Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Trump Was Outfoxed in Singapore

It sure looks as if President Trump was hoodwinked in Singapore.

Trump made a huge concession — the suspension of military exercises with South Korea. That’s on top of the broader concession of the summit meeting itself, security guarantees he gave North Korea and the legitimacy that the summit provides his counterpart, Kim Jong-un.

Within North Korea, the “very special bond” that Trump claimed to have formed with Kim will be portrayed this way: Kim forced the American president, through his nuclear and missile tests, to accept North Korea as a nuclear equal, to provide security guarantees to North Korea, and to cancel war games with South Korea that the North has protested for decades.

In exchange for these concessions, Trump seems to have won astonishingly little. In a joint statement, Kim merely “reaffirmed” the same commitment to denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula that North Korea has repeatedly made since 1992.

“They were willing to de-nuke,” Trump crowed at his news conference after his meetings with Kim. Trump seemed to believe he had achieved some remarkable agreement, but the concessions were all his own.

The most remarkable aspect of the joint statement was what it didn’t contain. There was nothing about North Korea freezing plutonium and uranium programs, nothing about destroying intercontinental ballistic missiles, nothing about allowing inspectors to return to nuclear sites, nothing about North Korea making a full declaration of its nuclear program, nothing about a timetable, nothing about verification, not even any clear pledge to permanently halt testing of nuclear weapons or long-range missiles.

Kim seems to have completely out-negotiated Trump, and it’s scary that Trump doesn’t seem to realize this. For now Trump has much less to show than past negotiators who hammered out deals with North Korea like the 1994 Agreed Framework, which completely froze the country’s plutonium program with a rigorous monitoring system.

Trump made a big deal in his news conference about recovering the remains of American soldiers from the Korean War, but this is nothing new. Back in 1989, on my first trip to North Korea, officials there made similar pledges about returning remains, and indeed North Korea has returned some remains over the years. It’s not clear how many more remain.

Trump claimed an “excellent relationship” with Kim, and it certainly is better for the two leaders to be exchanging compliments rather than missiles. In a sense, Trump has eased the tensions that he himself created when he threatened last fall to “totally destroy” North Korea. I’m just not sure a leader should get credit for defusing a crisis that he himself created.

There’s still plenty we don’t know and lots of uncertainty about the future. But for now, the bottom line is that there’s no indication that North Korea is prepared to give up its nuclear weapons, and Trump didn’t achieve anything remotely as good as the Iran nuclear deal, which led Iran to eliminate 98 percent of its enriched uranium.

There was also something frankly weird about an American president savaging Canada’s prime minister one day and then embracing the leader of the most totalitarian country in the world.

“He’s a very talented man,” Trump said of Kim. “I also learned that he loves his country very much.”

In an interview with Voice of America, Trump said “I like him” and added: “He’s smart, loves his people, he loves his country.”

Trump praised Kim in the news conference and, astonishingly, even adopted North Korean positions as his own, saying that the United States military exercises in the region are “provocative.” That’s a standard North Korean propaganda line. Likewise, Trump acknowledged that human rights in North Korea constituted a “rough situation,” but quickly added that “it’s rough in a lot of places, by the way.” (Note that a 2014 United Nations report stated that North Korean human rights violations do “not have any parallel in the contemporary world.”)

Incredibly, Trump told Voice of America that he had this message for the North Korean people: “I think you have somebody that has a great feeling for them. He wants to do right by them and we got along really well.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/12/opinion/trump-kim-summit-north-korea.htmlrref=collection%2Fcolumn%2FNicholas%20Kristof

Legend
Legend
Important points I learned from that story...

www.nytimes.com

That's all.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Originally Posted By: FATE

www.nytimes.com

That's all.

So the fox indoctrination has already taken effect... sorry to hear that...

An educated, independent thinking person can read an article and then self-determine its content and value...

Sad...

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Fox News host says Kim Jong Un 'got it all' from Trump for virtually nothing in return

Link

Shep's video is here as well...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Huge concessions? What huge concessions? lol

We said we would stop military games, do you know how long it would take to re-implement the military games? hours? a day? give me a break. Disgusting

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I need Warp Engines NOW!

America is jumping to TRUMP SPEED!

thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Huge concessions? What huge concessions? lol

We said we would stop military games, do you know how long it would take to re-implement the military games? hours? a day? give me a break. Disgusting

Yeah, but in the meantime, everyone will forget how to FIGHT. SCARRRRY!!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Lairdawg

www.nytimes.com

That's all.

An educated, independent thinking person can read an article and then self-determine its content and value...

Sad...

Yes. Good call genius, I'm too dumb to think for myself. Read the first three sentences of your story and any one with half-a-brain doesn't need to go much further.

"Trump gave it all away"

Took the media twelve hours and that's what they decided to go with. Ab-so-lutely laughable. Look at the scope of what just happened and Trump was "hoodwinked"... "outsmarted". I can't laugh much harder. Can't make this stuff up!

Indoctrinated? Me?? Nah...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I woke up this morning to see how many NK missiles flew over Japan last night.

Then I thought of all the things the Democrats did for us in the last bunch of years.

Then I thought of Diam's equation...

0 + 0 = 0

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

www.nytimes.com

That's all.

Sad...

Yes. Good call genius, I'm too dumb to think for myself. Read the first three sentences of your story and any one with half-a-brain doesn't need to go much further.

"Trump gave it all away"

Took the media twelve hours and that's what they decided to go with. Ab-so-lutely laughable. Look at the scope of what just happened and Trump was "hoodwinked"... "outsmarted". I can't laugh much harder. Can't make this stuff up!

Indoctrinated? Me?? Nah...

Whats funny, was two-three weeks ago when trump called this off they yelled and laughed and screamed at "what a failure". Now they are scrambling for whatever they can try to pull out the rears....

B
Legend
Legend
B
It's a shame to see the narrative the left news and their minions are spinning.

"We gave up to much"..

We canceled a war game as a good faith measure. Big deal. It's not like we don't already know what we are going to do if war broke out.

The road to peace isn't exactly enhanced if we conduct war games 2 months later.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

"We gave up to much"..

We canceled a war game as a good faith measure. Big deal. It's not like we don't already know what we are going to do if war broke out.

The road to peace isn't exactly enhanced if we conduct war games 2 months later.

So no comment on the Fox piece that I posted... or was it just conveniently ignored...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Shep Smith is a Trump hater like you and like you is wrong as usual.

What America got...
-3 hostages released.
-An end to missile launches and Nuke testing.
-An agreement from NK to change direction toward deNuking.
-An agreement to return the remains of American soldiers.

What NK got...
-An end to war games.
-An agreement to help them change direction with their Country.

Our people and theirs are currently meeting to work out further details and to complete what has begun.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 06/13/18 11:19 AM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I said with North Korea. I'm sorry you couldn't comprehend what I posted. lmao
funny, you have been screaming how different the us is since trump took over......so nk isn't different than from when the father ran it? lol

So you're argument is that we should trust a guy who had his own brother assassinated because he likes shiny things and basketball? Well all righty then. lmao

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

"We gave up to much"..

So no comment on the Fox piece that I posted... or was it just conveniently ignored...

Copy and paste it, when these sites tell me I have to turn off my ad blocker to read their drivel, I show their lips the fast track to my white a$$. Do it, it will be good for a laugh. You know, it's easy to reach a point where you know that 99% of the media push pure trash. You don't need to read articles - you need to read between the lines.

What happened in Singapore is a win-win-WIN. Win for us, win for them... huge win for the rest of the world. Spin it however you want (the media), it's a trite attempt at more of the same. As soon as we reach some semblance of unbiased reporting (never) people will read with interest again.

I was impressed by MSNBCdotcom, by 10 last night they knew their best bet was to just act like it never happened lol.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Well, I like Trump.

An excellent president. So far.

And I think he should be tried on Treason & Conspiracy charges and face the maximum penalty.

But that's just me. I'm a stern critic.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I said with North Korea. I'm sorry you couldn't comprehend what I posted. lmao
funny, you have been screaming how different the us is since trump took over......so nk isn't different than from when the father ran it? lol

So you're argument is that we should trust a guy who had his own brother assassinated because he likes shiny things and basketball? Well all righty then. lmao
Yall trusted iran....ill let this play out.

nice spin tho...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
Well, I like Trump.

An excellent president. So far.

And I think he should be tried on Treason & Conspiracy charges and face the maximum penalty.

But that's just me. I'm a stern critic.

Calm yourself Rocky, he is getting things done.
There will be plenty of time for your stuff down the road.

L
2nd String
2nd String
L

A little help to let it play out...

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Bill Clinton, 1993
After nine days of talks at the UN, the US and North Korea essentially agreed to keep talking, based on their mutual support of 1992’s “North-South Joint Declaration on the Denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.”

In that landmark 1992 declaration, Pyongyang agreed “not to test, manufacture, produce, receive, possess, store, deploy, or use nuclear weapons; to use nuclear energy solely for peaceful purposes; and not to possess facilities for nuclear reprocessing and uranium enrichment.”

In the 1993 US-North Korea pact, both sides gave “assurances against the threat and use of force, including nuclear weapons.” This ultimately resulted in the 1994 “agreed framework” towards a nuclear-free peninsula that is considered the closest move towards a successful deal.

Eight years of talks later, it all fell apart.

Quote:
George W. Bush, 2005
After the Clinton-led framework failed, China helped push North Korea to denuclearize, via the “Six Party Talks.” On their fourth meeting, in Beijing in 2005, the US, China, North Korea, South Korea, Russia, and Japan put out a detailed joint statement to say:

North Korea “committed to abandoning all nuclear weapons and existing nuclear programs.”
The US “affirmed that it has no nuclear weapons on the Korean Peninsula and has no intention to attack or invade” North Korea.
All sides agreed the 1992 declaration should be “observed and implemented.”
All parties pledged “economic cooperation in the fields of energy, trade and investment” with North Korea.
After multiple rounds of talks, George W. Bush removed North Korea from the US’s list of state sponsors of terrorism in 2008. However, talks collapsed in 2009 when North Korea fired a test missile after disagreeing with the other parties about inspections and verification of denuclearization.

Trump has great expectations and I hope this agreement will stick.
But any claim of some sort of win here by the GOP is premature.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's not spin at all. You said that Un would want to go along with all of this because he wanted nice things and liked basketball. I said that I didn't trust him. That's really been our only disagreement in all of this.

With the Iran deal there were measures in place to inspect so we didn't have to trust them. In order to have a final deal with N. Korea, there will be a lot of ongoing negotiations that will have to take place before anything of substance is achieved. Once it is, if it is, there will be measures in place to insure he's following the agreement. We won't have to trust him at that point just like we didn't have to trust Iran.

My point was that I don't trust Un to follow through with the negotiations to the point that we reach such a deal. Once a deal is reached, we won't have to trust him. I'm not sure what part of this you're not understanding.

I think it's a great thing that our government is in talks with N. Korea. A deal can never be reached if you never try. I really didn't trust that Iran would follow through with the process either, but they did. I feel no differently in this case. I've never said one negative thing about Trump's attempt to reach a deal with N. Korea.

The fact that I don't trust some dictator to negotiate in good faith isn't a stretch in anyone's imagination. Nice spin though.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We also have this. The next U.S. president can simply undo everything Trump has done with the stroke of a pen.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So foolish to say we are trusting Kim. notallthere

He either comes through or we go back to war.

No trust needed.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I never said we trusted him. willit seems to think that there's something wrong with me not trusting him either. lmao

I think it's a good thing we are trying.

#gmstrong
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
So foolish to say we are trusting Kim. notallthere

He either comes through or we go back to war.

No trust needed.

15 Memorable Quotes:

From Singapore:

1) “We will be stopping the war games [with South Korea] which will save us a tremendous amount of money. It is very provocative.”

2) "I think honestly he's going to do these things."

3) "I may be wrong, I mean I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘Hey I was wrong.’ I don’t know that I’ll ever admit that, but I’ll find some kind of an excuse."

4) Trump asked photographers whether they got a good picture of him and Kim "that makes us look nice and handsome and thin."

5) "I gave up nothing. I'm here. I haven't slept in 25 hours."

6) As reporters shouted questions, Trump turned to Kim Jong Un, saying, "The press, they never stop."

7) On Kim Jong-un: "Well he is very talented. Anybody who takes over a situation like he did at 26 years of age and is able to run it, and run it tough — I don't say 'he was nice' or I don't say anything about it,"

8) On North Korea: "It's rough. It's rough in a lot of places, by the way, not just there. But it's rough.

9) On whether there was a recording of the meeting between Trump and Kim: “I don’t have to verify, I have one of the great memories of all time.”

On Fox News:

1) “I just think that we are now we are going to start the process of denuclearization of North Korea, and I believe that he’s going back and will start it virtually immediately – and he’s already indicated that and you look at what he’s done.”

2) On his "rocket man" comments and other hostility last year: "Without the rhetoric we wouldn’t have been here....So I think the rhetoric, I hated to do it, sometimes I felt foolish doing it, but we had no choice."

On ABC Interview:

1) "I do trust him, yeah... Maybe in a year you’ll be interviewing and I'll say I made a mistake. It's possible. We’re dealing at a high level, a lot of things can change a lot of things are possible."

2) "Over my lifetime I've done a lot of deals with a lot of people and sometimes the people you most distrust turn out to be the most honorable ones and the people that you do trust turn out to be not the honorable ones."

3) "I've been up 24 hours now straight between phone calls and working it... This is a very, look this is 72 years we’re talking about, and we put it into one very intensive day and some meetings beforehand."

And if you made it this far down, I've saved the best one for last.

"North Korea has great beaches. You see that whenever they're exploding cannons into the ocean... Wouldn't that make a great condo? ... You could have the best hotels in the world right there. Think of it from a real estate perspective. You have South Korea. You have China. And they own the land in the middle. How bad is that? Right? It's great."

Legend
Legend

On ABC Interview:

1) "I do trust him, yeah.

Quick question... whole world's watching... should he say he doesn't trust him???

P
Legend
Legend
P
You don't have to say either one actually.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Is that your opinion based on 50 years of failure?

L
2nd String
2nd String
L

On ABC Interview:

Quick question... whole world's watching... should he say he doesn't trust him???

Well.. to put my reputation on the line with the likes of Kim and the track record of NK... no chance in hell...

He set himself up for that question... and he knows it...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

On ABC Interview:

Well.. to put my reputation on the line with the likes of Kim and the track record of NK... no chance in hell...

You hate him and have cried about his reputation so many times we can't count them, now you worry. notallthere

L
2nd String
2nd String
L

On ABC Interview:

You hate him and have cried about his reputation so many times we can't count them, now you worry. notallthere

Sorry... you have me confused for someone else... exactly where in my statement do you equate anything that resembles worry?

P
Legend
Legend
P

Is that your opinion based on 50 years of failure?

See, this is where you listen to what you're told rather than looking for facts. The last failure was in 2005 when N. Korea refused to live up to an agreement made during the Bush administration.

The same reason I don't trust them now.

We haven't even come to an agreement with N. Korea this time.

You do realize that when you reach an agreement and that nation refuses to keep up their end of the bargain, it's them who failed and not you, right?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

On ABC Interview:

Reputation lmao?

You and Pitt are both really reaching here. He was ASKED the question... Plead the fifth? Now you're saying he "set himself up" for the question. C'mon man! That would be one of the first questions no matter who did the interview.

Bottom line... a deal is struck, Rome won't be built in a day, both parties have little choice but to say they "trust" the other party, in a public forum, anyway. Not a real tough subject to grasp. I get it - everybody hates Trump. Is there ever any wiggle-room to admit something is a good thing? Or does that just make you look and feel too inferior? Like you're admitting some defeat or something... I don't get it.

Headline: North Korea Agrees to Denuke

Response: Bad deal, America agreed to quit playing war games and offered support, got nothing in return.

Sometimes I feel like I've woke in an alternate universe.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think it's reaching to say you have little to no trust in a dictator negotiating in good faith or that you simply don't trust him.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't think it's reaching to say you have little to no trust in a dictator negotiating in good faith or that you simply don't trust him.

Not at all. You're 100% correct. However, it's reaching beyond reach to say that Trump doesn't have to answer the question... or that he can't stake his "reputation" on an answer that is stated strictly for the media and the worldwide court of public opinion.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I realize Trump isn't a gifted orator but he could have easily have sidestepped that question without a direct answer.... ie

I just met the man and so far we are working a positive direction.

It's really not that difficult to address questions in this manner and not say one way or the other.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I realize Trump isn't a gifted orator but he could have easily have sidestepped that question without a direct answer.... ie

I just met the man and so far we are working a positive direction.

It's really not that difficult to address questions in this manner and not say one way or the other.

If Trump listened to silly advice like this we would still be living in Obama's wasteland.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well of course we would.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Pompeo says North Korea understands there will be 'in-depth verification'

1 hour ago.

"It's in the statement. It's in the statement," Pompeo insisted as he briefed reporters in Seoul. "You're just wrong about that."

The joint statement says that "President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to the DPRK, and Chairman Kim Jong Un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula."
Asked how "verifiable" and "irreversible" appeared in the statement, given that the words aren't there, Pompeo said, "I suppose you could argue semantics, but let me assure you that it's in the document."
And then he added that, "I find that question insulting and ridiculous and frankly ludicrous," adding that "one ought not play games with serious matters like this."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/13/politics/pompeo-north-korea-verification/index.html

Stop arguing semantics Pit. tsktsk

P
Legend
Legend
P
So the words weren't there. Do you even understand what the word semantics means?

#gmstrong
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Kim and President Trump, North Korean Summit

Link Copied to Clipboard