Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
cfrs15 #1475416 07/17/18 02:25 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I'm not sure that some quite comprehend our situation. I believe people should put themselves in the shoes of an NFL FA player. Now we all love our Browns, but let's face it, we're a pretty bias bunch.

If you're actually a FA player, you have an agent. No matter how we as fans feel about NFL agents, they certainly have a responsibility to the players in advising them on their career moves. Players also have desires with their lifestyle and the destination where they wish to play and reside.

Now as much as we fans don't like to admit it, unless a player has some strong ties to Cleveland, why in the world would that be a desirable destination for him? The great winter weather? A top 20 city destination in America? The R&R HOF?

And let's look at it from the perspective of a WR. Is it the great franchise QB we have in place that will help boost his stats to make him even more valuable in future contracts? Over the past 10 years has coming here or being drafted here really helped a WR?

We have Tyrod, who is a pretty average guy. We have some hope in Baker but that's certainly yet to be determined. There's no magnetic draw for players to come to Cleveland other than if we simply outbid other teams. Over the past two years we have been 1-31 in case anyone forgot. This is a do or die season for Hue. That's not what a FA would see as any sense of stability.

When you sign a FA, especially a high quality FA like Landry, as a general rule you're going to overpay. And if you're the Browns, until you establish stability and at least some amount of success, to get a quality FA, you're going to have to pay even more.

When there is competition to sign a FA, they consider the environment of where they're going. They consider the stability, the quality of QB and how much success a team is having. Those who think we're overpaying? You're right. But if we want to win, we need some quality FA's. And to get them to come to this city, at this time, you have to overpay until such time as the ship gets righted.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I saw what you did and so I also went thru the top 15 paid WR and Landry wasn't really close to any of them as far as yards per reception is concerned. He was probably 2-3 yards behind all of them.

Quarterback this, quarterback that, scheme here, scheme there, I get it. I still think a 112 catches and less than 1000 yards is alarming.

I understand the skewing of stats, but that's not what this is.

eotab #1475435 07/17/18 03:43 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: eotab

This is for Diam...Stats is for losers.

Candidate Diam approves this message ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:
As for all of the phantom salary cap concerns about affording both Landry and whomever...... it is NOT an issue.

I don't think it's good practice to believe since we have the money we might as well spend it.

I don't think I even remotely insinuated it is a good practice. I simply stated factually that his salary is a complete non-issue.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
But Duke could pretty much do the same things at a lesser price.

Which is not the same as actually doing what Landry can do - which Duke cannot and is not that.

Duke is very good, but he is NOT Landry and never will be, and unless he changes positions from RB to WR it is impossible for him to fill Landry's shoes because everytime he would line up behind the LoS, there would be a void where Landry is supposed to be.... and this simple fact is before you even begin to consider the differences in physical stature and actual ability.

They are different players and different skill sets, and Duke is great for us, but in no way, at all, ever, could he replace what Landry brings. Period.

For some reason you guys aren't following what I'm saying.

Whether one is a RB and one is a WR is irrelevant. I wouldn't ask him to be Landry. I wouldn't want him to be Landry. Heck, it was just last season when the reports were that the Browns were thinking about making Duke their slot receiver, and you guys are jumping all over me. Duke is probably one of the most underrated players in the league.

I've said over and over and over, I get why they went after someone who is supposedly the best slot receiver in the league. However, the Browns could have saved a boat load of money by utilizing Duke in a similar manner than signing Jarvis.

31 other teams don't have Jarvis Landry. And 12 of them made the playoffs last season... so having Landry isn't necessarily a guaranteed win.

I'm following what you're saying, but you're missing the point where if you put Duke into a position where he is doing what Landry would do, then you:

1. don't have Landry or anyone like him
2. don't have Duke as a threat for doing other Duke things

You've situationally lost BOTH skill sets to try to get one to do what the other does in your effort to pinch pennies.

What we DO have is Landry AND Duke and we can put them on the field together.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. Some look at the cap in fantasy terms. In bid leagues a guy might be valued at $14. Spending $25 on him is crazy in the minds of some.

In fantasy it might be, but this isn't fantasy....and I play in 5 fantasy leagues. Two free leagues with members on another board and 3 buy in leagues locally....$100 to $200 each, so I am not putting down fantasy . There is more than just luck involved. It's a fun game. I have several championships under the belt. Several poor finishers as well.

Just like a real GM, if you don't have back-ups who can fill in if you get hit by injury or anything else and you are searching the waiver wire, you are hurting.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
cfrs15 #1475547 07/17/18 11:13 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Jesus help us all.
Nitpicking about Landry, when he will be TT's good friend.
Those two will be tight. I don't care what we pay him, either. Our salary cap is not my problem.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
lampdogg #1475830 07/18/18 11:13 PM
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Originally Posted By: Plaindealer
Landry also digging the long Landry also digging the long ball

Landry, who started opposite Josh Gordon in two-receiver sets during minicamp, is eager to go deep more this season.

"Obviously I think being in this system with Todd Haley, he's going to give me opportunities to make more plays, different type of plays, plays downfield as well," he said. "I think that's going to show the complete receiver that I am.''

Landry, who started opposite Josh Gordon in two-receiver sets during minicamp, is eager to go deep more this season.

Plaindealer Article

You don’t get a player simply based on what he’s done. You get a player based on what you project that he can do. Tannehill wasn’t complaining that Landry was cutting off his routes guys lol... Landry was running the routes the coaches told him to run. Landry is going to have a record yards per catch year in my opinion.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BleedsOrange
Landry is going to have a record yards per catch year in my opinion.

Personal record or something else?

cfrs15 #1475835 07/18/18 11:29 PM
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: BleedsOrange
Landry is going to have a record yards per catch year in my opinion.

Personal record or something else?

Personal... not setting any NFL records lol.

cfrs15 #1475874 07/19/18 04:13 AM
Legend
Legend
in other words, Landry is saying he felt held back in Miami ... he was resigned to playing mostly underneath. I hope it's true and we can change that

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think he will catch a ton of deep passes w/Taylor at qb. However, he sure as heck got deep in college. He can go deep, but if you watched the video from NFL Network, you'll see how Miami used him. Lining a player up in the backfield does not lead to a high YPC.

I also think people are putting too much emphasis on deep patterns. You need them, but you can't live on them.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't think he will catch a ton of deep passes w/Taylor at qb. However, he sure as heck got deep in college. He can go deep, but if you watched the video from NFL Network, you'll see how Miami used him. Lining a player up in the backfield does not lead to a high YPC.

I also think people are putting too much emphasis on deep patterns. You need them, but you can't live on them.

I agree, however, JG is deadly underneath as well. Just the threat of being able to take the top off with multiple receivers is nearly as valuable as actually doing it on a consistent basis.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
cfrs15 #1475908 07/19/18 09:26 AM
Legend
Legend
I think Callaway will eventually be a really good deep threat. That's kind of been his MO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
reading through this thread I'm pretty surprised at the divide on Landry.. 3 time pro bowler, more catches than anyone in NFL history in his first 4 years, still in his prime, fills a need. I thought it was pretty unanimous that signing landry was a good thing. Surprised to hear to the contrary

Some guys you just can't please them...lol laugh

The vet Landry is in his prime and finally we got the best WR we have ever had since 1999. He is of the mold of AB I know many will take a shot at me. But as a WR that is who he reminds me of...AB is AB and there is no one quite like him.
But Landry is such a good route runner and has great hands. I think he lacks just a little speed which separates him from AB.
Still the best we have had here since 1999 and now we can combine that with Gordon an amazing talent in himself. Wow how can we improve a position group better. Excellent move.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1475915 07/19/18 09:42 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I’ve said more than once that Jarvis is AB minus a step ... now thats a HUGE STEP ... *L* ...

If Landry had AB’s speed he’d be a clone of AB ...

Just in case your not sure .. i’ll Clear it up for U and anyone else that may not know where i stand on the acquisition of one Jarvis Landry ..

I LOVE the move ... in case your wondering why ...

HE CATCHES THE F’NG BALL!!!!

Hope that clears things up ... rofl ...

Legend
Legend
I was reading an old scouting report on Landry, and Mike Mayock said that when he looked at college tape of Beckham, he couldn't tell which receiver was Landry, and which was Beckham without looking at the numbers.

Now that may be an exaggeration, but, like you, I think that Landry can do a whole lot more than he has had the opportunity to do in his 1st 4 seasons .... but Miami really needed him in the role they had him fill.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
cfrs15 #1475957 07/19/18 12:01 PM
Legend
Legend

D.Y.K.?

The wide receiver with the most single season receptions is currently on the roster? Josh Gordon with 87 in 2013.

I wonder if Landry even has a shot at that this year with all the weapons on offense? (Man, it feels good to say that!)

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1476011 07/19/18 01:56 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FATE

D.Y.K.?

The wide receiver with the most single season receptions is currently on the roster? Josh Gordon with 87 in 2013.

I wonder if Landry even has a shot at that this year with all the weapons on offense? (Man, it feels good to say that!)

Hopefully not.

CHSDawg #1476021 07/19/18 02:39 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I hope so ... if were going to be succesful on O we need him making a bunch of catches like he did in Miami .. he EXCELS at the underneath stuff ... its a SKILL ... and his skill set along with his knowledge makes him a perfect fit for that ... and its what Taylor does best ...

I do expect Landry to be a 1st down machine ... I also expect him to be a bigger factor in the intermediate routes and the deeper stuff ... he THRIVES underneath ... someone mentioned earlier JG is good underneath and can take it to the house ... well i agree he can take it to the house on any given play ... but he is not a “good” underneath guy ... not even close to Landry’s level of play underneath ... thats not a slam on JG ... its just not who he is ...

Duke’s the one I hope to see his catch numbers go down .. IMO that will be a good thing ...

I also expect ALOT MORE PLAYS to be run on O .. so although there’s only 1 ball that ball will be put in play more for us than the last couple years cause our O is better and will sustain more drives and our D is also better to get the O on the field quicker ...

DiamDawg #1476095 07/19/18 06:10 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
YEah, I feel that we want him to do well. But I'm not sure if our offense will be in good hands with 87 receptions. We have so much talent on this offense that we shouldn't be looking to feed just one person. Someone will be getting open every play, Tyrod just needs to hit the open guy. Whether that's JG, JL, Duke, NJoku, Coleman, etc., etc. That's all I'm trying to say.

CHSDawg #1476098 07/19/18 06:16 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
The thing is..........those other guys [other than Duke] are likely to drop it. Landry won't.

I can almost guarantee that he is going to have a huge year in regards to receptions. I also think Landry's production will result in some big play opportunities for Josh, provided Taylor throws the ball on time.

I'm not knocking your opinion, but we just see it a bit differently. No big deal.

cfrs15 #1476101 07/19/18 06:24 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Yeah, you're right. Landry will have a lot of big play opportunities going against #2 CBs. We really are deadly this year.

CHSDawg #1476103 07/19/18 06:29 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

cfrs15 #1476105 07/19/18 06:36 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
A couple things that don't get talked about often with Landry (I think vers mentioned these right after we traded for Jarvis): he's physically tough and a willing, effective blocker.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B

I agree. The days of the Mad Bomber or over. You still have to layer your routes to give it some stretch, but most passes these days are of the short variety....higher percentage.

I like to see big gains as much as anybody, but I love to see 4 yard gains on a regular basis....first down!

The game of football is all about moving the chains and not giving the ball away. We should know that! We have watched teams move the chains multiple times a series, and watched us not.

That equals losing football games.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
CHSDawg #1476165 07/19/18 10:44 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Good stuff dawg ... love the back and forth and exchange of ideas on how things could play out ... its dead time ... lets have some fun ... at least i think its fun ...*L* ... lets break it down ....

First question is how many plays did we run last year and how many more plays are we going to run this year ... not sure what last years number was ... but this years should go up for a couple reasons ....

- were gonna miss joe but were still a much much better offensive team ... were going to get more first downs and have longer drives .... were going to run more plays than last year ... question is by how many ....

- our D is going to be better ... not sure if our injuries could have come to worse players on D ... other than Kirksey they were basically our top players ... crap ... if any 3 guys in the secondary got hurt i’m Not sure we have noticed .... thats how bad the secondary was ...

So there should be more touches on O ....

Now ... those extra touches will also result in more running plays .... hopefully anyhow ... that’ll be dictated by the score so hopefully we run it A TON ....

Man ... just thinking of the numbers Vers posted that showed last years recieving yards ... when i think of how much we threw the ball its hard to fathom how the top 3 recieving yard totals were that low ... it seems impossible .. but naaa, we did it .... *L* ...

Anyhow .. were gonna run a lot more plays and run a lot more ... but there will also be a ton of receptions to go around ...

Taylor also loves the underneath stuff ...

I really see Landry having a HUGE YEAR as far as # of catches and catches for first downs ...

Man .. this has a shot to be really fun guys ... i mean really fun ... my imagination is just running so wild ....

With the running game with Hyde, Chubb and Duke ... and Duke a threat out of the backfield ... and u know what ... Duke may benifit the most from Landry ... they will pay less attention to Duke than last year ... they have too .. but then again ... Landry is so good even Bilicheck couldn’t stop him when thats what he game planned for and then was the most panicked i’ve Ever seen him on the sidelines ... *L* ... that was a GREAT VID Vers ...

And then .. oh by the way ..... SAY HELLO TO MYT FRIEND JOSH .....

OH MY ....

What an easy sell this must have been to Haley ... the sales pitch would have been my lead and it would of been about a 30 second pitch that closed itself ..

Coach Haley ... Hue Jackson here ... I’d like u to be my O-coordinator cause i love how u scheme for your talent and i think we could do great things together .... you’ll have control but i know your opened minded and we will work great together with u as the captain ....

The plan is to go get Tyrod for one of our PLETHORA of draft picks .... were gonna take a QB at #1 ... you’ll be 100% involved every step of the way with John making the final decision ....

Were gonna go get Jarvis Landry .... u know what Josh can do and U played against Njoku twice last year ...

Then were gonna try and bring in a vet RB .... and were gonna draft one with at 33 or 35 ... BTW do u know any FA guys that may be able to handle RT for us ...

What do u say Todd ..

Man ... this could break so many ways .... this could be so much fun ...

Its gonna be a really wierd feeling thinking we actually have a shot to win every game ... I CAN’T WAIT ...

OK ... your turn ... please be shorter than me guys ... *L* ...

Crap .. i gotta say ....

MR. LANDRY CAN CATCH THE GOSH DARN BALL!!!!!!!!!!!

D
Legend
Legend
D
I’m cautiously optomistic about the deep ball ... especially to Josh ... he can outrun some bad passes ... no BS ... correct? ....

But here’s the thing ... the one year in Buffalo Watkins was healthy ... he caught a bunch of long bombs for td’s ...i’m Not 100% sure TT was the qb that year though ... *L* ... I’m about 84% sure ....

Let your imagination run wild and tell me how u se the O breaking down ... nuttin else to talk about ... unless u wanna go chat with your posse ... naughtydevil ...

DiamDawg #1476172 07/19/18 11:01 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I ain't buying the Haley stuff, bro. LOL. Dude needed a job and he got control of an O. [I'm saying this in a light-hearted way.]

I think we didn't run the ball as much last year for several reasons:

1. We were often behind and were forced to pass.
2. Teams stacked the LOS to stop the run and dared us to pass.
3. We didn't want to put Kizer into poor down and distance situations. For example....run on 1st down and gain a yard. Run on 2nd down and gain 2 yards. Putting Kizer in 3rd and long is asking for a turnover.

I think that having Taylor instead of Kizer is the reason why we will run more this year. Also, having Landry and Gordon for a full year is far scarier to D's than Louis and Coleman. That's it. Nothing else. And I don't care what the Hue Hate Club says. That's it. Taylor isn't all that great, but teams will respect him more than they did Kizer. And they sure as hell will respect Landry and Gordon.

I still worry about Taylor not getting the ball to his receivers in a timely manner. I worry about him holding the ball and running too much. However, he isn't going to be nearly as bad as Kizer was last year.

DiamDawg #1476173 07/19/18 11:05 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I’m cautiously optomistic about the deep ball ... especially to Josh ... he can outrun some bad passes ... no BS ... correct? ....

But here’s the thing ... the one year in Buffalo Watkins was healthy ... he caught a bunch of long bombs for td’s ...i’m Not 100% sure TT was the qb that year though ... *L* ... I’m about 84% sure ....

Let your imagination run wild and tell me how u se the O breaking down ... nuttin else to talk about ... unless u wanna go chat with your posse ... naughtydevil ...

LOL....

I think you're right, but there is more to the story.

Taylor can throw a really nice deep ball. He puts air under it and is pretty accurate on bombs. He hit guys like Watkins and Woods on some beautiful bombs.

The concern is that he waits until they break wide open before he releases it. That results in sacks or him leaving the pocket and running.

His accuracy problems occur mostly in the intermediate to deep intermediate range. He throws a lot of balls out of bounds. Think Seneca Wallace.

I know you lived in Rochester. I'm guessing your take isn't too far off from mine. What say you?

cfrs15 #1476175 07/19/18 11:30 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I’d say thats a fair assessment ... i almost added but even josh cant get the ones he throws out of bounds .... *L* ...

I been down here the last two football seasons ... but i watched every snap he took up til last year and saw all but two games worth this year ...

In Buffalo he had 3 or 4 games where he was pretty bad .. stinkers ... eggs ... in 4 or 5 games u didnt even notice him ... u wondered what happend .... he did nothing good or bad ... another 4 or 5he was OK ... no negative plays and he made a few good plays ... then he’d have a few he was real good in ... Studley ...

Then there was last year ... he didn’t do much .... McCoy carried that O ....

TT is way better than Kizer ... not even close ... hes not all that but he’s never led an O like this ....

He does throw a nice deep ball ... cautiously optomistic ...

I never really noticed him holding it too long on the bombs .. doesnt mean he didnt ... just means i didnt notice ...

If he does ... josh will get open quicker than Woods did by a lifetime and quicker than Watkins did also ... wink ...

Woods is underrated ... he’s pretty good ... a poor mans Jarvis Landry ... thumbsup

DiamDawg #1476176 07/19/18 11:37 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm a pretty big fan of Woods. Very underrated guy.

I think Taylor waits until the dude breaks open and then he throws it. That was my point. Are you saying he only does that on intermediate and short throws? Legit question. You have me second-guessing myself.

Legend
Legend

I still worry about Taylor not getting the ball to his receivers in a timely manner. I worry about him holding the ball and running too much. However, he isn't going to be nearly as bad as Kizer was last year.

The thing about this right here is that the perfect medicine for a QB that is holding the ball too long, which cue a defense to pin its ears back and get after him, is a WR that can run great routes, get open and has fantastic hands. The proverbial Possession Receiver.... and, we have a guy named Landry that can and will fill that role.

Yeah, everything still has to work out and the guys still have to take what we can all dream up on paper and actually do it.... but, the parts are there.

TT holds the ball? Ok, let's get him an outlet he can trust.

Browns is the Browns

CHSDawg #1476186 07/20/18 03:30 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
We really are deadly this year.

Compared to the last few years, we really are deadly this year.

Fixed that for you buddy thumbsup

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
DiamDawg #1476195 07/20/18 08:11 AM
Legend
Legend
Nice read! But there we go again, TC coming up and I feel the stirrings of fan Hope for the Land again. I am encouraged and excited to see us better ourselves, especially this season.
But I get my heart broken. Maybe this year will be different! If not , well, then next year . . . .

Browns fans know the Truth: "It is better to have loved and lost . . . ."

We have done both.

Go Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Nice read! But there we go again, TC coming up and I feel the stirrings of fan Hope for the Land again. I am encouraged and excited to see us better ourselves, especially this season.
But I get my heart broken. Maybe this year will be different! If not , well, then next year . . . .

We have done both.

Go Browns!

Temper that with realistic expectations... I'd say the high water mark for us is still only five wins this year. That's still a LOT better than the last several years combined.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
But I get my heart broken. Maybe this year will be different! If not , well, then next year W8 4 Nxt Yr Again. . . .

We have done both.

Go Browns!
smile shocked laugh

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

We will be running a ton of RPOs. Haley ran more than, I think, anyone with the Steelers and it's what Tyrod Taylor (and Baker Mayfield) do best.

cfrs15 #1476481 07/20/18 04:31 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

We will be running a ton of RPOs. Haley ran more than, I think, anyone with the Steelers and it's what Tyrod Taylor (and Baker Mayfield) do best.
yep, it was the plan obviously

Legend
Legend
You own this LOL!

Kudos for the tag.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jarvis Landry

Link Copied to Clipboard