Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
L
Legend
Legend
L
I agree with you and arch. When I see multiple scouting reports that say a WR has trouble catching the ball, I don't want that guy.

I want a WR that can catch the freaking ball.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
edromeo #1473405 07/10/18 10:59 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Originally Posted By: FATE
https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/06/cleveland-browns-film-room-antonio-callaway-weaknesses/

"Callaway can make the spectacular catches, but he struggles to be consistent catching the ball. In his two seasons at Florida, he has 10 drops, according to Pro Football Focus. Pro Football Focus also states that of the 61 catchable passes in 2016, Callaway dropped seven passes for an 11.48% drop rate. His hands are just not consistent."
I agree every WR needs to lower their drop rate.
But 11% isn't the end of the world. There have been some really good receivers with drop rates in that same range and Callaway can make up for it with thee 'spectacular' catch that other receiver can't/dont make.

Yes and not all drops can be attributed to the receives hands.

Callaway's drops where not because of having bad hands, he has natural hands, with proper placement for a WR.

A fact that I illustrated in the Draft thread.

I'm not concerned with his 'football' abilities.

I think that he could stud out, ... But the choice is up to him.
I hope that he makes the right one.

Besides he can retire before he is 40 and have the rest of his life to partake in the green herb.

[Linked Image]

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
May I ask who has written off Calloway?

Pro Football Focus also states that of the 61 catchable passes in 2016, Callaway dropped seven passes for an 11.48% drop rate. His hands are just not consistent."

□^

FL_Dawg #1473413 07/10/18 11:06 PM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/06/cleveland-browns-film-room-antonio-callaway-weaknesses/

"Callaway can make the spectacular catches, but he struggles to be consistent catching the ball. In his two seasons at Florida, he has 10 drops, according to Pro Football Focus. Pro Football Focus also states that of the 61 catchable passes in 2016, Callaway dropped seven passes for an 11.48% drop rate. His hands are just not consistent."
But 11% isn't the end of the world. There have been some really good receivers with drop rates in that same range and Callaway can make up for it with thee 'spectacular' catch that other receiver can't/dont make.

Callaway's drops where not because of having bad hands, he has natural hands, with proper placement for a WR.

Besides he can retire before he is 40 and have the rest of his life to partake in the green herb.
If not for his off the field some scouts considered him one of the best WRs in the draft.

edromeo #1473424 07/10/18 11:14 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have no idea if Calloway has good or bad hands. I don't like the stat thing because we all saw last year how terrible the sites were at judging dropped passes. I started a thread about it. We all say 6-7 drops. The sites said 1 drop.

They're BS stats.

I'll tell you whether the guy can catch or not early on after I see him.

edromeo #1473426 07/10/18 11:15 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

If not for his off the field some scouts considered him one of the best WRs in the draft.

I agree with that, but to be perfectly honest, (being a Gator fan) I never considered that we might be the team to take the gamble on him in the Draft.

The 4th round selection was well worth the gamble imo.

Talent wise Callaway could be the best weapon @WR in the class, because he also adds a dimension in the return game.

[Linked Image]

edromeo #1473514 07/11/18 07:54 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
How do u make up for a drop? ... after u make the spectacular catch do they re-wind the clock and give u another chance to make the catch that cost u the first down on the previous series?

How many spectacular catches does Coleman have to make to “make up for” the drop against Pitt in the last game last year? ... will 1 spectacular catch make up for it ... will it take 2, 3 or 4 ...

How many drops does a spectacular catch on a 3rd and 17 when u gained 11 yards on the play make up for? ...

Guys with “questionable” hands don’t stick cause they can make spectacular catches they stick cause there ATHELETIC FREAKS and/or they can RUN LIKE THE WIND .. there kept around cause of their UNIQUE PLAYMAKING ABILITY not cause they make “spectacular” catches ...

Guys in the mold of Ricardo Louis are drafted every year cause of their “athletic ability” ... that dude can’t catch at all ... look at Hayward-Bey ... he’s footballs version of a left handed piitcher ... hes had a long career cause he can run fast ... if he could catch he’d be a STUD ...

Guys with questionable hands stick cause there PLAY MAKERS not cause there capable of making great catches ...

edromeo #1473515 07/11/18 08:00 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think its a bit early to right off Calloway or any receiver as having 'questionable hands' based soley on a 11% drop rate. But to each their own.

The list of receivers who have posted that drop rate (and worse) is a really good list that would include guys like Wes Welker.

I’ll take your word on this as i am not a STAT guy ... Wes Walker had GREAT HANDS IMO ...

And my above rant was not writing Calloway off ... i have NO CLUE about this kid ... i dont judge til i see them with my own eyes ... i trust my eyes MORE THAN STATS or what the talking heads say ... there’s 2 or 3 posters i trust way more than the talking heads ... believe it or not i respect your opinion a hell of a lot on most topics ... .

And if there a body catcher they can LEARN TO CATCH with there hands ... theres also some technical things that can be corrected ... like say .... PALMS UP ... thumbsup .... wink ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
j/c:

I've never been a fan of receivers who don't have good hands. I feel the same way about QBs who are inaccurate or have trouble reading coverages.

On the other hand, the reason I love Landry so much is the dude has world-class hands.

I want nuttin to do with WR’s that CAN’T CATCH THE F’N BALL .....

Thats why I LOVE ME SOME JARVIS LANDRY .... he knows how to CATCH THE F’N BALL ... thumbsup

FL_Dawg #1473519 07/11/18 08:10 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
What do u attribute the drops too sir? ... love to know what to watch for when i do get my eyes on the young man ... up til recently i just watched to see if they caught everything and when they didn’t my technical knowledge consisted of do they “fight” with the ball or do they have natural soft hands ... like when i watched all Chubbs 5 catches last year ... *LOL* .... I LOVED how soft his hands were (its like the ball melts into them) and how naturally he caught it ..

Today I technically know a smidge more ... i learned PALMS UP ... hoping the dawg that taught me that will teach me some more ... wink

DiamDawg #1473527 07/11/18 08:42 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Extend your arms above your head at about a 45 degree angle from your shoulders.

Now, w/the back side of your hands closest to your face, point both thumbs toward one another. Rotate your wrists slightly inward so your index fingers move closer together. You will see a triangle being formed.

That is how to catch a football. Do it once or twice and you can get your hands in that position w/out even thinking about it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Obviously, your hand placement is different depending on where the ball is. For example, a low pass changes things. Here is a link and I want you to look at the photograph on the bottom right. It's a pic of what I was talking about.

https://goo.gl/images/fgwbG2

cfrs15 #1473551 07/11/18 09:37 AM
Legend
Legend
It also doesn't hurt to have gigantic hands, as Landry does. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
So, just wondering. Great stuff here for high and low catches, which is taught and practiced.
And good "teach", Vets!

Are we actively teaching the on-handed stab catch? Or is it just in the realm of the rare and exotic circus catch anomaly? We are seeing more of it. Remember "practicing sideline curb catching with friends as a kid. Is this the new wave? Incredible to watch, but is it teachable?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
I've been out of coaching for a long time, so I don't know if they are teaching the one-handed stab catch. I kinda doubt it. LOL

It's probably more of a thing where guys practice it on their own.

FATE #1473575 07/11/18 10:18 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Got to watch more tape on him...If he is a bobbler then that is no good but if its a concentration thing that can be worked on and improvement would be there. Thanks for the info. Bobbler, Quincy Morgan was a bobbler. almost all passes would hit his hands and bounce also Greg Little was a bobbler.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thanks ... dont have time to check it out now but i will tonight ... looking forward to it ...

That triangle thing ... as soon as i read it and did it ... i remembered that every time i see a reciever catching a ball from the jugs gun .... when they always “square” to the machine and the jugs machine is firing them at their chest .. i remember seeing that triangle from the reciever almost every single time ...

Thanks again .. looking forward to checking out the link tonight ...

eotab #1473664 07/11/18 12:28 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
Got to watch more tape on him...If he is a bobbler then that is no good but if its a concentration thing that can be worked on and improvement would be there. Thanks for the info. Bobbler, Quincy Morgan was a bobbler. almost all passes would hit his hands and bounce also Greg Little was a bobbler.

jmho

Video I've seen doesn't show anything too concerning. Classic cases of thinking about your next move before you've secured the ball and a couple of "bobble-drops". It happens. It's mostly an eye test thing for me, until there is enough of a sample size and you can see a WR consistently has suspect hands. Eye test says no big deal - just an area to work on. Again, we're talking about the kid's only weakness.

Besides stealing credit cards and smokin' dope lol.

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/4/...nt-on-the-field

"Drops - One area where Callaway does struggle are with drops. His drop rate during his final year in Gainesville was 12.24 according to Pro Football Focus. For reference, that would have been one of the highest in this year’s class.

Most of the drops weren’t contested situations either. He has to concentrate through the duration to prevent any drops. He’s shown the ability to track and concentrate on deep throws, so this shouldn’t be anything too concerning."

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Well, if your hand size makes you forget the fundamentals, then yes...

Best case I can remember, and I know I'll take heat from this one is Njoku.

I actually think Njoku has some problems catching the ball because of his 10' had size and forgetting the fundamentals....

He is working on it and improving though, always a good sign.

DiamDawg #1473695 07/11/18 01:38 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's just a picture, Diam. Not a video or even an article.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just curious, how is 10" hand size a negative???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1474002 07/12/18 12:29 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

It is difficult for guys with giant hands to shoot free throws in those charity basketball games he will surely play in. So there's that.

eotab #1474005 07/12/18 12:35 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

I think he's just saying that Njokue over relies on their hand size and forget the fundamentals of catching a ball.

I was curious, DeAndre Hopkins has 10 inch hands. He's probably the most sure handed WR in the NFL.

CHSDawg #1474059 07/12/18 03:22 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thats a good one ... who has the best hands ... damm ... good one ... gotta chew on that for awhile ...

I’ll say one thing for sure ... he has the biggest catch radius and i dont think its even close ... that dude’s arms are long as hell he has great hand/eye coordination, is a hell of an athelete and he catches everything even one handed ....

I was debating on getting the ticket this year ... i think i may now so i can watch all the games and see who i believe had the best hands in the 18 season ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Obviously, your hand placement is different depending on where the ball is. For example, a low pass changes things. Here is a link and I want you to look at the photograph on the bottom right. It's a pic of what I was talking about.

https://goo.gl/images/fgwbG2

Thanks for the link ... it didnt take as long as i thought it would ... *L* ...

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

Well, if your hand size makes you forget the fundamentals, then yes...

Best case I can remember, and I know I'll take heat from this one is Njoku.

I actually think Njoku has some problems catching the ball because of his 10' had size and forgetting the fundamentals....

He is working on it and improving though, always a good sign.

I just don't get it.

Receiver. In the NFL. You've played football for, what, some 10 plus years? And you need to learn how to catch a football?

DiamDawg #1474077 07/12/18 04:40 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Larry Fitz has the best hands and body control I have seen, IMHO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's not just catching the football. Well, it is, but it isn't. At this level, you're not just running your route and getting open and catching the ball. WR's are watching the defender covering them (technique & leverage) and reading the overall D, so that they can get open. Then the QB has to be on the same page. A lot of the time, the ball is thrown before the intended receiver makes his break. It's also not just playing pitch and catch in the backyard-the ball gets on you fast in the NFL. Those radar gun numbers at the combine aren't just for show.

One must both process fast and focus, while also not hurrying and getting ahead of one's self. There are also lurking enforcers to worry/not worry about.

There's a good bit of the mental side of things going on at the NFL level. Most of them have the "physical" part down pretty well, but there are a lot of moving parts going on around that process... and they're moving really fast.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hammer #1474084 07/12/18 05:02 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Hammer

Ohhh man ... love me some Fitz ...

He’d definetly have to be in the convo today even though he’s at the back end of his career ...

I LOVE watching that man play ... i think I’m gonna love watching Jarvis play more cause ... well .. u know ... *L* ...

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

A
Legend
Legend
A
Thanks.

Neat and all, but 'catching' the ball was being discussed, and we even had a picture showing how to do it.

That was what my post was in reference to.

DiamDawg #1474109 07/12/18 07:35 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I watch so many NFL games that I'm embarrassed to admit the number. But, I tape a ton of games and watch some of those on Tues, Wed, and Friday nights.

In my opinion, these WRs have the best hands I have seen in recent years. I'm not going to put them in order. Too subjective and I don't like being inaccurate.

Fitz is one. Large catch radius.

Marvin Jones is another. Dude isn't big, but he soars and makes some of toughest high-point catches I have ever seen.

Antonio Brown has the unique ability to work his hands and feet together. No one is better at this.

Our own Jarvis Landry has strong hands and snatches passes out of the air.

His college teammate, Odell Beckham Jr has incredible hands. Similar to Landry. I know people don't like him, but he can catch.

Doug Baldwin has great hands. He is another guy who can coordinate his feet w/his hands very well on the sidelines.

Jeremy Maclin is steady as can be. He might not be sensational, but he doesn't drop the ball.

I am probably leaving some dudes out, but those are the guys that pop into my mind.

Legend
Legend
Julio Jones can do it all. He is, quite likely, the best WR I have ever seen.

*Sigh* And we had the chance to draft him. banghead

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Julio Jones can do it all. He is, quite likely, the best WR I have ever seen.

*Sigh* And we had the chance to draft him. banghead

Julio Jones through his first 49 games (2011-2014):

4330 yards, 26 TDs, 88 yards per game.

Jerry Rice through his first 44 games (1985-1987):

3575 yards, 40 TD, 81.3 yards per game

Randy Moss through his first 48 games (1998-2000):

4163 yards, 43 TDs, 86.7 yards per game

OBJ through his first 47 games (2014-2017):

4424 yards, 38 TDs, 94 yards per game

And just for fun:

Jarvis Landry through his first 48 games (2014-2016):

3051 yards, 13 TDs, 63.6 yards per game

Josh Gordon through his first 40 games (2012-2017):

3089 yards, 15 TDs, 77.2 yards per game

Notes:

Jones and OBJ both missed the majority of seasons.
Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Landry's stats only counted their first three seasons because they didn't miss any games.
Josh Gordon has only played 40 games in his entire career.

This exercise was meant to show how crazy good all of these guys (Jones, OBJ, Moss, and Rice) are, but I am blown away by Moss and OBJ.

We also had the chance to draft OBJ and passed on him (and Aaron Donald) to draft Justin Gilbert.

DiamDawg #1474187 07/13/18 01:48 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: Hammer

Ohhh man ... love me some Fitz ...

He’d definetly have to be in the convo today even though he’s at the back end of his career ...

I LOVE watching that man play ... i think I’m gonna love watching Jarvis play more cause ... well .. u know ... *L* ...

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He has 10 1/2" hands.

link

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1474188 07/13/18 01:51 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
This exercise was meant to show how crazy good all of these guys (Jones, OBJ, Moss, and Rice) are, but I am blown away by Moss and OBJ.

In all cases it has to be considered who the QB was throwing to them. It takes two to play catch.

#gmstrong
ddubia #1474189 07/13/18 02:25 AM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

In all cases it has to be considered who the QB was throwing to them. It takes two to play catch.

Jones has had Matt Ryan his whole career. OBJ has had Eli. I believe Moss had old Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Brad Johnson, and rookie Daunte Culpepper. Rice obviously had the best of the bunch. Landry has had Tannehill with a light sprinkling of Cutler and Matt Moore. Gordon did most of his damage with Weeden, Campbell, and Hoyer.

cfrs15 #1474190 07/13/18 04:17 AM
Legend
Legend
Gordon's QBs have almost literally been the worst I've ever seen.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
cfrs15 #1474194 07/13/18 06:14 AM
Legend
Legend

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Gordon's QBs have almost literally been the worst I've ever seen.

I think you have memory problems. I clearly remember Gordon tanking Hoyer's season and the team...

We have had one really bad QB in Kizer, the other were not great, some were average, and some were even good Qb's (Josh McCown) and Hoyer was really good on the good days, but very inconsistent.

Gordon had one good season in here...

Legend
Legend
Figuring out his routes at times bordered on chaos theory which compounded the QB issues.

If he is locked down tight, and has some above average WR play, with an OC calling plays that fit the people we have, and our upgraded weapons, we win some games. Can't be sure until we see it.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jarvis Landry

Link Copied to Clipboard