Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Obviously there will be one very important meeting between Haslam and Dorsey.

That meeting will decide Freddie's fate.

As I stated it is my belief that Haslam will want to make a change. Haslam has turned football operations over to Dorsey. So he will listen to Dorsey. If Dorsey makes a strong enough case to keep Freddie; Haslam may accept his viewpoint and Freddie remains.

If Dorsey wants to move on; it is over for Freddie.

If Dorsey states his position and Haslam strongly disagrees Freddie is toast.

IMO Haslam went along with Dorsey on the selection of Freddie however he may have had reservations.

So Dorsey has to be very convincing in his argument to keep Freddie.

In the end Haslam will do as he sees fit.

I hate when there is no plan B... its always a sign that plan A is not that good.

Why do we keep on doing this? On the bye week it was already clear this was not going to work out...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I admit I waffle on this quite a bit, but if I'm putting money on it, I'd put my money on Freddie being the coach in 2020.

At some point, someone has to believe in the decisions that were made instead of changing GMs or HCs every other year.

I don't believe in bad continuity, but at some point you either need to realize you aren't cut out to make those decisions or you made the right decision.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I admit I waffle on this quite a bit, but if I'm putting money on it, I'd put my money on Freddie being the coach in 2020.

At some point, someone has to believe in the decisions that were made instead of changing GMs or HCs every other year.

I don't believe in bad continuity, but at some point you either need to realize you aren't cut out to make those decisions or you made the right decision.

Its also about being smart..cutting your losses. Its hard for me to believe that Kitchens is such a genius that its worth all of this. I felt the same about Hue.

Its not working has it was supposed, don't make it worst by going all inn, its not the smart thing to do.

Its very hard to manage a group when you are willing to do anything for some guys who have showed nothing, and then ask for accountability to the others.

Honestly its playing favorites, and that will break any group.

Last edited by rastanplan; 12/19/19 12:12 PM.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
You know, when the news came out that OBJ had been injured all year I thought it would explain a lot to the fans about his production. I thought they would not only understand but give him credit for fighting through that injury.

For some it did. For others it seems they are still desperately looking for a scape goat.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

Reasonable points. I think it can be argued either way, really.

Hopefully others see this discussion for what it is: what we think is going to happen, not necessarily what we want to happen

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
You know, when the news came out that OBJ had been injured all year I thought it would explain a lot to the fans about his production. I thought they would not only understand but give him credit for fighting through that injury.

For some it did. For others it seems they are still desperately looking for a scape goat.

When you criticize a receiver that has 8 yds average per target you sure have high standards... but then they defend the worst QB in the league.. weird.

They also don't see OBJ and Landry are part of the same package...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

When you criticize a receiver that has 8 yds average per target you sure have high standards... but then they defend the worst QB in the league.. weird.

When that QB puts the ball in the receiver's hands or in his breadbasket and he doesn't catch it, that's on the receiver and he has earned his criticisms.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

When you
criticize a receiver that has 8 yds average per target you sure have high standards... but then they defend the worst QB in the league.. weird.

When that QB puts the ball in the receiver's hands or in his breadbasket and he doesn't catch it, that's on the receiver and he has earned his criticisms.

When you start criticizing the hands of one of the receivers with best hands in the business, that should tell you something. You really have to be a bad QB for OBJ to drop it...

I also fail to see all this drops fans are complaining off...

Its also normal for a receiver that has 14 yds average per reception in his career to have a higher number of drops.

Sure when you pair OBJ with a dink donk QB,can't throw outside the numbers to save his life, its not going to work well...

And by the way, there are no receivers tall enough for us to consider Baker is putting the ball on his hands.. and yes he has been that inaccurate...

Last edited by rastanplan; 12/19/19 12:26 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

When you
criticize a receiver that has 8 yds average per target you sure have high standards... but then they defend the worst QB in the league.. weird.

When you start criticizing the hands of one of the receivers with best hands in the business, that should tell you something. You really have to be a bad QB for OBJ to drop it...

I also fail to see all this drops fans are complaining off...

Its also normal for a receiver that has 14 yds average per reception in his career to have a higher number of drops.

Sure when you pair OBJ with a dink donk QB,can't throw outside the numbers to save his life, its not going to work well...

And by the way, there are no receivers tall enough for us to consider Baker is putting the ball on his hands.. and yes he has been that inaccurate...

You are being completely hypocritical. You want to judge Baker on his performance. But you want to judge OBJ on his history and reputation. Pah. OBJ has dropped A LOT of passes that hit both his hands this year. He's been out of position and not lined up in the right slot a ton this year. And he gets a pass and you want to blame Baker ! LOL.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
lol, man, you are REALLY trying hard to troll that stance, aren't you? laugh

If the ball touches the receivers hands or comes directly into their body, it should be a catch... especially if you want to be considered as supposedly having some of the best hands in the business.

A receiver that is allegedly that good would catch it even from a crappy QB like Bridgewater or Manziel. Any receiver that can't, well, they're definitely NOT "HOFer" material.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

You are being completely hypocritical.

No, he's trolling and seeing how many he can get to bite. wink

Browns is the Browns

S
1st String
1st String
S
How can you say?
"criticizing the hands of one of the receivers with best hands in the business, that should tell you something. You really have to be a bad QB for OBJ to drop it..."

That makes no sense... ball is thrown to a receiver and hits him in the hands, said receiver should catch the ball, blaming Baker for OBJ dropping a ball by saying he is the worse quarterback in the league, now you are reaching.

and then you went on to say:
"Its also normal for a receiver that has 14 yds average per reception in his career to have a higher number of drops.

Again you are reaching... you cant say in one quote Baker is a dink donk QB and than go on to say a receiver having 14 yards a reception.... 14 yards per reception is quite decent that wouldn't happen with a dink donk QB.

Sometimes I wonder what games people are watching.... OBJ is still on pace for over 1000 yards this year (needs only 90 yards in two games) and Jarvis already has over 1000 at 1018.... when was the last time we had 2 receivers top 1000 yards in the same season? It was 2007 btw.

Just my 2 cents.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Haus
Just clicking.

Here's a question. When all is said and done, who is going to be our head coach for game 1 of the 2020 season?

1) Freddie Kitchens
2) Someone other than Freddie Kitchens

If you had to put your money on one of those, which would it be?

I'm going with 2) someone other than FK. Call it a gut feeling, but it's a gut feeling based on how the season has transpired and some of the distractions along the way.

Here's a follow-up question

Will whomever they select
A) work out?
B) be a complete disaster?

I'm voting for B.

I think we should give Freddie more time. I don't think Monken and he were a good fit. Maybe they can work it out and grind off the rough edges/round the square peg, maybe not. Some stability at the top might be nice. Even though Hue was here for awhile, I'm not sure I'd use stability to describe his reign. He was kind of mercurial.

I wonder if we could entice Jay Gruden to replace Monken? His system might be a better fit for what we had working here last season. He has some ties to northern Ohio, having been born in Tiffin.

I think anyone new would also have to try to cobble together a staff and might end up with similar fit issues.

Addendum: One of the problems with the Kitchens hiring, I think, is that he really hadn't been looking for a HC job. I don't think he had spent a ton of time considering the staff he would want to put together. He'd just been a position coach. He may have had some vague ideas about how he would do things if he was in charge, but I'm thinking he didn't have names of potential underlings worked out.

It kind of looks like he was given a list by someone (Dorsey?) to choose from after he had the job. His ideal candidates may not have been available (or on the list.)

He'd been used to focusing on his room's players. Now he's got to look at the coaches who are looking at all the players. It's a big adjustment.

Still, I think he has some good inherent characteristics. Consistency and ability to relate to players are important. He might just need some schooling/seasoning on the organizational management side of things which he'd never previously really had to worry about.

His lack of experience in those areas should have been obvious when he was hired. To fire him already seems hasty.

He needs to develop fast. This off-season could be make or break as during the season isn't a great time to worry the organizational side of the job as opposed to the more directly football stuff.

If he doesn't show improvement next year now that he knows what he needs to improve and has time to do it, that's when firing could better be justified.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 12/19/19 01:39 PM. Reason: added addendum section and then added the last be.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I really don't disagree that Monken is a bad fit because our personnel, especially along the OL is not suited for an air raid offense.

Yet at the same time it was Freddie who chose his coaching staff so it appears the system Monkin put in place is the preferred system Freddie wanted to run.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I really don't disagree that Monken is a bad fit because our personnel, especially along the OL is not suited for an air raid offense.

Yet at the same time it was Freddie who chose his coaching staff so it appears the system Monkin put in place is the preferred system Freddie wanted to run.

Baker Mayfield flourished in the Air Raid offense in Oklahoma, so it made sense at the time...

OL don't float balls and fail to see open receivers, so cut with that excuse... NO OL in the league can give that much time to a QB

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Never a good sign for the future of the coaching staff when they are out pleading their case to the media about the positives they've done this year. Last week it was Freddie.

I think they all know they're gone.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Never a good sign for the future of the coaching staff when they are out pleading their case to the media about the positives they've done this year. Last week it was Freddie.

What question was he responding to?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Oh my aren't we the sensitive one today. You just can't see that there are more than one reason that the air raid isn't a good fit here. You simply wish to focus on Baker and ignore other reasons.

The OL is one reason. The air raid depends on your OL giving your QB enough time for long pass plays to develop. We don't have the OT's to do that.

So yes, the OL is ONE reason.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled agenda.....

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I recommend reading The Packer Way. I know Eo has read it.

In that very book they discuss how the entire Packer organization was complacent with the 7-9 record because it was seen as improvement.

Ron Wolf was hired as GM and he couldn't believe what he was hearing. The organization was content with the status quo. No one there had the urgency to win.

We should have never been 0-16, but using the excuse that we were and how much better 6-8 is now is complacency. We probably should redo the entire organization if this is the thinking.

The Patriots don't think like this. The Steelers don't think like this. The Ravens don't think like this. There's a reason why these franchises continue to win and we don't.

It was this line of thinking that Wolf eliminated in Green Bay and the franchise started winning.

Last edited by devicedawg; 12/19/19 02:03 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c...

I still can't believe he actually said this. This is grounds for removal, period. Embarrassing.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I still can't believe he actually said this. This is grounds for removal, period. Embarrassing.

Absolutely. It's pretty lame. They know they're gone.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Oy vay. I just want the coaches to stop talking. I'm embarrassed for them.

Someone let Freddie know it's week 16.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I actually like Priefer and think he's done a good job.

I hope the next coach retains him.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I actually like Priefer and think he's done a good job.

I hope the next coach retains him.

Eh, we rank 17th in STs. He looks great b/c Amos was so bad. He's replaceable.

Also, hard pass on someone with this mentality.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Oy vay. I just want the coaches to stop talking. I'm embarrassed for them.

Someone let Freddie know it's week 16.

The FIRST thing you learn during your FIRST year of organized football...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
McCarthy or Rivera or Bust.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Who is this Bust guy you speak of?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Who is this Bust guy you speak of?

Dolly Parton's husband.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I recommend reading The Packer Way. I know Eo has read it.

In that very book they discuss how the entire Packer organization was complacent with the 7-9 record because it was seen as improvement.

Ron Wolf was hired as GM and he couldn't believe what he was hearing. The organization was content with the status quo. No one there had the urgency to win.

We should have never been 0-16, but using the excuse that we were and how much better 6-8 is now is complacency. We probably should redo the entire organization if this is the thinking.

The Patriots don't think like this. The Steelers don't think like this. The Ravens don't think like this. There's a reason why these franchises continue to win and we don't.

It was this line of thinking that Wolf eliminated in Green Bay and the franchise started winning.

Wolf's 1st 3 seasons in Green Bay were 9-7, 9-7, 9-7. An Improvement from 7-9 ........ but hardly #1 seed records. They did make the playoffs in 2 of those seasons, losing in the Divisional round both times. It wasn't until year 4 that they went 11-5, and then the next 2 going 13-3, with a Super Bowl win in there.

Bear in mind that they also hit the jackpot with Favre.

I will say this .... I think that this team needs a few players who have been on winning teams, to show the other guys just how to prepare to get to that level.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Pretty typical coach response showing support for the others on the staff.

However, the numbers do not a work out.

Bruce Ariens and the Bucs have outscored the Browns 418 to 297.

The Bucs top runner Ronald Jones has 541 yds.
Top receiver Chris Godwin 1333.

Hard to understand how the Bucs have a better record and have outscored the Browns by that much.

No matter how anyone looks at this the Browns have underachieved.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Arians is a good coach. He was 49-30-1 as head coach of the Cardinals, and that was with late-career Carson Palmer as his best QB. I remember Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert getting some time in a well.

We ignored his pleas to become the Browns head coach and hired his old running backs coach instead.

I'm not saying he is the guy we should have hired. That would be a little bit too much of revisionist history for my liking... but couldn't we have at least given him an interview?

Legend
Legend
Nah, if we weren’t going with Gregg, arians should’ve been the hire.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
The "idea"of Arians sounds great in theory. But if you're looking for a long term solution to build around he was not the solution. When you combine his health and his age he would not have been a logical answer.

I understand to this point it doesn't look like we found it, but not hiring an aging coach with big time health concerns was quite understandable to me.

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Device, I do not get that at all from what priefer said. He is saying look where we came from. You might not think we deserved 0-16 but I think we deserved every stinking loss. All 31 over two years. He is not satisfied and 6-8 is not our goal. But as Dorsey said this is a process and we are just in year two.

Remember the old definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Well, we have hired and fired multiple coaches, gms, presidents etc for nigh on two decades. What do we have to show for it. 20 years of futility. It is time we stay the course and build this program.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Well, if you won't say it, then I will.

Arians should've been the hire. His age/health was almost a bonus. Have Arians come in and get the party started and then turn it over to Kitchens (who we would've 'promoted' to full-time OC an heir apparent).

I'm usually all about challenging revisionist history and NOT using hindsight to justify/argue a previous decision, but I don't feel even a little bit bad about it here.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The "idea"of Arians sounds great in theory. But if you're looking for a long term solution to build around he was not the solution. When you combine his health and his age he would not have been a logical answer.

I understand to this point it doesn't look like we found it, but not hiring an aging coach with big time health concerns was quite understandable to me.

He volunteered to have a comprehensive health screen done as one of the conditions to be hired by the Bucs. I'm sure he would have done the same for the Browns.

Of course, other things can pop up. I get that. However, he even had a succession plan in place as he would have kept Freddie onboard as offensive coordinator, which was really the only promotion for Freddie that made sense at the time. The idea was to give him more time to develop and improve as a coach and he'd maybe someday take over.

or not. You never know. Maybe we'd find out he was just an OC and hire somebody else in due time. But in the short term you focus on winning, building a better culture with discipline, structure, etc.

I never expected the Browns to hire him as head coach but I do wonder why he was never even taken seriously enough to interview. Too big of a name and too strong of opinions, perhaps?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Well, if you won't say it, then I will.

Arians should've been the hire. His age/health was almost a bonus. Have Arians come in and get the party started and then turn it over to Kitchens (who we would've 'promoted' to full-time OC an heir apparent).

I'm usually all about challenging revisionist history and NOT using hindsight to justify/argue a previous decision, but I don't feel even a little bit bad about it here.

You make good points although I am not trying to hold anything back.

My thoughts at the time were along the lines of Freddie being named offensive coordinator was a fair and reasonable promotion.

As far as the head coaching search, I don't think fans can really add much because we are not part of the interview process. I think you really have to look at a coach's intelligence, work ethic, character/leadership/etc. and this isn't always reflected in X coach led the league in Y stat.

I do think Arians should have at least been part of the interview process, at the very least. If you say he should have been hired, well it's hard to argue that. The fact that the Bucs have a better record than the Browns this late in the season is astounding.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I think it is possible Dorsey is furious at Freddie and wants him out. Dorsey put together a super talented roster and gave Freddie the keys. Freddie was incompetent by any measure, and he has done such a poor job it has people questioning Dorsey.
I am not sure Dorsey is going to defend him.

Legend
Legend
The best laid plans, and all that. In military campaigns the plan is sold as put in place until contact with the enemy in real time. Then it is about adjusting and winning. We haven't done either well. Our game planning is suspect IMO. Scripted goes well then off the rails when FK takes it. Behind the sticks for two, force a bad pass, overthrown too often, and Hammer Time. Defense usually folds.

The weekly repeat is hard to take. Can't imagine this steamy product is what Dorsey wanted.

Alternate coaches or change in duties would seem solid activities to me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I don't see the problem with him saying that stuff. It's pretty spot-on, actually, so where's the issue?

Browns is the Browns

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Report: Browns plan to retain Freddie Kitchens 'barring a horrific collapse'

Link Copied to Clipboard