Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
He tried to run from the cops, to me that’s a little bigger then just getting drunk. Some people are gonna give him a pass on it and that’s fine, I’m just not one of them.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll be real clear.............I believe the comparisons to Manziel are unfair.

I believe that because Manziel had a ton of more talent than Mayfield has. They are similar players, but Manziel could play ball. Dude was awesome. His personal life got in the way of greatness.

But make no mistake, Mayfield isn't a pimple on Manziel's ass in regards to talent.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I believe that because Manziel had a ton of more talent than Mayfield has. They are similar players, but Manziel could play ball. Dude was awesome. His personal life got in the way of greatness.

But make no mistake, Mayfield isn't a pimple on Manziel's ass in regards to talent.

Other way around. Mayfield is far more talented than Johnny. I loved Johnny but Mayfield does just about everything better than Johnny. Stronger arm, more accurate, reads defenses, much better leader. Johnny was only good at escaping. Johnny was a backyard quarterback, Mayfield is more structured. Johnny can't hold a candle to Mayfield.

V
Legend
Legend
V
yeah, okay.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good rebuttal.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: dean_fairchild
He tried to run from the cops, to me that’s a little bigger then just getting drunk. Some people are gonna give him a pass on it and that’s fine, I’m just not one of them.

My problem is that he couldn't escape the cops. I get that he was in a drunken stupor, but those cops looked like they spent more time at Dunkin than at Station.

CHSDawg #1386700 01/06/18 10:29 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

My problem is that he couldn't escape the cops. I get that he was in a drunken stupor, but those cops looked like they spent more time at Dunkin than at Station.

If you get he was in a drunken stupor then you know his motor skills were completely shot and he probably thought he was running like speedy gonzalez instead of elmer fudd.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #1386702 01/06/18 10:32 AM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

If you get he was in a drunken stupor then you know his motor skills were completely shot and he probably thought he was running like speedy gonzalez instead of elmer fudd.

Drunken kids turn into Reggie Bush every weekend in the college towns across the nation. I've seen dudes the size of William Perry take off like a Gazelle.

CHSDawg #1386708 01/06/18 10:37 AM
Legend
Legend
So you can't pass a field sobriety test walking a straight line but you can run as fast a Reggie Bush? Is that into a light pole?

Okay the picture in my mind of William Perry as a gazelle is really funny! laugh

Edit: I was never interested enough before to even watch the arrest video. So I just did. Baker only got 3 steps, hardly enough time to build up any speed, when glazed donuts took him down because he had the angle on him.

A really stupid decision but a drunk 21 year old making a stupid decision isn't that shocking.

Last edited by Tulsa; 01/06/18 11:02 AM.

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Ok. EO:
"He's better than Rosen that I do know."
===============================================
Just curious.

You threw that out there. What makes you say that?

Make your case why.

The Oklahoma game vs Georgia,
Oklahoma's D was giving up 16 yd runs multiple runs in that range in the first quarter, and mostly didn't stop the run all day.
If Mayfield's not there that games not even close.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Ok. EO:
"He's better than Rosen that I do know."
===============================================
Just curious.

You threw that out there. What makes you say that?

Make your case why.

Tried to look for that in this thread and didn't find it. Is it from another thread. I know I said something like that to bust Vers' chops somewhere cause he is so into Rosen...lol laugh

But I do think Mayfield is more accurate. I know Vers criticized him...in a exaggerated fashion but I will say this. If his techniques are so bad how has he been the most accurate QB in college the last 2 seasons and he doesn't dink and dunk?
If he is that good in accuracy what happens after a teams fixes and improves his technique...the kid reminds me of Rodgers who can throw from any position going anywhere and be accurate and have some zip on it too.

Also I can't believe in searching for a post that I made like on page 5 edromero posted a play where Mayfield throws a pass right on the hands of the WR and he criticizes it saying a stronger armed QB would have thrown it more down field...ya mean like Kizer does way over the WRs head crazy as for the arm part...he freaking did what he did with a jump pass 20 yards on the money!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
EO... you like Mayfield and that’s fine, and I’m not defendind what anyone has said to you about him, I personally don’t like him all that much, just MO on him.

His arm is adequate, don’t know if I’d say he has a big arm but it’s goid enough. The offense he plays in is very QB friendly and he’s got some weapons there that will play on sundays. I don’t like that offense he comes from, those guys do struggle for the most part when they get to the nfl. The biggest thing for me is the arrest and how he acts on the field, he just tends to be very arrogant to me. And I’m not just talking about the Kansas game. Just not sure I’d want that type of kid to be the leader of our team.

I know it sounds like I’m attacking the kid but I’m not trying to, it’s just my take on him. But I’m very critical of all the QBs. Every year. The last QB I ever really liked and didn’t have a lot of questions on was Wentz. You may very well be right on him. I won’t tell you your wrong. You have your take I have mine. I just hope whomever we draft turns into something.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Other way around. Mayfield is far more talented than Johnny. I loved Johnny but Mayfield does just about everything better than Johnny. Stronger arm, more accurate, reads defenses, much better leader. Johnny was only good at escaping. Johnny was a backyard quarterback, Mayfield is more structured. Johnny can't hold a candle to Mayfield.

Reads defenses? Calm down.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Oklahoma run that offense where they check with the sideline before taking the snap? You know when you see the QB look to the coach?

BpG #1387242 01/06/18 11:10 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Yes. Mayfield can read defense. Shocking, I know.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Fake news.

BpG #1387246 01/06/18 11:27 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: BpG
Quote:

Fake news.

And you can prove this how?

eotab #1387259 01/06/18 11:55 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Spread offense stats can be very misleading.

I do think Mayfield is accurate but not more than Rosen.

The difference I see has as much to do with the offense run as the players.

Rosen is one of the best pure passers I have seen.
In addition he played in a NFL type offense which gives him a huge head start.

There are things that I believe Mayfield does well. He has good instincts and touch.

But he does not have the consistent footwork that sets Rosen up and aids in his accuracy.

I do not think any GM would take Mayfield over Rosen.
Just from a pure talent basis, and physical tools alone.

I can't sit across from any of these prospects and look them in the eye. So all the character and leadership stuff I have no comment on.

eotab #1387330 01/07/18 08:54 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
But I do think Mayfield is more accurate. I know Vers criticized him...in a exaggerated fashion but I will say this. If his techniques are so bad how has he been the most accurate QB in college the last 2 seasons and he doesn't dink and dunk?

I feel I need to clarify my position after reading this.

I was talking about Mayfield not taking standard 3, 5, and 7-step drops. He hasn't been asked to do that.

I was also talking about him drifting much too deep when there isn't that much pressure there.

I was talking about him throwing off balance at times and compared some of his throws to a baseball throw. Watch some videos [and yes, they can be highlight videos] and see how he has a propensity to end up w/his back foot in front of his lead foot at the conclusion of his delivery.

I was talking about him mostly throwing into wide-open windows.

I was talking about him not standing in the pocket long enough at times.

These things will all have to addressed when he goes to the NFL. He will be a project that is going to need time to develop. I think he would be a risky pick in the first round, especially given his character concerns.

I have never knocked his arm strength or accuracy in throwing to open receivers. I think he does some good things w/his feet, such as pivoting both at the same point to stay balanced. Pretty good triangle. I also have no problem w/his upper body mechanics, although I didn't study those because I was so busy watching his feet.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I agree with both U guys ... *L* ...

Your 100% right .... he has flaws with his feet .... he has no timing or rhythm in his throws as far as X number of steps and get rid of it .... he has no clue what a 3-5 or 7 step drop is everything he does is hodge podge .... he moves out of the pocket way to quick way more than he should ... hes also very hard to evaluate with the wide open windows he throws to and the number of “gimmicky” throws he makes .... he also throws off his back foot and fading back way to much ....

He has his warts ...

As u admitted and tabber has said all along there’s no denying he’s very very accurate ... and as bone has pointed out many times he can only run the offense he’s asked too .... its not his fault hes in a BS offense to evaluate NFL QB’s in .. *L* ...

He does run it very very well ... and he is very accurate .... DESPITE all his “timing issues” in his drop steps and release times he is in SYNC WITH HIS RECIEVERS .... and thats the timing that counts ... despite the fact he throws off his back foot and fading back he gets the ball to where its suppose to be going and he gets it there accurately ....

I agree with both U and tabber in that no way do we draft him at #1 ... NO WAY ...

And given what I’ve seen of Rosen (still haven’t watched Darnold yet) there’s no way I’d pass on Rosen at #1 to take Mayfield at #4 with the unknowns about Mayfield (through no fault of his own ...) and his height ....

He’d be OUT OF THE PICTURE for me ....

E
Legend
Legend
E
bonefish...I know you don't mean to insult me....but I could give two craps about STATS. When I say most accurate I'm not talking about his 2 years of 70+% completion.
I'm talking about watching the game and hitting the WRs in the hands and where they can get the most YAC at I'm talking about hitting 20+ routes right on the money.

Spread offenses? got news for you all these are comments that actually meant something 5+ years ago. Now a days they all seem to be spread offenses with the pistol etc.

I've seen Mayfield under center not too often but he is excellent in his play action.

Sometimes his WRs are wide open but I've seen him hit enough tight windows to feel confident in his accuracy being legit.

Granted there are 3 categories for Mayfield.

Those who believe in his skills,
Those who loathe him cause of his media coverage.
Those who thinks he's just ok.

Vers that was funny...Manziel more talented. You have stooped pretty low. You mean the kid who had 20 plays in college is more talented. The kid who doesn't know what to do in the film room. The kid who doesn't know how to execute a game plan.
Yes he had more speed than Mayfield. Yes he had Evans who he could put the ball in the air and have him go get it. But Mayfield is more accurate than Manziel and has an equal arm strength.

don't worry we will not take him At #1 so odds are he won't be on our team. But you got all upset cause posters were actually liking Mayfield and thinking he is better than Rosen and others. How dare they...lol laugh

Listen the height will have him drop just like Rodgers and Brees dropped. So no way he will be taken #1

Possibly #4 if we fall in love with him. Actually he's a football player that normally you would love if you weren't so political about Rosen being the guy. Rosen actually scares me.

Mental Attitude as well as Physical problems. He could be F-R-G-I-L-E, I think its Italian. Will he want to play here?
Would he be a problem if he sits for a vet we get like Alex Smith. Is he a winner? That extra something. And he is not as accurate as you boast. He is very technically sound and has an excellent release and good footwork, he has been groomed at QB since he was a kid. He has a 6'4" Frame but right now weighs the same as Mayfield.

I don't know him well enough to say for sure negative things.
But something just doesn't sit right with me regarding him.
You act like he is Luck coming out but he is not.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1387354 01/07/18 10:03 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
But you got all upset cause posters were actually liking Mayfield and thinking he is better than Rosen and others. How dare they...lol laugh

I wasn't upset at all. I was giving my opinion on the players.

Your act is old.

E
Legend
Legend
E
You're funny as you call posters stupid and clueless if they don't agree with your analysis.

Act getting old...you mean actually knowing about QBs, not just the lingo and pretend I know. You know how you with certainty stated that 4 point stance for DE's is slow to be better for the run game...when actually technically it is the opposite.

My act is old? You mean I don't revere you as the know everything act. You can fool most on this board. But you don't know as much as you think you do especially about QBs.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
HAven't watched a lot of Mayfield. Missed the tOSU game and only got to see a little of the game vs Georgia last week. There was one play that really impressed me in the 1st half of Georgia game. He actually moves the safety with his eyes to open up the receiver that he eventually completes the pass too.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
eotab #1387360 01/07/18 10:21 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
tab.........I was making football comments. You made it personal. Please stop.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I wasn't upset at all. I was giving my opinion on the players.

Your act is old.

Sorry I missed the football you were giving in this post.

Oh you mean in your total slam of Mayfield...lol yeah otay.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1387547 01/07/18 03:13 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yes, I believe Mayfield to be the most accurate passer in the draft. He's also the most efficient within the pocket. If he doesn't have a stronger arm than Rosen it's pretty darn close.

I think if you want your quarterback to look the part, there's no doubt Rosen is your guy. I think there's a lot more than just looking like a quarterback. I don't think Rosen can hold a candle to Mayfield's heart. Rosen is rumored to be in this just for the money. Not something I want from my #1 pick.

In my mind Mayfield and Rosen are the top 2 as they both can start right away. If Dorsey isn't high on Rosen I can see the debate for us being Darnold vs Mayfield.

I'm curious to see how this unfolds.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I think he can make throws but I’m very skeptical of him being a film junky and setting himself apart mentally and therefore his inability to wow me with his play making ability or rise to the occasion against Georgia makes discouraged. I was more surprised at how his coach did not put the ball in his hands to win but that could be a criticism of the coach or an indictment on the player.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Rumors are just that.

Rosen has not been quoted at all. The only thing he said was I would like to go to the right team not necessarily the first pick. I don't think that is a damning statement.

Money? He is from a wealthy family. Besides who doesn't want money. I don't see anyone giving paychecks back.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
It's a new year and just after Christmas....it's nice that civility has continued into the new year. JMHO, Mayfield is to much like Johnny for me- I'm old school, don't want him representing our brand. Rosen scares me due to his concussions and thin frame, he won't last as long as Johnny did before being hurt....Donald or maybe OSU....I trust Dorsey and company...I'll back their pick at QB....would love Smith on team....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
eotab #1387765 01/07/18 09:34 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
The board is poorly moderated.

Legend
Legend
The board is poorly moderated.

I couldn’t disagree more.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You are correct. There are no sure things.

I'm trying to buy into your idea of Darnold as I feel that could be the pick.

Mayfield for me is simply the better pick. I still view him as the best in this draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Darnold at 1 Mayfield at 4. Sounds silly but we need a qb. Let's hedge our bets.

Joe Thomas #73
BADdog #1387782 01/07/18 10:14 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Rosen at 1 and Jackson at 4 is what I've been secretly advocating.

BADdog #1387795 01/07/18 10:43 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Darnold at 1 Mayfield at 4. Sounds silly but we need a qb. Let's hedge our bets.

Keep Mayfield. Trade Darnold/Rosen to the team that drafted Fitzpatrick, obtaining him and a future pick. Lovely...

CHSDawg #1387824 01/08/18 12:33 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Rosen at 1 and Jackson at 4 is what I've been secretly advocating.

I cannot think of something that would make less sense.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Mayfield was wearing a jean jacket at the last OKC Clippers game.

That should seal the deal for undraftable.

Rishuz #1387857 01/08/18 07:02 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Mayfield was wearing a jean jacket at the last OKC Clippers game.

That should seal the deal for undraftable.

Tune in next week for another exciting episode of Drafting by Fashion, where stats are for losers and film is for geeks.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #1387880 01/08/18 09:13 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
It gets funnier. As George was walking off the court, Mayfield was trying to shake George's hand, and I don't think George knew who he was.

Another dagger in the undraftable column. Looking like a moron.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Baker Mayfield

Link Copied to Clipboard