Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Legend
Legend
M
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001009178/article/browns-promote-freddie-kitchens-to-head-coach

Any verification if GW is out ? That seems like a really low class way to replay him for doing a pretty damn good.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001009178/article/browns-promote-freddie-kitchens-to-head-coach

Any verification if GW is out ? That seems like a really low class way to replay him for doing a pretty damn good.

A lot of possibilities here before we jump the gun and start calling people "low class"... This very well may have been what GW wanted.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

Yes, plenty of verification in this thread.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

There was no way that Kitchens was going to want his former boss as his subordinate. It would never, ever work.

Williams is now able to go interview for open defensive coordinator spots, as opposed to waiting till they were all taken, and he would have been out of the NFL for a year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You just described my feelings about the entire DC situation.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I wouldn't call it low class. I remember the day they interviewed Freddie for the first time I believe he stated (paraphrasing) "Greggs not my first choice and I certainly wasn't his". Possible they didn't get along too well. We don't know the dynamics.

Possible Gregg stated he wanted released right away to try to get on somewhere while they are still filling staffs in other cities.

Its also pretty standard that a HC gets to pick his OC and DC, so why would you think that naming Freddie the HC he would keep Gregg?

Look, I appreciate what Gregg did here, but the fact is - our defense wasn't the best - far from it. And while I think he is a good solid DC, I want the best. Gregg is not the best.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Yes the Baker+Kitchens = Brownies Jokes have already started hitting my mailbox....

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Cincy_Dawg
Yes the Baker+Kitchens = Brownies Jokes have already started hitting my mailbox....

Wait 'til we hire Todd (mixing) Bowles as DC!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: FATE

lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

But Blake needs to separate from his father. And this is a good opportunity for him.[/color]

I can see Blake staying, perhaps even GW encouraging him to stay as this is a great opportunity...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE

Dirk (cookie) Koetter in as the OC too?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Charles Robinson is reporting that Kitchens was Dorsey's guy........and Freddie will report to Dorsey.

If true it means a couple of things.....

1. Dorsey is now running the show and the most powerful voice within the Browns

2. We have a traditional power structure.

This pleases me as I have been an advocate of having a clear chain of command for sometime.....I hope it kills a lot of the infighting we've seen in every Haslem regime.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
.and Freddie will report to Dorsey.

the HC reporting to the GM (or equivalent title) is how it always should have been.

It's taken 6 seasons but Jimmy finally got it right.

Tackles are tackles.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I'm a big believer in chemistry in cases such as this. I liked what GW and his coordinators were doing.

I hope things work out, but I can see Freddie starting Out 1-5 next season and fans will start resenting the decision this team made this week.

We could start out 1-5 with Greg and Co. and people would then start resenting the decision made there too.
Come on Lamp...
It freaking doesn't matter who we hire there is gonna be backlash and bullcrap.
He wasnt my #1 choice either but it's never gonna always be who or what we want with life period.
Why must we whine and cry !

Let's get on board and root for the team we LOVE!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg
Quote:

I'm a big believer in chemistry in cases such as this. I liked what GW and his coordinators were doing.

I hope things work out, but I can see Freddie starting Out 1-5 next season and fans will start resenting the decision this team made this week.

We could start out 1-5 with Greg and Co. and people would then start resenting the decision made there too.
Come on Lamp...
He wasnt my #1 choice either but it's never gonna always be who or what we want with life period.

Kudos to you, great post.

Legend
Legend
Charles Robinson
Verified account
@CharlesRobinson

On #Browns and Kitchens: Hire was ultimately Haslam + Dorsey; as HC Kitchens reports to Dorsey; Kitchens will retool staff (including on offense); Stefanski had support to be HC hire but consensus was for Kitchens; search was Haslam, Dorsey, DePodesta, Berry, Wolf, JW Johnson.

Last edited by Pdawg; 01/09/19 05:26 PM.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He also reiterated in a follow up tweet that Kitchens would be reporting to Dorsey.

This is a really big day for the Browns as we now have a chance at being successful whereas with previous searches it has been rumored (yes they were rumors) that Haslem would just pick the HC and the GM had to go along with it. Accompany that with the HC being autonomous from the GM and you were bound to have the problems we have seen here over the past 7 years.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wanted GW but I'm fine with Kitchens.

My biggest worry now is who the DC is because I really don't want us to blow this defense up.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Charles Robinson
Verified account
@CharlesRobinson

On #Browns and Kitchens: Hire was ultimately Haslam + Dorsey; as HC Kitchens reports to Dorsey; Kitchens will retool staff (including on offense); Stefanski had support to be HC hire but consensus was for Kitchens; search was Haslam, Dorsey, DePodesta, Berry, Wolf, JW Johnson.

The bolded part is so important. Part of the creation of "internal discord" with Hue and Haley had to do with Hue going to Haslam asking for play calling back. Even though it was the prescribed chain of command, it created problems because it seemed like Hue was doing it behind peoples' backs.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Happy B-day P ...

Hope thats right .... not really all that worried though ... King John must have faith and trust in Freddie and vice versa .... WE’VE NEVER HAD THAT BEFORE ... EVER ... and NOT EVEN CLOSE ...

Sure hope its true though ...

Legend
Legend
Thank you. I hope he is right as well.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

THIS RIGHT HERE is why we will have no shortage of QUALITY CANDIDATES for all our coaching positions ....

My guess is his rep around the league is OUTSTANDING!!!

LETS GOOOOOOOoooooooooooo ..... thumbsup

Legend
Legend

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

That guy's an idiot. - Baker Mayfield

#GMSTRONG
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

I'll just leave this here...

Last edited by The Collector; 01/09/19 07:09 PM.
Legend
Legend

You may not have seen this one.

#GMSTRONG
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
I said all along, if you were worried about Freddie ever leaving, just name him the HC.

Go Browns!

It am one. Mostly for the sake of the offense and Baker.

[Linked Image]

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

You may not have seen this one.

Just listening to Kitchens makes me laugh. It's like a cross between Peyton Manning and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

That's the Gregg we know and love. Things could have gone south after the changes... thanks for holding the fort.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really wanted him as the DC, just based on what he brought in terms of personality and his demand for accountability. I love the discipline and fire he installed in the team. I hope we don't miss that.

He would probably be the first to say it's the players who own the attitude, but something had to spark it, we went for so long without it, and he, IMHO, is the guy who did that.

Baker has made it his team and installed his own brand of fire, and Freddie was the first to speak up about accountability on Hard Knocks, and Landry is also a leader who demands the best, as well as Myles, others, so I'm hopeful.

I'm also hopeful we'll bring in another ass kicking DC. I want a take no prisoners defense. That was always GW's intention, and personally I think we was a year away from having the personal to get there. I'm going to miss Gregg, and his particular approach. He was nothing if not entertaining, and his heart was in it 100%. Say what you will about him, in my view, he deserves our appreciation and gratitude. He will always be one the the "successful" Browns coaches.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg
Quote:

Come on Lamp...

if I didn't love the Browns, didn't cheer for them with passion, do ya think I'd be here almost every damn day of the year? It's not like you guys throw rose petals at my feet. wink

And who was whining and crying? Not me.

I just didn't want to mess with what was working - or seemed to be working. We'll see how Kitchens does and of course I want nothing but success for us, but right now I am disappointed GW wasn't retained as HC.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I'm looking back over the timeline of Kitchens' time in Cleveland, and I'm left wondering if he wasn't originally hired to be a HC in waiting. He was named 'Running Backs/Associate Head Coach' on 1/24/18. I'm not that familiar with how coaching staffs are assembled, but looking at that now, it seems odd that a newly hired positions coach is given a Associate HC title. I'm left wondering, who's choice was he, Jackson's? Dorsey's?

Then Kitchens was given the task of calling the plays for the 4th pre-season game. Why him, a newly hired running backs coach. Oh yeah, he's also Associate HC.

Then, when Jackson and Haley were let go, why was Kitchens named OC over Saunders or one of the other offense coaches who had been with the team longer?

Now, looking back, it looks like a course charted with a specific purpose.

But that could be just me overthinking.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
i said i wanted either kitchens or williams.

we got the guy who literally turned the offense around. we finally have a coach who SHOWED all of us that he can maximize the talent we have in order to win games.

only question now is who will be the DC. since gregg is out....maybe his son Blake? i wouldn't be upset about it, as i think the defense really respects blake.

all i know is im already amped up for next season!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
... he can maximize the talent we have in order to win games.

Well he showed us offensively, but now he has the whole shebang. It's one thing to be a good tactician, but can he be a good strategist? I sure hope so...

T
Legend
Legend
T
I'm realy sad to see Gregg Williams go.

2. I don't like the move, easy to not like because can put it up to the one question litmus test.
Question: Does this move help you beat the Steelers? (Answer, No)

3, I'm thinking of all the Browns Def. Coordinators, at least since the Return in 99, and contemplating which ones were clearly better than Williams'

4. I liked listening to Gregg Williams post game pressers, and grow short term nostalgic that we had a HC, Interim, who sounded like he could have grown up in the same neighborhood as (Not Billy Bob Thorton, but that guy, you know who played him in a movie and was Bill Clintons' Cheerleader on TV during his run up to presidency, presidential campaign)

Plus Gregg Williams seemed like a thinker innovator.

X. Completley unrelated:
The Browns Defense this year, start to finish was a big part in the teams successes, momentum swings and all around making them tougher to beat.

I think it's pretty , well if not obvious, it's pretty easy to recognize that

Gregg Williams, +Williams Son, and +Freddie Kitchens, 5-3 and continuity

is probably greater than or equal to

Freddie Kitchens, and wait and see Question mark,

and probably, as we've seen so many times before that there really "is" no other way,

New faces in charge means loads of Roster turnover.

( MY Pierre Desir, vs Tramon Williams, Vs Jason McCourty, Vs Buster Skrine, vs Whomever, vs the other Whomever,
Everything is going to have to change because the new guy is going to want "his" guys. )

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
only question now is who will be the DC. since gregg is out....maybe his son Blake?

Blake got let go

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

But that could be just me overthinking.

Good points, especially when put together as you did.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Freddie Kitchens to be named head coach of the Cleveland Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard