Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Obviously, I care. That's why I posted it. Will I get suspended for doing so?

lol!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c:

So.........Darnold and Rosen are reportedly kicking butt on the field and Baker is kicking butt on the TV circuit. Shocking.

What field? Oh the 10 days of Rookie and OTA camp...lol laugh you are incredible with your agenda...smh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
j/c:

So.........Darnold and Rosen are reportedly kicking butt on the field and Baker is kicking butt on the TV circuit. Shocking.

Non of them have taken one single snap in a NFL regular season game so we are still a few years away from any of this meaning anything. One way or the other bro.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know that, bro. Then again, there were a lot of positive posts just because Baker told off some dumb reporter. It works both ways in my world, bro.

Legend
Legend
Cowherd sucked. Why throw dirt on a rookie? I think BM had some smooth comebacks for a lame and stilted "interview" simply to gin up some negativity. Who cares how Colic "sees" it?
This wasn't football IMO. Just trying to rip on a superior player. Might be why ESPN numbers have been off. Lousy all around, Cowlick.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think this is twice that ESPN was mentioned. I believe Cowerd, Skip, and Sharpe all work for Fox and not ESPN.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think this is twice that ESPN was mentioned. I believe Cowerd, Skip, and Sharpe all work for Fox and not ESPN.

They do, but they all started with ESPN and their style of show still exists on ESPN. Neither Fox nor ESPN are exactly kicking butt in ratings atm.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
I know that, bro. Then again, there were a lot of positive posts just because Baker told off some dumb reporter. It works both ways in my world, bro.

I understand buddy. You know me I hate people who throw dirt on his grave already, and people who want to put a crown on his head already. Why in the hell is it that nobody thinks patients is a virtue anymore banghead

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Im not concerned with Rosen or Darnold or with what the cardinals or jets are doing.

They are in completely different situations than we are. Ive come to terms that even if baker is ready, he will sit. And he will most likely be as ready as either Rosen or Darnold. If either of them were here the talk would still be about Tyrod starting the season as QB1.

The most important stat here to keep in mind is that a rookie QB has started what, 23 of the 32 games Hue has coached. Baker would truely have to impress here to get the nod over tyrod. As would Rosen or Darnold. Neither would be starting over Tyrod. And Baker most likely would be talked about be doing well and in contention to start if he was in either NY or AZ.

Last edited by devicedawg; 06/27/18 06:43 AM.
Legend
Legend
Regardless of employer, the point is content. I appreciate the correction if wrong, but I thought it was an ESPN show. Nice to see where Fox sets the bar then.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Just trying to rip on a superior player.

This is a tad premature

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
6 QBs will forever be compared especially if Rudolph ends up being the next Wilson/Dak mid round stud. Baker is really gonna have to bust his ass not just to avoid being a bust but being worthy of his selection. This is an extremely competitive group of QBs and they wont be forgetting they got passed over for a 6ft tall spread QB that was on video being tackled by a cop.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Don't care about thee other 5 QBs, him being a bust or not is highly UNLIKELY only because the kid works hard always had and always will.

In the past usually those who have busted in the top 5 overall did so cause they just didn't work hard or they could not comprehend the game of football. Neither apply to BM...the kid right now is thinking, once he gets comfortable and he does not have to think that much instead just react and know his reads his accuracy will be amazing and we will have our Franchise QB. I know I know, how do I know this as fact. His skills are amazing, his accuracy is amazing. All that has to come is knowledge and comfort, which is something he has a reputation for. The rest, Leadership, accuracy, etc. is a natural talent that he possesses. Its not a matter of WILL HE...but just a matter of WHEN.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
6 QBs will forever be compared especially if Rudolph ends up being the next Wilson/Dak mid round stud. Baker is really gonna have to bust his ass not just to avoid being a bust but being worthy of his selection. This is an extremely competitive group of QBs and they wont be forgetting they got passed over for a 6ft tall spread QB that was on video being tackled by a cop.

lol. First, I'm not worried about how hard Baker Mayfield is going to work. He'll be "busting his ass" either way. But I don't think Baker is going to have to bust his ass any harder than the rest of them "to avoid being a bust".......

That 6' Spread QB is a Heisman Winner and far more successful college QB than any of them (Lamar Jackson being closest). I don't think any of the QBs look at him as any lower than any of the other guys that they might have been passed over for.......... (except Sam Darnold, seeing as he was only passed over for Baker).

Personally, I feel just fine about the guy we got. I'd have preferred Josh Rosen, but I was still high on Baker. He's got a strong arm, he's accurate, he's played a ton of football, he's had plenty of success, I think he's quick/slippery too. He's got a great work ethic and has earned everything he's achieved.

Besides Rosen, there's not one guy in the draft class who matches Mayfield as a prospect.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
V
Legend
Legend
V
There is going to be scrutiny anytime you are the first qb taken and many people had multiple guys ahead of you.

I don't have any idea on how their careers will evolve, but there is no doubt that they will be compared early and often.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

lol. First, I'm not worried about how hard Baker Mayfield is going to work. He'll be "busting his ass" either way. But I don't think Baker is going to have to bust his ass any harder than the rest of them "to avoid being a bust".......

That 6' Spread QB is a Heisman Winner and far more successful college QB than any of them (Lamar Jackson being closest). I don't think any of the QBs look at him as any lower than any of the other guys that they might have been passed over for.......... (except Sam Darnold, seeing as he was only passed over for Baker).

Personally, I feel just fine about the guy we got. I'd have preferred Josh Rosen, but I was still high on Baker. He's got a strong arm, he's accurate, he's played a ton of football, he's had plenty of success, I think he's quick/slippery too. He's got a great work ethic and has earned everything he's achieved.

Besides Rosen, there's not one guy in the draft class who matches Mayfield as a prospect.

I'm still uneasy. I think I would be regardless of which Qb we had took though.

I just absolutely cannot get over his display of immaturity/bad attitude. I just hope he makes me believe it's not a concern.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you that there would be scrutiny no matter which qb we had taken or even if we had taken Barkley. Scrutiny comes w/the territory when you are picked number one.

I think drafting Darnold would have led to the least scrutiny, but there would still be some.

Rosen at 1 would be scrutinized because a lot of people don't like his attitude and concussions.

Allen would have been heavily scrutinized because of his accuracy issues, record, and injuries.

Lamar would have been heavily scrutinized because of his accuracy issues and lack of polish as a passer.

Baker is going to be scrutinized [no matter how much it upsets some of our board members] due to him playing in a spread offense, his lack of height, lack of speed, character concerns, and how often he threw to wide-open windows.

None of those concerns will go away just because posters start hurling accusations and insults at others. The only thing that will stop those conversations is if Baker proves to be the best qb of the bunch.

He might end up being the best. He might not. But, make no mistake..........he is going to be under a microscope.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Absolutely.

And this could take time, hopefully Tyrod seizes the job, wins some games and baker gets the luxury of time to improve.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Tyrod is not all that. Baker should win the job if he is any good. LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think drafting Darnold would have led to the least scrutiny, but there would still be some.

See. I tried liking Sam Darnold. I really did. But when I sat down and spent my time watching those Youtube "every throw in a game" videos of him, I came out feeling very Ugh.

He's got the image of a QB. The look. His grand father was the Marlboro Man. All that.

But in the actual game, I thought he consistently made poor decisions. Over and over, I was unimpressed with his reads. I mean, I believe it's the Utah Game, and I think it was the first quarter. He literally threw the ball to the same place, twice, on at least similar plays, which was right off defender's hands.

There was absolutely no reason, i saw, that he should have been putting the ball where he was. And that's what I saw over and over. He had a knack for making plays, especially when things become a bit unscripted, but he kept on making poor decisions.

Baker Mayfield I didn't care much for, until I started watching more and more games of his. For me, his stock rose significantly, while Darnold's dropped.

I wasn't going to be upset about Darnold. I saw the upside. But he was clearly my number three guy.

So I guess, me, I'd have scrutinized the Darnold pick more than Rosen or Baker.

Josh Rosen was my guy through and through. Obviously, I don't have all the information that these NFL teams have on Rosen, and there must be something there, because there's no reason a guy with his on-field caliber would be selected as far down as he was.

But point being, at least for me, Darnold would have been more scrutinized than Rosen or Baker. But I think he'd have been the least scrutinized in the national/local media.

Quote:
He might end up being the best. He might not. But, make no mistake..........he is going to be under a microscope.

I'll agree with this though. He'll be under a microscope no matter what. But, I figure, he's been under the microscope during most of his college career. Whether it's walking on and beating out Davis Webb, or beating out that guy at Oklahoma. When those decisions were made, there's certainly scrutiny on him and the deciders (as a walk on beats out these scholarship athletes)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think it'll be somewhat close. Less because of talent, more because of circumstance (talent in favor of Baker, circumstance in favor of Tyrod). I think the only rookie who would beat out Tyrod would beat out Tyrod is Rosen.

He'd have beaten him outright and clearly, as his transition to the NFL is easier than Baker's, and he simply has that much more talent than Tyrod.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Petey, I wasn't talking about the personal preferences of myself, you, or other board members. I was talking about the national perception, which is driven by the media and then gets fed by the fans.

Legend
Legend

For me I don't want to lose sight of the Steelers. I want to win the game and Tyrod be our guy.

The draft is over. We have our team and I am super curious about how we will play.

Honestly I have watched very little of Tyrod. He seems to have gotten the team behind him early by working hard and showing he is ready to play.

We have so many new guys it feels like a different team. The Browns have actually been listed as having the best receiver duo. Crazy when before we didn't have guys who belonged on the field.

We have a legit offense with a quarterback who has a winning record. We have runners. We can actually cheer in some games because we will score points. Something that last year seemed impossible.

Defense. We were decent last year. Now we have an entirely new and improved defensive backfield. We have LB's with depth and competition. Our Dline is better. Our pass rush should be improved.

At this point Baker means little to me. Hopefully he will learn the position and be ready to play if his number is called.

Darnold, Rosen and the others: good luck to them until we play them.

I want Tyrod to light it up. We may be surprised by what he can do with the players around him.

One last thing regarding the offense is Haley. He is experienced. He is very detailed and results oriented.

It should be interesting and fun to watch. That alone gets my blood running hot. After years of tuning in to see how bad we would get beat.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

Actually, if you take away College accuracy numbers (who IMHO are not that relevant), most of the prospects are better than Mayfield.

Can't see anything special in the guy... But I hope I'm wrong.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree he is going to be under the microscope. That comes to almost any drafted QB, especially those drafted with the intent that he is going to be the guy.

As you pointed out, anybody we drafted would have their "issues" that were going to be monitored.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

In a way I agree. But, just to poke you in a nice way, I'll play it the other way. After last season, no way that Hue will give him the chance to win the job. LOL

Again, that isn't to be provocative. Just having a little fun on a Saturday morning before I head out for my 7 mile Saturday walk along the river.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I would stay with the original plan. TT is our guy and let Baker sit and learn. If a game becomes a blowout and they want to put BM in for a few reps fine but other than that I would let him sit. Let's not make the same QB mistakes again.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Interesting.

I actually made that comment w/some of your comments in mind. For example, we better not be picking in the top 10. smirk

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

In a way I agree. But, just to poke you in a nice way, I'll play it the other way. After last season, no way that Hue will give him the chance to win the job. LOL

Again, that isn't to be provocative. Just having a little fun on a Saturday morning before I head out for my 7 mile Saturday walk along the river.

Hue probably won't start Mayfield regardless of who is better because his job is on the line and he will rather go with a vet than rookie for wins. And I get that.

That aside, Taylor isn't great. I didn't like forking over a 3rd rounder to get him. He's alright and think he is good QB, but not giddy about what we gave up for him.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

All things considered a third for TT is not a bad deal.

He was a starting QB on a team that went to the playoffs.

He is still young and has a winning record in the NFL. A third round pick might not make a team. Usually if they do make the team (depending upon position) they don't start.

They are players you hope will develop into starters.

Look around the league and see what backup quarterbacks make. Foles won a Super Bowl and would have been a starter if traded. It would have cost a lot more than a third rounder to get Foles.

So Taylor for a third rounder no problem even if he becomes a backup.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
So Taylor for a third rounder no problem even if he becomes a backup.

I disagree. AND the fact we'll only have him for one year as a starter (most likely, considering we drafted Baker to start sooner than later) adds to that, in my opinion. AND it was clear as day Buffalo wanted nothing to do with him anymore seems to me (although I do not know for a fact, of course) I bet we could have got him for cheaper.

Dorsey wanted a vet starter so he made sure he got one. I think it is as simple as that.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E

And there goes all the scrutiny yada yada you were stating as logic. This is where the Agenda comes in. TT is pretty good. He would be the starter over rookies, Darnold, Rosen and Allen just like he is over BM until it is proven that they can prove to be the better option to WIN.

So the Agenda part comes in with that ridiculous statement about BM should beat out TT cause he ain't that good, if not BM basically is a bust (not said but implied).

All that list of possibly problems that BM has, yeah we know his height is closer to Aaron Rodgers than Big Ben.

Character, that is an out right miss interpretation, unless you're saying that our FO and Coaching staff are way inferior to you cause they have stated that the straw in the decision of taking BM #1 was his CHARACTER. So that is agenda speak snuck in with some valid points. For tricky...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Dorsey wanted a vet starter...

I'm sure that is what he wanted as they must feel that they have to win a few games early. I agree that it is likely that TT is only a one year starter but IMO, he is worth a 3rd round pick if he gives us a solid year of play...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thus far during his career Tyrod has been below average in terms of production in yards and TDs, and middle of the road in terms of wins. He takes a couple sacks per game, holds on to the ball too long, and struggles in red zone, length of field, and third and long situations.

All that under his previous situation.

He now has the opportunity to thrive in an aggressive system tuned to his skill set, with a top tier corps of WRs, TEs, and RBs, under an experienced group of innovative, offensive coaches. He has the benefit of playing with and against a quality defense. He has a solid work ethic. He has quality experience. It's possible he takes a leap forward, begins to quickly analyzes defenses, makes the right reads, and gets the ball to his playmakers in a timely and orderly fashion. I'm almost 100% certain he and Hailey are working on that very thing. This could be a great year for Tyrod.

If not, it's Mayfield's team by game 8.

IMO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
He hasn't been a starter his entire career. He has Progressed forward and there is no indication that the progress has peaked. Is he a HOF guy, not what I'm saying. But he has "PROGRESSED" and he took a team to the playoffs that had no reason to be going. He never had the weapons that he apparently has here. The production he had was in lieu of STATS how bout what he did to win games and I guess in a lot of occasions NOT LOSE GAMES.

This is a totally different situation, weapons coaching staff that will taylor to his positives. I agree with you 100% different situation than he has been in and the good news is that TT has been getting better with each season. He should do well. Once the season starts, possibly BM could start but that is a hard situation cause once the season starts usually there is a commitment to the QB and the preparation is not an environment for competition. So only Injury or failure would in turn give BM the opportunity to become our starter.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
only Injury or failure would in turn give BM the opportunity to become our starter.

Agreed. thumbsup

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah once the season starts...the environment for competition has ended. This goes with just about all positions. There are a few that are rotational so that one can still over pass another. But not at QB. At that point I hope not to see BM as much as I believe in him and as much as I will have to have silly discussions on why he is not a bust...lol laugh I would prefer us to be WINNING with TT.

If BM gets the starting position it will have to be done during training camp and preseason. But that will be a tremendous mountain to climb only cause TT is going to do well!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

T
Legend
Legend
T

Okay, but the billion dollar question is When!
When is the right time?

When is the right time, and When has it been too long and When is it that it was too soon?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree, I hope we don't need to see Baker. Based on work ethic and surrounding talent alone, we shouldn't need to. I would much rather see Baker step on the field a year or two down the road as a somewhat "crafty" veteran.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Okay, but the billion dollar question is When!
When is the right time?

When is the right time, and When has it been too long and When is it that it was too soon?

Folks make this way to COMPLICATED ... way to COMPLICATED ....

- We have TT witch means NO NEED TO RUSH BAKER ... this gives us the luxury to wait til BAKERS READY ... TT is competent and won’t LOSE GAMES FOR US ...

- we have TT witch also means that when BAKER IS READY he should be put in ... TT is not near good enough to hold Baker off ONCE HE’S READY ... Baker may not be this year but thats another discussion ...

The only other variable here is if we start off 4 - 2 or sumptin like that and we don’t want to mess with the chemistry ...

TT is going to improve here ... with the supporting cast and coaching here there’s no doubt in my mind .... just not enough IMO to have him playing so well we can’t put Baker in when he’s ready ... is it possible he turns into an above average QB ... sure ... is it likely ... HELL NO ...

And one general comment ...

I’m sick of reading he took the Jill’s to the playoffs ... NO HE DIDN’T .. the D and one Shady dude were the reasons they went to the playoffs ...

There’s a HUGE DIFFERENCE between a QB leading his team to the playoffs and being the QB on a team that makes the playoffs ...

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Report: Baker Not ready to compete with Tyrod

Link Copied to Clipboard