Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
Baker has earned this shot and we need him. I wanted to sit him behind TT this year to develop. That ship has sailed for a few reasons. First, I thought too highly of TT and drank the koolaid. Truthfully he did not produce as I thought he might. Second, BM's output has been solid overall. And the team plays harder for him than TT.

Play it as it lays. Mayfield gives us a better shot to win, much more than Taylor. if this is Mayfield's time, I do not want to interrupt or screw up his bonding or whatever with the starters. It is fair to let him do all he can, not just see what he can do like a lab rat. I do not think he is holding anything back.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
K
All Pro
All Pro
K

Legend
Legend

I get your point.

However, every case is different. You can
not generalize about when to start a rookie.

Mahomes had Alex Smith in front. Rodgers had Farve. Brady had Bledsoe.

Ideally I agree with sitting a rookie. But again each case is different.

TT was not effective. He was missing reads. He was inaccurate. Then he got hurt which given the way he plays and his reliance upon his legs as part of his game; was likely to happen.

Mayfield brought a whole different vibe to the offense. It was crystal clear. He has played with confidence. He hit receivers in stride. He made tight throws into small windows. He showed escapability while continuing to keep his vision downfield. He moved the offense and scored.

Where are the Browns? We are a work in progress. We are good enough to compete weekly. Are we going to make the playoffs? Not likely. Not likely under Tyrod or Mayfield.

So what can be gained this year? Mayfield can gain experience. Experience only gained from playing. He can develop with the young players around him. Players who are the future of this team.

At this point sitting Baker is useless. If Tyrod had not gotten hurt he would still be starting.

However, he did and Baker showed that he is the better player even as a rookie.

It makes no sense to go backward. This is Baker's team.
And the players know it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
Look I understand the passion, but throwing insults at me is both unprofessional and classless.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
How many times are we going to draft 1st rd Qb and then put them out their to play before they are ready and ruin them?

If he was getting beat around like Couch, David Carr, and some other rookie QBs on really bad teams from the past, I would be on board with you 100%. But he's not.

If he wasn't seeing the field at all, was throwing a bunch of bad interceptions and having his confidence crushed, I would be on board with you 100%. But he's not.

If he looked like he was struggling to get the playbook and struggling to move the ball or score points, I would be on board with you 100%. But he's not.

If he looked, in any way, like the situation was too big for him and he was playing timid and scared, I would be on board with you 100%. But he's not.

In short, the two main premises of your position:
1. Tyrod give us a better chance to win now
2. Baker will be ruined by starting this year...

I see absolutely no evidence that either of those are true.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
How many times are we going to draft 1st rd Qb and then put them out their to play before they are ready and ruin them?

If he was getting beat around like Couch, David Carr, and some other rookie QBs on really bad teams from the past, I would be on board with you 100%. But he's not.

If he wasn't seeing the field at all, was throwing a bunch of bad interceptions and having his confidence crushed, I would be on board with you 100%. But he's not.

If he looked like he was struggling to get the playbook and struggling to move the ball or score points, I would be on board with you 100%. But he's not.

If he looked, in any way, like the situation was too big for him and he was playing timid and scared, I would be on board with you 100%. But he's not.

DC WINS THE THREAD!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Baker actually played very good. So don't know what you're talking about. thumbsdown

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
There is no way that Tyrod should start over Baker. Tyrod hasn't shown us much and from what I've seen so far? He's average at best. He can't anticipate throws most of the time and because of this he holds onto the ball too long.

Simply put, Baker's just a much better QB than Tyrod.

Note: Tyrod can run better, but that's about it.

Legend
Legend
When Baker was named the starter TT was in concussion protocol. And when was the last time we had a rookie QB get this team to put up 42 points?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
When Baker was named the starter TT was in concussion protocol. And when was the last time we had a rookie QB get this team to put up 42 points?

Also, against the Jets, that offense put up 21 in just over a half.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So he's averaging 21 points a half.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
So he's averaging 21 points a half.

Just under, because he played a series and a kneel down in the 1st half of the Jets game ..... but you are really close. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would have to say the team is averaging 21 points a half. Unless Mayfield entered Chubb's body and rushed for two TD's.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I would have to say the team is averaging 21 points a half. Unless Mayfield entered Chubb's body and rushed for two TD's.
This is true, yet is seems to be customary to give QBs credit for all points scored by the offense when they are at the helm.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I can't even respond to this (with anything logical). Pretty good OP satire though.

Legend
Legend

Ok, Captain Nitpicky..

The TEAM... under Tyrod for almost 5 full halfs of football was averaging about 7.8 points per half..

The TEAM... under Mayfield for about 3 full halfs of football is averaging 21 points per half..

The only real change to the TEAM.. was switching QBs...

You can move the numbers by a few decimal points depending on how you count the FG at the end of the first half of the Jets game... but that's pretty insignificant..

And for the record, I do not have ANY expectations that Mayfield is going to hang 21 per half on the Ravens.. would love to see it but would bet the house against it... if he can score 21-24 points with no INTs this week, regardless of the outcome, I think it will have been a pretty successful performance by him.

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
Bake made the FG KICKER BETTER ... *L*

P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't know Mayfield could scramble like that! Wow, the kid can change uniforms quick! lmao

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E

Yep Mayfield is a bust and sucks! You just can't give him any credit at all.

Ya think the D was playing back and for the pass not the run like they normally do against us. Cause we finally got a QB who can pass and if they play the Game plan of stop the run and make the QB win the game - we got a QB that can win. So much so that we had a RB get past the edge and out ran everyone. So that a fan like you can say any QB can hand the ball off so Mayfield has no influence in scoring 21 points a half when out there. Is that what you are saying.

rolleyes yep he sucks!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I give him credit on these boards all the time.

But in case you missed it, he's not the RB.

Keep on keepin' on tab. lmao

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab

Yep Mayfield is a bust and sucks! You just can't give him any credit at all.

Ya think the D was playing back and for the pass not the run like they normally do against us. Cause we finally got a QB who can pass and if they play the Game plan of stop the run and make the QB win the game - we got a QB that can win. So much so that we had a RB get past the edge and out ran everyone. So that a fan like you can say any QB can hand the ball off so Mayfield has no influence in scoring 21 points a half when out there. Is that what you are saying.

rolleyes yep he sucks!

Trying as hard as I can, but I cannot see how you came to this conclusion from the text you quoted above.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
If and when you don't give Mayfield 100% of the credit for what every player on the field does, this is what you get from tab.

That and he has a crow to pick with me.

Hope that helps.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If and when you don't give Mayfield 100% of the credit for what every player on the field does, this is what you get from tab.

Hope that helps.

Gotcha.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

That is as well put as could possibly be.
That sums my thoughts exactly.
Nothing more needs said!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Legend
Legend

Hope that helps.

You don't have to give Mayfield 100% of the credit for what everybody did. But for 2 1/2 games we struggled to move the ball and we struggled to score points.. for 1 1/2 games we moved the ball well and scored a lot more points.

at the intersection where things changed we replaced one person... divide up the credit however you would like.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
See, I understand we have 11 men on both sides of the ball.

At some point someone has to give Chubb credit for his part.

I can see how many find that an illogical conclusion.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
You totally don't have a clue as to what DC was saying, do you?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly do. It seems you're following me around now? lmao

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
I see it as the other way around.

You, sir, are following me. Failed smear attempt in a different thread.

See, HERE, we are talking about the difference in qb's, and points scored. It's pretty easy to follow along, really.

The Browns score more points with Mayfield than they did with Taylor. That's not even in question.

Why did the running game open up some? Maybe it was because the Browns had a qb that..........you know, throws the ball downfield, and defenses need to account for that?

But........damn, Mayfield is white, and Taylor is black, so I suppose you'll try to paint me as racist again.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You're rambling about something that never happened. Get a grip arch. This is pure football.

Chubb has had very limited carries. He took full advantage of that. I'm not going to neglect to give him credit for his rushing accomplishments.

It's pretty simple. Give each player credit where credit is due.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Absolutely, give credit where credit is due.

Chubb got rookie of the week.

That has nothing to do with the discussion that was taking place.

I, and others, sincerely feel that having a qb that throws down field can, and HAS opened up the running game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
At some point someone has to give Chubb credit for his part.

Why you denying the OL the credit they deserve for those runs and the WRs blocking downfield? Why you wanna give Chubb 100% of the credit.. sheesh, some people..

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
And I give Mayfield credit for every yard he passes for. Maybe I should start giving Chubb credit for Mayfields passing yardage too?

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
And I give Mayfield credit for every yard he passes for. Maybe I should start giving Chubb credit for Mayfields passing yardage too?

Better yet, maybe you could understand football? I know that's asking a lot of you.

Legend
Legend

If Chubb keeps breaking off long runs then that would be a little appropriate.... Chubb (or Hyde or Duke) breaking off long runs forces the defense to focus on stopping it, making it easier to throw.. if Mayfield is completing passes down the field it opens up the run.. these things don't happen in a vacuum..

Which brings me back to my original point.. after we switched QBs, we had more passing yards and more rushing yards... Hyde, Chubb, and the OC all remained the same... the QB changed. So, while Mayfield didn't actually run the ball himself, it's very possible he had influence on the success of the running game.

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
PitDawg is just hoping his pre-draft Mayfield comments pay off. angel

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is giving credit to one player denying it to another? Can't credit be given to both Chubb for his running abilities, Mayfield for the effect he has had on both our offense and the opposing defenses, and still have some left over for the OL and WR for their blocking?

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

Man, this is like reading "who's on first".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: FATE

Man, this is like reading "who's on first".

And "What's on 2nd". My Lord. Smh

Legend
Legend
Should we give Chubb credit if his missed block doesn't result in a sack?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Ravens 9 Mayfield named starter too soon

Link Copied to Clipboard