Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I know this probably would never happen other than in my imagination, but us trading Hunt to the Steelers for Antonio Brown would actually make sense for both teams.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I know this probably would never happen other than in my imagination, but us trading Hunt to the Steelers for Antonio Brown would actually make sense for both teams.

That makes a lot more sense than some of those wild scenarios the pundits throw out.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Call me crazy, but I think what is lost in the Kareem Hunt signing, if he plays well, is Chubb being a trade target moreso than Duke ( or any backup RB if Duke is traded this offseason).

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

There is no way on this earth that Chubb is being traded.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Why is that? If Hunt plays lights out in 2019 ( in the games available to him, of course).... maximize Cubbs value at that point when RBs are a plenty.

You have Hunt for one year before you need to make a decision.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Why is that? If Hunt plays lights out in 2019 ( in the games available to him, of course).... maximize Cubbs value at that point when RBs are a plenty.

And that’s what makes him valuable in the trade market too.

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Does anyone know when a ruling on Hunt's suspension is scheduled to be made?

Not that I have heard.

In looking back, the NFL puts these things on the backburner. They get to them when there is nothing better to do.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Tulsa #1599487 03/07/19 07:44 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Hunt? Sure. Him too, but I don't know if you're willing to part ways with him.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V

There is no way on this earth that Chubb is being traded.

You are almost certainly right, but it's not like it is a bad idea. I don't believe in limiting your options. Eric Dickerson was traded. So was Marshall Faulk. Those dudes are HOFers.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Hunt? Sure. Him too, but I don't know if you're willing to part ways with him.

Buy low and sell high. HIs potential value is high and marketable. The almost sure thing is selling that potential.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Does anyone know when a ruling on Hunt's suspension is scheduled to be made?

Not that I have heard.

In looking back, the NFL puts these things on the backburner. They get to them when there is nothing better to do.

this...

NFL loves to allow a guy to go all the way through training camp, build chemistry with the starters, take up another players opportunity to shine, and then booommmmm... right before preseason, hes gone for 10 games.

He should already know his suspension, smdh.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Heard something interesting on moving the chains today. Haven't read thhis thread so don't know if it was mentioned.

Jim Miller was talking about guys signing 1 year show me contracts and mentioned Hunt. Pat Kirwin pointed out that Hunt is different because at the end of the season he is going to be an exclusive rights free agent.

I didn't realize that. Not sure how to confirm it so sorry for no link

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Speaking of Hunt, would it be very much to ask for the NFL to let us know about his pending "availability" (or lack thereof) in the 2019 season? It matters in regards to how we approach the FA portion of the off season and also how we approach the draft. We're not splitting the atom here, just decide his length of suspension and whether there will be any "time served" relief for the games he missed after his release in in 2018.

Jester #1602052 03/12/19 09:10 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester
Heard something interesting on moving the chains today. Haven't read thhis thread so don't know if it was mentioned.

Jim Miller was talking about guys signing 1 year show me contracts and mentioned Hunt. Pat Kirwin pointed out that Hunt is different because at the end of the season he is going to be an exclusive rights free agent.

I didn't realize that. Not sure how to confirm it so sorry for no link

I believe that he's only an ERFA is his suspension is more than 10 games.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I hope that request is granted.

Legend
Legend

Could only be a good thing. Truth be told, not granting it would seem a bit absurd.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1607249 03/25/19 09:24 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
I've long felt that suspended players should be able to do everything as a teammate but suit up for games. Being in a positive environment, instead of sitting on his hands, or worse, hanging out with people he shouldn't because he's bored.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I've long felt that suspended players should be able to do everything as a teammate but suit up for games. Being in a positive environment, instead of sitting on his hands, or worse, hanging out with people he shouldn't because he's bored.

Completely agree... how does it help having a player away from the team for several weeks?

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anybody remember the story of Josh Hamilton the baseball player?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

So do I,, all too often we abandon them and that's when problems are more likely to occur. JMO, but allowing them to be with the team and allowing them to feel like a member has got to be helpful.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I'll just say that I have to agree with those saying it seems like the NFL policy of banishing players away from the team and the stadium during suspensions seems counterproductive to giving them support and supplying them with a positive environment with which to thrive. Having played sports during times of difficulty in my life have shown me that there's no better support system than team and family.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

I don't,, enlighten me

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

So do I,, all too often we abandon them and that's when problems are more likely to occur. JMO, but allowing them to be with the team and allowing them to feel like a member has got to be helpful.

Not only that, but also to see what they are missing. Being with the team, but only allowed to watch, could possibly be a great motivational tool...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 03/26/19 11:15 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Yes. I do remember Josh Hamilton.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

I don't,, enlighten me
In 2000 he was the best prospect in baseball, a natural hitter with power and speed. He was on the verge of making it to the majors when he was involved in an auto accident the injured him in a way that he had to take time off. Idle for the first time in his life, he started hanging out with the wrong people and ended up drug addicted (+ alcohol). After repeated failed drug tests, he was suspended in 2004 having never made it to the majors.

He got sober (with great difficulty), and over the span of years, worked his way back to the league via the independent leagues. He finally made it to the majors in 2007. For the next several years he was agueably the best player in the game, he was the AL MVP in 2010. His performance in the 2008 all-star home run derby still holds the record for most HR in a single round (28) and the most HR on consecutive pitches (13).

But injuries started to take their toll, and in 2015, while off injured, he relapsed. He was on major league rosters for a few more years, but played his last game in 2015.

He's been called 'The Natural' because of the similarity between his story and the fictional Roy Hobbs. Drug addiction/alcoholism cost him 6 years of early career and cut the end of his career short, but in his prime, he was among the best in the game. What could have been...

And it all started with hanging out with the wrong people.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
That should show you how little baseball I watch.. LOL Hell of a story,,, thanks

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I think we are all pretty much in agreement here. It's kind of a sensitive subject, but let's look at it a bit closer.

Backdrop: Hunt was reportedly very drunk when he had that incident. I believe his other two incidents also involved alcohol.

Sensitive part: I think anyone--or knows someone who has had/has an alcohol/drug problem understands that idleness often leads to depression which in turns leads to further abuse of alcohol/drugs.

Thus, if Hunt is isolated from his team and is forced to watch them from afar, he might very well become depressed and be more likely to partake in activities that he believes will help him forget about his problems. Self-guilt is a major component of many alcohol and drug abusers.

Conversely, staying busy and being in a structured environment is often helpful for those who turn to "partying" to avoid their depression.

Thus, I think the NFL needs to reexamine their policy and allow the players to remain a part of the team. I get that they feel the need to punish the player's transgressions, but rehabilitation is far more important in the grand scheme of things.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Thus, if Hunt is isolated from his team and is forced to watch them from afar, he might very well become depressed and be more likely to partake in activities that he believes will help him forget about his problems. Self-guilt is a major component of many alcohol and drug abusers.

I understand and agree with the sentiment, but not the proposed implementation.

The team and football is not what will keep him sober. His program of recovery and the people around that is the only thing that will do that. Can there be overlap? Yes, there can, but it isn't a given. What is of utmost importance is that no matter what the league states in regard to his employment and permission to show up to his job, he is absolutely free to pursue sobriety with sober people. The BROWNS are not what will keep him (or Josh Gordon) sober. If he doesn't have a separate program of recovery that is apart from football, then he will never be sober if he is ever separated from football. It really is that simple and clear cut.

That said, what you say about a structured environment does hold true as long as the person surrenders to the structure (or has that choice taken away as it is with something court-ordered).... but, that's the whole crux of recovery itself - surrendering to the fact that your way doesn't work and accepting that you need to start living a new way.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While I certainly agree with your sentiment, setting up the best environment and possible scenario to assist someone certainly helps.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Absolutely, and I would never discount that, ever, but it does not change that his recovery needs to exist and be strong outside of ANY part of his life that might go away (e.g. football). If it isn't, then it isn't going to last - guaranteed.

So, while I totally agree that it could/would likely be helpful to him if the league changed that policy, it is by no means necessary. I mean, hell.. we could all use an employer that is supportive of us, but life can be plenty good if it isn't, ya know?

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
Once again you are correct. But one must consider that the NFL has taken the stand that they care about the rehabilitation and the life of their players.

So they publicly claim to be supportive of their players. And let's face it, the NFL is a part of the entertainment business and is under the microscope. So if they plan to actually back up their public claims of being supportive of their players one would expect they try to make an effort to do so.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Absolutely, and I would never discount that, ever, but it does not change that his recovery needs to exist and be strong outside of ANY part of his life that might go away (e.g. football). If it isn't, then it isn't going to last - guaranteed.

So, while I totally agree that it could/would likely be helpful to him if the league changed that policy, it is by no means necessary. I mean, hell.. we could all use an employer that is supportive of us, but life can be plenty good if it isn't, ya know?

I think we can tend to over emphasize someone's "addiction" when looking from the outside. Is he an alcoholic or is he just a product of dumb decisions and hanging with the wrong crowd? Alcohol and addiction may not be the demons to the extent of a Josh Gordon. Maybe he just needs to see how professionals carry themselves and removing him from that just makes dumb decisions more likely.

Either way, the NFL banishing these players from "structure" just seems very counterproductive. Not being eligible to play seems punishment enough.

FATE #1607434 03/26/19 04:20 PM
Legend
Legend
Absolutely. WE don't know.

If he's not alcoholic, then he probably just needs mentoring... maybe a guy like Landry to tell him to stop being a dumbass. smile

As for the banning.... I think the reason for it is deeper: when a player is banned/suspended, they do not count toward the roster, they do not accrue games toward an accrued season, and they do not receive any pay. Saying that you are going to enforce all of that, but then require the player to still come around the team, practice, and everything else? The CBA and NFLPA would blow that up in a heartbeat, and any insurance involved probably would as well (if the player got injured during a practice when he was suspended, what insurance company would cover that?? None). Also, it hits the teams - which gives the teams and extra incentive to make efforts that their players don't end up in that spot in the first place.

In the end, I have no problem with supporting the enforcement of accountability, or of any parties being protective of themselves while a player is suspended. It is a business, afterall.

Quote:
he NFL has taken the stand that they care about the rehabilitation and the life of their players

Well, they may insinuate as much, but I think we all know that this is just P.R. lipservice. They don't actually care; they only care that people THINK they care.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Just to look at another side, what if he got hurt while at the facilities?

I think there are liability issues that make it cleaner to just say he can have no contact until he starts getting paid again.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Great points Purp.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Can someone clarify exactly what "...he's left the door open..." means?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Quote:

I understand and agree with the sentiment, but not the proposed implementation.

The team and football is not what will keep him sober. His program of recovery and the people around that is the only thing that will do that. Can there be overlap? Yes, there can, but it isn't a given. What is of utmost importance is that no matter what the league states in regard to his employment and permission to show up to his job, he is absolutely free to pursue sobriety with sober people. The BROWNS are not what will keep him (or Josh Gordon) sober. If he doesn't have a separate program of recovery that is apart from football, then he will never be sober if he is ever separated from football. It really is that simple and clear cut.

That said, what you say about a structured environment does hold true as long as the person surrenders to the structure (or has that choice taken away as it is with something court-ordered).... but, that's the whole crux of recovery itself - surrendering to the fact that your way doesn't work and accepting that you need to start living a new way.

True enough, I just personally feel as if it's better if he's with the team rather than Isolated... Why not pursue sobriety with and beyond the team?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hunt The Player

Link Copied to Clipboard