was going to get the gift of maturity by a 50 year old coach who lacks any maturity.

If that's Kizer's biggest flaw, then we just destroyed the draft with this single pick. I have every faith that Kizer will mature quite nicely.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Fantastic pick. I don't normally make prediction like statements, but I think Kizer will end up being the best QB in this year's draft class.

He has the best pump fake I've seen in years. Very Ben Roth like.

He is deceptively mobile, and can make any throw.

Coaching is all he needs, which is the one variable that can change a player for the better.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Saturday morning ; calmed down from last night ( a little ) . After praising our front office for not reaching ( day one ) like many other teams did , they go back to TRUE form and reached for Kiser in the second just like they reached for Kessler in the third last draft !

I kept waiting for the Brain trust to engineer some picks and move up in the talent laden Second ; and nothing .. Watched tons of TALENT pour off the board and we did NOTHING .. So when 52 rolled around I was prepared to be amazed .. bombed ..

You take Kiser ( or any remaing QB's in the forth / fifth fine , shoot take a couple .. Taking Kesler in the third was a reach and Kisser in the second a reach .. Said it be for and will say it again .. Hue Jackson ain't no " QB WHISPER " Even if he thinks he is ..

Not happy with day two at all .. Day one was just fine !

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: Swish
My philosophy is what tony dungy says.

You got a guy that's suppose to be the franchise, you start his ass day 1. That's the fastest way these kids develop is to play.

If you got a guy that's supposed to be the franchise, you draft him #1 ... and most people agree with the selection.

As I've said before, there are two types of QBs that go on to be stars ... those that are Day 1 Franchise saviors, that get drafted #1, and those that have potential and get drafted later on.

If you're guy is in that second group, you:
- Don't over draft them
- Take your time with them
- Hopefully plug them into a team that's got the rest of the roster in order.

Historically, look at the good QBs that WEREN'T #1 picks that have succeeded. They generally follow two of those three criteria. (Big Ben, Brees, Carr, Dak, Brady, Flacco, Cousins, etc)

That's why the Kizer pick is decent. He's a borderline first rounder that we got in the middle of the second. That's good value, which also means he doesn't come in with tons of pressure on him from the get-go. He's also got a revamped offensive line in front of him, a first-round WR and TE to work with, and a decent RB in Crowell. We just need to take our time with him and let him learn the system. Put him in when he's ready, and he may just succeed. Historically, that's what works.

Derek Carr was drafted and in the 2nd and started day 1.

Russel Wilson got drafted in the 3rd and started day 1.

Prescott got drafted in the 4th and started day 1*due to injury

Andy dalton got drafted in the 2nd and started day 1

so I'm just basing my opinion off the evidence I see. Cause you can't tell raiders and bengals didn't draft their guys in the 2nd and NOT expect them to be the franchise QB of that team.

There's multiple ways to skin a cat, but in today's NFL, grabbing QB's in the second round typically means you expect them to start, either day one at or SOME point.

That's why I side with dungy. If you draft a guy expecting him to be THE guy, then start him unless he's still too raw at the start of the season. Cause playing time is the best development.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
On top of that, for all we know, Kizer might ALREADY be the best QB on the roster.

And if he ends up winning the QB competition after training camp and preseason, then it makes no sense to sit him.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Dude needs time no doubt.

Play Action attempts he's at 77%. That's correct 77.

I'd like to look at that site that breaks down Under pressure, when bltzed etc.

Anyone link it?

Legend
Legend
Just for curiosity, who was ranked/graded higher before the draft: Kizer or Dak? And what were their similarities/differences?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
After watching some YouTube, yeah he definitely has that arm everyone speaks of. Could make any throw, especially Hue's beloved deep ball. Pretty mobile too. Perfect physical frame/measurable(s).

I really didn't know anything about him. Didn't even know he was from Toledo, ha. I hadn't watched any tape and read minimal leading up to the draft.

But, hadn't we took him I think another team would've moved up. That seemed like what every team did to get a QB besides us. Hue now has a ton of projects, but unlike Cody, this one gives him a running option QB and someone with an rocket arm.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, considering that all of the QBs in the draft are considered somewhat projects, I think this pick makes a TON more sense than what KC or Houston did. They moved up and traded away their future for QBs that are just as questionable as Kizer.

The Browns just let him fall right into their laps.

Obviously, we won't know until he's out there with the bullets flying but it's hard to dislike the strategy here.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
S
Rookie
Rookie
S

Will Fuller.

ND had no NFL speed at all at WR in 2016.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
The Browns just let him fall right into their laps.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. Sashi Brown said.."We were surprised that he was there and available to us at 52.”

I hope there was not any discussion on whether to make the pick, once Kizer fell to us.

Can analytics predict when you are about to get lucky?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
E
Legend
Legend
E
Was not a 1st round QB but then again few that were taken were. Him and Mahomes were being touted by many to have the biggest Upside as a QB prospect.

I know he had a bad season last year. Now we will see if Hue is truly a QB guru or not. If he can develop this kid we finally got our Franchise QB...in the mean time we will see how much Kessler improves this year. Will be a great situation if we can have two viable QBs for a change.

jmho...good luck guys got real football practice bye!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
a big question to always ask: Can a players flaws be coached/improved?

Kessler? Very marginally
Kizer? I'd say yes

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I think that was part of what turned me off, but he is only a 21 y/o Redshirt-Sophomore. Hopefully he'll mature, and maybe dropping to pick 52 will help with that.

More concerning is his accuracy. He definitely flashes good placement at times, but he can spray it all over, too. If they can clean that up, we could have something. Not sure if that's something they can do, though.

Our QB room definitely wasn't settled, and at 52 he does have a great ceiling. We'll never find a franchise QB if we don't add guys with a chance/guys who aren't perfect to the team.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Draft Day 2 Analysis: The Browns Play It Smart

Rather than reach for a quarterback, Cleveland waited through the first round while continuing to build its roster, then took a flyer on DeShone Kizer in Round 2. It’s all going according to plan

America entered draft week ready to blast the Browns for overextending to go get a quarterback in a year with no sure thing at the position—and in the process, passing on a pass-rusher with a comic-book build and Olympic athleticism.
We’ll exit it having seen Cleveland do the opposite.

The Browns didn’t draft Mitchell Trubisky over Myles Garrett after all. They didn’t make a huge move up the board from 12 to get the North Carolina QB/local native either. They actually traded out, then traded up, augmenting the roster with the above freak, Myles Garrett, and two raw/talented prospects on Thursday.

And just when you thought that was it, the Browns made their quarterback news by catching another Ohioan’s fall on Friday. Questions about Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer’s mental makeup and ability to deal with adversity dogged his pre-draft process and made his availability on Day 2 expected. What fewer forecast was that Kizer’s plummet would last more 20 picks.

So the Browns basically punt on this year’s quarterback class, and come away with arguably the most physically gifted guy in the bunch. If Kizer—thought to be a potential top-five pick early in the fall—works out, great. If not, they didn’t exactly blow up the treasure trove of capital they’ve built, which seemed to be the idea as Cleveland adjusted to making a QB its fourth pick, rather than its first or second.

“That’s probably fair,” Browns EVP of football operations Sashi Brown said, driving home around midnight. “There are a couple things there. One, our roster, in our view, demands some attention. So we don’t really have the luxury to bundle a whole bunch of picks to go get a guy, or pass up on the opportunity to acquire a bunch of picks. The second thing, we don’t necessarily want to force it.”
There’s the key.

Just look at what Brown and coach Hue Jackson have done at the quarterback position in two offseasons. They paid Robert Griffin ($7.5 million) and Josh McCown ($4.4 million) last year, and drafted Cody Kessler in the third round. This time around they have Kessler back with waiver-wire addition Kevin Hogan; salary dumpee Brock Osweiler (they got a 2018 second-rounder to carry his $16 million); and now Kizer.

They haven’t swung for the fences yet. Maybe Kizer or even Kessler develops into the future. Maybe not. The important thing, as they see it, is using resources to get the roster to a place where, if they do take that big cut, the environment that quarterback is walking into isn’t the impossible one that McCown, Griffin and Kessler operated under during the 2016 season.

“That’s absolutely right,” Brown said. “In terms of sequencing, you want to make sure that when you have a quarterback, particularly a young quarterback, he’s got the best opportunity to be successful as possible. To put it frankly, we didn’t think we were in that position coming out of 2015. We’re getting closer to that. We’ve got a ways to go.
“So we had the opportunity to add DeShone here. And we still need to do some work on our roster, and to improve the culture of our building. He’ll be a piece of that.”

How big a piece remains to be seen. Based the reporting I’ve done on the kid, it’s clear Kizer has some growing up to do, and it’s easy to see where Jackson’s tough-love style could do him a lot of good in that regard. His recent comments to USA Today, in which he elicited the names of Cam Newton and Tom Brady, didn’t help quell concerns over his maturity, nor did it level off the idea that he’s had a big head.

The flip side is how Brown describes his new rookie—“a big, talented, athletic, bright, competitive and motivated quarterback who’s very young. I think his best football’s ahead of him.”

What becomes of him now is really anyone’s guess. Kizer went 4-8 last year at Notre Dame, and didn’t handle adversity well in the process. All of that explains why now an NFL team is taking a flyer on him rather than selling the farm for him. Kizer will get his shot to compete. The Browns get to keep their options open.

“We do want to be mindful of just not forcing a guy because we don’t have a [long-term] quarterback,” Brown said. “So the notion, if you don’t have a quarterback, you have to take one high, we don’t want to get into that. And this is actually a pretty high pick for one. We just had the luxury to be able to add some other talent along with DeShone, and that’s a nice combination for us.”

It wasn’t the outcome Kizer was looking for. And in an ideal world, the Browns probably would have gotten both Garrett and Trubisky.

Now? Kizer gets a year to establish himself as part of the future, and Brown and Jackson can give him that shot without costing themselves another one next offseason, when Jimmy Garoppolo, Kirk Cousins and an expected bumper crop in the draft are there for everyone.

https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/29/nfl-draft-cleveland-browns-deshone-kizer

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hate the Kiser pick. What was the matter with Webb? At least he likes football, is more accurate, but is pretty much the same guy as Kiser.

I think the Browns just blew another one. They did pick Garrett, but they probably wanted to trade down and take a undrafted FA pass rusher.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swurvemn

Will Fuller.

Some of that, but I think more just all around talent on the team dropped.

Defense was a mess this season. OL lost guys. Had some injuries to his receivers.

...Brian Yelly was the coach...

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Just being away from Brian Kelly might make him better...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

Will Fuller.

Defense was a mess this season. OL lost guys. Had some injuries to his receivers.

I agree with all that you said .

Kizer did hot have as good of a season, but ND jst was not as good of a team, Doesnt change the talent that he has. Put Kizer on the team that D Watson had and Kizer is just as good.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Great pick. I believe the Browns have their Franchise QB. I believe he will be the best QB coming out of this draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ask Diam about Kiser !

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
At the beginning of 2016 I wanted Kizer top of the draft, felt he was the better prospect than Watson by far. His 2016 year didn't help his cause at all, and he fell considerably out of favor. There are several things that can be pointed to: his coach, his (lack of) supporting cast, and his decision making. But, he does have the measurables and the skill set. He's smart and athletic, and can read defenses.

There will be times when we (the fan base) will be banging our heads at his decisions/throws, and other times when we'll get glimpses of greatness. He has good feet and moves well in the pocket. He's one of those guys who can elude a rush with a slight side-step, or take off running, or roll out and hit a guy on the run. When he's on, he can nail tight windows, if he brain-farts he'll throw a pick six. Bottom line, he'll need a strong supporting cast, good coaching, and time to succeed.

Right now, we need to figure out the situation at RT, our running game could use an upgrade, and we need a big #1 receiver to step up. If Gordon were to somehow make it back on the field and return to form, that would be huge, but we can't count on it, so we have to hope Britt comes in with the right attitude. He put up a 1000 yards last year, he'll need that and more this year. Coleman must step it up and become 1st round worthy. Payton, Louis & Higgins all have size and potential, we just haven't seen the production. Njoku will help, Crow and Duke could suffice if Crow continues to develop and play with attitude, and the additions on the interior of the 0-line will also help.

All in all, 2017 could stack up to be a decent beginning to the transition on offense. We undoubtedly (IMHO) won't be as terrible as everyone expects, nor as good as everyone hopes, but we may end up being pleasantly surprised. In a perfect world, Kizer comes in and takes the starting job away from Kessler. But that may not happen, so we'll need to be patient. However, I have no doubt he'll make his way onto the field at some point this year. Under the right set of circumstances, he could be our Dak Prescott. After taking time to absorb the fact that he's now our potential franchise guy, I'm good with the pick. I think we took him at just the right spot in the draft, and I think he really wants to succeed here.

Welcome to Cleveland, DeShone. You have the chance to do what no one has done for over fifty years, bring us a Championship. But hey, no pressure.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

I agree. He definitely has some maturing to do. But he's not in the same class as JFF and it's one aspect that needs to be improved - along with the mechanics/footwork. None of the QB's int he draft were without question marks. . . Kizer has a ton of talent. If he's coachable he could be the guy. I think Hue can work with him and the rest is ultimately up to Kizer himself. Going mid second round may have helped knock his ego down a peg or two and make him realize he ain't all that just yet.

As for those claiming Kizer is going to be a coach killer and Hue's ego is in the way of making smart football decisions .... I disagree 100%. I feel pretty sure that Hue's guy was Mahomes. This isn't like Hue passed on the other QB's taken because he saw Kizer and coveted him ... Kizer simply represented good value at #52.

Based on some of the things Hue achieved with Dalton and then Kessler, I think he is more than capable of mentoring Kizer provided Kizer wants to apply himself. . . We've talked about Kessler's impressive statistics and how they are deceptive and don't reflect his weak arm or reluctance to throw deep BUT have we given Hue the credit for some of that?

I like Kessler a little more than most. I hope he starts the season and gets a chance to overcome his issues of not throwing deep - and hoping his arm is a little stronger this year than last. If Kizer can sit for a while - a wwhole season even - and the Browns win 5+ games. I think it would be a great start for Kizer.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Okay, after taking the night to think about it, I am now okay with the Kizer pick.

I really wanted Obi and that tainted my viewpoint.

Looking back, if you asked me before the draft if I would be happy with Kizer at 52, I would have said yes. There is good value there and he has a chance to become the starter.

We have missed out on some really good FS's in the draft and we desperately need one, but that isn't Kizer's fault. If he doesn't pan out, we aren't out much and if he does pan out, we got a steal.

Legend
Legend

There are many factors to consider about this pick.

The Browns did not reach for Kizer; he fell to the Browns.

He was not their first choice. He was pick 52.

At pick 52 there is not much risk. All quarterbacks choices have some risk. Even pick 2 by the Bears.

The first time I watched a few game tapes my first impression was he should return to school.

At the same time I saw a prototype quarterback. Size, athleticism, arm strength. I also saw a guy who looked uncomfortable and inconsistent at the position.

Something is there with Kizer that teams did not like. He was passed over by a bunch of teams with aging quarterbacks looking to groom a replacement. The Steelers, The Cardinals, The Saints, Chargers. In addition the teams that reached for quarterbacks did not reach for Kizer.

Early on in the draft process Kizer was the top guy for analysts Mayock and Bucky Brooks. As the process went on he dropped. Why?

In a word maturity. Both on the field and as a person. Which affects his ability as a leader.

He was benched. His play was inconsistent. His coach called him out.

During the draft interview process something gave Kizer away. Arrogance? Sense of entitlement? Something.

Was Kizer a bad pick? No. Not at 52.

The Browns tried for Garoppolo. Not their fault if the Patriots would not trade him. Second they tried to move up to get Trubisky but not up to number two. I don't blame them. I would not have traded up from 12 for him. Reid jumped on Mahomes. Most likely the Browns would have taken him at 12. A reach, but maybe worth a gamble based upon his upside.

So they took the players that were highest on their Board. I'm good with that.

At 52 Kizer was there.

Kizer has the potential. It is up to him to reach that potential. If he does not; they move on. I doubt the Browns look at him and say:
"position solved".

Most likely they will be looking next year at Garoppolo, Cousins, and the guys in the draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think I have figured it out. Hue will develop a QB by any means necessary.

Kessler and Kizer are on a plane to Shanghai China right now.

Surgeons in Shanghai will put Kessler's head on Kizer's body to create a new QB called Kizler.

Whatever it takes.

S
Rookie
Rookie
S
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

Will Fuller.

I agree that Notre Dame was a mess led by Kelly, but strictly from a QB evaluation Kizer held the ball a lot longer in 2016, which indicated to me that guys were getting open later. Defense's could afford to be more aggressive when they knew there was no home run threat. With Fuller's speed, secondary's had to play looser knowing that Kizer/Fuller was so dangerous a threat. This opened up intermediate routs, as well as the times when Fuller beat them deep anyway.

Last edited by Swurvemn; 04/29/17 11:21 AM.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Maturity will come. Wish McCown was still here.

McMahon of ESPN talked earlier and said during our 1st workout with Kizer, Hue saw something in his footwork and gave him pointers to work on.

2nd visit was night and day. He perfected the pointers Hue gave him.

That's good news folks. Mechanics is the #1 cause of inconsistent accuracy. He needs reps, reps and more reps. He's already got an excellent arm. Perfect these mechanics and he'll spin it even better.

Hoping he latches on quick cause if he GETS it, he's got perfect size for a QB. Well worth the 52 pick with no trade up to get him.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

hey, didn't mean to ignore this. Been tough to post on a good cadence since third son was born in March.

Actually I think it's pretty good on intermediate throws with the occasional head scratcher(sailing that ball s Mich st and the pass to the right sideline vs Texas) . There were a lot of throwaways in those clips when guys were covered. But there were a lot of dimes too. Nailed some real nice digs. That Texas game end of the third quarter when he put the ball in the end zone between the safeties and over the LB where the safety should have been called for targeting was special. A lot of pretty good throws. I'm optimistic about his chances.

Last edited by clevesteve; 04/29/17 11:38 AM.
Legend
Legend
Here are some good video clips and stories from Toledo, including an interview with Kizer from draft night. One reporter says that Hue was in contact with Kizer throughout the draft.

http://www.13abc.com/content/sports/Browns-take-Central-grad-Kizer-in-second-round--420790653.html

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
I think I have figured it out. Hue will develop a QB by any means necessary.

Kessler and Kizer are on a plane to Shanghai China right now.

Surgeons in Shanghai will put Kessler's head on Kizer's body to create a new QB called Kizler.

Whatever it takes.

No way, last thing kizer's body needs is Kessler's timidity.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Watched the QB camp... I think I like the kid.

But then, that's what the show is designed to do.

Dude's got major upside. If he can mature and grow with the team he might be the guy they want.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Browns pick DeShone Kizer with the 52nd pick

Link Copied to Clipboard