Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think they sign a front loaded contract and then 2 years from now when he sees we can win with him they will rework it be more cap friendly so he can have the wins he craves continue similar to how NE got Tom Brady to do it. Tom takes a huge pay cut so that the team can afford to surround him with talent to win.

Cousins already has a net worth of over 100 million so he is not worried about being poor.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Swish #1401315 02/02/18 03:10 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Swish
CHAD JOHNSON SAYS KIRK COUSINS WILL SIGN WITH CLEVELAND BROWNS, JOE THOMAS SAYS TEAM IS THE FAVORITE

http://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/sport...te/95-513539574

I trust Ocho Cinco.

Kirk Cousins - QB - Redskins

Impending free agent Kirk Cousins implied he'd have interest in signing with the Broncos this offseason.

"I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open to anything and everything. I’m in the information-gathering stage," said Cousins. When asked specifically about the Broncos, Cousins said he'd "love it if Denver is interested." Von Miller and C.J. Anderson have both publicly advocated for Cousins to join the Broncos, who have been plagued by subpar quarterback play the last few seasons. With the Redskins now committed to Alex Smith, Cousins should have no shortage of suitors on the open market. The Broncos, Browns, Cardinals, Jaguars, Jets and Vikings should all be in the mix.

Related: Broncos

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter

D
Legend
Legend
D
Eli Manning - QB - Giants

Eli Manning confirmed he'll be back with the Giants in 2018.

"Yeah, obviously knowing I will be a New York Giant, that helped. Been told that, so that’s a starting point," said Manning. The Giants are committed to Manning for next season, though the veteran said he'd understand if the team selected a quarterback early in the upcoming draft. "Hey, whatever they draft I’m fine with," said the 37-year-old. "It’s about me doing my job and that’s playing quarterback." USC's Sam Darnold and UCLA's Josh Rosen could be in play for the Giants at No. 2 overall.

Source: northjersey.comFeb 2 - 1:22 PM

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Eli Manning - QB - Giants

Eli Manning confirmed he'll be back with the Giants in 2018.

"Yeah, obviously knowing I will be a New York Giant, that helped. Been told that, so that’s a starting point," said Manning. The Giants are committed to Manning for next season, though the veteran said he'd understand if the team selected a quarterback early in the upcoming draft. "Hey, whatever they draft I’m fine with," said the 37-year-old. "It’s about me doing my job and that’s playing quarterback." USC's Sam Darnold and UCLA's Josh Rosen could be in play for the Giants at No. 2 overall.

Source: northjersey.comFeb 2 - 1:22 PM

You can have ROSEN. Seem less transition. You're welcome.

kwhip #1401406 02/02/18 06:16 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I prefer Darnold, thanks .. wink ...

Not as big a fan of Cousins as most .. i like him and think he’s above average ... just not sure I wouldn’t rather have Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield ...

One thing i do know ... if we sign him ... NO WAY WE GO QB at 1 or 4 ... NO WAY IN HELL!!!

Those that think thats a possibility are KIDDING themselves ...

Legend
Legend

"If" signing Cousins means not drafting a QB with the first pick; I don't want him.

Cousins is a solid quarterback. He is going to get max money which will sque team salary structure.

In addition I seriously doubt that he would sign with the Browns.

There are better options that fit where the Browns are.

It is rare that you pick first. And there are good QB prospects that are worth the top pick.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I've been trying to look at it as though Cousins is not an option. I want to pick our own QB and train him up in our way, our system, our coaches.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

"If" signing Cousins means not drafting a QB with the first pick; I don't want him.

Cousins is a solid quarterback. He is going to get max money which will sque team salary structure.

It is rare that you pick first. And there are good QB prospects that are worth the top pick.

You just never know who those guys are going to be. People can point to Wentz. Denver drafted Paxton Lynch in the first round. In this draft it is said they are seeking a QB.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

You just never know who those guys are going to be. People can point to Wentz. Denver drafted Paxton Lynch in the first round. In this draft it is said they are seeking a QB.

Bad comparison, Peen.

Lynch went where again? 20's.

Darnold and Rosen are FAR and away Better talent than Lynch.

I'm not looking this up, but who was the last QB taken at 1 or 2 that FAILED? Outside of Russell?

Maybe I will look it up, I'm curious lol.

kwhip #1401584 02/03/18 07:31 AM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Russell and Griffin. Lotsa success rate.

And Bortles at 3 should never have been top 10.

It's Darnold all the way!

kwhip #1401598 02/03/18 09:04 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Bad comparison, Peen.

Lynch went where again? 20's.

Darnold and Rosen are FAR and away Better talent than Lynch.

I'm not looking this up, but who was the last QB taken at 1 or 2 that FAILED? Outside of Russell?

Maybe I will look it up, I'm curious lol.

I don't think you can limit it to the first or second pick.

I have some time. All first round QBs since 1999

2017 Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson

2016 Geoff, Wentz, Lynch

2015 Winston, Mariota

2014 Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater

2013 EJ Manuel

2012 Luck, Tannehill, Weeden

2011 Newton, Locher, Gabbert, Ponder

2010 Bradford, Tebow

2009 Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman

2008 Ryan, Flacco

2007 Russell, Quinn

2006 Young, Leinert, Cutler

2005 Smith, Rodgers, Campbell

2004 Manning, Rivers, Burger, Loesman

2003 Palmer, Leftwich, Boller, Grossman

2002 Carr, Harrington, Ramsey

2001 Vick

2000 Pennington

1999 Couch, McNabb, Smith, Culpepper, McNown

That goes back to our return. 52 QBs selected. Less than half have had what I would call a really good career, and i am including a few of the young guys. That can turn around and simply be flash in the pan seasons, but I will give the benefit of the doubt.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Of course there is risk.

However, you have to trust your evaluation process.

When the Eagles traded up to get Wentz everybody said they got the bad end of the deal.

There are legit QB prospects. The Browns don't have to make a trade.

I totally get that Cousins is a proven guy. And that has merit. He going to get close to $30 mil. He is not that good. You give him thirty how are you going to be able to sign all these young guys when their second contracts come up?

The Browns are at this point where they are assembling a load of young talent. In a year their top pick quarterback will be ready.

Cousins would help short term. He could then become an anchor.

It is a risk. I grant that. But for me I believe Darnold will be better than Cousins is now.

Legend
Legend

Some interesting numbers between Cousins and Alex Smith.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000913061

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Was just listening to WFAN New York and they were interviewing someone from I believe was Pro Football Weekly and he said He felt Cousins is going to the Jets with the Broncos as 2nd choice. He said the Jets have a good O-line and are ascending with some of their moves while the Broncos are on the way down. No mention of the Browns at all.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will not feel like we missed out on something great if we do not land Cousins. I would have rather had Smith, but will go with any number of veteran QBs who will allow us to draft a QB #1. My fear with Cousins is that we get stuck in 7-9, 9-7 hell for five years with no franchise QB sitting behind him.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

That is exactly the scenario I see with Cousins. Stuck in mediocrity.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I like Cousins more than that - I think he is good enough to take a team deep into the payoffs and win the SB. But I do agree that if we sign Cousins there won't be a QB taken in the first couple rounds which means that for anyone that covets one of these QB's coming out in the draft, we'd be missing out.

Question for anyone that knows - has Cousins ever had a really legit running game to help him? I had a quick look and in 2015 they averaged just 3.7 yards a carry. In 2016 that was up to 4.5 with Robert Kelley and Matt Jones ....

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Cousins is putting up top 10 numbers. That is not mediocrity. We would be fools not to grab him. It leaves us open to draft weapons that make our offense deadly no matter how the QB is.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Interesting that Washington who drafted Cousins and had him all this time said not interested.

They picked Smith over him.

Maybe they are wrong. Then again maybe they are right.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't believe trying to grab him will be the issue. I think the odds of him actually signing here will be the issue.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Interesting that Washington who drafted Cousins and had him all this time said not interested.

It's Cousins that didn't want to play for them. They offered him a LOT of money to sign long term. He refused them. They just finally got tired of pursuing a guy that didn't want to be there.

mgh888 #1401746 02/03/18 02:08 PM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Jay's scheme emphasizes the passing game at the sacrifice of the running game.

Jay unquestionably runs a QB friendly scheme that creates nice schematic advantages for the QB to attack.

This year the run game was hit with injuries but in the years prior the lack of 'big' rushing numbers was by choice of scheme.

Last edited by edromeo; 02/03/18 02:08 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Was just listening to WFAN New York and they were interviewing someone from I believe was Pro Football Weekly and he said He felt Cousins is going to the Jets with the Broncos as 2nd choice. He said the Jets have a good O-line and are ascending with some of their moves while the Broncos are on the way down. No mention of the Browns at all.

I wouldn't listen to anything home-cooked radio says, especially big-city based radio. They're always trying to convince themselves that top free agents are coming to them, and will find anyone that shares that opinion to put on.

LA radio is the worst. They've had Lebron going to the Lakers Pretty much every years since he's been drafted. Kevin Love and Kyrie going there when they were free agents, and pretty much every other big-name free agent. They've been talking Lebron to the Lakers all year, until it became apparent that the Lakers weren't really good and Lavar Ball was a colossal douche. Now suddenly, Lebron wants to go to the Clippers. crazy

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
My fear with Cousins is that we get stuck in 7-9, 9-7 hell for five years with no franchise QB sitting behind him.

7-9, 9-7 looks like heaven from where we sit. Nobody goes from bad to great; gotta get good first. Hell, simple competence would be a huge upgrade for Browns' fans.

Dave #1401812 02/03/18 05:22 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Dave
Quote:
My fear with Cousins is that we get stuck in 7-9, 9-7 hell for five years with no franchise QB sitting behind him.

7-9, 9-7 looks like heaven from where we sit. Nobody goes from bad to great; gotta get good first. Hell, simple competence would be a huge upgrade for Browns' fans.

I would kill for a .500 team...You know how much interesting and fun it would be to root for a competitive team again...This board would be joyous again

V
Legend
Legend
V
No, the board would be fighting. Some would say that it proved Hue can coach given some talent and that new FO deserves a lot of credit. Others would say the only reason we are winning is because of the great plan that Sashi had and how it's a damn shame that Hue got him fired.

And bro..........I'm only half-kidding. smile

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

It's Cousins that didn't want to play for them. They offered him a LOT of money to sign long term. He refused them. They just finally got tired of pursuing a guy that didn't want to be there.

Exactly. He never felt respected by Washington. When they finally wanted him, it was to late.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Just to be playing for something for a change, that would be nice. rather than be eliminated ASAP. I could be giddy with .500 ball for a wee bit.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Getting Cousins gives you a franchise QB. The need to try and get one in the draft is unnecessary. Drafting a QB is to get a franchise guy, it doesn't always work out that way. Not saying it couldn't, but there still is a learning curb.

This team has won one game in two years. If a franchise guy who is proven is available, IMO, screw trying to hit it with the draft. You still take a QB somewhat high, but adding playmakers in the top of the first round would make this team competitive out of the gate. Drafting a guy could lead to a couple more years of development. Does anyone here really want to wait a couple more years? I don't.

Even if we can't get Cousins, a proven vet who has some success is what the doctor ordered. I'm tired of "developing" QBs. Get a proven guy, so the development guys can actually develop before we need them to play.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

SF did the same thing with Smith. He was disrespected. They chose to move on and he went to KC.

Before all the political hoopla with Kap his playing took a nosedive. Meanwhile, Smith went east to KC, won a lot of games and stabilized that franchise for five years.

SF got it wrong.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And there it is. The willingness to accept mediocrity as good enough. Well, I'm sorry but it's not.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I like to look at it this way... I'd rather have these quarterbacks over Cousins:

Brady
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Carr
Luck (healthy)
Mariota
Prescott
Manning
Wentz
Wilson
Garopollo
Goff
Stafford
Rodgers
Brees
Ryan

That's what...16? That's like half the league. I still might include Newton or Flacco but probably not. Smith might be in the same boat and I'd probably even take the chance on Mahomes or Watson before I'd choose Cousins.

Cousins is light years better than what we have now, but why upgrade to mediocrity when you should be able to have something better in the draft?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I like to look at it this way... I'd rather have these quarterbacks over Cousins:

Brady
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Carr
Luck (healthy)
Mariota
Prescott
Manning
Wentz
Wilson
Garopollo
Goff
Stafford
Rodgers
Brees
Ryan

That's what...16? That's like half the league. I still might include Newton or Flacco but probably not. Smith might be in the same boat and I'd probably even take the chance on Mahomes or Watson before I'd choose Cousins.

Cousins is light years better than what we have now, but why upgrade to mediocrity when you should be able to have something better in the draft?

No offense but your list is horrible.

Kirk cousins ranks
#8 in TD
#9 in completion %
#7 in passing yards
#9 in Passing yards per attempt

That makes him a top 10 QB in this league who was just barely being a top 5. He did all of that while behind a bad offensive line. If he comes here then he will definately play much better behind our o-line especially since Joe T. would play another couple of years.

Half the people on your list will retire in the next 3 seasons and the other half put up worse numbers with teams that were a lot better talent wise.

You give me Cousins, Saquan, and Sutton added to this team and our offense will freaking explode.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. Some people are kidding themselves if they think that Cousins in a mediocre QB. Heck, they are just making stuff up to fit their agenda.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Furthermore, when signing a FA QB to a multi-year contract, one must consider the age of each particular FA. Guys like Brees, Ben, Brady, etc are nearing the ends of their careers. I think Cousins is 28. That's a big factor.

E
Legend
Legend
E
this team is not a QB away and has many areas that need to be addressed with all that cap space.

Actually this team is A QB away from being a contender. Ummm you still have 80 mil in cap space and draft picks to build. Of course we don't stop building the team.

But my reference to a team that is 1-31 is that we have to start winning.
1. The young talent have to get it in their system.
2. Hue will not last with another 3-4 win season.

FA Starting QBs just do not make the FA market often. There is no NEED greater for our team than QB. We will not sign more than approx. 3-5 stud FA. We will build from the 30 or so young players that we got in the draft n UDFA the last two seasons.

We cannot ignore or simply pass up legitimate NFL Starting QB talent. I don't understand your reasoning there. So if you don't agree fine but the statement of why just doesn't make sense. Sorry.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
All Pro
All Pro
We make the playoffs if we cut Kizer, keep Hogan, sign Cousins, draft Barley#1, Fitzpatrick#4, sign Rudolph QB#33... Go Browns!!

Exciting football will be back in Cleveland this fall!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Redskins consider tagging Kirk Cousins to recoup money

By ADAM SCHEFTER via ESPN Feb 4, 2018, 7:39 AM ET
ESPNAPI_IMG_NO_ALTEXT_Value

In what sets up as an offseason game of chicken that would markedly influence the quarterback market, the Washington Redskins will consider placing their franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins so they can trade him and recoup some of the compensation they are sending to Kansas City for quarterback? Alex Smith, per league sources.

Tagging Cousins would prevent him from becoming a true unrestricted free agent, able to sign where he wants once the new league year opens March 14, and could impact how other teams approach free agency and the draft. Without a franchise tag, Cousins would be considered the NFL's top available free agent, expected to draw interest from Arizona, Denver, the New York Jets and other quarterback-needy teams.

Cousins would still have leverage with franchise tag

But Washington might want a say in where Cousins winds up, which would enable the Redskins to try to extract compensation in the 2018 draft rather than having him walk away for nothing this year.

However, Cousins still would be able to wield some control of the situation and could force Washington into a challenging if not uncomfortable situation. Washington could not trade him until he signs the franchise tag, and if Cousins wanted, he could delay signing it for weeks or even months, with the Redskins having to count his approximate $34.5 million against their salary cap.

Cousins also could tell any of Washington's potential trade partners that he is unwilling to sign a long-term deal there, dampening that team's enthusiasm for surrendering a top draft pick for his services and holding up any potential trade.

If Washington decided to pull the franchise tag to get Cousins' contract off its salary cap, it would lose the right to recoup a 2019 compensatory draft pick that it would get if Cousins were able to leave right away as a free agent. So tagging Cousins would undoubtedly carry risk.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden did not give Cousins a sense that the team would use its franchise tag on him when the two spoke this week, but others connected to the team insist that Washington is considering it. They believe it is nothing more than a business decision, a way for the team to try to get back at least the third-round pick it is trading to Kansas City for Smith.

It is a decision that Washington will have to make in the coming weeks. Teams can begin designating franchise players on Feb. 20.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/redskins-tagging-kirk-cousins-recoup-money/story?id=52826741

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Brady
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Carr
Luck (healthy)
Mariota
Prescott
Manning
Wentz
Wilson
Garopollo
Goff
Stafford
Rodgers
Brees
Ryan

Sorry - Eli hasn't been a good QB for at least a couple years. Adding him to that list undermines everything immediately.

As others have also said - we're building for the future - suggesting we can lay a foundation for winning over the next 5 years by having Rivers, Big Ben, or Brees (and Eli) as a better 5 year plan than Cousins is flat wrong. Even the GOAT is a huge question mark past the next season. . . but I think for the GOAT we'd all give up the farm even if it was for 1 year.

So simply using your list and removing the old and infirm - we have 12 QB's that include a 40+ year old Brady and a injury question over Luck. . . . So you don't want a top 13 QB starting for the Browns? And that's based on your opinion - because as others have highlighted - on a somewhat dysfunctional team he's put up some great numbers.

And instead you would want to roll with an unproven rookie QB - where there is very real risk that whoever we take ends up as a (comparative) bust. I think that's some some skewed logic because regardless of your opinion of guaranteed success of whichever rookie QB you like (and I think it's Mayfield) statistically there is a much higher probability the rookie will not be a top 13 QB in the NFL than that he will be in the top 13. . . . . and that's without even trying to debate the merits of some of the younger QB's on your list like Prescott where it comes down to pure personal opinion to claim they are better NFL QB's than Cousins.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cousins Part II

Link Copied to Clipboard