Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
He is under contract for this year and next year IIRC

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
He is under contract for this year and next year IIRC

Restricted free agent next year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I get what you guys are saying, but you are looking at it logically and rationally. That's not how the national media and certain fans think.

Look at some of the guys on this board who are constantly trying to campaign to get Hue fired and/or are bad-mouthing Dorsey's moves.

I've been around long enough to know how these things work. The negativity usually leads to firings.

I think this team is better than it has been in years, but we have people out there that hell-bent on blowing things up again.

I think it would be an epic mistake to fire guys and turn on the FO. But, I'm smart enough to know that it will happen.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

How can you have two sets of rules and expect your players to buy in?

Dorsey seems to be the first GM that's going to expect the same set of rules for everyone on the roster and I for one think it's way past time for it.

Absolutely.

Old pal Michael Lombardi is now a contributor with The Athletic and wrote a piece on Josh Gordon today that speaks to your point.

Here's an excerpt.....

Throughout Gordon’s entire playing career, there have been two sets of rules for every team he has been a part of — one set for him, and one set for the others. When I was in Cleveland the one year with Gordon, he was aloof, distant and was on his program. He never took part in special teams practice, never ran scout team reps, never did any extra conditioning or hung around the facility fine-tuning his craft. He was immensely talented, and that carried him. That will not be the case with Belichick. If Gordon slips up just once, the Patriots will have no problem cutting him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't see meathead sticking with the Pats for long. He will mess up. Just a matter of time. He may have a great year this season. He certainly has the talent. But he will eventually mess up again. It is his nature. He's a loser.

That we got a fifth-round pick for him is amazing. I thought there would be no way in the world we'd get more than a conditional seventh.

Last edited by Spiritbro77; 09/18/18 09:07 PM.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Because we are cleveland, I have no doubt this move will come back to haunt us over and over ....its just how it is for us

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c

Dorsey seems to be the first GM that's going to expect the same set of rules for everyone on the roster and I for one think it's way past time for it.

Absolutely.

Old pal Michael Lombardi is now a contributor with The Athletic and wrote a piece on Josh Gordon today that speaks to your point.

Here's an excerpt.....

Throughout Gordon’s entire playing career, there have been two sets of rules for every team he has been a part of — one set for him, and one set for the others. When I was in Cleveland the one year with Gordon, he was aloof, distant and was on his program. He never took part in special teams practice, never ran scout team reps, never did any extra conditioning or hung around the facility fine-tuning his craft. He was immensely talented, and that carried him. That will not be the case with Belichick. If Gordon slips up just once, the Patriots will have no problem cutting him.

Can't have a guy on your team who believes the team rules do not apply to him.

Since Lombardi was here we had heard many times how Gordon has turned over a new leaf and the old Gordon, described by Lombardi, is now history.

Well, seems that the old Gordon, described by Lombardi, appeared again recently and the lack of appreciation for another chance was just too much for Hue and Dorsey.

Can't win with a guy that believes he is so special that the team rules do not apply to him. Gordon will not last long in NE...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

With that said, the trade could make us look very bad. If any organization can get Josh to turn it around, it's NE. It's not just BB, but it's also all the vets they have on the team who already by in. And none of those guys are bigger than Tom Brady. Who the hell isn't going to listen to him?

Josh could flourish there and the national media will roast us. Many of our own fans will roast us.

But how likely is it, really, that Josh Gordon will undergo a complete personality transplant and become a hardworking, dedicated, team-first player who learns his playbook, his route trees, and runs tight, crisp routes?

For six years, Josh Gordon was enabled by the Cleveland Browns. The Browns enabled his selfishness, his aloofness, his petulance, his lollygagging, his excuses, his lies, and so on and so on and so on. These incredibly bad and self-destructive habits are now deeply ingrained into Josh's character. (More so - this atrocious behavior goes back to college and likely high school. Josh has been a coddled, selfish jerk for over a decade now.)

But now... Josh Gordon goes to the Patriots and has to abide by the Patriots Way. He has to show up on time, learn his playbook, work hard, run actual routes, be accountable, responsible, disciplined, and dedicated.

Josh Gordon has never done any of these things in his life. Indeed, his stubbornness to avoid doing these things is nothing short of stunning.

Can people change their behavior and even their fundamental personality? Yes. But does it happen often or quickly? No. Not at all.

Versatile, you're a coach. You've seen the truth of this. It is very likely that Josh Gordon will fail with the Patriots.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: AaigSuckinDawg

With that said, the trade could make us look very bad. If any organization can get Josh to turn it around, it's NE. It's not just BB, but it's also all the vets they have on the team who already by in. And none of those guys are bigger than Tom Brady. Who the hell isn't going to listen to him?

Josh could flourish there and the national media will roast us. Many of our own fans will roast us.

But how likely is it, really, that Josh Gordon will undergo a complete personality transplant and become a hardworking, dedicated, team-first player who learns his playbook, his route trees, and runs tight, crisp routes?

For six years, Josh Gordon was enabled by the Cleveland Browns. The Browns enabled his selfishness, his aloofness, his petulance, his lollygagging, his excuses, his lies, and so on and so on and so on. These incredibly bad and self-destructive habits are now deeply ingrained into Josh's character. (More so - this atrocious behavior goes back to college and likely high school. Josh has been a coddled, selfish jerk for over a decade now.)

But now... Josh Gordon goes to the Patriots and has to abide by the Patriots Way. He has to show up on time, learn his playbook, work hard, run actual routes, be accountable, responsible, disciplined, and dedicated.

Josh Gordon has never done any of these things in his life. Indeed, his stubbornness to avoid doing these things is nothing short of stunning.

Can people change their behavior and even their fundamental personality? Yes. But does it happen often or quickly? No. Not at all.

Versatile, you're a coach. You've seen the truth of this. It is very likely that Josh Gordon will fail with the Patriots.

We all made excuses for him. Why ? Because we all wanted to see that talent, that potential, on the field for our team. I doubt if anyone will ever see that talent realized, and that's a pity. It is what it is...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He may succeed in NE but that is probably the only place he could because of BB and the Patriots way. I doubt it could ever happen here. Lord knows our Browns tried; for SIX YEARS!!!!!

V
Legend
Legend
V
No, it is not likely. However, if there is any one team that can turn him around, it's NE because of the culture they have established.

The Pats have taken shots on guys w/character issues in the past. Some pan out, like Moss and Corey Dillon. Others do not, like K2, Britt, Floyd, Hernandez, etc

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I agree. If Gordon does turn it around in NE we are going to see alot of people walking around with there hindsight 20/20 vision. Complaining about the team trading him and how it was such an obvious mistake.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
I agree. If Gordon does turn it around in NE we are going to see alot of people walking around with there hindsight 20/20 vision. Complaining about the team trading him and how it was such an obvious mistake.

I won’t ... i dont know why we would send him there knowing his backround and knowing the “patriot way” and then making anything we get contingent on him being active for 10 weeks ...

I think thats just STUPID and a BAD BUSINESS decision ...

No clue if the niners actually made and offer or not ... if they did and they offered a 6th for him ... that pick won’t be to far away from the Pats 5th round pick ... the 9er are not a good football team right now ... not a lot of talent there ...

Crap ... if the Jills offered a 6th that one could very well end up being the pick right after the pats 5th round pick ... *L*

Wouldn’t that have made more sense? ...

I’ll be STUNNED if Josh don’t get cut ... then we get squadoosh and he gets what he more than likely what he wanted all along ... a new contract ...

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Don't we still get the 5th? As I understand it if he were to get cut we would have to send them back a 7th. But, I agree that it is not the best landing spot as far as we are concerned but who knows maybe it wrks to our advantage. Patriots play the Steelers this year, maybe Gordon and the Patriots knock the Steelers out of the playoffs.

Legend
Legend
the rumors were that all teams were offering a 7th round pick ... so we said a 6th would get it done ... and the Pats didn't have a 6th, so they made it their 5th.

BB must feel it's worth the risk

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

After six years of "supporting" JG, it took me about six MINUTES to completely get-over him being gone. How many 'last-chances' does one guy get? And this isn't even substance-abuse related.

D
Legend
Legend
D
If were gauranteed the 5th ... im on board ... i may be wrong ... i may have mis understood ... hope your right dawg ... thumbsup

Thanks for the info 4life ... that changes a lot also ...

Appreciate it sir .. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
For the life of me I’ll never understand why the hell they didn’t trade JG before the 2018 draft. Whatever. Moving on.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
j/c

After many years the Josh Gordon experiment has finally come to an end. Strikingly successful. laugh

(And good luck NE with the continuance of that.)

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
If were gauranteed the 5th ... im on board ... i may be wrong ... i may have mis understood ... hope your right dawg ... thumbsup

thumbsup

E
Legend
Legend
E
Who and What is a Josh Gordon?

He will come close to being the leading WR in the NFL but before playoffs come about he will fail a drug test and be that guy again. Good luck Pat Fans... wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
No, it is not likely. However, if there is any one team that can turn him around, it's NE because of the culture they have established.

The Pats have taken shots on guys w/character issues in the past. Some pan out, like Moss and Corey Dillon. Others do not, like K2, Britt, Floyd, Hernandez, etc

If I recall tho, the guys that pan out vs the guys that don't. look at the difference in them.

Moss and Dillion - If I remember correctly, were not inherently BAD people. They just had big heads, egos, etc.

K2, Hernandez - well, their stories tell you what the type of people they are/were

JG - seems to be of the latter character wise.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

I think we are guaranteed the 5th. If JG is not active for some number of games, I think 10, then we have to give them a 7th.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's correct. It's a good trade for the Browns, all things considered.

I'd have been happy with a conditional 7th and just getting rid of the guy. Bonus points for clearing some salary.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We are swapping a 7th for a 5th.
He wont make 10 games

Joe Thomas #73
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. He had no pressure here for obvious reasons. The expectations in NE are very high. BB is as tough to play for as any coach ever was. IF JG couldn't handle it here how will he handle it there? Good luck. He'll need it. By the way EO, I hope you are doing well!!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 09/19/18 11:11 AM.
Legend
Legend
If he says that pressure/stress add to his desire to do drugs and drink ... then he just went from the frying pan to the fire in NE

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
About Josh Gordon, Belichick says “we’ll talk about it when it’s done, if it’s done.” Says the “finish of the trade” isn’t done even though it’s on the transaction wire.

Billy's warmth could melt your heart

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Billy's warmth could melt your heart

brownie

D
Legend
Legend
D
I’m to lazy and tired to get back and get the link ... it came from the site i always reference ... i had all ready ciopied some info on AB ...

Just read the Patriots signed Coleman to their practice squad ... didnt even know he was eligible ...

Maybe someone will provide a link before the refs delete my post cause i’m A lazy dawg right now ... *L* ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Report: Patriots bring Corey Coleman back via practice squad

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-england-pa...quad-122163054/

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Vambo
Report: Patriots bring Corey Coleman back via practice squad

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-england-pa...quad-122163054/

This is crazy.

Legend
Legend
I wouldn't have thought Coleman was still eligible for PS ... what a weird month he's had

Legend
Legend
Coleman demanded a trade because he wasn't starting. Welcome to reality, kid.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Coleman demanded a trade because he wasn't starting. Welcome to reality, kid.

I was just about to say this. When reality hits, it hits HARD.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c

Absolutely.

Here's an excerpt.....

I'll be honest, when I saw that Lombardi was weighing in on the whole thing, I didn't click the link and told myself I might come back to read it. I was too angry to read one of the people that was responsible for handling Gordon, dump more on the team.

I'm shocked that Lombardi wrote what he did. Seemed like a pretty balanced take on the whole situation with JG and Cleveland. Seems to imply shared responsibility (Gordon for being a turd, and Cleveland for going along with it).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Is it just me or does anyone else have a hard time dealing with the fact that these teams have no issues and will pickup these freeloading slackers while they boycott a known NFL caliber QB because his stance on equality for all?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Is it just me or does anyone else have a hard time dealing with the fact that these teams have no issues and will pickup these freeloading slackers while they boycott a known NFL caliber QB because his stance on equality for all?

According to John Elway's own words, he offered Kap a backup QB job and he declined.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

And the safety also...

You can be anything in the NFL, except a liberal...

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

And the safety also...

You can be anything in the NFL, except a liberal...

rofl rolleyes

-PrplPplEater
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard