Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I'm not sure he perceives himself as having wronged the fans.

I'm pretty sure his failings are harder for him to stomach know he's let down his family, friends and child. Fans rightfully mean absolutely nothing. Gordon owes you nothing.

You talking about the same fans that tried to bash his mother in First Energy Stadium, too, or just those with a sense of entitlement?

Josh Gordon is a human being doing a job. He is not your slave. Don't get it twisted.

Josh will do what is best for him and his family - regardless of if you feel personally victimised by, um, I don't know.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sometimes the people who pay the bills expect services to be delivered.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree with Pitdawg.

We paid Hue Jackson to do a job and he hasn't delivered. He hasn't lived up to his part of the bargain. Josh is not going to want to play for a coach like that.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Stocker much? lmao

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
CHSDawg #1409769 02/23/18 01:44 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Stocker much? lmao

"stalker" thumbsup

Last edited by DeputyDawg; 02/23/18 01:58 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...control-as-erfa

Good news on his status, pretty much what everyone was saying anyway.

Now is the time to sign Josh Gordon to a very team friendly extension.

I agree. We have the money. Give him a 3-4 mil upfront to sign, then give him some nice bonus bumps payable after he completes a season without suspension for the next 4 years..

I hope Dorsey is smart enough to do this.

Honestly, pay him whatever it takes to keep him. But be sure to put in a clause that he's getting nothing if he blows up again.

Do people think players get paid when they are suspended?

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
I agree with Pitdawg.

We paid Hue Jackson to do a job and he hasn't delivered. He hasn't lived up to his part of the bargain. Josh is not going to want to play for a coach like that.

Seriously, you went there?
No wonder some posters bash you....

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
1 TD in 3 years and his fans want the Browns to sell the farm to keep him. LOL

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BDU
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I'm not sure he perceives himself as having wronged the fans.

I'm pretty sure his failings are harder for him to stomach know he's let down his family, friends and child. Fans rightfully mean absolutely nothing. Gordon owes you nothing.

You talking about the same fans that tried to bash his mother in First Energy Stadium, too, or just those with a sense of entitlement?

Josh Gordon is a human being doing a job. He is not your slave. Don't get it twisted.

Josh will do what is best for him and his family - regardless of if you feel personally victimised by, um, I don't know.
BDU, my post was immediately under, and in response to lampdogg's post;

"Just clicking.

Maybe Josh wants to play in a cooler city, but he'd grow more as a person if he felt like he should make amends to the Browns and the fans for putting up with him, and his travails.
For the past few seasons."

Please notice that in his post he mentioned making "amends to the Browns and the fans".

I'm not exactly sure why my comment, when seen in context, deserved your scolding me about my feeling personally victimized. I do not feel personally victimized, I was simply making a point that I don't think he perceives himself as owning anything to the fans.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I agree with Pitdawg.

No wonder some two posters bash you....

angel

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I agree with Pitdawg.

No wonder some posters bash you....

I thought it was funny.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah this might sound ridiculous, but a part of me feels like he screwed the Browns - and us fans. Maybe that's short-sighted, but I kinda feel that way.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I hope Gordon stays right here and becomes the GOAT.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

I think it would be great, and we earned it... but it's JG.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

I think it would be great, and we earned it... but it's JG.

Doesn't mean I can't hope. Been hoping the Browns would return to greatness in my lifetime since I was a kid... still waiting.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He will be ok this year, 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

First, he didn't play for most of that time so how was he to score?

Second, he proved last season that he still has the skills.

So yes, pay the man, put in conditions. He messes up, he's done.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

First, he didn't play for most of that time so how was he to score?

Second, he proved last season that he still has the skills.

So yes, pay the man, put in conditions. He messes up, he's done.
but you really dont have to put in conditions , because if he messes up he is done regardless. His next substance abuse violation would most likely be a permanent suspension or at least long enough to pretty much end his career

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
1st String
1st String
Just hope that he has cleaned up his act. Not just for his career. But also to save his own life.

June Summertime 2024!
All Pro
All Pro
Not quite sure what signing him to an extension this year would accomplish. I was under the impression that he would be a ERFA this season and a restricted free agent next season.
With Josh still on his last strike for the remainder of his career, a second round tender next season all but guarantees Cleveland would have until free agency 2020 to explore a new contract.
Assuming Josh stays clean for the next two seasons that it.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
D
Legend
Legend
D
@MaryKayCabot

Instead of the $16 million a year Josh Gordon would likely be averaging right now if he'd never gotten suspended, he's set to make $790,000 with the #Browns in '18 as an ERFA

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
If Josh Gordon never got suspended then he would be the highest paid WR in NFL history. The dude was a freak in his prime and when he was mentally there. Brian Hoyer talked about playing with JG and how JG would run the wrong routes and other dumb things. JG took 3 shots of Jamison then hit a bong bowl before every game and he was still the best athlete out there. There's nothing he can do about the past, but he can set himself up for his future over the next two following years. I hope he proves why we should sign him instead of OBJ in the future.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

If history has taught us anything it's that when it comes to improving the Browns at the WR position, you have to address it as though you don't have Gordon on your roster.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
@MaryKayCabot

Instead of the $16 million a year Josh Gordon would likely be averaging right now if he'd never gotten suspended, he's set to make $790,000 with the #Browns in '18 as an ERFA

man, i would LOVE to have a player of that caliber get paid like that on this team. i really hope this dude can keep it together. he has the talent to not only get his jersey retired at our stadium, but end up in the hall.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Swish
@MaryKayCabot

man, i would LOVE to have a player of that caliber get paid like that on this team. i really hope this dude can keep it together. he has the talent to not only get his jersey retired at our stadium, but end up in the hall.

It may be a little late for the HOF.

No doubt I'd like to see him make it long term, and not just for selfish reasons.

I'd really like to see Dorsey extend him 3 years. Give him a nice signing bonus that is his on signing, then structure his contract to have a season ending bonus, payable if he hasn't been suspended by the league for substance issues.

As you said, he has real talent that I would like to keep on the team.

I'd give him 4 mil to sign.....then give him 5 mil at seasons end for the next 3-4 years, in addition to his regular pay of say 1.2 a year.

If you structure the contract properly, he isn't that big of a risk.

I also think the guy needs a guidance counselor who would get him to actually save a good portion of his bonus money in a investment vehicle, such as an annuity that would start paying him at age 48 or so....a mil a year.

By the time you are 48 or 50 you have been around the block a few times. You begin to understand. Most 20 somethings ..even 30 somethings don't get it.

You go from 25 to 55 pretty quickly. Some of you know what I am talking about.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
But we do not need a killer contract for him this year IIRC. We should sweeten it some IMO beyond basement money or no- match level. But if he can be snagged for several years on options, like if we can incentivize his career into the future, that would be great. No more games, and screwing up.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I respect everyone's opinions on here. I know all about Gordon's talent and his history. I have watched games where he does not give enough effort on plays. You have to ask yourself, can you trust him? If I was Dorsey I'd trade him. We need to build around players we can count on. Sometimes you have to make decisions on your gut instincts.

Last edited by Glw12; 02/24/18 04:34 PM.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not going to say I know how long he could remain ours.

I am thinking this year. We are the only team he can talk to. I'd tie him up another 3-4 years. No real guaranteed money on our end other than the signing bonus.

He can guarantee the money promised by staying clean.

I think he needs money. Give him some and he will sign.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Glw12
I respect everyone's opinions on here. I know all about Gordon's talent and his history. I have watched games where he does not give enough effort on plays. You have to ask yourself, can you trust him? If I was Dorsey I'd trade him. We need to build around players we can count on. Sometimes you have to make decisions on your gut instints.

I think it's easy to say trade him, but there's no market for him. If you don't trust him no one else will. You might get a 6th or a 7th for him, but nothing more. You're essentially selling low for him. Especially since he'll be a RFA next year and an UFA the year after that. It's much cheaper just to trust him imo.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
He will be ok this year, 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Just OK?

That sounds like a DREAM compared to what we've had lol

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
it's his call to sign an extension or not, if offered.

Yes, you are correct but I think our main concern with him would not be if he would sign an extension but if he can remain clean & sober that long to even sign.

If he can do so, can you imagine how mad most of us would be if he refused to sign and instead sat out the whole season?

Legend
Legend

2018 is a gigantic year for Mr. Gordon.

It is the year that if he does things right he could set his family up for life.

Gordon has shown what he is capable of. He did it while stoned and with poor quarterback play.

Now he has the entire year to be ready for a full sixteen games. He may actually have a quarterback who can through it. (although that remains unclear at this time).

If the Browns add the players this year through FA and the draft that can impact play; we can win games.

But Gordon has the chance to make up for all the wrong.

I want to see what this guy can really do. What a dedicated, healthy, super stud can put down with the right conditions.

Just imagine if he is on the same page with a real quarterback. With a balanced attack and additional quality receivers.

It tickles the imagination.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I think it's easy to say trade him, but there's no market for him.

Impossible to know. Let's put him on the trading block and find out. rolleyesdevil

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
I think it's easy to say trade him, but there's no market for him.

Impossible to know. Let's put him on the trading block and find out. rolleyesdevil

Why would the Browns even think about trading Gordon, the kid is a beast and when we start winning he will be a huge part of that ... superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
If you look at history, you can hope Josh will be on the roster, yet it would be foolish to count on it.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
If you look at history, you can hope Josh will be on the roster, yet it would be foolish to count on it.

Of course, I would rather have that hope then trade it away ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
We really don't have anything to lose by keeping him. Everyone in the league knows he's one strike away from being out of the league so nobody is going to give us much anyway. And if he's suspended he isn't getting paid. So we may as well keep him.

We just can't go into the FA market or draft acting as though he's actually on the roster. We have to just consider it a bonus if and when he is.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Yea... Just what we need on the roster.. A drug pushing thug that runs the wrong routes and half ass it on the field

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Yea... Just what we need on the roster.. A drug pushing thug that runs the wrong routes and half ass it on the field

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

nothing i said that was not true..

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon

Link Copied to Clipboard