Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Rookie
Rookie
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Should we give Chubb credit if his missed block doesn't result in a sack?

I don't know.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I look forward to the day that some people on here talk football instead of talking about respect, smear, and other crap.

Some of you are worse than teenagers. Grow the hell up.

you had a good run Hank.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Its ok Cap, Pit does not think Mayfield is our Franchise QB, he thinks its a moral imperative to let all know that he is not special.

make sense. Look at his remarks, Mayfield is not the RB so he cannot be responsible for the 42 points.

That is what I'm talking about. Mayfield makes all better around him and just because we ran the ball and scored two long TDs to say that the 42 points were not a result of Mayfield being at QB.

Right now Pit hates me and I am not too fond of him either.

Still if one cannot understand the game of football and insist that our FRANCHISE QB is not responsible for the production of this offense. Then I will point it out to him or her.

I will try to be as honest as I can. I will try to keep personal crap out of the equation but just to let you know it goes both way and I'm honest about it.

Mayfield point blanks gives this offense a different look.

Mayfield is the first starting QB that defies the LONG LONG TIME GAME PLAN of Stop the Run and let the Browns QB beat us.

We have a lot of Wins ahead of us as the Offense can score on anyone with Mayfield at the helm and as long as the defense continues to get better as long as we learn how to catch the freaking ball. Things will turn around for us.

Hope that answers your question.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
You're just lying again Tab. I do think Mayfield may very well end up being our franchise QB. You just don't like me so you're spreading lies and being nasty. Nothing new there. lmao

So instead of throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks, let's look at what some posters are saying and see how it stacks up with the facts, shall we? Here's what's being said. Since Mayfield is starting, it opens up the run. Our #1 RB has been Carlos Hyde with far more carries than any other RB by a large margin. It's not even close. So how has his production been this season?

Against the Steelers he had 22 carries and averaged 2.8 yards per carry.

Against the Raiders he carried 22 times for an average of 3.7 yards per carry.

Now unless I'm missing something here, the Steelers D is quite a but better than the Ravens D so it only stands to reason his average yards per carry would be somewhat better. Nobody can seriously say that averaging less than 4 yards per carry means the run game has suddenly opened up. That's just nonsense.

So the fake outrage you seem to present means nothing. Mayfield hasn't caused the run game to suddenly open up. Unless you think averaging 3.7 yards per carry by our feature back is some revelation. ( Just a hint, it's not )

Mayfield is a much better QB than TT. In the small window we've seen of him he has shown a lot of promise.

But he's not the reason Chubb had two long TD runs.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
lying..oh ignorant one...lol laugh

I don't know you to like you or not... I don't respect you as a poster. That is true. Stats is for losers which of course you happen to be one...lol laugh yep one yards per carry is better but in your eyes Steelers D actually defies the stats cause why? Oh you say so...was a bs artist you are.

You seem to skip over the 33 yard average run of Chubbs...what a bs artist trying to lie with stats and your just aren't good at it. Maybe cause you don't know football...lol laugh

He's not the reason why Chubb had two good runs...cause you say so rofl that makes it a fact.... rofl nice try.

later liar.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Lets do stats and not cherry pick one back.

Here are the number for all of our backs for both games not counting the qbs.

-Steelers game 100 yards rushing avg. 3.3 yards per carry

-Raiders gamce 198 yards rushing avg. 7.3 yards per carry

See stats can be used to push and agenda many different ways. No one needs stats to see that Mayfield is a real threat to defenses down field where as TT is obviously not. Did it soften them up to getting gashed by the run? I believe so.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I fully believe Baker Mayfield CAN be the answer for us at QB, but its NOT this year. He isn't ready.

knight...good question...is it too soon for Mayfield to start?... but nearly impossible to answer without more information.

You have to give Mayfield a chance to prove himself on the field.

How long it takes to find an answer to the question will be determined by Mayfield's performance.

...the fans must give Mayfield "more time".

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Mayfield has been poised on the field. It's wrong to say he isn't ready.

I would have liked to see him sit for a few more weeks, but Taylor got injured and the O came alive w/Baker. You can't go back to Tyrod.

I think Baker will suffer some growing pains, but I think he will grow. Playing him is the best thing for him at this point.

I don't think we are ready to contend this year. It will be a year of learning and growth.

Next year should be the year for the team and Baker to make significant strides.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Mayfield has been poised on the field. It's wrong to say he isn't ready.

I would have liked to see him sit for a few more weeks, but Taylor got injured and the O came alive w/Baker. You can't go back to Tyrod.

I think Baker will suffer some growing pains, but I think he will grow. Playing him is the best thing for him at this point.

I don't think we are ready to contend this year. It will be a year of learning and growth.

Next year should be the year for the team and Baker to make significant strides.

+1

I'm still very excited and hopeful to see Baker do well this year - despite the growing pains. The kid is poised and a leader. Those are tremendous qualities to have in your young QB - add arm talent which he has. It's a good recipe.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I don't think Baker is going to see the growing pains that most young QB's see..

His demeanor, and the way he carries himself, I think we finally have our exception to the rule.. I'm not crowning him anything yet, but I likes what I see so far.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
I look forward to the day that some people on here talk football instead of talking about respect, smear, and other crap.

Some of you are worse than teenagers. Grow the hell up.

Like High School all over....

D
Legend
Legend
D
Couldn’t agree more ... 100% ...

He looked lost at the last pre-season game .. lost ... he would lock on to his primary and stay on him way to long .... then his head was all over the place real fast ... he just looked lost ....

I figured sitting for a long time was the best thing ... he doesn’t look even remotely close to lost anymore .... but he’s still a rook .... i didnt think he was ready for the on field training ,,,, well once again I WAS WRONG .... and man ... I COULDN’T BE HAPPIER I WAS WRONG ...

But he is still a rookie whose started exactly 1 game and played another half and a drive and only got to observe for 2.5 games ...

He’s gonna make mistakes .... theres gonna be growing pains .... but he has to play .... as us said ... its important .... THERE’S NO TURNING BACK ... this is Bake’s team now and the more he plays this year the better he has a chance to be next year ...

And dawgs ... not sure what next years theme is gonna be .... BUT ITS GONNA BE A MAJOR UPGRADE FROM OPTIMISM .... if Bake’s near as good as he has a shot to be ... with the talent we have now that is chuck full of pups that are going to improve with each snap they take ... the vet leadership (one of the reasons I really hope we keep TT) the cash we have in cap space and a first round talent to be added .... 2nd year in the O for all except the talent upgrades in theory ...

Hmmmm ... i have some time to think of next years theme .... its gonna be funwhatever it is ... thumbsup

T
Legend
Legend
T
Vers. If you don't think the team can win then are you giving up on the coach's ability to get them to win.

( rest of this is a general response)

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm so tired or hearing about "next" year.

It's why I hate this coach who loses as often as Bellichic wins. (some days I don't hate him as much, Today I do!)

( other's response about, not his fault, whatever )

but team preparation is "somebody's" job, and the study of the league, team by team, "gameplanning" , to "find out how to win, or ""learn"" how to win" is "somebody's job,

I'm so tired of hearing, (in general on this board, from any number of places) hearing about how

They are just not ready
it's going to take more time, it'll have to be next year,
they can't contend, they aren't going to make the playoffs anyway,

they're too young, ... stick with the plan,

give the plan more time.

(my answer),
The plan only goes back to the Tyrod Injury, the plan before that was Tyrod, while Baker sits and learns,

"""THAT!""" Plan only goes back to the day they signed Tyod in the offseason

, So, Reading anything that says this team ain't ready to win this year, wait till next year is absolute Nonsense!!!

It outrages me! Nonsense because they'll probably be on 3 different plans by when Next Year Get's Here.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing that, because I'm sick and tired of the team not getting even 1 game above 500 for any time since Brian Hoying.

And if they Lose Today, they won't any time this year either, I guess. (Get to 1 game above 500 at any point)

And isn't the coach, supposed to get the team to win.

Selling Browns Fans on Wait for next year, For ELEVEN straight years! (if not 25)
Are you flipping kiddng me!

Legend
Legend
I love this team, and think that they are very close to being a consistent winner.

That said, here are some of our key players:

QB: Mayfield, 1.5+ games, 1 start
LT: Harrison, 4 starts
WR: Callaway, 4 starts
CB: Ward, 4 starts

These are what most people consider to be the 4 key positions on a football team. (plus pass rusher)

In addition, I think that we need another OLB, because I am extremely unimpressed with Collins. I look forward to Avery taking on a bigger role. That said, I am not seeing much out of our OLB position with Collins and Kirksey. They have decent tackle numbers, but really haven't impacted the games much. I look for OLB to be addressed early in next year's draft.

This is a young and improving team, but one that still has holes, and that needs to learn to play together. (especially on the OL, where we have 2 new starting Tackles)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Vers. If you don't think the team can win then are you giving up on the coach's ability to get them to win.

No, I haven't given up on Hue Jackson. I think firing him will severely retard the team's development.

Stay the course!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
..oh ignorant one...lol laugh

I don't know you to like you or not... I don't respect you as a poster. That is true. Stats is for losers which of course you happen to be one...lol laugh yep one yards per carry is better but in your eyes Steelers D actually defies the stats cause why? Oh you say so...was a bs artist you are.

This is why you lose all credibility.

Quote:
You seem to skip over the 33 yard average run of Chubbs...what a bs artist trying to lie with stats and your just aren't good at it. Maybe cause you don't know football...lol laugh

No, I look at our feature back who takes the bulk of the carries to see that as a whole our running game only improved slightly since Baker became our QB. I give the blockers and the broken tackles of Chubb to give Chubb the credit he deserves. It's only obvious as to who wishes to take credit away from Chubb and give it to Baker for Chubb having great runs.

Quote:
He's not the reason why Chubb had two good runs...cause you say so rofl that makes it a fact.... rofl nice try.

later liar.

You do realize there's a difference between saying someone told a lie and calling someone a liar, right? You should be suspended for name calling but it seems you get a pass for everything you do.

You are dead wrong Tab and Chubb deserves the credit for his production. Every other RB on the teams production proves it. Admit it, your Baker bias prevents you from having any "football perspective" on this issue and if you could be honest for just a second you would know that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Again the voice of reason. You can't fire Hue now not with the team playing well and starting to gel. We could easily be 4-0 right now with a little luck.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Today will be a good test! Hopefully Greatness will surface.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Well maybe Mayfield should start next week.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mayfield named starter just in the nick of time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mayfield is the only thing I might consider tuning in to see. He's a good story and the kinda guy we've lacked since Kosar.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You can go ahead and lock this thread guys.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
No

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
You can go ahead and lock this thread guys.

Lmao. LOVE IT, BABY!!

K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
It was one game....and Mayfield still has ALOT to work on....

He threw another INT today, and he was sacked 5 flipping times....again there is ALOT this kid needs to work on. I think he got lucky today more then anything else.

Again, I have said from day one i believe Mayfield is our QB of the future, I just think we pushed the future too soon and the kid and us would have been better off letting him sit longer.

Mayfield had a mid-80's passer rating with a turnover and sacked 5 times...thats not exactly premier QB play (then again to us even average play will look great considering the trash we have had at QB the last decade)

our Defense is really what won this game today...they didn't give up a TD and kept the game within a field goal pretty much most of the game. Its not like Masyfield was lighting up the score board.

I expect people to go overboard with how great Mayfield was in a very close game. As Haley said earlier in the week, "they are carving a bust of him" Haley seems to think the kid has a lot to work on too, he made a lot of mistakes today, he just got lucky.

you know, sometimes being lucky is enough, and i'll take a win anyway i can get one. rothlisberger got lucky a lot in his first few years too so i'll take it.

Lets see if he can keep it up and improve though....we will see....

V
Legend
Legend
V
Just stop.

Legend
Legend
You know he did throw for 345 yards right?

All luck.

At least know when to give it up.

You are just being foolish.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown

He threw another INT today, and he was sacked 5 flipping times....again there is ALOT this kid needs to work on. I think he got lucky today more then anything else.

Again, I have said from day one i believe Mayfield is our QB of the future, I just think we pushed the future too soon and the kid and us would have been better off letting him sit longer.

Mayfield had a mid-80's passer rating with a turnover and sacked 5 times...thats not exactly premier QB play (then again to us even average play will look great considering the trash we have had at QB the last decade)

our Defense is really what won this game today...they didn't give up a TD and kept the game within a field goal pretty much most of the game. Its not like Masyfield was lighting up the score board.

I expect people to go overboard with how great Mayfield was in a very close game. As Haley said earlier in the week, "they are carving a bust of him" Haley seems to think the kid has a lot to work on too, he made a lot of mistakes today, he just got lucky.

you know, sometimes being lucky is enough, and i'll take a win anyway i can get one. rothlisberger got lucky a lot in his first few years too so i'll take it.

You got to be kidding. You going to blame those sacks on him?
The INT was the WR breaking out of his route. Luck? You definitely have an agenda against this kid.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
I don't think Baker is going to see the growing pains that most young QB's see..

His demeanor, and the way he carries himself, I think we finally have our exception to the rule.. I'm not crowning him anything yet, but I likes what I see so far.

His confidence, particularly his confidence in what he knows, is something I really haven't seen in a Cleveland Browns quarterback in damn near my entire life. Pair that with his intelligence, his trust in his teammates, and his innate ability to recognize the defensive schemes being used against him, and his willingness to throw the ball to the spots he's supposed to-----add in a short memory, and the moxie to lead this team...…

I think all the pieces are there for this kid to grow into a great player here in Cleveland. All these traits amount to a young QB who is prepared to weather the ups and downs of the game, the quarterback position, and the offensive leader, without crashing under the pressure....

He is 100% ready to begin his journey as a starting quarterback in this league....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Seriously... Who peed in your Wheaties today?

Nattering nabobs of negativity.... Just stop it...

For Gods sake, the Browns may have found their first QB since the return... No more jersey shots... No more its been X days since they won....

And all you see is the your personal raincloud, Charlie (Knight of) Brown...

Last edited by ChargerDawg; 10/07/18 08:34 PM. Reason: nattering neighbombs....

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Legend
Legend
D
It's nattering nabobs, but good post nonetheless.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K

Flacco's stats where worse than Mayfields today, perhaps he isn't ready either. Please stop you sound like a fool.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Baker is improving week by week. He has to start the rest of the way. Next year he should improve even more. Trial by fire is the best way for a kid like him.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will just say, that I do not know if he is the answer, but I think that Mayfield is the best choice for now, as he has earned an evaluation period.

There will be ups and downs, but that is the nature of the game.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
I fully believe Baker Mayfield CAN be the answer for us at QB, but its NOT this year. He isn't ready.

knight...good question...is it too soon for Mayfield to start?... but nearly impossible to answer without more information.

You have to give Mayfield a chance to prove himself on the field.

How long it takes to find an answer to the question will be determined by Mayfield's performance.

...the fans must give Mayfield "more time".

jc...

To those who believe Mayfield shouldn't be on the field too soon...tell me, WHAT IS TOO SOON?

It's not up to the fans to decide when Mayfield will be ready based "fan logic".

As I said in my above post, Mayfield's performance on the field each week will provide the answer everyone is looking for...is it too soon for Mayfield to start?

Mayfield's performance...25/43 342 1 td 1 int...that is probably enough to keep Mayfield on the field as the Browns starting QB, IMO...mac

Last edited by mac; 10/07/18 10:27 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I thought he did very well under constant pressure, the line was not protecting him well in the second half.

I hated the pick when we took him, I was not a Mayfield guy at all when we took him on draft day. But so far I like what I'm seeing, his arm strength and pocket awareness seems to be the most impressive to me.

His decision making seems to be ahead of the curve at this point in his career. We might have our guy. (knock on wood and fingers crossed) We'll truly find out after the DC's around the league get enough film to discover his tendencies. But for now I'm pretty happy with his performance.

Cheer up and don't be so negative.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

No, I haven't given up on Hue Jackson. I think firing him will severely retard the team's development.

Stay the course!

Agreed. He's not perfect, but the players play hard for him and don't give up.

For the first time since 2007, I feel they be in any game they play.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Bakerrrr!!!!

Oh and here is the list of QBs who threw ints or fumbled this week...

Rodgers (2 fumbles)
Bortles (4 ints and 1 fumble)
Keenum (1 int)
Luck (2 ints)
Beathard (2 ints, 2 fumbles)
Mayfield (1 int)
Brady (2 ints)
Manning (2 ints)
Goff (2 ints)
Watson (1 int)
Mahomes (2 ints)
Wentz (1 fumble)
Cousins (1 fumble)
Flacco (1 int)
Ryan (1 fumble)
Carr (1 int)
Roethlisberger (1 int)
Dalton (1 int)
Newton (2 ints)
Darnold (1 int)
Tannehill (2 ints, 1 fumble)
Prescott (2 ints)
Mariota (1 int)
Allen (1 int)

The only "flawless" QBs were Rivers, Wilson, Stafford, Rosen...and Seattle lost to the Rams.

He did some questionable things, he did some amazing things...not a single QB in the NFL is perfect and flawless every single play, every single game.

Pending disaster (*knock on wood*), he's the QB of the future here in Cleveland, time to get on board!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Ravens 9 Mayfield named starter too soon

Link Copied to Clipboard