Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

Every year contracts get bigger and bigger, its part of the game...

Let this sink in...Donte Moncreif caught 26 passes last year for 2 TDs and got around 10 mill from Jacksonville...Laundry has averaged over 100 catches for 4 years straight and had 9 TDs last year and got around 15 mill a season...He is noted by many to having the top or very near best hands in the league, runs sharp routes, gives actual effort till the whistle...

Gordon, Coleman, Louis, Higgins all combined had 5 TDs amongst the 4 of them...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C here.

Wow, some of you blokes must be happy with:

A - Leading the league in cap space like its your freakin' money you don't want to spend.
B - Probably leading the league in 3rd and long for the past 20 years
C - Having the worst WR Core in the league for God knows how long.
D - Actually, all the above.

We are on the verge of locking up a legit player and making the roster and our chances of actually moving chains on game day instead of drop, incomplete, drop, punt, rinse, repeat - and y'all have sand in your lady bits.

Pull your heads in. smile

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Riddler
J/C here.

A - Leading the league in cap space like its your freakin' money you don't want to spend.

A - Cap space can be rolled over into future years
B - I never said Landry was bad.
C - Acquiring Landry was a good move for the price. Signing Landry for this much money could be a bad move.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Signing Landry for this much money could be a bad move.

If he resembles anything of a Kenny Britt or Dwyane Bowe, I'm literally done with FA WRs at that stage. 100% done. Draft and play all rookies at that position, if need be.

Who was our last decent/good FA WR? Joe Jurevicious? Even if he was hurt a lot, I still can't remember a more productive free agent WR we signed. I'm an old man though so it might just not be clicking lol.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Who was our last decent/good FA WR?

Probably Andrew Hawkins. Miles Austin also made some big plays, but I don't know if I'd call him "good".

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Who was our last decent/good FA WR?

Probably Andrew Hawkins. Miles Austin also made some big plays, but I don't know if I'd call him "good".

Ahh Hawk, I would have to agree... gzz that wasn't even long ago and I forgot haha.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
$47 million guaranteed is a ton for Jarvis Landry. He needs to be more than he has been in the best to make this contract worth it.

rofl ...

Some people complain because they like to complain.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
3 Pro Bowls in 4 years? I didn't know that. He's young and can play at a high level, he catches the ball, and looks damn good after the catch fighting for yards; what more can you ask for?

The Pro Bowls are meaningless. We should all know that by now.

I want more catches down the field. If Landry can do that, along with the short yardage completions, he will be worth this contract.

Short passes in stride with YAC are good to have too. He's good at that.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/12/18 08:19 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
In his 4 seasons with Miami,he is credited with 12 drops.
Yes,that is 12 drops,total,in 4 years.Think about that.

So, you're saying he's not gonna fit in here.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
3 Pro Bowls in 4 years? I didn't know that. He's young and can play at a high level, he catches the ball, and looks damn good after the catch fighting for yards; what more can you ask for?

I want more catches down the field. If Landry can do that, along with the short yardage completions, he will be worth this contract.

Right. But he’s getting paid like he’s Julio Jones or A.J. Green.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
$47 million guaranteed is a ton for Jarvis Landry. He needs to be more than he has been in the best to make this contract worth it.

rofl ...

Or some people have valid concerns that they like to voice.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Check out 4:42.

Excited about him!

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would much rather have the cap space "problems" that the Cheifs have than the cap space non problems the Browns have had for the past 5 years.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Originally Posted By: Riddler
J/C here.

We are on the verge of locking up a legit player and making the roster and our chances of actually moving chains on game day instead of drop, incomplete, drop, punt, rinse, repeat - and y'all have sand in your lady bits.

Pull your heads in. smile

Exclude me please

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Did you not see Sammy Watkins contract?

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Market rate, cap going up every season, some "get off my lawners" are going to complain every off-season about guys getting too much money.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: bringbackbernie

Did you not see Sammy Watkins contract?

Yes. It is also probably bad. Landry also is getting $17 million more guaranteed than Watkins.

I like Landry and think he will play well. Players like him don’t usually get paid this much.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Glad he's locked in.

I really don't care what his contract is, either.... some of you worry about it, and I know the cap is a factor in long-term, but he is a good player who will help us, he'll be in tyrod's wheelhouse, too. Has good character.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BpG
Market rate, cap going up every season, some "get off my lawners" are going to complain every off-season about guys getting too much money.

Market rate if he’s a #1 receiver.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Is Sammy Watkins a #1? Because he got $16 million a year after a 590 yard season, and 1 career 1000 yard season.

Contracts are through the roof all the way around. Sam "Glass" Bradford got $20 million.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cle23
Is Sammy Watkins a #1? Because he got $16 million a year after a 590 yard season, and 1 career 1000 yard season.

Contracts are through the roof all the way around. Sam "Glass" Bradford got $20 million.

Using bad contracts to justify Landry’s contract is a horrible argument. Also, Landry got $17 million more guaranteed than Watkins.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Landry is a 1st down machine ... thumbsup

Except he's really not.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The bottom line is Landry is probably better than what we've had... But is he worth 15 million per year? The stats say no.

Watkins and Landry were probably both signed to contracts based on potential. If they don't produce like the money dictates, they'll be let go.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
He is a 3 time Pro Bowler .. outside of a Left Tackle and possibly a Center, how many offensive Players have made the Pro Bowl 3 times for the Browns since the return?

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
T
Legend
Legend
T
The computer froze in the middle of my reply.

I feel like "Tommy Boy" trying to explain the other guys warranty.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I suspect that Landry's deal could easily become a 3 year deal, if necessary.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Kevin Johnson...are you kidding and poor mans version to boot. Kid knows where the chains are its as if he see that YELLOW LINE across the field love the way he turns up field and then dives for the first or explodes into the side of a defender (not head on) to burst forward and get that first.

Guy is excellent and the perfect guy if we achieve a vertical stretch and horizontal stretch...that is a lot of space he will find. Its like everything that we actually envisioned Hawkins to be...just 10 times better.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
If he earns it, he's worth it. If he doesn't, he isn't.
It ain't rocket surgery, and since the NFL plays with monopoly money, the numbers don't really matter much (yet).

I just hope that Dorsey (or whatever his name is) has cured himself of his past habits of spending like a drunken sailor on shore leave... otherwise, we'll go from having tons of cap space to being in Cap Hell in just a few years like we did under Butch Davis.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

rofl ...

Or some people have valid concerns that they like to voice.

No doubt.

I guess I don't care what we are paying him. It wouldn't do us much good to have him as a one and done. Considering where we have been, I consider this refreshing news.

Had we been winning 10 games a season, I would probably agree with you, but we haven't.

We are at the point where the way to salary cap is structured, vets are getting the money and rookies aren't. We are signing some vets. To do so, they are going to get paid.

Much depends on the structure of the deal. I am sure it will be heavy towards the front so if we want to get out of it in 3-4 years, we won't have tons of dead money.

One of the knocks on Dorsey was cap management. I am not sure who is watching over that for us at this point, but right now I am sure the word from Haslam is to get some players signed and start winning games.

Let's worry about the cap when it becomes a problem. Right now, we have no worries for a few years. We can't keep carrying 70 mil in cap space and expect to be relevant.

Landry is a good receiver. He may not be the downfield threat, but he is very good at getting open underneath. Match him with Taylor and we are going to see the chains move. I don't see a downside to that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Landry got $17 million more guaranteed than Watkins

and He deserved more than Watkins

Watkins has Averaged 48 catches per year over the last 4 years for an average of 763 yards, and 6 TD's

Landry has averaged 100 catches per year in the same time frame to go along with an average of 1010 yards per year and 5.5 TD's

In the last 2 seasons alone Landy has 139 more catches for 1,100 more yards and 3 more TD's.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: cle23

Using bad contracts to justify Landry’s contract is a horrible argument. Also, Landry got $17 million more guaranteed than Watkins.

I'm not justifying bad contract I'm simply saying that that is what contracts are now. The salary-cap has exploded and because of that contracts are through the roof even for average players. Landry is more than an average player.

L
Legend
Legend
L
15/year for a 25 year old 3 time pro bowler is a bargain. Especially when its been such a big hole on our team. That 15/year means he met all incentives and that should mean he was highly productive. With only 9/year guaranteed, can't say that's too difficult to swallow

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns to trade for Jarvis Landry

Link Copied to Clipboard