Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

I think everyone should keep in mind that we were 4-0 in preseason last year. That's against vanilla O's and D's. I would caution everyone from drawing some conclusion that a rookie QB is ready to start in the NFL based on preseason results.

Even if Baker goes lights out in preseason, I want Taylor executing the offense when schemes and game plans start getting into the equation. We invested in this situation, let's execute it and let Baker continue to learn for TT and Stanton.

Jmo of course.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not really saying that per say. I just know we are all desperate for a winner. I know that during every preseason our fans, at least many of them, place far too much value on what they see in preseason. They fall for the shiny apple like it's somehow representative of real NFL games. They begin to feel that what a QB does against some vanilla D is some clue of how he will play in real NFL games against teams prepared for you playing much more complex schemes.

After which we hear how great the rookie QB looks. How he should be the starter after the first game or two if mistakes are being made. It's just a never ending story around here. I doubt my posts will have any impact but let's just say it's a prediction of the same tired re-run I've seen on these boards since 2001.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Colin Cowherd = Owned

Quote:
Baker Mayfield roasted Cowherd for trying to make him seem like a “bad teammate” after a TD 🔥

https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/1009845342198812672 (video clip)

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
But what i don’t understand is that if Baker is ready and can play like Dak, Wentz or Watson there rookie year and PROVE HES READY why in the heck U wouldn’t want him to play ...
We look good on paper, but that's paper. Those teams had solid players all around - running games, defenses, or WR at the top of their games.

Don't get me wrong, Jarvis, hyde, chubb, duke, etc are getting us there. But that's on paper. We still are a BIG question mark. I don't want to rush BM.

Has anyone noticed .. what we see as vast improvement, the national media, NFL.com, ESPN .. etc still see as a power rating of # 32 out of 32 and picked to draft # 1 next year. They do give us credit for moving up to Pro level ( rather than High School ) but still do not rate us as high as we, Browns fans, think we should be rated.
One of the things that the national media doesn't remember is that we lost 3-4 games to turn overs in the red zone. If we clean those up (TT's lack of TO), and improve 2-3 games, that's 5-7 wins. I know the schedule is tougher this year, so I'm certainly not predicting 7 wins, but I think 5 is attainable and would shock many of the naysayers.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
“I’ll say it over and over again: I’m fortunate to be behind him and learn from him.” - @bakermayfield on @TyrodTaylor ✊

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1009856104237617153

Apparently, he is doing the ESPN circuit today.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm not really saying that per say. I just know we are all desperate for a winner. I know that during every preseason our fans, at least many of them, place far too much value on what they see in preseason. They fall for the shiny apple like it's somehow representative of real NFL games. They begin to feel that what a QB does against some vanilla D is some clue of how he will play in real NFL games against teams prepared for you playing much more complex schemes.

After which we hear how great the rookie QB looks. How he should be the starter after the first game or two if mistakes are being made. It's just a never ending story around here. I doubt my posts will have any impact but let's just say it's a prediction of the same tired re-run I've seen on these boards since 2001.

Then people saying .. "We have to see what we got in the rook, so we know what to do in the draft." As if "we" were the final say so over who plays. After all, we see all the practices; we are in all the meeting rooms. We know more than the coaches, who see and work with the players every day. Unless there are injuries that dictate a change in the plan, let's give Baker the full year to how to be an NFL QB.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend

2018 NFL 1st draft pick and 2017 Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield joins Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless on Undisputed to talk about his journey to the NFL, being ready to compete in the NFL and playing behind Tyrod Taylor with the Cleveland Browns.

Rookie QB Baker Mayfield joins Colin Cowherd in studio to talk about his college career and what to expect from him now that he is on the Cleveland Browns.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Man, I don't know how you can watch these two interviews and not love this kid.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
I can’t say I love him but I gotta say I have more respect for him.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
more clips from both shows ..on OUDailey

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklahoma-f...f51c8cfb59.html

I'm impresseed with the way he handled himself,

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
M
Legend
Legend
M
great clips and while its not showing what he can do on the field and under center, he couldn't be more impressive. Doing Cowherd and knowing what was said about you before the draft, knowing Cowherd is gonna set up 'gotcha' topics, says a ton and he handled it well.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I couldn't tell if Cowherd was joking, hateful, being his normal hack self or all of the above.
Seriously trying to set off Mayfield. Kid stayed professional.

Legend
Legend
j/c

Cowherd has been ultra critical of Mayfield (and our selection of him) for months ... this was a ratings ploy to have Baker on and have him "destroy" Colin.

I did like his demeanor and confidence, but I do agree w/Cowherd about his psst "immaturity" issues. Hopefully Baker is all football now.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
I couldn't tell if Cowherd was joking, hateful, being his normal hack self or all of the above.
Seriously trying to set off Mayfield. Kid stayed professional.

Without a doubt Cowherd was trying to get under Baker's skin and cause friction and have BM show some hostile reaction. For the next 2 months he would have been saying "I told you so"

Frankly I'll take the word of his team mates who loved him and Nate Burelson and Shannon Sharpe who also loved his attitude. It bothers me some that Bayless who I can't stand and won't listen to apparently loves BM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
j/c

Cowherd has been ultra critical of Mayfield (and our selection of him) for months ... this was a ratings ploy to have Baker on and have him "destroy" Colin.

It might have been good for ratings for Cowherd - but there was no obligation for BM to do that show and to me it says something about BM that he calmly wanted to go face to face with the douche media hack who has been saying such total garbage about him..... let's face it, questioning BM's maturity = not a big deal, very valid. questioning the defenses he faced and how his offensive stats will carry to the NFL = very valid. . . . saying BM was undraftable = contrived controversy by a media hack looking for attention.

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
I think we all owe Cowherd a thank you.

Let me explain: BM plays with a chip on his shoulder. "he cant do this, he cant do that. Hes not good enough, hes too small...he will never make it" That kid drives on fuel from negativity against him.

Well being the 1st pick in the draft, kinda takes some of that away from you. You cant say you are the underdog when you are the first pick in the draft, success is NOW EXPECTED. BM has never been EXPECTED to be successful.

Cowherds comments are going to re-light that fire in BM.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
“I’ll say it over and over again: I’m fortunate to be behind him and learn from him.” - @bakermayfield on @TyrodTaylor ✊

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1009856104237617153

Apparently, he is doing the ESPN circuit today.

Kid has an excellent head on his shoulders. What's his name was fishing for BM to create some controversy but BM pretty much put an end to that real quick. As Haley said this is one of the best QB rooms he has seen in his long time career. TT is a very good QB and LEADER. So good for BM to watch as example and the mentoring will be done by Stanton who does not have to concentrate on starting but know a heck of a lot about the NFL.

Man I love this, only thing bothering me is that it just seems too good to be true, its scary that we got this good this fast!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Much can be learned by shutting up, observation and listening. He seems to understand that pretty well.

Legend
Legend
Much can be learned by shutting up, observation and listening. He seems to understand that pretty well.
yep ... shutting up is a key part, and a tricky part given a few things:

1. He's the #1 pick
2. He'll be on Hard Knocks
3. He has his own show
4. The media is all over him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: FATE

He has no persona. That is, he doesn't feel he has to be a certain way nor portray a certain personality to the public. It seems he is 'what you see is what you get' as he is always simply himself.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: ddubia

He has no persona. That is, he doesn't feel he has to be a certain way nor portray a certain personality to the public. It seems he is 'what you see is what you get' as he is always simply himself.

What a douche ... wink ..

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Me or him? lol

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

It's very refreshing. I wasn't sure what we would be getting when we drafted him. Obviously, things can change when the bullets start flying, but he seems grounded enough to always accept responsibility and never forget the value of endorsing his teammates.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought Cowherd was intentionally mean with the interview.

Mayfield was well prepared and not caught off guard by anything that Cowherd was goading him with. Cowherd looked silly and unprofessional. Mayfield held his own and made his points.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just watched the whole video clip, here is one word I would use to describe Baker in that interview,

Moxy, he showed composure under duress. He went toe to toe with a titan of his industry, in cowherd.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
I just watched the whole video clip, here is one word I would use to describe Baker in that interview,

Moxy, he showed composure under duress. He went toe to toe with a titan of his industry, in cowherd.

Yep, he has big stones. I like the way you could see him thinking about what was being said and formulating a response way before Cowherd finished talking. He did a better job keeping his composure than I would have.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

He said the most growth in his game came when he had to sit a year, after transferring to Oklahoma. Obviously, I didn't want Baker, but I kept saying during the draft process was that his personality was winning me over, now that I see it on full display, I see why everyone calls him a leader. That's hard for me to admit, because after the JFF saga, I swore to never fall for the athlete who says all the right things. But unlike JFF, who said all the right things with a wink and smile, trying to charm us into believing him, Baker's style is pure unapologetic candor. He will speak his truth, while accepting blame when due, without caring how the other will take it. When the truth is the truth, you don't need to charm everyone who hears it, people who do that are just trying to convince themselves of whatever "truth" they're telling.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Not having liked his attitude, he's been doing everything to make me forget it. By all means it sounds like a rookie that's in need of work and has been focused in putting it in.

I've learned from Manziel not to take much into pressers, but he's been saying the right stuff to.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Me or him? lol

Pretty sure he was referring to Cowherd not you wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
He is ready to compete. He just may not be ready to take over.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I want him to sit and learn. He has the work ethic, and IMO, the ambition to use this time to perfect his craft. Taylor, I believe will be loved by the fans the moment he wins a game and performs well. Having a QB not throw an INT in a game would be a huge step for this team.

I see Mayfield coming into camp next year the clear leader of this team. If Tyrod wins ten games, with him helping in those wins, I see a team giving up a few draft picks to acquire him. These one year deals are a vehicle to a big contract.

That being said, if Taylor leads this team to the playoffs, Mayfield can sit for years and it won't bother me a bit. His time will come. But, if we are winning with Taylor, it would be a bad move to dump him for a drafted player. I feel that would not sit good in the locker room.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This story is not concerning to me whatsoever. It's playing out so far exactly as I'd hoped it would.

D
Legend
Legend
D
It's playing out so far exactly as I'd hoped it would.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

So.........Darnold and Rosen are reportedly kicking butt on the field and Baker is kicking butt on the TV circuit. Shocking.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

So.........Darnold and Rosen are reportedly kicking butt on the field and Baker is kicking butt on the TV circuit. Shocking.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by that comment.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Who cares?
What Darnold & Rosen are doing has nothing to do with us.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Obviously, I care. That's why I posted it. Will I get suspended for doing so?

B
Legend
Legend
B
I hope not.

The reports on Baker the player have been pretty good. The tone of your post made it sound like he hasn't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1st String
1st String
j/c:

What articles have you been reading on Darnold and Rosen? I have not read anything that states they're kicking butt at anything.

And from the limited crap that has been written about Mayfield in OTA's and a minicamp, he had a really bad first practice. Then everything written after that said he was doing fine, even promoted to taking snaps with the second team.

So are you still upset about that first practice? Is that what this is all about? Because that's the only thing that's been written about Mayfield having a tough time.

Sounds like you want him to do poorly so you can throw out the "I told you so!" comments... like the one above.

"You're gonna do WHAT?!"
-Tim Robbins as Merlin in Top Gun
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Report: Baker Not ready to compete with Tyrod

Link Copied to Clipboard