Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
That’s an interesting stat and graph ... and I also understand that we probably self scout and wanted to buck the trend a bit cuz we knew they’d key on us running left

Which is classic "over-thinking it". Doesn't Bill Belichick say something along the lines of, "We find what we do well and do it. We find what the other team does well and take it away." ... When you do something well and avoid it because you worry the other team will be expecting it, you're playing mind-games with yourself.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
I’d like to know how many of those were Aaron Donald lol ... it seemed like he “won” his matchup and was in the backfield at least 85% of the time

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think I read or heard he had 12 pressures?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

I saw Freddie talking to the refs after the pass interference where the WR was forced out of bounds before the ball arrived. I'm not sure but I believe the play is dead after the encroachment penalty was called. Therefore no review of the play was allowed.

It wasn't encroachment, it was illegal formation (but they signaled it like it was a false start), and that isn't a dead-play situation.

Illegal Formation was the penalty called.

You can find the call here in the link on the play-by-play listing. It's on the drive for the Browns bolded as 'Downs'.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401128125

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I think I read or heard he had 12 pressures?
That’s probably true, although he certainly affected more snaps of course.

My dad had a good point last night: It seems like he consistently affects the game more than Myles does. Even though Myles has had a good start, he does disappear at times

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Myles needs to work on his counter moves, but I think its easier for a stud DT to impact the game more than a DE consistently

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

hmm 3 of the 4 6foot and below qbs

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: myka
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Someone needs to ask the league office just what actually constitutes a hold or penalty in our favor

I remember that play.

Collinsworth couldn't stop talking about how awesome Whitworth was.

Yeah. It was all game as usual. Very hard to watch the NFL these days.

I'll throw in my .02, in case someone cares.

For me, the part that gets me fed up is that the refs routinely call these ticky-tack holding calls, and then something like this doesn't get called. I can live with one or the other, but the level of inconsistency we've hit is out of control.

.... I'm not saying this is why we lost or trying to derail the thread. That picture just touched a nerve.... and before Diam gets in here, it's not all on the refs. They bear part of the burden, but the rules around a couple of these calls are just a mess.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
whats worse is he put his hands to the head/facemask like 3 times that play..nothing called

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Someone needs to ask the league office just what actually constitutes a hold or penalty in our favor

I remember that play.

Collinsworth couldn't stop talking about how awesome Whitworth was.

Yep, I noticed that too. Why didn't they say that should have been a penalty? It certainly should have.

I just watched the game. Man, those fans in the stadium were amped up. Not a bad game at all considering all our injuries... Chub ran well and our D played some really good ball.

I hope eventually the play calling and offense get it together.

P
Legend
Legend
P
One positive note.....

We are in sole possession of second pace in the AFC North and only one game out of being tied for first place.

wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My only post game thoughts are that this team is (so far) exactly what I said I said it would be in the season prediction thread. Decent, improved perhaps, but suffering from glaring Achilles heals in the form of a weak OL and inexperience in coaching. The coaching can get better and it seems Kitchens is open to change and adjustment. Just hope he can do it effectively before his time is up. The OL on the other hand is what it is. Unless we can scheme better to get the ball out quicker and commit to the run to wear down the defense earlier I don't think we'll see much improvement possible this season on that front. As we are right now we're not at all a playoff team. We'll lose to good teams due to stupid errors and bad strategy, beat bad teams on sheer talent and muddle about the middle.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The sky isn't falling.

I am pretty surprised that we even kept it a game with all of our injuries.

Right now, scheme and play calling do not match personnel.

That's fixable.

We have weapons on offense, we just need to learn how to use them.

More quick passes, more Chubb, more play action, and more RPO.

We'll figure it out. We have more to work with now than we've had in 20 years.

Legend
Legend
Pithy insight (that's not dirty!) that I think has some truth to it IMO. Baker flushed from pocket easily, and that is almost exclusively to the right. The OL is killing us, but BM camping with the rock doesn't help either. Where are the slants and digs? We had receivers running routes, never looking back until after the sack.Their defense looked crisper IMO.

Monken and Kitchens need to see what they can do. Rolling BM might help more. So would tackles who can move. Disgusted by this loss.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c...

That's what happens when you are in the shotgun every play and aren't even trying to establish the run. The other guys pin their ears back and come after your QB. I think Baker was under center 5 times. Total.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We will lose to the Ravens, lose to the Niners then lose to the Seahawks. That makes us 1-5. The wheels are ready to come flying off. Kitchens better scrap this air-raid crap and go back to the offense we ran last year. Run the damn ball. Put Baker up under center more than 5 times a game. Either that or he won't survive the season. Bet on that.

Legend
Legend
Kitchens on Giving Up Play Calling: "It is not going to happen"

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
At Baltimore
At San Francisco
Seattle
Bye
at New England
At Denver

That’s very tough honestly

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

From Jason Lloyd...

...So are the penalties, which are now piling up at an alarming rate. Despite Kitchens’ insistence throughout the preseason the Browns wouldn’t practice penalties, they have now piled up 35 penalties in three games. They’ve also had 11 more declined.

That means officials have already thrown 46 flags against them in three games. They’re already about halfway to the Tennessee Titans’ total of 99 flags for all of last year.

Put another way: The Browns are on pace for 245 flags against them (counting declined penalties). The leader in total flags last year, the Chiefs, had 173. Since nflpenalties.com began tracking total flags in 2009, no team has ended a season with more than 181 flags against them. The Browns are on pace to top that by Week 12.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
8 penalties per game the last 2 games is on par with the league average. The first game was an aberration, in my opinion.

Legend
Legend
J/C .....

We have 3 starters on offense (Njoku, Higgins, and Hubbard) and 5 starters on defense out. (Kirksey and the entire secondary) That's a lot for any team to deal with. It really was a miracle that we were in the game at all.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
J/C .....

We have 3 starters on offense (Njoku, Higgins, and Hubbard) and 5 starters on defense out. (Kirksey and the entire secondary) That's a lot for any team to deal with. It really was a miracle that we were in the game at all.

That's how I'm choosing to look at it as well. We probably should have got destroyed, but we didn't give up. Sometimes the 2-min offense works, sometimes it doesn't. And it's not like we failed to cross the 50. Some better playcalling and we probably tie the game (and maybe go for two).

We saw what worked and what didn't. We'll carry that forward. We need to be prepared to hit Baltimore in the mouth. Knock them off their run game and keep our offense dynamic after establishing the run.

If we beat the Ravens, we're in the drivers seat.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
As I watched that last play, I kept thinking to myself, "That's a play Higgins makes", and also thought of the fact that we missed Njoku as a red zone target. Ratley might become a good WR, but he missed almost all of training camp, and he's still trying to catch up.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V

People want to deny it and make excuses, but Baker is not playing well. It's infuriating how he bails out of a clean pocket and invites pressure.

A lot of mobile/running qbs get sacked more because they abandon the pocket too early, but Baker doesn't even run the ball. I'll never forget how Charlie Frye would do that and most folks blamed the OL. DA came in and all of a sudden our OL was good.

Baker is hurting the team right now. He is not the only problem. The scheme needs tweaked. The play calling is an issue. The lack of discipline is a problem. But, make no mistake about this........right now Baker is part of the problem. He is not playing well. And I wonder how long strong personality guys like OBJ and Landry are going to remain quiet about it?

Legend
Legend
dunno. if but i can see an explosion of those personalities if we only have 1 win going into the bye week.

and as much as it will suck......OBJ and Landry are running wide open on a consistent basis. so its not like they wouldnt have a point if they start going off.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
J/C .....

And IF we had punched it in from the 5 at the end with a two point conversion for the win, we'd still be grousing about as much about all the team's deficiencies. How things change.

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 09/23/19 07:12 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
rolleyes If they had punched it in, it might be a different discussion, but they didn't. And if they had, the discussions that the O looked like $#!% all night would still be valid. If they had punched it in, we could all say, "Hey, they got one right!" But they didn't. No, instead, they butchered a golden opportunity. Again.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

People want to deny it and make excuses, but Baker is not playing well. It's infuriating how he bails out of a clean pocket and invites pressure.

A lot of mobile/running qbs get sacked more because they abandon the pocket too early, but Baker doesn't even run the ball. I'll never forget how Charlie Frye would do that and most folks blamed the OL. DA came in and all of a sudden our OL was good.

Baker is hurting the team right now. He is not the only problem. The scheme needs tweaked. The play calling is an issue. The lack of discipline is a problem. But, make no mistake about this........right now Baker is part of the problem. He is not playing well. And I wonder how long strong personality guys like OBJ and Landry are going to remain quiet about it?

Indeed. I posted a screen of the play he immediately rolled out. He could have walked in. Last year he would take off and pick up yards with his legs and it helped. He’s petrified to step up or take off. Atleast if you run you can give yourself up. He’s going to take bigger hits running into sacks. And he always bails out to the right..always.. you can use that for a huge advantage as a defense

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If you think he could have "walked in" you are sadly mistaken...

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
If you think he could have "walked in" you are sadly mistaken...

Nope still see the same lane. At MINIMUM, there’s room to step up and keep his eyes up

L
Legend
Legend
L
Not to mention he has 5 yards to move or run up till the line of scrimmage so one of those doubling obj would have to break off and defend giving obj both single coverage and inside position

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
The same play being mentioned (when Baker scrambled backwards)

When I watched the Cardinals game earlier, QB Kyler Murray kept doing the same (I think he was sacked 9 times)...and they noted a rookie mistake is to run backwards, and it's too easy on the defense (they just chase)...and pins your OT's into looking bad (as thats where they drive their opponent to) Looks like Baker didn't get the memo as well.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He could and should have stepped up in the pocket. But there's no way he could have "walked" into the endzone. Very very slim chance he'd make it running, either. It just wasn't there.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
He could and should have stepped up in the pocket. But there's no way he could have "walked" into the endzone. Very very slim chance he'd make it running, either. It just wasn't there.
walked is just hyperbole for the fact it was an easy play but I think If he steps up, or tries to run it the chance to score there goes up exponentially. And with a well timed pump who knows it could get in

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Can't blame him. Control your own destiny. He witnessed first hand how it went bad when his predecessor let someone else call the offense.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E
Legend
Legend
E
I blame him. Part of leading a team is putting the right people in place to delegate responsibility to. If he doesnt trust Monken to call the plays then Monken needs to be replaced with someone he does trust.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Can't blame him. Control your own destiny. He witnessed first hand how it went bad when his predecessor let someone else call the offense.

Yeah, the offense was GREAT when Hue was calling the plays... lmao Kitchens wants to call the plays and run the air-raid? Great. When we are 1-5 at the bye and looking at the Patriots the next game I wonder if he will survive? Because I can see the Haslams wanting to pull the plug. You think we will beat any of the upcoming teams playing like this? We could very easily be 1-6 before we play Denver and that's IN Denver so who knows what could happen... This season is about to get REALLY ugly if our HC doesn't get his stuff together. I don't care what he does, but he better do SOMETHING and FAST! Or it's his ass.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Rams 20 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard