Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Quote:
The analytics team had limited influence.

Which is how it should be. I'm all in favor of using analytics to the greatest extent possible but it's one part of the evaluation process, not a part of the selection process.. once the evaluation process is done and the boards are set, they are set, analytics is done.. go play golf, have a good time.

yebat' Putin
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
The analytics team had limited influence.

Which is how it should be. I'm all in favor of using analytics to the greatest extent possible but it's one part of the evaluation process, not a part of the selection process.. once the evaluation process is done and the boards are set, they are set, analytics is done.. go play golf, have a good time.

Do you really believe that in a situation where you have to assess hundreds of players in a short period of time, you do not use analytics?

The notion that an analytics department has nothing to do with the Draft, is aberrant to say the least. Its like saying that Marketing research department had nothing to do with a product launch....

Also amazing people continue with the same old arguments that the problem was the business and analytics people in the organization, when clearly the problem was with the football guys.

Last edited by rastanplan; 03/14/19 02:02 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Also amazing people continue with the same old arguments that the problem was the business and analytics people in the organization, when clearly the problem was with the football guys.

But they were the same people for a couple years there...

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hell, for a couple of years did we even have a football guy? Because since we actually got one things sure have turned around.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Cleveland Browns Analytics department not a part of draft process

https://factoryofsadness.co/2018/03/26/cleveland-browns-analytics-nfl-draft-2018/

"according to ESPN Cleveland’s Tony Grossi."

I have posted this several times, but some keep ignoring it:

Quote:
Mayfield pick was Dorsey's pick. For once, Haslam didn't parade in friends to watch last year's draft. It was a scout's draft. The analytics team had limited influence. Dorsey was skeptical of their helpfulness when he first got the job. He told an associate that he didn't need "f---ing nerds" to tell him how to evaluate players.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25797...history-collide

That is from Seth Wickersham, who had inside access to what the Browns were doing.

The line after the "nerds" reference is "he's since warmed up" and "limited influence" is different than no influence.

Why are we still trying to spin this?

Analytics are good when used appropriately. Good evaluation has to be inputted into the "equations," though. Hopefully we've found a good balance.

I don't expect the analytics guys to be good scouts. I do believe they can help the scouts be more methodical (or quantifiable/consistent) in their scouting.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I agree with spending some of these low rounders to pick up say second rounders. Mix trades, trade picks, but we have some solid folks here in this draft.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

Why are we still trying to spin this?

Until each and every one of us abandon all logic and reason and follow the puppet masters.

B
Legend
Legend
B
There is no use trying. They don't understand and have a vendetta because they supported Hue and feel he got a bad deal.

Hue got a new deal in Cincy. What's he doing now?

Let's just stop. We have lot's to root for. Dorsey is doing a great job, Depo is doing a great job. Let's just wash our hands clean....I have.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
How about you and the other Sashi guys stop? You rip Hue all the time and those of us who supported Hue don't say a word. We just take it. The only guys talking about Hue are the guys who continually insult him. I don't talk about him. Other supporters don't talk about him, But, you and other Sashi lovers won't let it go!

You talk up Sashi and attack anyone who dares question him.

You make up stories [Yes, you were the one who brought up Depo in this thread] and then get offended when people post quotes from people who actually have inside information.

You guys then make things personal.

You stop.

I would love to stop, but you guys will not let it go and then get all insulted if someone dares question you w/actual proof.

Let it go and it will die.

B
Legend
Legend
B
How about you and the other Sashi guys stop? You rip Hue all the time and those of us who supported Hue don't say a word. We just take it. The only guys talking about Hue are the guys who continually insult him. I don't talk about him. Other supporters don't talk about him, But, you and other Sashi lovers won't let it go!

You talk up Sashi and attack anyone who dares question him.

You make up stories [Yes, you were the one who brought up Depo in this thread] and then get offended when people post quotes from people who actually have inside information.

You guys then make things personal.

You stop.

I would love to stop, but you guys will not let it go and then get all insulted if someone dares question you w/actual proof.

Let it go and it will die.

LOL....that's choice.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Choice?

You started this w/this statement:

Quote:

It's time to move up. That is Depos plan.

I replied w/actual an actual quote from an insider and somehow you, Grimm, and Dep act like I started it.

This is Dorsey's team. Not Depo's.

Btw--------------I love analytics. When I got my Math Major, Statistics was my biggest strength. I taught math for years. I introduced Data Analysis to our school district a long, long time ago. Goals based off of previous scores, data tracking, benchmarks, new goals, new plans to meet those goals, etc, etc.

I love analytics. They are used by every freaking team in the league. And the guy y'all hated...Joe Banner...was the guy who first made analytics a priority. He even hired Sashi Brown.

Analytics have a place in football and every other single business I can think of. However, Depo is not calling the shots. Dorsey is.

Let it go, peen. And I will, too.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Cleveland Browns Analytics department not a part of draft process

https://factoryofsadness.co/2018/03/26/cleveland-browns-analytics-nfl-draft-2018/

"according to ESPN Cleveland’s Tony Grossi."

I have posted this several times, but some keep ignoring it:

Quote:
Mayfield pick was Dorsey's pick. For once, Haslam didn't parade in friends to watch last year's draft. It was a scout's draft. The analytics team had limited influence. Dorsey was skeptical of their helpfulness when he first got the job. He told an associate that he didn't need "f---ing nerds" to tell him how to evaluate players.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25797...history-collide

That is from Seth Wickersham, who had inside access to what the Browns were doing.

Why did you cut out THE NEXT sentence that says he has since warmed up to analytics? Talk about misleading.

Dorsey is making the decisions and setting our direction as an organization, as it should be. But analytics, as you said, is part of every organization. That statement also just days "when he first got the job" so who knows how much it was used during the draft. Obviously less than the past.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Why did you cut out THE NEXT sentence that says he has since warmed up to analytics? Talk about misleading.

I wasn't trying to be misleading. I was replying to peen's statement.

You, Grimm, and Dep have all ignored what he said and chose to chastise me. I didn't start this crap. I ignore a ton of this crap. However, I am not going to apologize for challenging untrue statements that are fueled by zero factual evidence and an agenda that is meant to deceive.

I will bow out of this thread now and y'all can go and on. I made my point. Ballpeen's statement was not accurate.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What if the analytics guys have taken some time to listen to the football guy.

What if the football guys have taken some time to listen to the analytics guy.

What if there is a common area?

I suggest that they can coexist....

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
There is no use trying. They don't understand and have a vendetta because they supported Hue and feel he got a bad deal.

Talk about just making up BS.

rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

j/c

I'd rather the Anti-Sashi crowd stop. Without Sashi, there is no John Dorsey in Cleveland... so spin spin spin spin spin spin....

P
Legend
Legend
P
I thought that was because Hue sucked? smile

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Pull your pants up, your agenda is starting to show. shocked

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well I think you need to make up your mind. Since Sashi did such a great job it must have been the sucktitude of Hue that brought Dorsey here.

You're the one here trying to give all the credit of the sucktitude to Sashi after saying how great Sasi was for so long. Make up your mind would ya?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Wow. Peen was right. "You guys" don't get it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh we get it. Tearing down a team doesn't take a genius. Trading back in the draft and cutting cap space is easy. Nobody deserves a statue for that.

Then to top all of that off, all anybody even said in favor of Hue was that he should get a shot with some talent on the roster. He did and he failed miserably at it. He needed to go.

You see, one side admits what a failure Hue was. The other side thinks a demolition guy is some kind of hero. There's a difference.

Maybe it's time you guys man up and admit Sashi sucked too.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Oh we get it. Tearing down a team doesn't take a genius. Trading back in the draft and cutting cap space is easy. Nobody deserves a statue for that.

Then to top all of that off, all anybody even said in favor of Hue was that he should get a shot with some talent on the roster. He did and he failed miserably at it. He needed to go.

You see, one side admits what a failure Hue was. The other side thinks a demolition guy is some kind of hero. There's a difference.

Maybe it's time you guys man up and admit Sashi sucked too.

people still talking about sashi lol....

when is enough enough?

well all Expansion teams have high turnover the first 3 or 4 years. just what happens when you start from nothing....

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
P
Legend
Legend
P
You mean like last year and this year?

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
You mean like last year and this year?

yea. one or two more year of high turnover... the way it is....

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
People say tearing down a team the right way is easy, then I look at Gettleman and the Giants...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gettleman is having a hard time making up his mind that tearing down the team is what he wants to do. Who could blame him? GM's tearing down the team face moronic fans with pitchforks and even more moronic owners that listen to moronic fans wanting to fire GM's that tear down teams.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
No. You don't get it.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Because as Depo warned, it is a hard road. All with the plan was good until Hue started to get nervous.

As I have said many times, I am very glad Dorsey is here making our picks. My only beef is with the few people who somehow feel that Depo is a useless fool.

Like I said, a stupid thread in a football forum. It should be moved to the smack forum. No football is being talked here.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
jfanent Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I started the thread, I don't care if it gets moved. The intent was to see where people felt the line should be drawn with adding new bodies to the team.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
All Pro
All Pro
I'd say after a three-peat as Super Bowl champs we've done enough, but I don't think that was the question. smile

As far as free agents this year, I'd like to bring in another DB (probably safety).

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum When is enough enough?

Link Copied to Clipboard