Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
look at all of those turnovers

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
maybe the worst take I've seen in a while...

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thanks for posting those two videos ... that stuffs great ...

I LOVE this kid ... hes so MATURE ... good win time to get to work were just a smidge away from being much better on O ... learning learning learning ....

GOOD LUCK BAKE ...

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
You can go ahead and lock this thread guys.

Good to see you and others finally HAPPY about our Browns. We got the right QB, tough like the Browns should be. Gritty, never give up and freakin talented arm and he's ours!
Thank you Dorsey for turning this Franchise around.

Mayfield at #1 and Ward at #4 both questioned by those so called Experts wink Thank you Mr. Dorsey!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab

Mayfield at #1 and Ward at #4 both questioned by those so called Experts wink Thank you Mr. Dorsey!

Yeah, if you want some fun reading, go back to the draft threads and watch everyone go apocalyptic after drafting Baker and Ward. Some entertaining posts there.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

Yeah, if you want some fun reading, go back to the draft threads and watch everyone go apocalyptic after drafting Baker and Ward. Some entertaining posts there.

I admit I questioned Baker (Wrong) superconfused but I loved the Ward pick because the worst part of our team was the secondary and as I said he was/is the best CB in this draft and a lot of other drafts ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I admit I wanted Rosen over Mayfield.

I am definitely believer that his personality is wining everyone over. He's just one of those guys you can't help but like when you are around him.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Trial by fire is the best way for a kid like him.

I think this is a very important quote. QB's aren't a one size fits all. They are human beings like we all are. Different people react to situations in different ways. Looking at Mayfields past, he has always been a fighter. Always had to work hard at every level to become the starter and succeed.

He's not the type of person who wilts in the face of adversity. Instead he has the type of personality that goes head on to face any struggle. The stage isn't too big for him.

As posters I think many have some foregone conclusion as to exactly how a rookie QB should be brought along. People seem to think that either sitting them or starting them right away is some strict pattern that should be adhered to for "every rookie QB". Yet we've all witnessed QB's who have thrived by being thrown into the fire and QB's who have greatly benefited by sitting for a while. It has been proven that both ways have worked.

Would it have been an ideal situation having the luxury of sitting Mayfield longer? I think so. And the investment made in TT shows that was the hope of this FO and coaching staff as well. But the play combined with the injury of TT took that luxury away.

But what I've seen from Mayfield is a kid who thrives under pressure. Who takes every challenge head on. Who never wilts in the face of adversity but instead rises to the challenge. That doesn't mean there won't be and isn't room for improvement. There most certainly is. But I'm confident this kid has what it takes to rise above it. His personality and mental toughness allow you the luxury of starting the kid early without damaging his confidence and creating a situation where you retard or damage his development. That's not the case for all rookie QB's.

Many of the main ingredients it takes to be an NFL franchise QB are in his skill set. Along with those physical skills he has the mental fortitude and mental determination to be great. Those are traits that can't be taught.

So no, I won't anoint a kid who has started two games a franchise QB yet. It's too early in the game to make such a prediction like that. I've seen far too often where people wish to act as though they're Nostradamus and end up looking more like Nostradumbass by taking a small dose of evidence and attempt to extrapolate that over the long haul.

But I will say Mayfield has the talent and tools to make that a possibility. There's every reason for optimism that this can happen. As Browns fans it's what we all want and hope for. For the first time since our return in 1999 that possibility is very real IMO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Watched most of Baker's games at OU on TV that last 2 years - loved watching him run that offense then and love watching him now.

He was Dorsey's choice from the get-go and so glad he stuck to guns in choosing Mayfield. Nice to have good QB play in CLE again - not since Bernie IMHO.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Could not agree more. Nicely stated.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

I admit I questioned Baker (Wrong) superconfused but I loved the Ward pick because the worst part of our team was the secondary and as I said he was/is the best CB in this draft and a lot of other drafts ... thumbsup

Making any comparison between Ward and Baker, is just plain wrong...

Took very few plays to see that Ward is special, Baker had a good game against the Jets, but mostly because the Jets stopped rushing the passer.

Oakland and Baltimore games Baker was pedestrian IMHO...

Oakland had no answer to Calloway, the D lost the game, although BM made no difference. Baltimore it was the D and the running game that won it, BM had a good drive at the end of the half.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Love nothing better than hearing your drivel. You keep on keeping on...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There is a presence that is uniting this team. A big, bold and strong personality that is apparently effective and infectious among peers. Wanna take a guess who that might be?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Glad to see you've done a 180.

That takes a lot.

Tackles are tackles.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
There is a presence that is uniting this team. A big, bold and strong personality that is apparently effective and infectious among peers. Wanna take a guess who that might be?

Dorsey?

Legend
Legend

Baker has thrown for:

838 yards in 2.5 games. That is a 335yd average.

And you are saying he has made no difference and is pedestrian?

Throw the stats out. And tell me who made big plays when they had to be made?

I guess you like to ignore the obvious. Because if you truly believe that Mayfield as little impact on this team then I got nothing for you.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Baker has thrown for:

I guess you like to ignore the obvious. Because if you truly believe that Mayfield as little impact on this team then I got nothing for you.

+1 thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

Baker has thrown for:

First its not 2.5 games...its 2.5 games plus OT's.

Second apart from the .5 game against the Jets, I have not seen Baker do Anything special.

O line is playing really good IMHO, Baker hasn't been bad by all means, but average NFL starting QB, and that's what pedestrian means.

We have not lost nor won the other games because of him.. TT would have done the same.

All in all I still think BM is very limited... this when I compare him to Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Wentz, Watson, Mahomes, but that's only me.... I think he is more on the Dak Prescott mold, he won't win nor lose games for the team.

Last edited by rastanplan; 10/08/18 01:17 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
TT would have done the same.

Not only could I not disagree more vehemently, I cannot comprehend how ANYONE could watch the play of TT & Baker this season and conclude that TT could have done what Baker has done.

I get the point you're attempting to make, but that statement is so ridiculously far from being based in truth, it is ridiculous.

As for your closing statement, if based on nothing else your inclusion of Darnold, Rosen, and Allen as examples of who WILL win games for their team, you are clearly smoking crack (or just not actually watching football). All three of those are the very definition and embodiment of "pedestrian", at best.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Thank the good lord Dorsey got Bake all the right parts to mask all his flaws ...

Cause man ... Bake STINKS ... it wasn’t easy masking all those flaws ...

DAWGS

Please follow my lead .. why we focus on responding to this nonsense week in and week out ...

Every week this dude and the one other dude are like lightning rods and ya’all INDULGE THEM every single week ...

Why ... i dont get it ...

Oh well .. to each there own ...

I guess if u enjoy engaging with a negative Nancy then go for it ..

ENJOY DAWGS ... i will in my own way ... please do the same ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
TT would have done the same.

Not only could I not disagree more vehemently, I cannot comprehend how ANYONE could watch the play of TT & Baker this season and conclude that TT could have done what Baker has done.

I get the point you're attempting to make, but that statement is so ridiculously far from being based in truth, it is ridiculous.

As for your closing statement, if based on nothing else your inclusion of Darnold, Rosen, and Allen as examples of who WILL win games for their team, you are clearly smoking crack (or just not actually watching football). All three of those are the very definition and embodiment of "pedestrian", at best.

i think you should make a sticky post, letting posters know its ok to root for guys now that the 2018 draft is over. some people are still holding on for dear life about who's right or wrong with the draft picks.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
you are clearly smoking crack (or just not actually watching football).

Silly man. It's all about the opioid epidemic now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Baker has thrown for:

O line is playing really good IMHO, Baker hasn't been bad by all means, but average NFL starting QB, and that's what pedestrian means.

I use to blame the OL for QB sacks.

After watching Baker come in in the 2nd half of that game (and the others) now, all of a sudden the OL starting blocking way better?

It tells me that it's a symbiotic relationship and their belief and willingness to block for Baker has been proven in the eye test alone. Plus, he has been pretty good at getting rid of the ball quick and being elusive which TT doesn't seem to have.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Nobody was more behind Darnold than I was.

And I still believe he will be very good.

My second guy was Rosen. Mayfield third. Allen fourth.

I broke down each guy very early in the draft process.

I actually felt all had a chance go be good and still believe that.

But for you to be in denial about Baker is aburd.

Anybody can see his impact. To suggest Tyrod would have done the same tells me to ignore your posts.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
our Defense is really what won this game today...they didn't give up a TD and kept the game within a field goal pretty much most of the game. Its not like Mayfield was lighting up the score board.

You remind me a lot of the stats that they keep showing at the end of every close Browns game this year..

Week 1: Cleveland Browns have the longest losing streak in NFL history and are 1-31.. Browns tie.

Weeks 2 and 3: Cleveland Browns have the longest NON-WINNING streak in NFL history and are 1-31-1.. Browns win.

Week 4 and 5: Cleveland Browns have the longest non-winning streak ON SUNDAY in NFL history..

I'm betting week 7 is about winning on the road.. anybody else realize we haven't won a road game since October 11, 2015

Either way, they are always looking for the negative, so are you. Mayfield drove the field THREE TIMES near the end of regulation and crunch time getting us out and putting us in a position to score but for our crappy kicker and lame no-call on a pass interference...

Our OL was being pushed into his lap immediately on almost every play.. our OL was backpedaling faster than our CBs.. And his mid 80s QB rating is only about 15 points higher than Big Bens against the same defense the week before.. Keep searching for bad things..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
All this talk of saying Baker Mayfield "Is the guy" is premature. He has played 2 and a half games. I am not sold on him being the guy yet because he hasn't played long enough for D coordinators to adjust.

Derek Anderson threw for nearly 4,000 yards and 29 TD in 2007 putting him in the Top 9 in the league in passing yards, 1st in the NFL in yards per attempt, and put him around the Top 12 in the league statistically, but guess what? He couldn't keep it going...it took NFL D coordinators about a year to figure out his tendencies and once they did...that was it for him.

Mayfield is going to have to have to prove longterm that he is the guy, and the game he had yesterday leaves more questions then it answers. We scored 12 points ok...12 points...thats not some coming out party for an elite QB. The raiders have one of the worse D's in the league and he still turned over the ball 4 times, throwing two picks.

I will continue to be measured. I am not crowing him "the guy" until he proves he is the guy, and you prove it by doing what Rick Flair said...by winning, consistently, I am not denying Mayfield has talent, im not denying Mayfield could end up being the guy, but its way too soon to be crowing him as some potential savior...He has won a game and lost a game as a starter, and came in relief in another...he still has a lot to prove, hell he still has a logn ways to go to cement that he belongs in the NFL.

NFL history is chalk full of flash in the pan guys, that have a decent year and then fade away. What will Mayfield be? guess we will find out in 2-3 years, but we won't find out this year short of a Super Bowl Win.

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 10/08/18 07:53 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

i think you should make a sticky post, letting posters know its ok to root for guys now that the 2018 draft is over. some people are still holding on for dear life about who's right or wrong with the draft picks.

I agree. The draft is over. Baker is looking good. Not as good as some our saying, but I think we have our qb. I'm glad we picked him.

I think I can add to your comment by saying that Sashi is gone and it's time for posters to start supporting Hue and stop trying to beat him down each week.

This team is headed in the right direction. Might be time to let some things go and actually support the team?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
All this talk of saying Baker Mayfield "Is the guy" is premature. He has played 2 and a half games. I am not sold on him being the guy yet because he hasn't played long enough for D coordinators to adjust.

Derek Anderson threw for nearly 4,000 yards and 29 TD in 2007 putting him in the Top 9 in the league in passing yards, 1st in the NFL in yards per attempt, and put him around the Top 12 in the league statistically, but guess what? He couldn't keep it going...it took NFL D coordinators about a year to figure out his tendencies and once they did...that was it for him.

Mayfield is going to have to have to prove longterm that he is the guy, and the game he had yesterday leaves more questions then it answers. We scored 12 points ok...12 points...thats not some coming out party for an elite QB. The raiders have one of the worse D's in the league and he still turned over the ball 4 times, throwing two picks.

I will continue to be measured. I am not crowing him "the guy" until he proves he is the guy, and you prove it by doing what Rick Flair said...by winning, consistently, I am not denying Mayfield has talent, im not denying Mayfield could end up being the guy, but its way too soon to be crowing him as some potential savior...He has won a game and lost a game as a starter, and came in relief in another...he still has a lot to prove, hell he still has a logn ways to go to cement that he belongs in the NFL.

NFL history is chalk full of flash in the pan guys, that have a decent year and then fade away. What will Mayfield be? guess we will find out in 2-3 years, but we won't find out this year short of a Super Bowl Win.

all this is fine.

but this is not the same as saying he was named the starter too soon. thats two different conversations.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
I think this post was made too soon.

Instead of arguing about who's right and wrong, let's just enjoy this moment. This is the brightest the Browns' future has looked in 10 years at least!

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 10/08/18 08:22 PM.
Legend
Legend
I was calling Anderson fool's gold while we were still riding high.
There is a BIG difference between Mayfield and Anderson, actually, a few.

Mayfield doesn't panic, Mayfield has touch on his passes, Mayfield demonstrates an uncanny awareness of what is happening on the field.

Anderson was just a big, dumb arm that had one gear - all out. His receivers made him by regularly bailing him out when he'd make terrible throws. Without Jureviscius in particular, he would have looked a LOT worse and those stats would have imploded.

What we are seeing from Mayfield is success regardless of who the WR's are, and he is spreading that thing around like Oprah giving out foot massagers. Everybody's getting the ball. He is elevating THEM every bit as much as they are returning the favor.

Apples and Tomatoes, man.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I was calling Anderson fool's gold while we were still riding high.
There is a BIG difference between Mayfield and Anderson, actually, a few.

Mayfield doesn't panic, Mayfield has touch on his passes, Mayfield demonstrates an uncanny awareness of what is happening on the field.

Anderson was just a big, dumb arm that had one gear - all out. His receivers made him by regularly bailing him out when he'd make terrible throws. Without Jureviscius in particular, he would have looked a LOT worse and those stats would have imploded.

What we are seeing from Mayfield is success regardless of who the WR's are, and he is spreading that thing around like Oprah giving out foot massagers. Everybody's getting the ball. He is elevating THEM every bit as much as they are returning the favor.

Apples and Tomatoes, man.

There's a reason why Derek Anderson went undrafted, and there's a reason why Baker Mayfield went first overall in a draft that was pretty loaded with good QB prospects, and good players at other positions.

Anderson threw one of the prettiest deep balls I've ever seen, but I've already seen better throws at the short and medium levels from Mayfield that Anderson could not consistently make.

Legend
Legend
Anderson was a 6th round pick of the Ravens

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Anderson was a 6th round pick of the Ravens

My mistake. Although he was cut in camp and never played for them. Either way he was a scrap heap pickup, and the Browns caught lightning in a bottle.

I just think it's ludicrous to compare him to Mayfield, who can do so much more. Anderson was also a result of Braylon Edwards making ridiculous catches all year, Kellen Winslow being great, and a solid running game with Jamal Lewis. Sure, you could argue Anderson set those guys up for success, but I'd lean more on them making him look good than vice-versa, and honestly nobody came out of that situation well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anderson was a 1 hit wonder.

Baker isn't.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I liked DA. He was no where near as good as Baker.

I think Anderson would have been a fine bridge quarterback until we found our guy. I don't think he would have won us a super bowl but he could have won us more than 5 games on occasion.

Also, I get some don't want to anoint baker yet. That's fine. But I think some of us already know. It's sorta the feeling you get when you met your wife for the first time, you just knew.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I was cracking up reading this thread at the Baker naysayers.

The future is now. He is ready. He will make rookie mistakes but he will bounce back from them.

All preseason he showed signs he's going to be brilliant someday. His accuracy and ball placement is absolutely unmatched. There were several plays in the preseason where I said to myself "Dear God I can't wait until he's good."

Baker, in his second NFL start, beat a team that has historically manhandled the Browns, rookie AND veteran QB's. And he did it by making big time throws and generally protecting the football (the INT was confirmed to be a bad route by Higgins according to film study and reporters).

For what it's worth, "film people" on Twitter all gush over Baker, NFL insiders and scouts are gushing over Baker, other players are. It would be one thing if Bakermania was only in Cleveland, but it's literally a leaguewide effect. Literally everyone in the know thinks this kid is gonna be special.

I cannot wait for Baker to have 5 years in the league. His floor is Matt Ryan and his peak is Drew Brees. Buckle up.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I liked DA. He was no where near as good as Baker.

I think Anderson would have been a fine bridge quarterback until we found our guy. I don't think he would have won us a super bowl but he could have won us more than 5 games on occasion.

Also, I get some don't want to anoint baker yet. That's fine. But I think some of us already know. It's sorta the feeling you get when you met your wife for the first time, you just knew.

I don't think anyone is anointing him yet...

But seriously, what's the harm in being excited about this guy? What, we all might be wrong, and he's another failed browns QB?

It's sports, not real life. Have fun with it. I don't understand how anyone can have a negative attitude towards this, after what we've had to witness for the last decade?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Ravens 9 Mayfield named starter too soon

Link Copied to Clipboard