Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DiamDawg #1456949 05/24/18 11:46 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
One thing that I don't hear a lot about is the crispness of his routes. His footwork allows him to be in that "special" category as an ankle breaker. What a lot of people don't consider is that Jerry Rice and Jarvis Landry had very similar 40 times and both were pretty slow. Yet in both cases, their ability to get open are unmatched.

Being a great WR is far more about a players feet and not about straight line speed.

Couldn’t agree more Pit ... theres a reason were this excited about him ... the man can BALL ... thumbsup

I think Landry is going to put up huge numbers as a Brown. Defenses will fear Gordon if he stays clean because he is the most talented player on the team, maybe the NFL and will put their top CB on him. Leaving Landry going up against #2 CB's week in and week out. Landry is a great route runner, with good hands, and better athleticism than he is given credit for. He is the best pure WR the Browns have had since Joe Jurevious. Todd Haley will make Landry this teams Antonio Brown.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg
He is the best pure WR the Browns have had since Joe Jurevious. Todd Haley will make Landry this teams Antonio Brown.

I'm confused. The year Joe Jurevicious was here, he was like the third or fourth option behind KW2 and Braylon.

What do you mean by pure WR?

Cause, IMO Travis Benjamin was a better WR for us and so was Terrell Pryor IMO. And they were number one options. Jurevicous did a good job for us, but Edwards and Winslow were best options without a doubt.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
V
Legend
Legend
V
No doubt that Landry is a better receiver than Joe. I can't really speak for others, but perhaps they mean that both guys are/were excellent route runners who have a knack for finding holes in the zone. Cerebral guys who can catch in traffic and come through in the clutch.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
No doubt that Landry is a better receiver than Joe. I can't really speak for others, but perhaps they mean that both guys are/were excellent route runners who have a knack for finding holes in the zone. Cerebral guys who can catch in traffic and come through in the clutch.

Thats it, right there ... thumbsup

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
He is the best pure WR the Browns have had since Joe Jurevious. Todd Haley will make Landry this teams Antonio Brown.

I'm confused. The year Joe Jurevicious was here, he was like the third or fourth option behind KW2 and Braylon.

What do you mean by pure WR?

Cause, IMO Travis Benjamin was a better WR for us and so was Terrell Pryor IMO. And they were number one options. Jurevicous did a good job for us, but Edwards and Winslow were best options without a doubt.

Travis Benjamin was incredibly fast. Terrelle Pryor has great size and athleticism. Josh Gordon is a freak of nature with off the charts athleticism.

Joe J was a WR. He ran perfect routes and caught everything that came his way. Even poor passes. Landry brings those same skills that Joe possessed. Name me the last Browns receiver that made a QB look good when they made a bad throw. Joe did that for Derek Anderson. Landry will do that for Tyrod Taylor.

We have had many good athletes play WR for us but often times they dropped very catch-able throws. Ran poor routes and caused QB interceptions. Landry is a pure WR.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
Yep. Just look at how we struggled the year after Joe retired. DA no longer had that reliable receiver, when he absolutely needed a catch. It really hurt the whole team, as teams had one less threat to defend.

Of course, then we had the lunacy of DA/BQ/KB/BG ....... crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DiamDawg #1457002 05/24/18 01:46 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I will add that the dependability issue can not be overstated. HANDS!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Travis Benjamin was incredibly fast. Terrelle Pryor has great size and athleticism. Josh Gordon is a freak of nature with off the charts athleticism.

Joe J was a WR. He ran perfect routes and caught everything that came his way. Even poor passes. Landry brings those same skills that Joe possessed. Name me the last Browns receiver that made a QB look good when they made a bad throw. Joe did that for Derek Anderson. Landry will do that for Tyrod Taylor.

We have had many good athletes play WR for us but often times they dropped very catch-able throws. Ran poor routes and caused QB interceptions. Landry is a pure WR.

Gotcha, I was just confused. So you're saying the pure skill of playing WR.

Because, like I said, Pryor and Benjamin made significant differences on this team that i don't think that JJ could make.

And at least with Benjamin, I'd take him over JJ that same season with Braylon and KW2 (bigger difference players and better players that year than JJ)

E
Legend
Legend
E
I think a dying term not used by many is POSSESSION WR, they get too smart with Y, Z, S. Joe was a possession WR. His experience had him running good routes even though he was a little past his prime and he was never known for his great hands. But he was very reliable.

Maybe that is where someone might use pure WR as a description. Whatever Joe was Landry is way better and just reaching his prime years.

I think most of the board had Landry on their wish list. There are a few, don't know why who poo-pooed the pick up. He's a great leader by example to the youngsters. He understands the flow and he really brings the offense to a level that we have not seen. What WR in our existence since 1999 is equal to him?
None! Great pick up and we used a 4th rounder + 2019 7th for him. Wow what a great move by Dorsey...

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1457407 05/25/18 10:48 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Joe had great hands.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1457418 05/25/18 11:07 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I know I shouldn't speak...lol laugh

I watched JJ for years as a Giant, he was not known for his hands. He had a great run here for the couple of years and he caught just about everything. But don't tell me what his rep was coming here. Cause it wasn't of a WR with great hands. What I said "He was never known for his hands" for the simple reason he was not. You can go rewrite history all you want. I thought he caught what he was suppose to. But his routes were of the TE type of routes and successful catches, there was a time when he was an outside WR and I'm telling you from my memory he was not known for his great hands. He didn't have bad ones. But he dropped his share.

I'm not a stat guy, just going on memory back in the day when he was young and growing as a WR with the Giants.

So once again, put me down. That makes it so. I'm not good with stats stuff, talking about Giant years not Tampa and don't even know if they kept that stat then. All I know is I saw a fair share of his games and he was not known for great hands.

I think he showed excellent hands for the routes he was asked of during our Browns season...2? or 3?

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1457428 05/25/18 11:18 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
As a Brown, Joe had great hands.

Is that better for you Lord Tab? lol

#gmstrong
eotab #1457472 05/25/18 12:51 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
I know I shouldn't speak...lol laugh

I watched JJ for years as a Giant, he was not known for his hands. He had a great run here for the couple of years and he caught just about everything. But don't tell me what his rep was coming here. Cause it wasn't of a WR with great hands. What I said "He was never known for his hands" for the simple reason he was not. You can go rewrite history all you want. I thought he caught what he was suppose to. But his routes were of the TE type of routes and successful catches, there was a time when he was an outside WR and I'm telling you from my memory he was not known for his great hands. He didn't have bad ones. But he dropped his share.

I'm not a stat guy, just going on memory back in the day when he was young and growing as a WR with the Giants.

So once again, put me down. That makes it so. I'm not good with stats stuff, talking about Giant years not Tampa and don't even know if they kept that stat then. All I know is I saw a fair share of his games and he was not known for great hands.

I think he showed excellent hands for the routes he was asked of during our Browns season...2? or 3?

did pretty well in tampa too.. could it have been the hodge pot QBs the giants had back then?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
cfrs15 #1457786 05/26/18 12:22 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Not to get picky here but Jurevicious had what 2 seasons over 50 catches and finished his career with 323 receptions.

No doubt he was solid, but Landry has 316 in the last 3 years alone.

...and has a catch rate of over 70%

I liked Joe, but no...and it's not even close.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
E
Legend
Legend
E
Again never said he was bad...just stating he was never known for his hands. As in being described at the time with the words "AND GREAT HANDS" Thats all. He didn't have bad hands at all. He had success. Marginal success for a guy that tall and that much speed. Giant QBs, yeah not the greatest although Warner was not bad just his worst stint as a QB was with the Giants.

If it makes people feel better just forget I ever said he was not KNOWN FOR HIS HANDS.

crazy

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1458462 05/28/18 09:59 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Again never said he was bad...just stating he was never known for his hands. As in being described at the time with the words "AND GREAT HANDS" Thats all. He didn't have bad hands at all. He had success. Marginal success for a guy that tall and that much speed. Giant QBs, yeah not the greatest although Warner was not bad just his worst stint as a QB was with the Giants.

If it makes people feel better just forget I ever said he was not KNOWN FOR HIS HANDS.

crazy

When i think of good hands, I think Torry Holt, Larry Fitzgerald, Wayne Cherbet, Tony Gonzalez.

Hopefully Landry can show hands for our team like those guys have.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Luckily for us I've heard the term GOOD HANDS used for Landry. Even by some Great Hands.

Excellent Possession WR. don't know why they stopped promoting that in football??? Use to be you had scoring type guy and a possession type guy moving the chains.

But I don't know how better to describe Landry!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1458470 05/28/18 10:11 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Luckily for us I've heard the term GOOD HANDS used for Landry. Even by some Great Hands.

Excellent Possession WR. don't know why they stopped promoting that in football??? Use to be you had scoring type guy and a possession type guy moving the chains.

But I don't know how better to describe Landry!

Like Keyshawn and Wayne Cherbet. The Sun and the Lightbulb baby!

Although, i think Jarvis is definitely a better player than Wayne Cherbet. We see him in the slot because that's what Miami did last year. But he's been utilized in different ways than just the slot. He is more versatile than folks give him credit for

eotab #1458685 05/29/18 09:10 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

crazy

What I recall from Joe J was him being a very smart player, that was before him coming here,and it was confirmed.

Joe J and Willy Mac are IMHO the prototype smart player that play way bigger than what they are.

Don't know if Jarvis is known for being a smart player....

cfrs15 #1463621 06/09/18 03:26 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
proFootballTalk

It may be disrespectful, but Landry's right on QBs

Jarvis Landry says that the quarterbacks on his new team in Cleveland are better than what he had in Miami and he may be right.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/clevelan...miami?ls=pftvod

Video on webpage.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Would you guys stop, already.... I'm trying to maintain low expectations and not get my hopes up.

Thoughts of a guy akin to JoeJ, or better, running the field with Gordon (WAY better than Braylon), a TE as athletic as K2, and a QB better than Anderson has me starting to think we can make some noise.

U best stop reading now ... naughtydevil

I’m SOOOOOO EXCITED ..... I have never been this excited to see someone in a browns uniform making plays ... i am having a hard time containing my self ... i can’t wait to se this dude in a browns uni making plays, getting first downs keeping drives alive ...

This dudes good ... i mean real good ... i mean really really good ... he’s so consistent ... he’s like a machine ... and he’s YOUNG .... going into his 5 th year and he just keeps getting better ...

Hes so consistent ... with everything ... route running ... sharp, crisp always run to the exact spot where hes suppose to be and then he

CATCHES THE F’N BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man .... i can’t wait to see him playing for us ... this is the most excited I’ve been since our return .... this dude can flat out ball .... thumbsup

DiamDawg #1472905 07/10/18 09:23 AM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Would you guys stop, already.... I'm trying to maintain low expectations and not get my hopes up.

Thoughts of a guy akin to JoeJ, or better, running the field with Gordon (WAY better than Braylon), a TE as athletic as K2, and a QB better than Anderson has me starting to think we can make some noise.

U best stop reading now ... naughtydevil

I’m SOOOOOO EXCITED ..... I have never been this excited to see someone in a browns uniform making plays ... i am having a hard time containing my self ... i can’t wait to se this dude in a browns uni making plays, getting first downs keeping drives alive ...

This dudes good ... i mean real good ... i mean really really good ... he’s so consistent ... he’s like a machine ... and he’s YOUNG .... going into his 5 th year and he just keeps getting better ...

Hes so consistent ... with everything ... route running ... sharp, crisp always run to the exact spot where hes suppose to be and then he

CATCHES THE F’N BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man .... i can’t wait to see him playing for us ... this is the most excited I’ve been since our return .... this dude can flat out ball .... thumbsup

You don't have to be so down dude.. things will get better ... cool

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
cfrs15 #1472911 07/10/18 09:30 AM
Legend
Legend
I agree with Diam about Landry ... at least in terms of his route running, catching ability, and consistency.

He's not a guy who will take the top off the defense and make plays down field, but he's a menace inside 20 yards

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DiamDawg #1472979 07/10/18 10:49 AM
Legend
Legend
Pfftt... you're such a Negative Nancy tongue

While reading that, and continuing to temper myself, it made me think about the impact of Landry's game on Gordon's, and the thoughts then went to the troubled kid we drafted (Callaway?).

I don't know if anyone has noticed or not, but there hasn't been any negative noise surrounding him, at all. I am literally knocking wood on that, but it was a nice realization because if he can straighten up and be on the field, a talent like him could be disastrous for defenses when put on the field with a pair like Gordon and Landry. He will get a LOT of opportunities to do work with defenses having to focus on those other two (and not even factoring in a guy like Njoku)..... but, that should probably all be for another thread about him. Landry's potential impact just got me thinking about the cascading effect he might have and what it could mean for others.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
My understanding is that this Callaway kid is like Gordon 2.0 talent wise. Imagine that duo with Landry in the seam and Njoku/DeValve/Duke underneath... All with a qb that can get them the ball on time.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
My understanding is that this Callaway kid is like Gordon 2.0 talent wise. Imagine that duo with Landry in the seam and Njoku/DeValve/Duke underneath... All with a qb that can get them the ball on time.
I don't know anything about Callaway other than what I've read ... his route running needs work. He's basically a vertical threat right now and not much else

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I've read that he is a very good route runner. https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/06/cleveland-browns-film-room-antonio-callaway-strengths/
Seems his hands are a little suspect though. Watching video, the thing that comes to mind is that everything he does looks effortless. Much like Josh Gordon. And yes, he will definitely take the top off a defense.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1473042 07/10/18 12:43 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
Calloway is going to benefit from having Landry as a mentor and teammate. Can't have a better one to emulate. Him and Gordon have different dynamics. But what I do know is the kid has speed. Also that is the first I heard anything about his hands being suspect??? Is that true?

Landry, Gordon, Duke and Calloway I hope will be the best group of 4 in the NFL. Add in our TEs Njoku and Devalve and we have 6 amazing weapons for the air game!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1473064 07/10/18 01:18 PM
Legend
Legend
I've said this since we drafted Callaway .. Landry has the most valuable spot on our roster. He is not only expected to be a playmaker, but he's a leader and mentor to Gordon and Callaway.

A huge task.

cfrs15 #1473074 07/10/18 01:46 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is a hell of a group of weapons. Throw in what could be the best run blocking OL in football with three solid backs and well, things could get interesting. Hue is a coach that needs dynamic players. Well now he has them.

eotab #1473174 07/10/18 03:59 PM
Legend
Legend
https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/06/cleveland-browns-film-room-antonio-callaway-weaknesses/

"Callaway can make the spectacular catches, but he struggles to be consistent catching the ball. In his two seasons at Florida, he has 10 drops, according to Pro Football Focus. Pro Football Focus also states that of the 61 catchable passes in 2016, Callaway dropped seven passes for an 11.48% drop rate. His hands are just not consistent."

cfrs15 #1473180 07/10/18 04:11 PM
Legend
Legend

To derail this thread even further...
Looks like Josh has already become a mentor to Callaway.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/...ss/95-564441939

“We talk every day, and I know how it is definitely being in that scenario,” Gordon said. You don’t necessarily want outside pressure just prying into your life and trying to get you to open up. Naturally, he’s just being himself, and that’s all I want him to do, just being able to focus on the game and the task at hand for right now.

“I think the best way for me to try to get that across to him is to show him that there’s somebody dealing with the same issues right now, currently, and this is what I’m doing. This is how I have to adapt to this new lifestyle of just being a professional.

“I’ve known Antonio since he was at Florida. We were training together in Gainesville. I’ve seen him then, and I’ve seen him now. He’s come a long way. He’s got a great attitude, great guy, and he’s a great football player more than anything.”

cfrs15 #1473195 07/10/18 04:39 PM
Legend
Legend
nice find FATE ... I'll say this: Gordon sounds a little different ... more mature

Sometimes when you are the TEACHER/MENTOR and not the person being mentored, it changes your perspective.

Having Callaway might actually end up making Gordon more responsible/dependable

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not trying to cast aspersions on JG. I hope he's doing well and will continue to do well.

But to me, he doesn't "sound different". He's always had the ability to, and has said all the right things. It's just in the past he's naver managed to back up his words with actions.

#gmstrong
eotab #1473248 07/10/18 06:10 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
j/c...
Calloway is going to benefit from having Landry as a mentor and teammate. Can't have a better one to emulate. Him and Gordon have different dynamics. But what I do know is the kid has speed. Also that is the first I heard anything about his hands being suspect??? Is that true?

Landry, Gordon, Duke and Calloway I hope will be the best group of 4 in the NFL. Add in our TEs Njoku and Devalve and we have 6 amazing weapons for the air game!

Actually if you listen to the WR coach Henry's recent presser, he may be the best asset all these young troubled kids have here. He has a master degree in education and structural technology. Someone that will be there both on and off the field, for both football and non-football ordeals.

I was actually impressed with him after his presser.

FATE #1473264 07/10/18 07:16 PM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: FATE
https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/06/cleveland-browns-film-room-antonio-callaway-weaknesses/

"Callaway can make the spectacular catches, but he struggles to be consistent catching the ball. In his two seasons at Florida, he has 10 drops, according to Pro Football Focus. Pro Football Focus also states that of the 61 catchable passes in 2016, Callaway dropped seven passes for an 11.48% drop rate. His hands are just not consistent."
I agree every WR needs to lower their drop rate.
But 11% isn't the end of the world. There have been some really good receivers with drop rates in that same range and Callaway can make up for it with thee 'spectacular' catch that other receiver can't/dont make.

edromeo #1473275 07/10/18 07:32 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I've never been a fan of receivers who don't have good hands. I feel the same way about QBs who are inaccurate or have trouble reading coverages.

On the other hand, the reason I love Landry so much is the dude has world-class hands.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I've never been a fan of receivers who don't have good hands. I feel the same way about QBs who are inaccurate or have trouble reading coverages.

On the other hand, the reason I love Landry so much is the dude has world-class hands.

Yeah, it's weird, isn't it? Something about 'nfl receiver' and 'bad hands' just doesn't work.

I don't care if the guy runs a 4.2 40, or if he's a great route runner, or has football sense.......or whatever.

"Has questionable hands" does it for me. Well, he isn't an nfl receiver.

cfrs15 #1473334 07/10/18 09:44 PM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I think its a bit early to right off Calloway or any receiver as having 'questionable hands' based soley on a 11% drop rate. But to each their own.

The list of receivers who have posted that drop rate (and worse) is a really good list that would include guys like Wes Welker.

edromeo #1473336 07/10/18 09:45 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
May I ask who has written off Calloway?

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jarvis Landry

Link Copied to Clipboard