Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I had no idea it happened until I came here. I never watch the anthem at the beginning of games. Basically it had zero effect on my game watching experience. Meh.

[Linked Image]
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I try to stay away from non-football talk but....my 2 cents

Protest is necessary when people lack the audience to address their concerns. The concerns they seek to call attention to are valid. But because the concerns they seek to address lack an audience protests usually aren't meant with popular support at the time. It takes awhile for the larger group to see and understand the point of the protest.

I support and applaud them just like I did Kaepernick. They just have to tough it out for however long it takes for them to effect change....and its already happening. I have full faith in our nation to recognize and address areas that require social reform.

Last edited by edromeo; 08/22/17 09:47 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I disagree with what they did, but I support their right to do it.

it's that simple bro. at least you get it from that perspective.

β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Originally Posted By: Brownie_Dawg
j/c

It's interesting to see which the flag-waving types think is more important: a symbolic piece of nylon, or actual free speech and protest in the name of justice and human life itself.

Anyway, this thread seems like it belongs in Tailgate.

This.

I'm proud of the guys.

Proud of what? If I owned this team it would be against company policy to make statements out side of the business.

They look like pampered fools.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Don't like the country? GTFO

If DC raised federal taxes by 5% tomorrow, I'd assume many would not like it. Can I then say the same thing to those people?

Support everything in this country or leave.

[Linked Image]

β€œ...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
All this talk about the anthem protest. We have the right in this country to protest so why should it bother people that much that they are losing sleep over it? No different than a musician or an artist protesting. Remember Woodstock? Yea, they used the stage to protest too. The Black Power fist rise at the Olympics? Same thing. Great symbolism and powerful image. They have a stage and what better way to get a message across than to a huge audience? I honestly don't see the big deal nor why people should be so offended.

Plus, I seem to remember people being super upset and angry with Crowell last year when he sent a stupid tweet that was far worse. People wanted him off the team, out of the league and, some even went much further with their assessment and criticism. Yet, all of the above quickly evaporated into hot air once Crow busted out and started running up and down the field like a beast. Clearly, once football starts and, especially IF we begin winning all of the above moral chest beating will vanish into thin air.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
To me the way they turned it into a prayer was significant. I think these things when don solo are more about getting attention, but as I watched it, since espn, found it necessary to replay it a couple times, I took it as more that they were praying for peace in the country, and not for "oppression" as Kaep did.

I don't agree with it, and I feel it does show some disrespect to the country, I find it ironic, since most people want God out of our country completely. I'm surprised some aren't "offended" by them praying on TV.

The trend has been started, and IMO the message will just be watered down the more the media feels they have to let everyone know it is happening. To them it is just some "controversy" they can promote. Something to write about and use to push whatever political agenda they want.

I just find it hard to believe that the players doing this don't realize that most see it as disrespecting the armed forces veterans, even though that is not their goal.

Kaep was different, he came out and spoke of his disrespect for the country openly while wearing a Castro shirt.

It has become old news IMO, and sooner or later nobody will care.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not soon enough. Politics and football should never go together.

[Linked Image]

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I hope nobody in the local media asks the players about it. Then it will stop.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am really disgusted by the ignorance and stupidity I can find on this board. Just a piece of cloth? What do they teach you morons in school today?

That flag stands for everyone who served, fought, bled, and died for the idea of this country. A country where all men are created equal in the eyes of god, nature, or other men, and all can achieve what they can within the society.

I am a son of the Revolution. I am a son of the Confederacy. I am a son of the Union. My ancestors were patriots, torries, rebels, secessionist, immigrants, union soldiers, American soldiers, and just regular American citizens. In the end, they were all Americans.

My ancestors fought in the Revolution, on both sides. They fought in the Civil War, on both sides. They fought in WWII, both in the European and Pacific theaters, and on the home front. I had one grandfather earn 3 Purple Hearts in WWII, while the other housed soldiers awaiting deployment because he was unable to serve. My father was in the Navy during Viet Nam, and my son will be a Marine come next summer. IT IS FOR THEM AND ALL THE OTHERS THAT WE STAND AND SHOW OUR RESPECT.

Our country was never perfect, and it will never be perfect. It is the best thing going on this planet, though. We have corrected the stain of slavery in this country, which was started by the British. We have corrected the stain of women's rights. We have corrected the stain of segregation, which was started by the democrats. We have corrected most of the wrongs in this country to achieve what the original founders intended. We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

If you want to change things in this country, feel free to go out and peaceably change things, but a lack of respect for those who fought to better this country only shows the ignorance, stupidity, and lack of patriotism in the current citizen that protests for the sake of protest.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C,

..."Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.

IE; Seperation of Church and State.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Great post, my man.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
lol, another post basically saying that soldiers fought for your rights so you shouldn't use them.

as a combat vet i fully support and stand behind the players sitting and kneeling for the anthem. keep it going.

β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Don't know why anyone even cares what a bunch of jocks do. It's not like the flag means anything special anymore. They don't even say the pledge of allegiance at most places in the US anymore. This minor kind of protest is just laziness to me. They feel like doing something but they don't want to do anything real so they put on this meaningless show to say they did something when in fact they didn't do anything except try to pat themselves on the backs. I could care less at these stupid theatrics.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
lol, another post basically saying that soldiers fought for your rights so you shouldn't use them.

as a combat vet i fully support and stand behind the players sitting and kneeling for the anthem. keep it going.

No, but I get why you wouldn't understand what I am saying. It's about respect, not protest. You should show respect when it is due, and those that came before us deserve it. One that does not respect anything will never get that.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Originally Posted By: Swish

No, but I get why you wouldn't understand what I am saying. It's about respect, not protest. You should show respect when it is due, and those that came before us deserve it. One that does not respect anything will never get that.

stop. when it comes to these kinds of issues there's never a right way to do it that WON'T [censored] guys like you off.

"hey guys, don't riot, you have to protest peacefully"

*peacefully protest by kneeling for the anthem*

"not like that either".

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
What Herm Edwards says here I think hits closely to the mark.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20416645

Last edited by CanadaDawg; 08/22/17 11:16 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There is a time and a place for everything.

On the job and on the clock is not a time afforded to the average Joe for a time to protest and then try to usurp God as if God has a fight in this game of fools.

[Linked Image]

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm proud of my team.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
There is a time and a place for everything.

On the job and on the clock is not a time afforded to the average Joe for a time to protest and then try to usurp God as if God has a fight in this game of fools.

why not? there is no rule, so obviously there is a time and place for it.

if you don't like it, start a petition to see if the owners can change the rules that way your feelings doesn't get hurt.

if not, you have two options: put up with it, or don't watch.

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I'm proud of my team.

x2. I respect it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm proud of my team.

They have not done anything to be proud of.

They can start with winning.

Must you Alt-left take away everything that gives us a break from all the madness?

[Linked Image]

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I'm proud of my team.

Must you Alt-left take away everything that gives us a break from all the madness?

How is respecting someone's actions "alt-left"?

Legend
Legend
I'm proud of my team.

sure, the moment the alt-right decide to fix what the players are protesting over.

don't like it, don't watch.

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
I think this was more of a prayer circle then a protest. but we will see what happens next game. that will tell for sure.
I do not like the protest kap and others are doing. shows disrespect.
I have come across this letter and thought i would share
Quote:
Commissioner,

I’ve been a season pass holder at Yankee Stadium, Yale Bowl and Giants Stadium.

I missed the ’90-’91 season because I was with a battalion of Marines in Desert Storm. 14 of my wonderful Marines returned home with the American Flag draped across their lifeless bodies. My last conversation with one of them, Sgt Garrett Mongrella, was about how our Giants were going to the Super Bowl. He never got to see it.

Many friends, Marines, and Special Forces Soldiers who worked with or for me through the years returned home with the American Flag draped over their coffins.

Now I watch multi-millionaire athletes who never did anything in their lives but play a game, disrespect what brave Americans fought and died for. They are essentially spitting in the faces and on the graves of real men, men who have actually done something for this country beside playing with a ball and believing they’re something special! They’re not! My Marines and Soldiers were!

You are complicit in this!

You’ll fine players for large and small infractions but you lack the moral courage and respect for our nation and the fallen to put an immediate stop to this. Yes, I know, it’s their 1st Amendment right to behave in such a despicable manner. What would happen if they came out and disrespected you or the refs publicly?

I observed a player getting a personal foul for twerking in the end zone after scoring. I guess that’s much worse than disrespecting the flag and our National Anthem. Hmmmmm, isn’t it his 1st Amendment right to express himself like an idiot in the end zone?

Why is taunting not allowed yet taunting America is OK? You fine players for wearing 9-11 commemorative shoes yet you allow scum on the sidelines to sit, kneel or pump their pathetic fist in the air. They are so deprived with their multi-million dollar contracts for playing a freaking game! You condone it all by your refusal to act. You’re just as bad and disgusting as they are. I hope Americans boycott any sponsor who supports that rabble you call the NFL. I hope they turn off the TV when any team that allowed this disrespect to occur, without consequence, on the sidelines. I applaud those who have not.

Legends and heroes do NOT wear shoulder pads. They wear body armor and carry rifles.

They make minimum wage and spend months and years away from their families. They don’t do it for an hour on Sunday. They do it 24/7 often with lead, not footballs, coming in their direction. They watch their brothers carted off in pieces not on a gurney to get their knee iced. They don’t even have ice! Many don’t have legs or arms.

Some wear blue and risk their lives daily on the streets of America. They wear fire helmets and go upstairs into the fire rather than down to safety. On 9-11, hundreds vanished. They are the heroes.

I hope that your high paid protesting pretty boys and you look in that mirror when you shave tomorrow and see what you really are, legends in your own minds. You need to hit the road and take those worms with you!

Time to change the channel.

Col Jeffrey A Powers USMC (Ret)

Vista, California

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Semper-fi

[Linked Image]

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Powerful letter that shines a light on the other side and shows some of the hypocrisy of the NFL. Thanks for sharing that rabid.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Posters are protesting that other posters are protesting against the player's protest.

Perfectly predictable.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
You're right. The team needs to win for me to be proud of them on the football field. However, as individuals and as a group, I'm proud of them. Those were young players taking a big stand. That takes some cajones whether or not you like it. Now I'd love for them to break 500, but I am proud of the actions. Because I'm sick of hating on the Browns for the stupid off the field decisions they make. Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel were slow motion trainwrecks that just went on for years. It made me nauseated to see it -- I'm even nauseated thinking about it now. So yeah, again, going to be proud of these players for taking a stand about some of the racial violence in the United States. They play in a city where Tamir Rice was shot in. It's hard for them to ignore it. It's hard for the Cavs players to ignore as well. I'm glad they're sticking up for their beliefs. Now if they get cut, I won't complain. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of venue. Completely different things, which many don't get because most successful protests in the world violate that freedom of venue idea. The least successful, do not violate that.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Just because they are multimillionaires doesnt mean that they were never racially profiled. Just think about that next time you say they should stop whining
I couldnt be prouder of these guys. Hope it doesnt fall on deaf and dumb ears.

Last edited by Thebigbaddawg; 08/22/17 11:53 AM.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CanadaDawg
I'm proud of my team.

How is respecting someone's actions "alt-left"?

Nothing happens in a vacuum. You dont see the right disrespectful of their national anthem, because we are patriots.

[Linked Image]

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
And...like I said, as soon as any of these 12 guys do something great everybody will be pro-Browns and totally forget this wasted argument. It will all have been for nothing and a vacuous, hollow rant.

That's ok...when some good solid play happens Swish, CHS and I will remind you that some of you called for Collins, Peppers, Kirksey, Duke, Crowell, DeValve, Taylor, Kizer, Coley etc. to be cut for simply exercising their rights and for "offending you".

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Rabid Dawgs
I think this was more of a prayer circle then a protest. but we will see what happens next game. that will tell for sure.
I do not like the protest kap and others are doing. shows disrespect.
I have come across this letter and thought i would share
Quote:
Commissioner,

I’ve been a season pass holder at Yankee Stadium, Yale Bowl and Giants Stadium.

I missed the ’90-’91 season because I was with a battalion of Marines in Desert Storm. 14 of my wonderful Marines returned home with the American Flag draped across their lifeless bodies. My last conversation with one of them, Sgt Garrett Mongrella, was about how our Giants were going to the Super Bowl. He never got to see it.

Many friends, Marines, and Special Forces Soldiers who worked with or for me through the years returned home with the American Flag draped over their coffins.

Now I watch multi-millionaire athletes who never did anything in their lives but play a game, disrespect what brave Americans fought and died for. They are essentially spitting in the faces and on the graves of real men, men who have actually done something for this country beside playing with a ball and believing they’re something special! They’re not! My Marines and Soldiers were!

You are complicit in this!

You’ll fine players for large and small infractions but you lack the moral courage and respect for our nation and the fallen to put an immediate stop to this. Yes, I know, it’s their 1st Amendment right to behave in such a despicable manner. What would happen if they came out and disrespected you or the refs publicly?

I observed a player getting a personal foul for twerking in the end zone after scoring. I guess that’s much worse than disrespecting the flag and our National Anthem. Hmmmmm, isn’t it his 1st Amendment right to express himself like an idiot in the end zone?

Why is taunting not allowed yet taunting America is OK? You fine players for wearing 9-11 commemorative shoes yet you allow scum on the sidelines to sit, kneel or pump their pathetic fist in the air. They are so deprived with their multi-million dollar contracts for playing a freaking game! You condone it all by your refusal to act. You’re just as bad and disgusting as they are. I hope Americans boycott any sponsor who supports that rabble you call the NFL. I hope they turn off the TV when any team that allowed this disrespect to occur, without consequence, on the sidelines. I applaud those who have not.

Legends and heroes do NOT wear shoulder pads. They wear body armor and carry rifles.

They make minimum wage and spend months and years away from their families. They don’t do it for an hour on Sunday. They do it 24/7 often with lead, not footballs, coming in their direction. They watch their brothers carted off in pieces not on a gurney to get their knee iced. They don’t even have ice! Many don’t have legs or arms.

Some wear blue and risk their lives daily on the streets of America. They wear fire helmets and go upstairs into the fire rather than down to safety. On 9-11, hundreds vanished. They are the heroes.

I hope that your high paid protesting pretty boys and you look in that mirror when you shave tomorrow and see what you really are, legends in your own minds. You need to hit the road and take those worms with you!

Time to change the channel.

Col Jeffrey A Powers USMC (Ret)

Vista, California

Exactly....this is the league that needs to make this change. Until theres a deterrent, these little babies will think its ok.. Like he said, yes, you can be stupid and express your rights, but that alone doesn't absolve you from consequences. Time and a place, and at a stadium, where thousands of people with real jobs and much more going on than these "oppressed" players, are wanting to spend some time with family, enjoy themselves, and forget about their real lives for 4 hours. But instead they have to deal with all this petty horsehit from people who bite the very hand that feeds them.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm with you GM. I, personally wouldn't do that during the National Anthem.

Some may disagree, but I just feel like the better way to do this is with kneeling and/or prayer. I feel like it shows a little more respect than sitting on a bench like a lump of crap.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Personally, I won't. I'd just like to focus on them on the field. I'm all for them winning and getting into discussions about the on the field product. The Browns are losers. I don't care what anyone besides Joe Thomas does off the field/in the offseason. Today's overexposed world of social media makes it easier than ever to follow what players do in their life. However, I won't be caught dead caring what a Browns player does. But I'll watch snapchat and instagram videos of LBJ and JR all day. Because they are winners and they're constantly putting in work.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
And...like I said, as soon as any of these 12 guys do something great everybody will be pro-Browns and totally forget this wasted argument. It will all have been for nothing and a vacuous, hollow rant.

That's ok...when some good solid play happens Swish, CHS and I will remind you that some of you called for Collins, Peppers, Kirksey, Duke, Crowell, DeValve, Taylor, Kizer, Coley etc. to be cut for simply exercising their rights and for "offending you".

But what will you say if we get blown out 35-3 by the Steelers opening day and go 1-15 and it's same old browns again? That we are no longer just a joke on the field but off as well?

Legend
Legend
Hated it. If you need to explain it at length, what it means and all, it is wasted on most people. Especially those who hated it right off the bat.

I stand with Hue. I do not support this process, but there is a right that I will respect to do it.
Impossible for me to spin an un-American sentiment like this. So I stand and will for the colors and the song I love.

Wonder if these actions would all be exactly the same if there were no cameras and no national game and such. Find a better way than this for young role models.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's perfectly okay in your world view to offend Patriots and Christians, but God forbid we offend the Muslims, LGBT, or Illegals.

You people are so predictable and so bias to your anarchist agenda.

If it offends one, then it offends us all.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 08/22/17 12:29 PM.

[Linked Image]

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Knight

But what will you say if we get blown out 35-3 by the Steelers opening day and go 1-15 and it's same old browns again? That we are no longer just a joke on the field but off as well?

I'll be bummed out that we suck, again when my expectations are to show improvement on the field. But, that's the difference...I am NOT bummed out in the slightest, nor offended by their off the field protest. It is their right to do so and it doesn't impact nor impede any performance on the field, whatsoever. If they lose 3-35 on Sept 10 and go 1-15 again that is down to lousy play and coaching and has absolute zilch to do with any protest or prayer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Hated it. If you need to explain it at length, what it means and all, it is wasted on most people. Especially those who hated it right off the bat.

I stand with Hue. I do not support this process, but there is a right that I will respect to do it.
Impossible for me to spin an un-American sentiment like this. So I stand and will for the colors and the song I love.

Wonder if these actions would all be exactly the same if there were no cameras and no national game and such. Find a better way than this for young role models.

I don't put this on Hue Jackson. This is a problem for The Haslams to address, not unlike Jerry Jones did in Dallas.

Their Job is to play football not to make political statements and use religion as their chrutch.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Giants 6 Browns players kneel during National Anthem

Link Copied to Clipboard