Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

No thank you (to the SF offensive coaches). That offense is 100% pure Shanny. No need to promote the people that bring him his coffee.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
Hiring andy reids OC is like hiring BB defensive coordinator...they aren't going to be successful.. I think this time around you pass on everyone that doesn't have HC track record... you have to know what you are getting. McCarthy, Caldwell, Gruden, or even Del Rio..but get a guy you can look at experience..McCarthy is the no brainer here. Marty diciple, offensive guru, 3 losing seasons in 13 years and won 135 games...I'm not even sure why this is debatable, usually guys like this don't last long on the market. He has same winning percentage as Andy Reid and a better playoff record than Reid...how many people wouldn't mind Reid coming here? Oh and he's never lost to the browns..lol

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Del Rio is like 93-94 as a HC. I pass on him.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The problem with "proven head coaching experience" is that that's a nicer way of saying "is available because they got fired for sucking". They're available (some available for the nth time now) for a reason, and those reasons are usually good ones.

I'm not saying that we should cancel anyone that has already been a HC in the NFL, but I just get so annoyed at posts saying, "we need someone with proven experience" as if that's the magical mystery ingredient we've been missing this whole time.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
The problem with "proven head coaching experience" is that that's a nicer way of saying "is available because they got fired for sucking". They're available (some available for the nth time now) for a reason, and those reasons are usually good ones.

I'm not saying that we should cancel anyone that has already been a HC in the NFL, but I just get so annoyed at posts saying, "we need someone with proven experience" as if that's the magical mystery ingredient we've been missing this whole time.

Exactly! They ALL suck at some point!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

They're just as much of a crapshoot as the super-green college guys.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Hawkins is a smart guy ... I'd take him at his word. Trouble is - do you take an uber talented offensive guy and then give him the whole team to run and manage? If we went that sort of route we'd need a superb D coordinator that we just left the whol D to run.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Well, now I feel kinda dumb for my post 1 up from this...

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M

They're just as much of a crapshoot as the super-green college guys.

I disagree - not necessarily because of the talent/ability side of things - but because of the magnitude of the job, understanding the subtleties of the job, appreciating how important and how much time media commitments take. I think it's much easier to be a leader of your team when you already appreciate how big the job is. jmo

L
Legend
Legend
L

Thats silly, sometimes coaches just need to move on..Bill was fired twice...so I guess NE shouldn't have hired him, Philly fired Reid, how many times has Parcells been fired? Hell even the great Paul Brown was fired, Coughlin, the list goes on and on...so yeah just because they got fired doesnt mean they sucked. Sometimes you can be good and not a good fit to the direction the FO wants. Thats exactly what happened to McCarthy, the FO let douchebag Rodgers push out McCarthy because McCarthy wanted douchebag to run the plays he called. Well Rodgers got his wish and the offense is worse this year.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
McDaniels is the only guy who used Tebow talents correctly. I’d be good if the Browns went with him as HC. Discipline is what’s missing imo.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M

Well, now I feel kinda dumb for my post 1 up from this...

Well I would have said exactly the same thing and *assumed* SF was all Shany too. smile

M
Legend
Legend
M

Counterpoint:

Bill Belichik was fired and re-hired and has done pretty well.
Tom Coughlin fired by Jags went on to win Super Bowl with NYG
John Fox canned in Carolina and won SB with Denver
Pete Carroll was fired twice (NYJ and NE) and went on to win SB with SEA
Andy Reid fired in Philly and continues to put KC in position to win SB

All coaches get fired at some point. Also, failing is ok and can be opportunity to grow as an individual.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
McDaniels is the only guy who used Tebow talents correctly. I’d be good if the Browns went with him as HC. Discipline is what’s missing imo.

That was Mike McCoy.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

Thats silly, sometimes coaches just need to move on..Bill was fired twice...so I guess NE shouldn't have hired him, Philly fired Reid, how many times has Parcells been fired? Hell even the great Paul Brown was fired, Coughlin, the list goes on and on...so yeah just because they got fired doesnt mean they sucked. Sometimes you can be good and not a good fit to the direction the FO wants. Thats exactly what happened to McCarthy, the FO let douchebag Rodgers push out McCarthy because McCarthy wanted douchebag to run the plays he called. Well Rodgers got his wish and the offense is worse this year.

Exactly. McCarthy "sucked" his way to a career .618 record, 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl. Definitely don't need THAT level of sucktitude around here. Let's hire someone who's a good Coordinator and hope the Peter Principle doesn't come back to bite us yet again.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

If the Browns were fortunate enough to land Josh McDaniels, ownership should help him set the franchise up the way he wants...if that means McD wants to bring in his own GM, ownership should make it happen...

...then ownership should get out of the way and allow the man and his team to develop.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Your a fan of letting the tail wag the dawg i see ... *L* ....

L
Legend
Legend
L
God I don't understand the Mcdaniels love...dude has failed every single position that wasn't at NE

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
... Haslams like shinny , bright , glittery , new Toys , ie Josh McDaniels !

... Darn sure not my pick !

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

your wrong. You see, when you have a team ready to win NOW, with talent - you want a coach that has been there before. When you ZERO culture - you want a coach that can BRING culture, and a CULTURE of winning.

WE don't have anyone that knows how to win, knows how to practice to win, or knows what it takes to do things to win.

THATS WHY we need a HC with experience. If you have a team of Vets guys, that have been there done that, you can get away with a young guy that doesn't have experience. We don't have that.

R
Legend
Legend
R
This net the Browns are casting is so Browns.

The Browns need a leader and delegator with connections who will assemble a good staff. Identify that guy (McCarthy), throw in a few token interviews, and let's get the show on the road.

The Browns are so Browns. They'll screw this up.

L
Legend
Legend
L
McCarthy would come here and have a very familar staff with Dorsey, Wolf, Hightower(hopefully), campen and blasko. It literally is a perfect scenario to get this on the right track... So I firmly believe Haslam will once again make the wrong decision and we will be back doing this again in a year or two

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

The Browns need a leader and delegator with connections who will assemble a good staff. Identify that guy (McCarthy), throw in a few token interviews, and let's get the show on the road.

the fact that McCarthy built a staff a year ago and they've been working M-F for a year developing means he's literally ready to turn on the lights and get to work now.

Legend
Legend

I'm getting that feeling too. McCarthy is the perfect guy for this job. He's got the experience and track record to really command the locker-room and give the team the head-coach thye need. He's worked his butt off this past year, even when unemployed to become a better coach. I hope he could pass down that type of dedication to Baker, et al. And he's got previous ties with most of the Front Office, so he could likely slide into the current structure without much upheaval.

But no. Just like last year, we'll probably try to catch lightning in a bottle, when the solid choice is right there for the taking.

D
Legend
Legend
D
God I don't understand the Mcdaniels love...dude has failed every single position that wasn't at NE

All 1 of them ... *LOL* ...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

I'm getting that feeling too. McCarthy is the perfect guy for this job. He's got the experience and track record to really command the locker-room and give the team the head-coach thye need. He's worked his butt off this past year, even when unemployed to become a better coach. I hope he could pass down that type of dedication to Baker, et al. And he's got previous ties with most of the Front Office, so he could likely slide into the current structure without much upheaval.

But no. Just like last year, we'll probably try to catch lightning in a bottle, when the solid choice is right there for the taking.

One of the blurbs about McCarthy above mentioned how he was interested in analytics and believed they needed to be taken more seriously. Sounds like he’s a great fit philosophically, but I don’t think Dorsey is exactly of the same mind? I wonder how that would work out?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

hahah.

My picks

1. McCarthy
2. McDaniels

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think at this point mine are

1. McCarthy
2. Riverboat Ron

3. I don't know anything about any of the unproven HC's to speak intelligently about them.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

1. McCarthy
2. Riverboat Ron

3. I don't know anything about any of the unproven HC's to speak intelligently about them.
Ron is done deal in Washington.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

1. McCarthy
2. Riverboat Ron

well... looks like we only have 1 option rofl

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M

McDaniels was also the OC of the St. Louis Rams after his HC stint in Denver.

L
Legend
Legend
L

*LOL* 2... Denver and St. louis..but please don't let facts get in the way of your laughter...like I do when you call Dorsey king..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

1. McCarthy
2. Riverboat Ron

well... looks like we only have 1 option rofl

Wasn't it tweeted earlier that the NYG were tracking hard after him? Im highly doubting we're on HIS radar.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the hope and expectation is that they can learn from their past experiences. I think the interview process has to be for assessing that. What would they do differently? Have they ever thought it out with any detail, are they even the type to review and revise? Lots of men, especially in sports, are the type to sink their heels and just push harder down the course they’re on. They take pride in not looking back and just plowing forward

Also, with some firings it’ can be because there’s a whole bunch of other mitigating circumstances. For instance I’ve read that having a coaching flame-out in Cleveland is usually pretty significantly discounted because there’s so much existing dysfunction. It takes some of the risk out of coming here, because everyone fails here. Point being you have to look at the whole picture, interview other people with perspective on the situation, due diligence etc. All that said, I’d still be very hesitant with Josh McDanials, lol.

Having past HC experience is not magic but it takes a certain kind of risk out of the decision. The kind of risk we got severely punished for this season. There’s a whole host of things operational and leadership-wise that I just deeply suspect you can’t learn without having gone through it. Cleveland simply doesn’t have the time for years of seasoning. Cleveland needs stability and strong even handed leadership, organization and discipline. I would contend much more so than most other teams. Going totally green was a colossally stupid move last year. That’s really what makes me question the decision making of this FO in general. Like, what the hell were they thinking going with Kitchens last year with a rookie QB, the 2nd youngest team in the league and.... its Cleveland, the recent history, the expectations etc. We need very VERY sure footedness this time around. I wouldn’t make NFL head coaching experience mandatory but if they don’t have it I’d need a lot of assurance that this was the guy. It would be a very long and detailed interview for anyone without it. And would include lots of outside due diligence.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend

hahah.

My picks

1. McCarthy
2. McDaniels

McDonalds

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, he went 2-14 or something as OC of the Rams in 2011.

F
Legend
Legend
F
If by some dumb set of circumstances we pick McDaniels, I sure hope we don't give him full control.

He hasn't proven he can coach a team much less control the team.

We need structure, we need someone the player will have immediate respect for, we need someone who understands what it takes and what they are getting themselves into.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
If by some dumb set of circumstances we pick McDaniels, I sure hope we don't give him full control.

We need structure, we need someone the player will have immediate respect for, we need someone who understands what it takes and what they are getting themselves into.

The rumor is that he wants to bring in his own GM and structure. That's kind of why I don't want him. I'd rather not blow up another Front Office.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

The rumor is that he wants to bring in his own GM and structure. That's kind of why I don't want him. I'd rather not blow up another Front Office.

yeah, and that would be why I wouldn't want him, if we brought him in to just coach, I could get on board and back him, but if we bring him in and give him the whole ship, I will just shake my head in disbelief.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns coaching rumors

Link Copied to Clipboard