Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Ugh...

We sign a homophobe to coach special teams, and now we sign someone who throws women around as a RB?

This team is getting hard to root for.

Don’t let the door hit u in the ass on the way out ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
I keep thinking back and forth on this ....

Right now I am wondering what the Wishbone would look like with Chubb, Hunt, and Duke ......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I would have preferred to not have this player on my team. Now that he is on my team I will root for him to succeed.

I guess this is as close to my feelings as any ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
IF he's sincere about owning up to his actions and willing to be under a hell of a microscope then Welcome.
Chiefs let him go for lying to them.
That's their story anyway.
No charges were filed and so he was never tried for anything.
1 year for 1 million is WAY less than he's worth as a player,
now as a man.... we'll see.

L
Legend
Legend
L
whats done is done, We got an top 5 RB for 1million. He's better than Duke. The key is how he carries himself moving forward. Everyone deserves a second chance and a chance to be rehabilitated. Let's wait and see. NFL is full of criminals.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

As much as some seem to fail to understand it, it's a business decision. It's a risk verses reward situation. A small risk for a very possible high reward.

I certainly don't expect everyone to like it. That would be unrealistic expectations. But it helps to understand it.
I mean we did need a new kicker . . . bad joke, I know.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I hate to say this but for most when we hoist the Lombardi trophy no one will care what he did ... Remember I said most not all

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
YES..excellent move by the Browns and Dorsey.

Football experience at work again as Dorsey's interaction with Hunt while he was the Chiefs GM led to the Chiefs drafting Hunt. Now that relationship pays off again, this time for the Browns.

To those who are against Hunt coming to the Browns you need to understand, someone was going to look beyond Hunts problems and sign him...why not let it be the Browns?

The Browns, for years, did all they could to help Josh Gordon with problems, so I feel comfortable with the Browns helping Hunt get through his issues.

Welcome to Cleveland, Kareem. nanner

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Everyone deserves a 2nd chance. I am excited he is a Brown!!!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This gives us more options. Having Duke and Hunt is like having 2 extra slot receivers who can also run the ball. I think he is a better #1 than Chubb and a better 3rd down back than Duke. It will be up to the coaches to figure out how to get the most out of all 3. One thing I do like is that we are able to use these backs in the pass game a lot more in that Air Raid system. hell you can run some of those verticals with these backs or you can have them crossing. Just unlimited options with these dawgs.

Now with all that said, he is probably looking at a 4 game suspension maybe 6 since he is a brown and not a raven or Steeler. No risk and high reward. Lets see if he can learn from his mistakes and make a difference.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 02/11/19 03:58 PM.
Legend
Legend
I think he's looking at more like an 8-10 game suspension.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Kareem will eat from Chubb's carries, not Duke's.

Is this really a desirable thing, though? Chubb did outstanding for us last year.

I didn't watch a lot of Chiefs games so I don't know much about Hunt, but he seems like that quick elusive type. Chubb seems like more of the power guy (though certainly with a burst and speed, as we saw multiple times last year).

I think if he's going to take away from Chubb it's only because Chubb would have otherwise been our workhorse. Taking carries away from Duke would be tough since Duke doesn't really carry a ton. His value is in the pass game, IMO.

I like Duke a lot, but if Hunt pans out, I'd rather we have Chubb as the feature guy and then Hunt as the speedster who we throw to when the other team is on its heels a bit.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Well, at least we don't have a REAL headcase like Josh Gordon.

#wheelsonthebusgoroundandround

This is nada like the Josh Gordon situation .. NOTHING ... just like bake and Manziel were ENTIRLEY DIFFERENT SITUATIONS ...

Hopefully Hunt can control his temper and quit being.a woman beater ..

What SHOCKS me is anyone being surprised at this .. its right in the King’s wheelhouse ... I didn’t see it coming because of Chubb ... once again i was WRONG ... *L* ..

It doesn’t SHOCK ME in the least ...

QUESTION IS .. does he play at all in 19 .. verbiage in the contract is important .. if he does play .. we got one hell of a running back on the CHEAP CHEAP ...

I don’t see this affecting Duke at all ... its sure as hell gonna affect Chubb ... it may be at least another year before he gets his 1000 yards ... *L* ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Some just refuse to grasp that this will impact the back up RB more than the starting RB. Any way you slice it, Duke will have fewer carries out of the backfield. Tab has mentioned many times that Duke may make a better WR. That may be the actual plan here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

This is for Pit and Diam. Fate and bonefish might get it, too. LOL

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Some just refuse to grasp that this will impact the back up RB more than the starting RB. Any way you slice it, Duke will have fewer carries out of the backfield. Tab has mentioned many times that Duke may make a better WR. That may be the actual plan here.
Correct, Chubb is our #1 Back. no question. Dukes became expandable, unless they move him to WR, which is a crowded field to begin with. He might be the best catching RB in the league, but is really better than the WR we have on our team at WR? I don't think he is. Jarvis, Perriman (if we sign), Higgins (if we sign), Callaway, then you have Louis coming back, Willies coming back, etc.

We need to see what the league is going to do with Hunt, and if he can stay on the straight and narrow. But Duke maybe not be here next year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A couple of things......

1) If we are going to use some of the good will the FO had going for it and sign a woman beater......why not get a woman beater who is at a position of need??...lol. Seriously I understand why we did it (see Pit's post) but I'm still not a huge fan of this one.

2) I hope this doesn't become the norm of ignoring character concerns. One or two of these guys on a roster can be influenced by the culture but when you continue to overlook issues the guys tend to become the culture. This was one of the criticisms that the Chiefs had with Dorsey and why you saw them jettison some talented guys Dorsey brought in like Peters to help clean up their locker room.

3) As for the football side of this, it is awesome to have two guys you do not have to take off the field for passing downs or give the defense a pretty large tip of what is coming when they are in.....really makes it harder for the D to guess what is coming.

4) As Purp mentioned I will not be surprised if this is the end for Duke. They really struggled how to use him last year anyway so there is that. I wonder what his trade value would be considering he is primarily a 3rd down back?

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: brownsfansince79
Kareem will eat from Chubb's carries, not Duke's.

Is this really a desirable thing, though? Chubb did outstanding for us last year.

I didn't watch a lot of Chiefs games so I don't know much about Hunt, but he seems like that quick elusive type. Chubb seems like more of the power guy (though certainly with a burst and speed, as we saw multiple times last year).

I think if he's going to take away from Chubb it's only because Chubb would have otherwise been our workhorse. Taking carries away from Duke would be tough since Duke doesn't really carry a ton. His value is in the pass game, IMO.

I like Duke a lot, but if Hunt pans out, I'd rather we have Chubb as the feature guy and then Hunt as the speedster who we throw to when the other team is on its heels a bit.

I guess you're right. I honestly though Hunt was a bit bigger like 6'1, 220 lbs, but nope, he's your average 6 footer who weighs around 200 lbs. He might get more time in the passing game than Duke, at least from the backfield.

Either way we cut it, I think we're in for another log jam like we had earlier this year with Hyde. I just hope Kitchens breaks out some wishbone and odd fronts to take advantage of the situation.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I have some thoughts on this move:

--It's not surprising knowing that it's Dorsey.

--Dorsey is a genius. We got him cheap and we can tender him next year. He will be in high demand. There is almost no risk at all involved in this signing. He will either stud out for us or we can turn him into a commodity. Brilliant move. Big splash! LOL

--Hunt will almost certainly be facing a lengthy suspension to start the year.

--Other teams were interested in Hunt. Dorsey beat them to the punch.

--I know a lot of people don't watch many games of other teams, but Hunt is better than Chubb. If he plays w/us, he won't be a backup.

--I think that if he does play for us, we will have a two-headed monster that will be the envy of the entire NFL. Both Hunt and Chubb will get a ton of usage. People might not know that Hunt is a big-time receiver, as well.

--I don't think the woman in the hotel was pregnant. I think she was a 19 year old woman who went to Kent State. I could be wrong. We discussed this at the time, but if you really watch the video, it isn't even close to what others like Mixon, Rice, Adrian Peterson, Hardy, etc. I have also read where he has been actively involved in counseling and that is why there was interest from other teams in signing Hunt.

--Bottom line.............this is a great coup by Dorsey!!!!

M
Legend
Legend
M
He's going to face a minimum of an eight game suspension per Nathan Zegura before being able to actually play.

I expect he'll be involved in another physical altercation in that time and be suspended further.

I'll be surprised if he ever plays a down on the field for the Browns.

Not the best look for the Browns after so much positive press and the future of the team.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, that Calloway kid hasn't played a down either.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Where u been Willie... King John’s NEVER CARED about CHARACTER .... EVER ...

Why would u think he’s gonna start now? ...

We drafted Calloway and when we started signing undrafted free agents after the draft i thought it was the POLICE BLOTTER not who we signed ..*L* ..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hopefully Dorsey proves to be a father like figure and sets him straight regardless of what be does for the team.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Can Duke be the Browns Julian Edelman?

If Freddie can use Duke in a similar capacity, it could be another benefit from the signing of Hunt.

If the Browns feel that Duke doesn't fit in, what would his trade value be?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah, that Calloway kid hasn't played a down either.

Calloway. The New Hayden!

I was not aware Callaway faced a lengthy NFL suspension.

Hunt may play a down for the Browns. He may not. I'll be more surprised if he does.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm a little baffled that people aren't realizing what a great move this is by Dorsey??????????

He is going to be a restricted FA after the season. Thus, we have all kinds of options for a guy that will most likely be a very, very hot commodity. We can keep him and use his talents. He is one of the very top backs in the entire NFL! We can tag him, trade him, etc, etc.

I was just watching a little bit of a show on TV and I think it was Daniely Jeremiah talking about how the Browns were huge winners in this deal and that there is almost no risk. And then he said, the Chiefs are the real losers here. And the lady host said, "yeah, for doing the right thing." And then they were talking about how in past years, the Browns would have had something like this happen to them. Now, they are the winners and the Chiefs are the losers.

Guys, this was an outstanding move!!!

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
I thought Kareem only had one incident of violence? Did I miss something?

M
Legend
Legend
M

Three.

Link

Legend
Legend

Duke as our Tyreek Hill?
Duke is only 1" shorter and mere hundredths of a second slower in the 40.... very comparable players, statistically speaking.

However, we're already pretty darn crowded at WR, and even as depleted as we were at WR at times this past season, he wasn't getting those touches. It's interesting to think about, but I wouldn't bet too heavily on it. I think it is more likely that Duke is trade bait in April.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Not sure i agree Hunt is better ... hes really good ... i’d say there DIFFERENT ... totally different types of RB’s ...

When ever he gets to play this year he will be a GREAT ADDITION ... dude can ball ... thumbsup

Hunt is REALLY REALLY GOOD ... i wasn’t sold on him after his rookie year .. last year he sold the hell out of me ..

Just like i rooted for and still do root for Josh to turn his life around .. i hope Hunt kicks his demons butt also ..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
this is what I expect to happen. 10 game suspension, 5 of which will be on 2018. The only reason it is this long is because of the night club punch thrown also.

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Three.

Link

I forgot about the others. Not a good luck. I thought he only had one incident, not a history of them. Maybe we found our new FB?

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm totally conflicted. He's a huge talent, but ... it's a business, but ... I don't want a team of choir boys to use someone else's expression, but ...

I hope he turns his life around and manages to outweigh his past with helping others and being a positive influence by talking about what he has been through and learned.

I hope he doesn't become a distraction to the team or create friction.

On the face of it KH owned what he did and has handled his situation differently than Ray Rice and to my knowledge Mixon .... I hope that appearance is deep and sincere.

Last edited by mgh888; 02/11/19 04:32 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Hunt is better, but that isn't a knock on Chubb. I think we could have the best one-two punch in the entire NFL. They will both get a ton of touches.

We can also tag him and trade him. There is almost nothing to lose here.

I do want to add a general comment that it never ceases to amaze me that people are shocked when they find out football players can be violent. LOL. Seriously. That's amazing!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I want to add that the NFL players on the show were saying that Hunt won't be a locker room problem. They said that Hunt was extremely well-liked by Mahomes, Kelsey, and the crew.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I have some thoughts on this move:

--It's not surprising knowing that it's Dorsey.

--Dorsey is a genius. We got him cheap and we can tender him next year. He will be in high demand. There is almost no risk at all involved in this signing. He will either stud out for us or we can turn him into a commodity. Brilliant move. Big splash! LOL

--Hunt will almost certainly be facing a lengthy suspension to start the year.

--Other teams were interested in Hunt. Dorsey beat them to the punch.

--I know a lot of people don't watch many games of other teams, but Hunt is better than Chubb. If he plays w/us, he won't be a backup.

--I think that if he does play for us, we will have a two-headed monster that will be the envy of the entire NFL. Both Hunt and Chubb will get a ton of usage. People might not know that Hunt is a big-time receiver, as well.

--I don't think the woman in the hotel was pregnant. I think she was a 19 year old woman who went to Kent State. I could be wrong. We discussed this at the time, but if you really watch the video, it isn't even close to what others like Mixon, Rice, Adrian Peterson, Hardy, etc. I have also read where he has been actively involved in counseling and that is why there was interest from other teams in signing Hunt.

--Bottom line.............this is a great coup by Dorsey!!!!

FWIW, I got the "big splash" graphic.

I agree with what you're saying. Overall, this is a low risk move, except maybe from a PR standpoint. Maybe.

Hunt is talented, and Dorsey's statement has it that Dorsey did not make a rash decision here. He feels comfortable bringing him in, and believes Hunt understands the expectations.

As you said, we hold the cards here, contract-wise.

I do have one question - I have seen it mentioned here, as well as on other social media, that this could spell the end of Duke here. Why would Duke be the odd one out? Why would it not be Hilliard or Mays?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No he hasn't...lol.

Again I don't think bringing in Calloway or Hunt in is a big deal in itself, but I do worry about us signing too many of these guys and they become the culture instead of being influenced by it. Look no further than the Bungels or Dorsey's last team the Chiefs where they traded guys to clean up the mess. Nothing to worry about yet, but is something to keep an eye on imo.

As for the Hunt signing itself....as Pitt and Vers said low risk high reward move that at the very least could net us a pick next year. Also as I mentioned previously it allows us to keep Hunt/Chubb in on any down without losing any pass catching ability or conversely potentially tipping our hand as to what we are doing. Potentially a pretty big deal.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
see ya Duke. the Browns just added a homerun threat at RB instead of sticking with singles hitters

O
Legend
Legend
O
My first reaction is... ugh and yuck (the assault/violence issue).

My second reaction is... why? (the us already having Chubb and Duke issue)

I get he's probably an improvement over Chubb and/or Duke... but how much of an improvement? I'm still not clear on whose touches he's going to take, but... to me... we've made a very marginal improvement (albeit extremely cheaply) but really compromised the image of our team. The argument that his woman-beating incident isn't as bad as others really doesn't hold water. Assaulting a woman really isn't acceptable.

Like others, I don't like it at all. It'll leave a bad taste in my mouth. All I can do is root for him (in that, I root for him to be a good person). Hey, Marshawn Lynch was run out of Buffalo for similar stuff, iirc. He ended up turning it around.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think Hunt is better, but that isn't a knock on Chubb. I think we could have the best one-two punch in the entire NFL. They will both get a ton of touches.

We can also tag him and trade him. There is almost nothing to lose here.

I do want to add a general comment that it never ceases to amaze me that people are shocked when they find out football players can be violent. LOL. Seriously. That's amazing!

We’ve had lots of disagreements and some knock down drag outs over the years ... this is AN EXTREMELY FUN ONE TO HAVE .... *L* ..

Were splitting hairs IMO ... there both REAL GOOD ...

The sooner he gets on the field ... THE BETTER IMO ... thumbsup

It is a BRILIANT MOVE by King John ... no downside with a never ending flow of upside ... we could get a first round pick for him ... i’m Sure Sashi would Have done better ... rofl ...

General comment .... I will root for Hunt the human being first and the football player 2nd .. just like i did/do with Josh ..

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign Kareem Hunt

Link Copied to Clipboard