Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL..........the WRs are so bad that I didn't even list them under Weaknesses. It's just a "given" that they suck.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

The Browns defense looks to be way ahead of the offense. Just how long it takes for the Browns offense to gel is a concern...makes me wonder what the Browns offense is doing in practice and the classroom.

The QB situation could be a factor in execution as each play is being divided among 2 qbs. Instead of your starting qb running a play 3 times in a row, teaching via repetition, we have 2 qbs splitting time, running a play maybe a twice...not enough reps to learn a play thoroughly, imo.

Hue's idea of naming a QB by tomorrow which should allow one qb getting most of the reps, should help to improve the offensive consistency and the consistency of the qb play.

Are there any basic plays that the Browns offense can run effectively?...any bread and butter run or pass plays that the Browns offense can execute on a consistent basis?

...as I said, the defense is way ahead of the offense..and the offense needs to pick it up a lot, just to catch up to the defense.

...my guess, the Browns offense goes 4 or 5 games into the regular season before they begin to gel. Winning games early is going to be tough..

The Browns best QB is Kizer and if the Browns do not play him, choosing to protect him, it will slow his development and the development of the entire offense.

Osweiler is worse than I thought he would be and Kessler's improvement in the off-season has been minimal.

The way I see it, Hue has to play the kid, doing his best to protect Kizer on the field. Allow Kizer to develop at his own pace and do not throw too much at him, too soon.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I think Brock starts Week 1 but I don't know how long that will last. He played poorly last night. Inaccurate. A batted ball. I think he only played a couple of series because (1) the dress rehearsal is Saturday and (2) Hue knows Kizer needs more seasoning.

Kizer looks the part at times but holds the ball too long and has a propensity to fall further back from the line of scrimmage after the snap. Even after 7-step drops if felt like he kept going back. That makes throwing the ball very difficult, obviously, and he needs to work on that.

Duke should never be our in-between the tackles RB but I like his ability everywhere else. I'm interested to see Dayes continue to improve. I think the kid has a chip on his shoulder for being drafted so late.

Love the potential of the defense. Fast. Swarming. Relentless. The McCourty strip was a good example of finishing better than the other player. We'll need the defense to provide a ton of turnovers this season. Peppers was great. I like our d-line for the most part, although the Giants running attack isn't anything to write home about, I thought we did alright. Myles Garret may not always make THE play, but he forces teams to account for him. I can't wait to watch him this season.

Schobert played well. Nassib too.

Zeiter needs to to better. Greco didn't look 100%, but I got to give the guy credit, he came back earlier than may thought he would.

This will sound insensitive but did anyone else think OBJ was a bit theatric in his "injury"?

Looking forward to Saturday night!

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

This will sound insensitive but did anyone else think OBJ was a bit theatric in his "injury"? !

a bit, but I just took it as being mad that he took that sort of shot in a preseason game when none of it matters; he also may not have realized that it wasn't a deliberate cheap shot.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

This will sound insensitive but did anyone else think OBJ was a bit theatric in his "injury"? !

a bit, but I just took it as being mad that he took that sort of shot in a preseason game when none of it matters; he also may not have realized that it wasn't a deliberate cheap shot.

I agree, memp...

Beckham knew the cameras were following him toward the locker room and going down to his knees was an effort to get some more face time.

The hit was legal and Beckham can cry all he wants and it will not change that kind of tackle.

A lot of dbs are smaller than the wrs, so taking a wr high is not going to get them on the ground unless a 185# db has help.

I can imagine what Gregg Williams had to say about Calhoun's tackle and Beckham's play acting. That dbs job is to get the wr on the ground, legally..Calhoun did his job!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1301898 08/22/17 09:25 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac

I agree, memp...

Beckham knew the cameras were following him toward the locker room and going down to his knees was an effort to get some more face time.

The hit was legal and Beckham can cry all he wants and it will not change that kind of tackle.

A lot of dbs are smaller than the wrs, so taking a wr high is not going to get them on the ground unless a 185# db has help.

I can imagine what Gregg Williams had to say about Calhoun's tackle and Beckham's play acting. That dbs job is to get the wr on the ground, legally..Calhoun did his job!

Yeah, it's been mandated by the league, when tackling a runner or receiver, don't go high. Avoid the upper torso at all costs. He did.

[Linked Image]

β€œ...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
mac #1301899 08/22/17 09:27 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
so taking a wr high is not going to get them on the ground unless a 185# db has help.

The league also doesn't want DBs hitting guys high because of the head-to-head injury potential.

DBs are in a very tough spot.

Tackles are tackles.
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Favorite play of the game: screen pass to Vitale; think Kizer's touch on screen passes is great and will be a big part of his game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yet had he scored he would have bounced around like it WAS a game with meaning. It's pretty much a game with meaning for guys fighting for jobs. You can't ask one guy to temper his aggression when OBJ would have stuck it in his face had he beat him.

Legend
Legend
Start kizer week one.

β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I thought to myself...what a drama queen, put a skirt on him.

[Linked Image]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i found it interesting that Hue said "No, they're open" when someone asked about WRs not getting receptions. That's all we need to know. He knows all of our QBs are crap.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Our offense is concerning, while our defense is playing good preseason ball.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
i found it interesting that Hue said "No, they're open" when someone asked about WRs not getting receptions. That's all we need to know. He knows all of our QBs are crap.

well coleman was getting open, but where was higgins and them other dudes at?

β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

well coleman was getting open, but where was higgins and them other dudes at?

I really don't know the answer to who is and who isn't open. I do know that Brock was wildly inaccurate 95% of the time and Kizer was wildly inaccurate 50% ... or so it seems

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: ThomasE
Favorite play of the game: screen pass to Vitale; think Kizer's touch on screen passes is great and will be a big part of his game.
Favorite play of the game was Peppers smack on Marshall near the sideline...I think Marshall got hurt on that play...Peppers hits hard

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I don't think OBJ was hurt at all. I think he was mad he took the shot in preseason. It appeared as soon as he knew the cameras were on him he started to act hurt. I doubt he was hurt at all. Diva to the second power.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
Originally Posted By: mac

I agree, memp...

Yeah, it's been mandated by the league, when tackling a runner or receiver, don't go high. Avoid the upper torso at all costs. He did.

Until fans stop appreciating flashy hits and start rewarding safe tacking,this kind of stuff will happen.

This wasn't a tackle,it was a hit. Bad fundamentals on the DB, nothing good about this one ,IMHO

Also very sad to see fans that enjoy plays who can easily end the career of a player.

Last edited by rastanplan; 08/22/17 10:38 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Start kizer week one.

I think it's the right move, but we won't do it because we have the Steelers. If it were anybody else, we'd probably start Kizer.

From what I've seen from Brock, he hasn't changed since last year. He's afraid to go downfield and can't move the ball. Why start him week 1?

[Linked Image]

β€œ...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

Duke should just concentrate on being a slot receiver. I like Dayes better as the RB.

'
coaches should PROTECT Duke by leaving him in the slot - he doesn't belong at RB up the middle. I like him a lot, but let Dayes do that as you said, or Duke will be injured half the year.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:
This wasn't a tackle,it was a hit. Bad fundamentals on the DB, nothing good about this one ,IMHO

If you watch any of the training camp videos, they are being taught to tackle this way. Taking out the guys legs is an effective way to bring a larger guy down.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Our D is looking good although we need our young guys to still develop. Our O is another matter. The QB and WR's positions are unsettled obviously. I think our O-line is good with solid depth if we stay healthy there. I feel we are good at RB and are o.k. at TE with further development of those players. With our QB position not settled our O will take longer to gel and will be a work in progress.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I was worried about FS and MLB (and still am to a degree), but I'm more worried about Haden now than ever before

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
One more thought. With Calhoun and Peppers in the secondary, WRs are going to know that the hit is coming. I love that type of intimidation.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
One more thought. With Calhoun and Peppers in the secondary, WRs are going to know that the hit is coming. I love that type of intimidation.
That is true. I also think Taylor has shown the propensity to hit too

S
Legend
Legend
S
Made it to about the 4th quarter. Couldn't take it. Preseason football is horrible.

Can I first drop a giant LOL on ESPN for having a collective stroke because of a legal hit on Odell Beckham? If that was one of our receivers, I don't think that's a talking point, that even as I type this, is being regurgitated on ESPN.

As far as the actual game...

I'm trying really hard not to get caught up in what I see in the preseason. It's not real football. Coaches are holding back schemes on both sides of the ball. It's not the same.

The one thing I will say, is that Deshone Kizer has handled his reps better than the other two have. He has a lot of learning to do, but you can see the potential in him. I think they really did a nice job of drafting this kid, because he fits the mold of what you want your QB to look like, and what you want him to be able to do. 6"4" and 230+, he's got a pretty big frame on him, and you can see the big difference in arm strength from him to Kessler. I really think a few years under Hue (hopefully we don't fire him) and I think he can develop. A lot of argument about sitting/starting him. I don't think you can put a huge blanket on the issue. Some guys don't need to sit and can come in right away. Some guys require time. I think we can bury the 2-3 year sitting plan that for some reason people think is still a thing. If Kizer needs to sit, a half season to a full season is about all he needs. In today's NFL, the QB needs to be out there, learning. Anything else and you are probably just wasting time. Development on the job is how it goes.

I would not be surprised if Hue names Kizer the starter tomorrow. I think that move also buys him more time. You already know you're losing games with Osweiler, why not lose games while developing a young QB with promise.

Brock Osweiler as we all already knew, isn't a starter in the NFL. Cody Kessler isn't either with his arm strength. You can't survive in the AFCN with his arm. It sucks, because I think he has it upstairs, but he's just so limited.

I really think Duke Johnson is going to be a guy that breaks out this year. He's just too talented, and I think we may have something with him and the Crow.

Myles Garrett looks like a load to deal with. We'll see when it's for real against Pittsburgh, but he is going to draw quite a few double teams. You would think when Shelton is back healthy and it his best, with him and Garrett drawing doubles, that other guys should really take advantage, especially in a Greg Williams style scheme. That's where getting a guy like Peppers, even as a nickel can be valuable because of QB's having to get rid of the ball too early/deflected throws, and all the other chaos that happens when a QB isn't comfortable. You have a legitimate threat for someone to return the ball for a touchdown.

Peppers is talented. I never liked him as a corner, but they will have all kinds of areas where he can be a nightmare.

I'm worried about Joe Haden. I just wonder if he's going to ever be as good as he was his first few seasons. Tall order in week 1 as well.

I can't wait to get this last preseason game over with. I don't count the Chicago game because nobody will be playing in that game, and with Ohio State playing the same night, nobody will be watching either. I really can't stand preseason football.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

I'm worried about Joe Haden. I just wonder if he's going to ever be as good as he was his first few seasons.

Unfortunately no. I and others have been saying this for several years.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
Can I first drop a giant LOL on ESPN for having a collective stroke because of a legal hit on Odell Beckham? If that was one of our receivers, I don't think that's a talking point, that even as I type this, is being regurgitated on ESPN.

OBJ is one of the biggest stars in the league. No one even knows our wide receivers names.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Shouldn't Beckham have gotten a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct when he took his helmet off when on the playing field ?

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
L
Legend
Legend
L
Hmmmmm.....I believe so??

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Shouldn't Beckham have gotten a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct when he took his helmet off when on the playing field ?

Yes...he also through the ball across the field before removing his helmet.

Legend
Legend
BSPN and cover of our game was really biased and lame. The OBJ "meltdown" when they kept going back with breathless coverage and left the game on the field stunk. Anybody else injured get that? How about Browns are 2-0 after 1-15?

GRuden was entertaining. The other guy dredging up last year, number of QB's, losses in division, and all the other snarky biased comments did not cover the game in front of them and reflect a hard-core bias against the franchise. We screwed plenty of pooches admittedly. How about fair treatment today for a change? Proof here that "Critics are legless men who teach running" is true for ESPN especially and with no good reason.

Just win, baby and shut the moronic "insights" and "anal(yses)" of the haters down. Command respect.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
yeah, he should have had two penalties

Legend
Legend
Since ESPN is being brought up - I just want to say that I'm GLAD that we don't have any more Monday Night games, and I hope we never have another.

That was a painfully horrible telecast to watch and they have effectively ruined what used to be a great part of the football week.

I would seriously rather have watched/listened to Spero Dedes and Rich Gannon.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C,
Justin Currie in 22 snaps had
3 tackles, 1 assist (4 combined).
And looked good in coverage, even if his guy made the catch, he did not allow for any YAC.

I hope his ankle won't keep him out too long.

[Linked Image]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
j/c

i also just realized that we'll kinda be on hard knocks next week!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

You bite your tongue!

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Quote:

You bite your tongue!
brownie

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
J/C,
Justin Currie in 22 snaps had
3 tackles, 1 assist (4 combined).
And looked good in coverage, even if his guy made the catch, he did not allow for any YAC.

I hope his ankle won't keep him out too long.
He was waived (with injury designation) today and the number he wore, #36, was assigned to Christian Bryant, newly signed DB.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
S
Legend
Legend
S
Since ESPN is being brought up - I just want to say that I'm GLAD that we don't have any more Monday Night games, and I hope we never have another.

That was a painfully horrible telecast to watch and they have effectively ruined what used to be a great part of the football week.

MNF has been horrible for years. They get shafted with horrible matchups, the commentating crew has been horrible for over a decade, and they constantly shoe-horn in their own network garbage during some of these broadcasts.

I just wish I understood the thought process when these schedulers decide the monday night games. The Sunday night broadcasts get way better matchups, and that's even before the flex options. You see a lot of the big market/crappy teams on Monday nights. The Jets, the Bears, etc.. get national games regardless of how good or bad they have been the last few years.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Giants 6 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard