Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Line looks horrible

How about putting up a video of the whole play?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I’m proud of how we played today, we have the confidence.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Line looks horrible

Lol don’t need to. Pretty easy to see what the play should of been. Pray tell what’s wrong with the pocket there

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
My thoughts....

I don't think there's any question Baker is part of issue right now.

Im not a fan of some of the play calling.

Saying Baker stinks or we need to draft a QB is an overreaction.

The Oline wasn't as big an issue as some want to make it seem.

If Baker plays a little better or we call a better game, we win this one.

If I looked at it correctly, this is the first game the McVay-led Rams won a game when they score 20 or less points.

Freddie says it takes time to get the offense to mesh. He commented that last year was week 8 when he took over and at that point they knew what works. Is he saying he screwed up and should have had the offense play more in the preseason?

I'm confident we will get this team going... we are far from out of this thing.

Legend
Legend
There are lies, and damn lies. Posting an image of the play while Baker was in his drop is meaningless, and a damn lie.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Simply doing same thing isn’t working. We have discipline issues as well. I thinking letting monken call the plays until FK can get used to managing the game wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. An experienced playcaller doesn’t have a 1st and goal at the end of the game look like that

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
There are lies, and damn lies. Posting an image of the play while Baker was in his drop is meaningless, and a damn lie.
cant let it go.. that’s not a drop that’s his reading the field. This is a different play on the drive. The right play would have been to take off. He could have crab walked in

L
Legend
Legend
L

Oh free lesson for you.. not a drop back when you’re in shotgun. You’re welcome

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Freddie took the blame for the loss in the post-game conference.

Legend
Legend

Oh free lesson for you.. not a drop back when you’re in shotgun. You’re welcome

Bull. You just don't know the game, do you?

One way to help a weak OL is to take the shotgun snap, then drop 3 steps, to get 5 steps back faster.

Again, post the whole play.

Legend
Legend

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Freddie took the blame for the loss in the post-game conference.

As he should. This offense sucks. They're undisciplined, the playcalling sucks, and our QB is lost/uncomfortable.

Somewhere it's not working out between Freddie, Monken, and Baker. We have no identity. We have nothing. We're completely out of synch.

Time to change the gameplanning. Start calling plays Baker is comfortable with. Work to get him into a rhythm.

Baker is Baker. That can't change. The variables are Freddie and Monken. Something needs to change. Something needs to be done differently. They need to work something out so that Baker is on the same page as to what's going on and this offense becomes efficient.

And that's before discussing lack of discipline and penalties at the worst times

Cause our defense did a good job tonight. Same with special teams. The offense is unacceptabley underachieving, and we cannot stick with the status quo. If this continues Freddie and Monken need to be handed their walking papers

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 09/23/19 12:57 AM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
We have to change the game-planning, and we have to remember that we also have 3 key members of the offense out.

(RT, TE, WR3)

We can't line up to play as if nothing is different. Next man up is fine and all, but sometimes to have to speed things up, simplify reads, and go with more max protects. (which we used to good effect last year)

Legend
Legend
I would add also that we used max protects last year, even with Zeittler at RG. The OL is weaker without him, and with the backup RT in, and we are going 5 wide at times. That makes no sense.

Legend
Legend
One more for lead, in case he prefers to read as opposed to watching:

Quarterback Fundamentals Part 3 - Football Toolbox
https://footballtoolbox.net/quarterback-fundamentals-part-3

3 – Step Drops – In the Gun and Pistol, the three-step drop is used most of the time. The basic footwork is:

Separation Step
Stride as deep as comfortable.
Pivot on the staggered foot and take a long step back toward the Passing Spot.
The head and eyes should be straight down field.
The “Chin & Spine” angle should be back.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Good defensive effort overall, though I wish we'd pressured Goff more often.

Not much to say on the O, other than this one was on Freddie. Less predictable than the other 2 which is good. But his playcalling was pretty poor IMHO.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted By: Baker_Dawg
Like I said for all the people that think Baker is bailing out of the pocket. Replay Goff's pockets, they were like a womb. Baker was throwing out of a quickly closing vise.

In fact go back and watch a replay of Baltimore and KC. Mahomes is throwing out of a clean pocket 80% of the time.

You will not get great QB play without a decent oline. If you have a poor oline (pass blocking) call appropriate plays. Run and play action play, run fast RPO's.

Yeah...KC had Cameron Irving as their LT today due to injury, and Schwartz was at RT. They only allowed ONE sack today. Makes you wonder if the Browns previous coaching staff's actually adapted their systems to the players they had. Hmm.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
I have a question: Why didn't they try to run the ball at least once inside the 5 at the end of the game? Chubb was averaging around 4 yards a carry I believe.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
We did adapt, but for some reason we got away from the RPO.

Legend
Legend
Not sure of where to pin the blame on the offensive woes, but it's some combination of Freddy, Baker and Dorsey, and probably in that order.

Dorsey for not addressing the offensive line, having way too much faith in Corbett and letting Zeitler go. Baker for not being more decisive, bouncing out of the pocket pretty much every single time the play lasts longer than 3 seconds, and expecting to pull a rabbit out of his hat just because he was able to get away with it last year. That "you take it, no you take it" fumble was a Weedenesque embarrassment.

But it's Freddy that seems to have completely forgot what made us successful last year. It's like he bought into all the hype about himself, and felt he could just run whatever offense he wanted to install, and call whatever play he wanted to. He completely blew up the offensive staff and overhauled what he didn't need to overhaul.

Last year, I remember watching a "Baldy's breakdowns" where they showed them running a lot of two tight-end/1 back sets and giving Baker an easier 1-read offense, with lots of protection, so it was simplified and he could make quick decisions. So, this year, we run 4 WR sets, with a weaker line, no tail-back (which pretty much telegraphs that you're passing it), and expecting the oline to hold up for Baker while these deep complicated routes open up.

This game we switched to a RPO type offense for a drive or two, and things opened up. We moved the ball running, and it worked. So do we stick to this? No! We keep forcing the same tired crap over and over, and it resulted in the same thing every time. I would sit there and count, "One ... Two ... Well we're toast." Baker then would scramble to the outside, half of the time, right into an outside rusher, and then throw a terrible pass. Over and over. Collinsworth kept bringing it up. The NBC graphics guys brought it up, showing the terrible stats for plays lasting longer than 3 second. Browns fans everywhere were bringing it up. If I had a dog, he'd probably bring it up. But does the coaching staff switch back to calling quick hit plays? Nope ... keep trying to force that square peg in there. In fact, lets keep running empty backfield too while we're at it, so one of the best D-Lines in the NFL can pin their ears back and go after the QB.

That's all on the coaching staff. I mentioned it at the time, I wish we had kept Greg Williams with the caveat that he had to keep on most of the existing coaching staff from last year. Instead, we kept Kitchens, which I was okay with, provided he tried to keep the continuity as well. Instead, he scrapped everyone but one or two coaches. It looks like that decision is coming back to bite us. I'm hoping Kitchens can reflect back to what worked last year and learn from his mistakes. But when he calls a 4th and 9 draw play and 3 straight passes on 1st and goal from the 5, I'm really starting to worry.

The Defense played well tonight though. I've been really happy with TJ Carrie all season long. I mentioned in the game thread that he's probably had a better year than Ward so far. Even in the pre-season he just always seemed to be there making plays. The rest of the D made some big stands and got some key turnovers, and kept us in it. When we made the interception at the end, I was hoping he would run it back for 6, because that was our only hope of tying the game. tongue

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Not sure of where to pin the blame on the offensive woes, but it's some combination of Freddy, Baker and Dorsey, and probably in that order.

Dorsey for not addressing the offensive line, having way too much faith in Corbett and letting Zeitler go. Baker for not being more decisive, bouncing out of the pocket pretty much every single time the play lasts longer than 3 seconds, and expecting to pull a rabbit out of his hat just because he was able to get away with it last year. That "you take it, no you take it" fumble was a Weedenesque embarrassment.

But it's Freddy that seems to have completely forgot what made us successful last year. It's like he bought into all the hype about himself, and felt he could just run whatever offense he wanted to install, and call whatever play he wanted to. He completely blew up the offensive staff and overhauled what he didn't need to overhaul.

Last year, I remember watching a "Baldy's breakdowns" where they showed them running a lot of two tight-end/1 back sets and giving Baker an easier 1-read offense, with lots of protection, so it was simplified and he could make quick decisions. So, this year, we run 4 WR sets, with a weaker line, no tail-back (which pretty much telegraphs that you're passing it), and expecting the oline to hold up for Baker while these deep complicated routes open up.

This game we switched to a RPO type offense for a drive or two, and things opened up. We moved the ball running, and it worked. So do we stick to this? No! We keep forcing the same tired crap over and over, and it resulted in the same thing every time. I would sit there and count, "One ... Two ... Well we're toast." Baker then would scramble to the outside, half of the time, right into an outside rusher, and then throw a terrible pass. Over and over. Collinsworth kept bringing it up. The NBC graphics guys brought it up, showing the terrible stats for plays lasting longer than 3 second. Browns fans everywhere were bringing it up. If I had a dog, he'd probably bring it up. But does the coaching staff switch back to calling quick hit plays? Nope ... keep trying to force that square peg in there. In fact, lets keep running empty backfield too while we're at it, so one of the best D-Lines in the NFL can pin their ears back and go after the QB.

That's all on the coaching staff. I mentioned it at the time, I wish we had kept Greg Williams with the caveat that he had to keep on most of the existing coaching staff from last year. Instead, we kept Kitchens, which I was okay with, provided he tried to keep the continuity as well. Instead, he scrapped everyone but one or two coaches. It looks like that decision is coming back to bite us. I'm hoping Kitchens can reflect back to what worked last year and learn from his mistakes. But when he calls a 4th and 9 draw play and 3 straight passes on 1st and goal from the 5, I'm really starting to worry.

The Defense played well tonight though. I've been really happy with TJ Carrie all season long. I mentioned in the game thread that he's probably had a better year than Ward so far. Even in the pre-season he just always seemed to be there making plays. The rest of the D made some big stands and got some key turnovers, and kept us in it. When we made the interception at the end, I was hoping he would run it back for 6, because that was our only hope of tying the game. tongue

Great post, and well stated.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
just got home from the game...can I vent as a season ticket holder ? $200 club seat to add....

Freddies a failure and over rated Baker...Thanks for listening...

Zampese ...come home

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Good morning all

I got up at 1am UK time ended up falling asleep during half time but watched the game in 40 this morning.

Initial thoughts was we never got out played, we just got out coached.
baker wasn't great, i dont like this running backwards, to the side and then throwing. he had time and space in the pocket a lot and he never managed it well.

Tough L to take considering it was in our control. 2 L's at home too with some big tough road games to come.

Legend
Legend
A few of my thoughts after a few hours:

- Why didn’t Freddie challenge that push on Talib? It would have given us 2nd and 9 from the 40 instead of 3rd and 9 ... and there was less than 10 minutes in the game. He said it wasn’t worth the challenge ... umm, what am I missing? Seems idiotic to not trade a challenge for a down in that circumstance.

- Our defense played about as well as you could ever hope, especially given our personnel in the secondary.

- Murray was very good, as was Schobert ... I expect them to grade pretty highly

- Richardson also had a good game, as did Ogunjobi

- Our OL is a weak link, BUT I don’t think they were that bad last night ... Baker`` had time to throw and Chubb nearly ran for 100 against a top tier defense

- We didn’t miss a kick which is a positive ... the kicking game has been just fine thus far

Now to the stuff that’s gonna be the topic(s) of convo:

- Our offense is completely broken right now. ... it seems like a broken record, but we have no identity and are playing to our weaknesses (struggling OTs and a QB who is struggling with long developing plays)

- Where are the rub routes, crossing routes, pick plays, misdirections, creative RB alignments, etc? I’d venture to guess that we’re seeing A LOT of zone defense ... well, there has to be something to combat that, right? I just don’t get it. This offense is the worst I saw yesterday in any game.

- The last series inside the 10 yard line is just unacceptable. At first when we didn’t run and threw it I thought “well, they wanna save all 3 TO’s so if we don’t score we’ll still have a chance” ... and then we CALLED TIMEOUT on 4th down???

- How can we not have something schemed up for that scenario? How can we not run it ONCE (or even have the THREAT to run it?) This was MORONIC coaching.

- We were gifted two great defensive INTs .. and came away with 0 points after great field position on both ... unacceptable.

- Baker is a shell of himself right now ... escaping the pocket to the right for no reason. Drifting on his throws. Not progressing more than one receiving option. He’s regressing big time. This is concern #1 for this team and this franchise moving ahead.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Rookie Coach who got Out Coached.
Rookie QB...only his 15th or 16th start.... getting plays that take too long to develop... hell I'd have settled for the Wishbone again...
Aaron Donald and Clay Matthews, finished products of what we are striving for, eating QB's lunch...
And we were still in it at the end.

D w/ NEXT SECONDARY UP...and we're still we in it to the end.
These guys are are real deal. KUDOS!

I seriously thought we would be down by 14 at the half.
Empty stadium and Rams clean up QB by the end...

O needs to get back to and get comfortable w/ the basics and then work up to grandstanding.

Legend
Legend
I agree that the O needs to get back to more simplistic things that we are good at doing ... and I thought that was pretty apparent after the last two weeks ... but it was more of the same last night.

The final four plays is a microcosm of this offensive disaster: poor play design, a QB who can’t read the D and is skittish/escapes too quickly, and completely abandoning the run in key spots

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Jc

3 straight weeks of zero improvement from the offense.

We lead the league in penalties AND penalty yards.

Through 3 weeks, we are the most undisciplined team in the nfl.

All this talent on offense.....smh.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Great observations - and you , CincyDawg and Dawgs4Life all nailed it in my opinion.

I thought Baker was improved this game from an accuracy perspective (when he wasn't running around) - I don't remember him blatantly missing wide open receivers which happened in Game 1 and 2. But he still held the ball too long and started scampering when not needed.

Rookie head coach getting out coached ... and woeful play calling. Said it after game 1 and 2 and now 3 - we should have been using the basis of lasts years successful O to build on, add wrinkles and formations, but stick with something that worked as a foundation to fall back on.

With that said - out-coached with woeful play calling and injuries out the wazzoo - we should have taken the defending NFC title holders and one of the Favs for the SB this year to OT...... We have things to fix, but we are still in a much better place than we have been for the last 19 years.

One comment on the OL and Dorsey - I don't know that the OL is really all that bad at all. I think combo of Play Calling and Baker are causing most of the issue there.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Just to comment on Baker’s accuracy, I do recall a couple of throws that were off target ... one of them to Landry in a big spot (I think Collinsworth noted that he had a little wiggle at the top of his route). And another to OBJ that OBJ actually caught, but couldn’t go anywhere with it.

Lastly, It seemed like last year he was MONEY on the move to his right hitting that sideline pass ... this year it seems to have no chance

Legend
Legend
Baker was 50% last night.

Through 3 weeks, he’s 56.9% with 3 TDs and 5 picks.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah - the throw to the 'wiggling' Landry, Collingsworth sort of placed the blame on Landry. And I am not sure which OBJ throw you meant. but two questionable throws would be a huge improvement from first two games.

The running to the right might be something that teams are keyed into now they have had tape and time to study Baker? If that's a tendency and a area of strength you'd work to prevent/neutralize it.

Whether off play action or simply a naked roll out/moving pocket, I would have liked to see us call something that changed things up a bit. Man you could see what it did for the Rams when they called that a few times in the second half.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/23/19 07:44 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Line looks horrible

Lol don’t need to. Pretty easy to see what the play should of been. Pray tell what’s wrong with the pocket there

If you're saying Baker should have stepped up in the pocket to throw you may have been right. If you're suggesting Baker should have taken off and ran it in he would have never made it. It looks pretty clear to me he's over 10 yards away in that picture. It wasn't happening.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
My 02.

- I saw a superior defensive effort that on any other night, would have been enough.

- Wilkes called the best Defensive game plan for a Browns team I have seen in a long time at First Energy Stadium

- Our offense - oye. Baker is afraid in the pocket. It starts there. We all say the stats on plays over 2.5 seconds. PART of that is the Oline not being able to hold blocks, PART of that is the route concepts we are running (really streaks on 1-10 on your own 10??), PART of that is the concept of the offensive scheme, and a BIG PART of that is Baker having happy feet. The entire offense needs to gel and quick - starting with Bake.

- Chubb was having a great game - your defense was playing lights out, at WHAT POINT to exclusively go to him to open up the pass? I watched a 3rd and short with a CB playing about 7 yards off OBJ, for him to run straight down the field and get blanketed. I don't recall seeing 1 single curl route the entire game.

- I don't wanna hear about these "we hung in there with the NFC Champs" moral victory post. This was our game to win. The def set it up and the coaching staff and baker threw it down the sewer.

- Play calling...….It needs to change. If its Monkens scheme we are running, Freddie needs to take over the scheme.

****I honestly feel Freddie thought it was 3rd and 9 and that's why he ran the draw play. He knew he wanted to go on 4th there, so he ran a draw to make it 4th and short. Problem is, he didn't know what down it was. JMO.

Bottom line - this loss should have been a Win. If we lose to Balt next week, the wheels might fall off.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haven't read any other posts yet, so this is all likely been covered.

My thoughts:

- The D was outstanding. Whole new defensive backfield, Kirksey out. The game plan was fantastic. Held the Rams to 20 points.

- The Rams had to work for everything they got on offense. No huge play, they had to use sustained drives.

- We cut down on penalties. We had so many week 1 that we could the next 3 weeks with zero penalties and still lead the league.

- No excuse to not challenge that pass interference. Rookie mistake by the coach, but why did no assistant coaches urge him to do so?

- The play-calling still leaves something to be desired. Those quick passes were working, why go away from it? I have said this before, there is nothing wrong with getting 8 yards on a play. That is a success. But it seems like the play callers, and our QB at times, has a problem with this.

- Did the Rams defense do something to take those quick passes away from us? If so, I did not see it.

- That draw on 4th and 9 was not a good call. I can see snapping the ball because the week before we lined up in that same situation and let the clock run out while we tried to get the D to jump. Actually snapping the ball in that situation last night made some sense. Some. But a quick slant or something. Not a draw.

- First and goal from the 4.5 and we had timeouts. Why empty backfield to start? Run Chubb on first down.

- Not the blowout that was expected by many.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
He should have done either one of those.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I think Freddie mucked up that whole series with the non-challenge and the 4th down draw ... almost like he didn’t quite understand the benefits of challenging and/or what down it was. That was, perhaps, where we really put ourselves in a bad spot

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: Schadenfreude
I have a question: Why didn't they try to run the ball at least once inside the 5 at the end of the game? Chubb was averaging around 4 yards a carry I believe.
Good question. Maybe they thought if they ran the ball and didn't get a TD time would run out. Oh wait a minute, they still had 2 freaking time outs left. The mistakes of a rookie HC.

Legend
Legend
Well, we had ALL THREE timeouts when it was 1st and goal after the penalty ... so we either didn’t want to use any of them to perhaps get another possession (and then inexplicably changed our minds and called TO on 4th down) .. or we had the worst play calls I’ve seen in that spot

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
On not challenging the pass interference call. Maybe Freddie thought since the first penalty was against the offense the play was dead. It was like the pass interference never happened and he would have lost the challenge. I don't know.

F
Legend
Legend
F
After all this and we are still 2nd in the division and only 1 game out of being tied for first. smile

Still time to right the ship.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Rams 20 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard