Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
My post game thought - we have a HC ladies and gents!

Man what a difference. You can just see how PREPARED and ready to go this team was. The paying attention to little details. We haven’t seen a team prepared in years and the difference was astounding!

My only (/biggest) concern is his health. Blowing a vessel didn't look out of the question a few times. Get him on some yoga, Joe Thomas.

Not to mention, he already had a life-treatening health scare not too long ago. Dude should probably give Mangini a call and see how he lost all that weight a few years ago.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
At the risk of being called a wet blanket, debbie-downer, or even a hater...

Jake Delhomme also looked unstoppable in his 1-and-done preseason games... I'm not saying it's the same thing as with Baker, or even that what I'm pointing out is relevant at all. Just saying that that's what this 1 battered Browns fan thought of when Baker's O marched down the field and called it a day.

I gotta watch more before I try to make any truly insightful comments on the game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
I'll tell you what makes it different.

I keep harping on this. Plus-level throws.

There are maybe half of the QBs in the league who would attempt and make the TD throw to Higgins. Less than that would make that throw multiple times. Baker usually has 3-6 plus level throws a game.

I think that's what sets him apart and should be what gives us hope. That was a crazy pinpoint accurate throw with a good level of difficulty. He seems to thrive with those types of throws.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J/c

I also thought the refs blew the Callaway non-TD ... but, it didn’t hurt us LAST NIGHT. Hopefully we don’t end up on the wrong side of them during the year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
I like when the refs explain what they saw when making the final call. Didn't get that last night. Should be a requirement, IMO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Not going to rehash what has already been said but will add ...

Kitchens needs to calm down. Not everything that happens in the game is the end of the world. Way too demonstrative over every little thing. I have this gnawing in my mind that some of it is for show. Not a fan of that.

How many times have we complained about complacency on the sidelines? Coaches looking lost or just standing there with their thumbs up their asses? I find his involvement refreshing. Also, I don't think it's for show, I believe it comes from a mentality that he's not letting anything slide, that they've all been taught how to do their jobs properly, and when a mistake is made it will be dealt with immediately. I also believe he wears his emotions on his sleeve, when he's happy he's exuberant, when he's pissed everyone will know exactly why. I'm good with his sideline demeanor, all aspects of it. JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah I agree. Good point

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Baker is elite.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Something I loved seeing last night, when Guiseppi had his return, Baker was one of the first to congratulate him, then went over and took the ball from him to make sure it got put away for him. That wasn't a starting QB doing it, that was a teammate. He's got a personality made for this game, laser accuracy, incredible leadership qualities, great vision, and a really good arm.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That’s quite a lot, and he played til the bitter end

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Something I loved seeing last night, when Guiseppi had his return, Baker was one of the first to congratulate him, then went over and took the ball from him to make sure it got put away for him. That wasn't a starting QB doing it, that was a teammate. He's got a personality made for this game, laser accuracy, incredible leadership qualities, great vision, and a really good arm.

Was just talking to a friend about this.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Agree with majority of comments. That TD pass to Higgins was a thing of beauty.

I don't think I've watched us completely outgun a team like that before. We tripped ourselves up. I know it's pre-season but that was a statement of intent. I also know teams who go 4-0 in the pre-season can soil the bed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Class move. thumbsup

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was thinking about the fumble at the goal line and Hyman's fumble. In a real game, Chubb is carrying that ball at the goal line, and either OBJ, Landry, or Higgins are likely heading for the endzone. It's unlikely those balls get put on the turf. Callaway was just plain robbed by the ref, and by the replay officials. That's 21 extra points, assuming the kicker doesn't brain fart every time he steps on the field. That is some serious firepower.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I was in and out of the Browns' game because the Indians were playing a pretty important game at the same time, but I saw the opening drive. I was really glad we didn't a.) defer the kickoff as we have seen in past years and b.) that we were in attack mode right from the get. It looked like Freddie wanted to get Mayfield, Chubb, and a couple others off the field ASAP, but not before they did something positive.

I also saw the TD pass to Callaway and I was annoyed but not surprised that the review didn't overturn the call on the field. Like several games last year it appeared that the review was a sham intended to support the refs on the field more than it was intended to get the call right. Not for the first time it felt like the league was saying - in the face of clear evidence to the contrary, IMO - "Who you gonna believe, us or your lyin' eyes?".

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I was thinking about the fumble at the goal line and Hyman's fumble. In a real game, Chubb is carrying that ball at the goal line, and either OBJ, Landry, or Higgins are likely heading for the endzone. It's unlikely those balls get put on the turf. Callaway was just plain robbed by the ref, and by the replay officials. That's 21 extra points, assuming the kicker doesn't brain fart every time he steps on the field. That is some serious firepower.

The Hillard fumble was the same drive that Callaway got robbed by the refs. So that was only 14 points we could have had. Although, we doinked an extra point, and a late penalty at the end of the half likely robbed us of another 3 points. So that's another 18 points we might of put up. Add to that, the only really big play they had was a blown assignment by two of our rookies, so a potential 48-3 game? laugh

Yeah, I get the woulda-coulda-shoulda, but it's nice to see that we're capable of really throwing up a beatdown. Rather than hoping all things bounce our way for a chance at a win.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Higgins is an awesome story.

Gilbert looked pretty good, he definitely has an NFL arm.

Hilliard is a problem and not the good kind. I suspect if his play does not uptick that we will sign a back.

Stanton sucks, I felt the same way last preseason, slow to process, late throws, terribly inaccurate throws, just no what you want from a vet.

The D-line looks like a strength. Especially DT

Greedy played well, I am fairly certain Redwin stepped up thinking it was cover 4 and that greedy was bailing. Based on what I saw on the other side of the field, Redwine was correct and Greedy was wrong. The other corner ran into cover 4 all 3 of the other guys went cover 4.

The passing game looks good, as expected.

The running game looked poor as expected.

Pharoh Brown was terrible. Catching, blocking, route running. Lot's of work to do there.

BpG #1647927 08/09/19 11:29 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
Greedy played well, I am fairly certain Redwin stepped up thinking it was cover 4 and that greedy was bailing. Based on what I saw on the other side of the field, Redwine was correct and Greedy was wrong. The other corner ran into cover 4 all 3 of the other guys went cover 4.

Could have been some variation of a Cover-6 though, so you can't necessarily use the other side of the field to determine where everyone should have been. Actually, a Cover-6 scheme could explain the confusion, if Redwine or Greedy got confused as to which side of the field was dropping back the corner.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yes, you're right. It would've been 14 not 21. I know it's really early, but as a carryover from last year, and contrary to prior years, it feels like we're always in it, capable of scoring or stopping an offense at will. It will be interesting when we face good teams to see how well we stack up.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

The Hillard fumble was the same drive that Callaway got robbed by the refs. So that was only 14 points we could have had. Although, we doinked an extra point, and a late penalty at the end of the half likely robbed us of another 3 points. So that's another 18 points we might of put up. Add to that, the only really big play they had was a blown assignment by two of our rookies, so a potential 48-3 game? laugh

I thought Hilliard might have broken the plane on 1st down.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Lurker
It seems that our overall talent was better than the redskins overall talent.

- Higgins would be a #1 on a different team, in cleveland, he is a 3rd or 4th option

- Chad Thomas was pushing the pocket and overall being disruptive, very promising

- Mack Wilson wow, I am very impressed.

- The team looked happy.

- We scored 30 points....why does this matter? I read an article that said that no team who scored less than 43 points in the preseason has made it to the playoffs.

????????

The Pats scored 24, 23, 30, and 38 in last year's preseason.

Further, Baker only played 1 series. Our backups beat their backups. Many of those backups will not make the final roster.

We also had 6 penalties for 89 yards. That's not good for a team concentrating on not beating itself. I bet that Freddie is not happy about that, or the blown coverage that allowed Keenum's TD.

One thing I was encouraged about was the play of the DL. Despite missing Richardson and Vernon, they affected almost every play. The Skins 1st drive was 7 plays for 14 yards. In those 7 plays were 3 holding calls. We declined 2 of them. That's awesome/scary.

There were 0 INT by our QBs. That's great in 43 pass attempts.

We better re-sign Higgins. He is a great weapon, and it's obvious that he and Baker have great chemistry. I do not think that he's a #1 WR .... but a #2? Perhaps.

Chad Thomas had a nice game. Man was he disruptive. Devaroe and Coley also had nice games. Coley was disruptive, and that's good to see.

Mack (The Knife) Wilson had himself a fantastic game. Going into the game, if I would have said "Wilson will have a pair of INT, one for a TD, 3 tackles, ..... and 2 passed defensed ... I think that my fellow board members would have suggested that I have my head examined. (which some probably already think) if I said Wilson would play like this. His 2nd INT was just pure effort and hustle, combined with being able to see and understand what was happening around him. If I'm Kirksey, I have to wonder if I might be coming off the field on 3rd and mid to long downs.

3 sacks, 5 QB Pressures, 3 INT, (one for a TD) and 6 tackles for a loss. That ain't bad for 63 or 64 total plays.

Overall, a solid beginning.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Didn't get to watch the game yet, just the highlights. It's replaying on NFLN this afternoon and I'll record it and watch when I get back in town on Sunday... other than the highlights which have been covered..

the one thing I learned is that we have another D. Johnson on the team who runs the ball. I spent the first 3 quarters following it on my phone wondering why D. Johnson was getting carries since we traded him earlier in the day. I even clicked on it and it took me to Duke Johnson, Jr's stat page so the stat people must have been confused too. It has since been changed to D'Earnest Johnson but boy was I confused last night.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
Gilbert looked highly competent playing against backups.

Legend
Legend
He meant total for all 4 games I believe.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
He meant total for all 4 games I believe.

Ah, OK.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

M
Legend
Legend
M
PFF ReFocused, NFL Preseason Week 1: Cleveland Browns 30, Washington Redskins 10

Cleveland Browns‘ Rashard Higgins and Garrett Gilbert both played at a high level in the team’s 30-10 win over the Washington Redskins on Thursday night. Washington safety Jeremy Reaves and wide receiver Darvin Kidsy had some highlight plays in the contest, but their efforts weren’t enough to help the team to a win.

PFF’s ReFocused series features immediate takeaways from the two analysts who graded the game live. The two offer a detailed breakdown of the game’s most notable performances before the grades and advanced stats are reviewed and finalized by Senior Analysts.

Final Score

Cleveland Browns 30, Washington Redskins 10

CLEVELAND BROWNS
Rashard Higgins has been lost in Cleveland’s offseason acquisition of Odell Beckham, but with OBJ sitting this one out, it was Higgins’ turn to have a big outing. He caught a touchdown on the first drive of the game off a perfect seam pass by Baker Mayfield and had a number of other big receptions throughout the game.

Myles Garrett certainly made his presence felt in the short amount of time he was in the game. And the rest of the Browns’ defensive line followed suit. Carl Davis, Chad Thomas and Trevon Coley were in the backfield often.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS
Cornerback Jimmy Moreland was targeted early and often, and while he did give up a number of receptions into his coverage, he also came away with several big plays. He forced two pass breakups early, notched a batted pass at the line of scrimmage and was also responsible for two forced fumbles.

Wide receiver Darvin Kidsy ran strong routes and had a few nice plays. He did have a fumble, but Dwayne Haskins’ best two throws went to Kidsy.

CLEVELAND BROWNS
Backup center Austin Corbett had a rough go. He struggled with quick pass-rushers and was too easily controlled at the line of scrimmage on runs to either side of him.

The only touchdown the Browns’ defense allowed was a busted coverage on a go route. Rookie LSU product Greedy Williams missed the assignment playing the flats, and the go route was wide open down the right sideline.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS
Linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton saw early action tonight and sometimes appeared lost in space on pass plays. He had a key missed tackle after a catch underneath on the first drive of the game and had multiple negatively graded played against the run.

The offensive line really struggled in pass protection and also the run, making it tough to get any drives going. Washington’s quarterbacks rarely had time, but even when they did, they made poor decisions or just bad throws.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-refocus...ton-redskins-10

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

- Higgins continues to impress ... he’s really coming into his own

- Callaway had a few nice plays as well (including what SHOULD have been a TD)

Thanks to all those that posted during the game.

I've been a huge fan of Higgins since he and Baker seemed to hit it off last year. I figured part of it was because they were in the 2nd team together when Baker didn't get any 1st reps ... just figured they created some chemistry. But throughout the season, while he wasn't as flashy as Calloway, he just seems to have a knack for creating a little separation and he catches the ball when it's in his radius and it's catchable.... I honestly think we have an embarrassment of riches at WR.

Hope I get to see the game when it repeats.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

- Higgins would be a #1 on a different team, in cleveland, he is a 3rd or 4th option

- Chad Thomas was pushing the pocket and overall being disruptive, very promising

- The team looked happy.

- We scored 30 points....why does this matter? I read an article that said that no team who scored less than 43 points in the preseason has made it to the playoffs.

????????

Further, Baker only played 1 series. Our backups beat their backups. Many of those backups will not make the final roster.

43 total points for all 4 preseason games.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

- The team looked happy.

????????

43 total points for all 4 preseason games.

OK, that clears it up.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J/c

If I’m Washington I’m giving Trent a new deal ... that is if they have ideas of winning any time soon

Legend
Legend
Just watching the game now.

Washington is really good...

...at holding.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Every play

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Just watching the game now.

Washington is really good...

...at holding.

I heard Joe Thomas on the radio this afternoon, and he thinks holding calls (if they're actually called) should be credited to the defensive player who was held just like a sack. Myles Garrett had 3-4 holding calls that he forced last night.

Dave #1648102 08/09/19 04:39 PM
Legend
Legend
Callaway got robbed of a TD.

#GMSTRONG
Dave #1648103 08/09/19 04:41 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah, Myles was legit held 4 straight plays

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah, that was an obvious TD I thought
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Callaway got robbed of a TD.

Legend
Legend
Joe Thomas is skinny.

#GMSTRONG
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 30 Redskins 10 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard