Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

After reading and listening to people sharing their views on John Dorsey, there isn't even an average take on him. Everyone absolutely loves him and what he has done in the NFL.

That's very promising.

I asked that question earlier in the thread ... i dont see ALL THE TALENT he brought in ...

I’m THRILLED Sashi’s gone after the NIGHTMARE at the FACTORY of SADNESS and i am very happy about the Dorsey hire ... i just don’t see what he did at KC that was all that great ... its like Hue being praised as some type of QB WHISPERER when he arrived here ... thats wasn’t there either ...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
j/c

I may be alone in this thought, but could this have been the plan all along? In 2016 Haslam didn't hire a GM, but he installed Sashi to strip down the team, and build a war-chest of picks and cap space. He did all the dirty work. This gives us the chance to attract the best available GM. I believe Sashi was the mastermind of this rebuild, and bringing in a real GM after year 2 might have been the plan all along. That the Chiefs fired Dorsey just played into the plan.

Now, this is all speculation, I could be completely off-base. But it kinda makes sense, and fits the non-traditional approach this has been from the beginning.

That explanation is as reasonable as any in the bizarro Browns world we follow. Could be? Maybe not? Who knows?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
j/c

I may be alone in this thought, but could this have been the plan all along? In 2016 Haslam didn't hire a GM, but he installed Sashi to strip down the team, and build a war-chest of picks and cap space. He did all the dirty work. This gives us the chance to attract the best available GM. I believe Sashi was the mastermind of this rebuild, and bringing in a real GM after year 2 might have been the plan all along. That the Chiefs fired Dorsey just played into the plan.

Now, this is all speculation, I could be completely off-base. But it kinda makes sense, and fits the non-traditional approach this has been from the beginning.

I think you give Haslam WAYYYYY more potential credit for being far sighted than I ever could. So in answer to your question - absolutely not. I do not think Haslam can see or plan that far. jmo

I think the thief BACKED INTO THIS ...

I think they started to talk to Dorsey to ADD him in a convential GM role ... u know, to make up for the MORONIC ASPECT of the last plan ...

hey, lets bring in a lawyer to have final say over personal decisions .. BRILLIANT ... i could see him on the phone right after he made that decision calling his doctor to make an appt to get his taxes done ... rofl ..

Then after the NIGHTMARE at the FACTORY of SADNESS we switched gears ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Sashi's sins go far beyond "not just getting a qb."

--I don't think he did a good job of handling our free agents. I thought he played hardball way too much.

--The rumors of teams not wanting to trade w/him were disturbing.

--Passing on certain players and then choosing guys like C. Coleman and Peppers hurt this roster.

--But, more than the QB thing and all the others, thinking that a "football" team where you only play one game a week can survive monumental losing was a colossal error in judgement. I said from the beginning that the blame game would rear it's ugly head. And it certainly did. I said from the beginning that losing so many games would create a toxic enviornment. It did. In baseball and basketball, you typically have a game the next day or the day after that. In the NFL, you play only once a week. Losing so many games was never a good idea.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: BustkeviousMingo
That was a fast!!!

More than fast! So much for an extensive search...

Uhmmm, the search has been taking place for some time.

Great move by the Browns!!!!

We knew something was up when we were talking to Singletary

I wonder if that was the Rooney rule...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Quote:

The Browns made roughly 20 trades in two years. Stop.

A perfect example of wrongly said things in the media to make Sashi look bad. A PERFECT example.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
That was a fast!!!

Uhmmm, the search has been taking place for some time.

Great move by the Browns!!!!

We knew something was up when we were talking to Singletary

I wonder if that was the Rooney rule...

I can't remember where I read it but I saw something that indicated they had also talked to Hue about the position. If this is true, it suggests he turned it down because he saw it as too much work for one man. He said as much in an interview yesterday but I didn't tie it to the job interview process at the time. Again if it's true, that would also help satisfy the rule taking it beyond one interview just to satisfy the rule. Seems someone out there is trying to stir up controversy over this, but I don't think there's an issue here. Whatever the case, they couldn't possibly be stupid enough to not comply fully with the rule.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I asked that question earlier in the thread ... i dont see ALL THE TALENT he brought in ...

I think that short phrase needs an additional word to it.

ALL the "YOUNG" TALENT he brought in.

Yes rookies do well all over the NFL but they usually are small puzzle pieces adding in to an already established team.

But when sooo many with little or NO NFL experience is utilized as last year we had what was it 19 rookies on our 53 roster...that is UNHEARD OF IN THE NFL!

There just was an environment here making winning a very difficult to almost impossible task.

Talent yes, but young talent just learning.

Ogbah, Garrett, Corey, Schobert, Kirksey and Shelton one year more as if they were the seasoned Vets...and the list goes on and on. We got talent but the key is YOUNG TALENT for sure.

And it would have been received with much more fan fare if we won more games...back to the circle of truth if only we had a viable QB.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Have not read to many posts but I saw yours .. At the risk of being a Debbie Downer , the structure is a serious problem with Haslam involved at the top ! He can't succeed for getting out of his own way!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
--I don't think he did a good job of handling our free agents. I thought he played hardball way too much.

Like how he played hardball with Kirksey, Collins, Bitonio and gave Joe Thomas a non-requested bonus? rolleyes

Why can't you simply state that you disagreed with some FA moves? Why do you have to try and twist what happened into some agenda-based scheme?

The guys he supposedly played hardball with were given better offers than they ended up taking elsewhere. He was willing to overpay those guys...and you call that hardball. There were other guys that he believed were simply not worth the $$$ they wanted. That's not hardball... that's decision-making. If you want to question that, fine. But you agenda-twist these things into somethijng they are not...again.

Legend
Legend
I hope this guy is GREAT, but before everybody treats him like a Savior over his good draft picks just remember he also drafted Knile Davis 3rd rd Nico Johnson 4th round, Sanders Commings 5th rd, Eric Kush 6th rd, Braden Wilson 6th rd, Mike Catapano 7th rd all in 2013.

Phillip Gaines 2nd rd
De'Anthony Thomas 4th rd
Aaron Murray 5th rd

Chris Conley 3rd rd
Steven Nelson 3rd rd
Ramik Wilson 4th rd
D.J. Alexander 5th rd
James O'Shaughnessy 5th rd
Rakeem Nunez-Roches 6th rd

You can look at his 2016 and 2017 drafts here
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/draft.htm

Just like every GM he has missed on a lot of his picks, and he will miss on some of his picks here as well.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend

#Browns will introduce new GM John Dorsey at 11 am

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/939134369033310208

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
I hope before next offseason they Bring in an experience team president that all the football guys report to instead of Haslam.. Other than that, excellent hire. Dilly Dilly

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
... he will miss on some of his picks here as well.

Yes he will. Just like every other GM, including Sashi. I read that JD will have control over the roster...how will this be any different than Sashi? (And yes, I know the experience factor).

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Shashi relied on the people in the organization for their info he went with the consensus. I believe Dorsey will be more of a guy who listens to his people but then makes his own decision. If he disagree's with those under him he will still go with HIS choice. I don't know that for a fact about Dorsey, it's just my opinion right now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Shashi relied on the people in the organization for their info he went with the consensus. I believe Dorsey will be more of a guy who listens to his people but then makes his own decision. If he disagree's with those under him he will still go with HIS choice. I don't know that for a fact about Dorsey, it's just my opinion right now.

From what I understand he lives in a dark room watching tape. You're probably right, I'm sure he relies very heavily on his own judgement.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That was a fast!!!

How do you know how long they've been looking? Perhaps they decided to make a change in October and started their search then.. That would make it fairly extensive right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It'll be interesting to hear straight from the GMs mouth that Hue is indeed in the plans moving forward. It's a little hard to believe that he'd take the job and not have the power to replace
the HC if or when necessary. I'll bet there's an agreed on timeframe to win or jettison Hue.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He does have the power to replace Hue. This is from another thread. It comes from Adam Scheftter

Quote:
Head coach Hue Jackson will remain on the job and the expectation is that he will return for the 2018 season, though whoever Cleveland hires as its new general manager also will have a say.

I imagine that Dorsey has already said he is good w/Hue returning next week and that is why the Browns said the latter would be back next year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
That was a fast!!!

How do you know how long they've been looking? Perhaps they decided to make a change in October and started their search then.. That would make it fairly extensive right?

I would expect that you read about the number of candidates contacted/interviewed...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

DUDE!

I'm not trying to battle here, but serious question... how do you chastize other posters for making stuff up and then post something like this... I mean come on, you have to know you erred here. Just admit it.

On top of that, in a post about Rosen being hard to coach and questions about his work ethic with actual quotes from respected high up NFL GMs and talent evaluators, you claim that to be false and criticize posters for falling for such RUMORS!

Totally not cool, dude.

Legend
Legend
Finally a return to traditional scouting. I won't miss the analytic BS moves this FO made the last couple of years including the jettisoning of veteran talent. Money ball just doesn't mix well with the NFL. Just to many physical scenarios and injuries get in the way of that philosophy.

I'm betting, hoping, and praying we don't trade a single pick this year unless it's an absolute no brainier. Go for a QB with our first pick and then go BPA for the rest! I'm hoping we pick up that franchise QB and a stud olineman this draft for replacing JT when he retires.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm not making it up. I said there were "rumors." Heck, they were posted on this very board. I think they are in the Garappolo thread. Go check it out before calling me a liar.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

DUDE!

I'm not trying to battle here, but serious question... how do you chastize other posters for making stuff up and then post something like this...

Totally not cool, dude.

I can't name a talented top tier NFL player that Sashi has acquired or traded for?

– Jackie Robinson
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

DUDE!

I'm not trying to battle here, but serious question... how do you chastize other posters for making stuff up and then post something like this...

Totally not cool, dude.

I can't name a talented top tier NFL player that Sashi has acquired or traded for?

Took me one second to come up with Collins...probably more

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Jamie Collins Sr. is the only one we traded for.

Legend
Legend
LOL Tab... Ok On offense?

– Jackie Robinson
E
Legend
Legend
E

Not thinking that hard about it but Tretter and Zietler come to mind.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
I’ll help tabber ...

Zietler was aquired ... NO? ...

Tretter was aquired? ... NO?

Some folks can’t see the forest through the trees ... and these same folks are praising Dorsey for ALL the TALENT he aquired on an established team he took over and is a 500 team today ...

And i am THRILLED with yesterdays development ... sometimes the crap just gets way to deep for me ...

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
When can/will Dorsey take his seat and actually start making decisions in the FO? Are there any restrictions that don’t allow him to take charge until after the season or can he jump right at the end of it?

I’ve googled and I didn’t come up with anything legit.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Guess u didn’t need my help ... thumbsup

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I hope this guy is GREAT, but before everybody treats him like a Savior over his good draft picks just remember he also drafted Knile Davis 3rd rd Nico Johnson 4th round, Sanders Commings 5th rd, Eric Kush 6th rd, Braden Wilson 6th rd, Mike Catapano 7th rd all in 2013.

Phillip Gaines 2nd rd
De'Anthony Thomas 4th rd
Aaron Murray 5th rd

Chris Conley 3rd rd
Steven Nelson 3rd rd
Ramik Wilson 4th rd
D.J. Alexander 5th rd
James O'Shaughnessy 5th rd
Rakeem Nunez-Roches 6th rd

You can look at his 2016 and 2017 drafts here
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/draft.htm

Just like every GM he has missed on a lot of his picks, and he will miss on some of his picks here as well.
Judging scouts/evaluators is inexact. People have unrealistic expectations and arbitrary standards. They'll have it in the positive for Dorsey because he's a 'football guy' and negative for Sashi because he wasn't.

Sashi's drafts:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GarrMy00.htm

Browns 2017
1st Round (#1): DE Myles Garrett
1st Round (#25): S Jabrill Peppers
1st Round (#29): TE David Njoku
2nd Round (#52): QB DeShone Kizer
3rd Round (#65): DT Larry Ogunjobi
4th Round (#126): CB Howard Wilson
5th Round (#160): OT Roderick Johnson
6th Round (#185): DT Caleb Brantley
7th Round (#224): K Zane Gonzalez
7th Round (#252): RB Matthew Dayes

Chiefs:
1 (10) QB Patrick Mahomes
2 (59) DE Tanoh Kpassagnon
3 (86) RB Kareem Hunt
4 (139) WR Jehu Chesson
5 (183) ILB Ukeme Eligwe
6 (218) S Leon McQuay III

Browns 2016
1st Round (#15): WR Corey Coleman
2nd Round (#32): DE Emmanuel Ogbah
3rd Round (#65): DE Carl Nassib
3rd Round (#76): OT Shon Coleman
3rd Round (#93): QB Cody Kessler
4th Round (#99): LB Joe Schobert
4th Round (#114): WR Ricardo Louis
4th Round (#129): S Derrick Kindred
4th Round (#138): TE Seth DeValve
5th Round (#154): WR Jordan Payton
5th Round (#168): OT Spencer Drango
5th Round (#172): WR Rashard Higgins
5th Round (#173): CB Trey Caldwell
7th Round (#250): ILB Scooby Wright III

Chiefs
Chris Jones
DT
Mississippi State
KeiVarae Russell
CB
Notre Dame
Parker Ehinger
G
Cincinnati
Eric Murray
CB
Minnesota
Demarcus Robinson
WR
Florida
Kevin Hogan
QB
Stanford
Tyreek Hill
WR
West Alabama
D.J. White
CB
Georgia Tech
Dadi Nicolas

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab

Not thinking that hard about it but Tretter and Zietler come to mind.

And Njoku is going to be a beast. Mark it down.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm not making it up. I said there were "rumors." Heck, they were posted on this very board. I think they are in the Garappolo thread. Go check it out before calling me a liar.

Of course this would be your response.

I didn't call you a liar.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
I need some crow medium rare heavy on the hot sauce with a samuel adams to drink.

Now that I admitted that I was wrong congratulations Jimmy and Dee haslam

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Mahomes,Kareem Hunt, Chris Jones, Tyrek Hill

Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Corey Coleman, Ogbah, Shon Coleman,Schobert, Kindred, DeValve

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
The Browns have taken a step in the right direction finally. Gives me hope. As for who our QBs will be next year, Kiser will be one of them but I feel better about Dorsey making the decision on the others than Sashi.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Legend
Legend

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Mahomes,Kareem Hunt, Chris Jones, Tyrek Hill

Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Kizer, Corey Coleman, Ogbah, Shon Coleman,Schobert, Kindred, DeValve

This is not a fair evaluation because you don't follow the Chiefs the way you follow the browns. The Chiefs players you mentioned are household names. Not all of the Browns players you listed are. You know them and think they are good players because you watch them every week.

You would need to talk to a Chiefs fan to learn of under the radar players they love.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
Legend
Listening to the first question asked to haslam and Dorsey, anybody who thought there was still a chance that Hue gets fired after the season should go ahead and move on.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns have hired John Dorsey to become Cleveland's general manager

Link Copied to Clipboard