Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
D
Legend
Legend
D
Do u watch the games on Sunday? ... *L* ...

I think its arrogant that U think Depo in 4 years knows as much as guys that been doing it for 20 - 30 years ... actually I’d call that stupid .... experience count for nothing? ...

I wonder what analytics says about that ... *L*

Legend
Legend
Not a response to you D.
There is a place for analytics and most clubs employ a analytics group.

I can see it's use in play calling down and distance. There are plenty of places the data can be useful.

But scouting? I don't get that. Baseball a 18 year old goes to the minors plays rookie ball, moves up through the system A ball, AA, ball AAA ball. Lots of numbers to crunch. Competition level is a known.

Football a high school player goes to college plays 2, 3, maybe 4 years. College competition is all over the place. So, at 20 to 22 he gets drafted. What can you know? Why so many misses in the draft? Yes, there are the measurables. Combine numbers. Yes, in contracts and age analysis.

Because there is not enough relevant data. Unlike baseball.

Very hard to forecast a player at 21 with two years of college into the NFL. Combine numbers are not enough. Limited game tape. Varying levels of competition.
And the hardest part; measuring how bad the kid wants it.

I have no problem leaning on analytics where applicable.

But you can not run a team with data alone. Scouting is still king in the draft process.

Last edited by bonefish; 01/03/20 07:18 PM.
1st String
1st String
Yeah as really think that it is about Scouting. As well as having experience. That as in NFL experience. Knowing what you do and been there and done that. Yeah Depodesta may had made some mistakes. But just let him do his job for the time being.

May Flowers and Spring Weather!
B
Legend
Legend
B
He's just chapped because his football guy couldn't get the big decisions right. Dorsey could have been good had he learned from his KC mistakes. He wouldn't listen to anybody.

Depo wasn't working behind the scenes, Dorsey was. His comment about those guys didn't bring in football players....well Depo was the butt of that comment. Dorsey didn't like the fact Haslam values Depos opinion. Dorsey couldn't have another voice in the room. It's why he hired Freddie. He could control him.

Dorsey got fired from KC because he couldn't get along with another football guy...the coach.

The truth is surfacing...and in the truth, Depo remains and Dorsey is gone.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
He's just chapped because his football guy couldn't get the big decisions right. Dorsey could have been good had he learned from his KC mistakes. He wouldn't listen to anybody.

I think Dorsey made good decisions. I also think he was a tool.

As far as DePodesta:

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I think Dorsey made good decisions. I also think he was a tool.

As far as DePodesta:

I agree with all of that. Dorsey was a good scout. I don't want Depo doing much more than what he does.

I am not advocating that Depo become the new commander-in-chief.

He is a process guy. Let him run the process. I am not looking for him to be the next GM or super scout making the draft selections.

I just think his voice is important and needs to be valued. Dorsey didn't value his opinion at all.

Look at who is still here and who is gone. A smart person who see's the owner values Depos opinion would try to at least act like he valued the opinion rather than demean the guy.

That is office politics 101. You can't be a manager if you can't manage your way around the office, let alone the building of a billion+ dollar business.

You have to have some skills above and beyond being able to scout a guard prospect.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
You have to have some skills above and beyond being able to scout a guard prospect.

Dorsey was fired from two straight jobs were he did a pretty good job at accumulating talent. That tells us something about Dorsey the person.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Dorsey was fired from two straight jobs were he did a pretty good job at accumulating talent. That tells us something about Dorsey the person.

Dorsey is best suited in a scout type role and not as a manager (and not just b/c of his people skills or lack thereof), clearly.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Dorsey brought in some nice talented pieces, no doubt. He has no idea how to put it all together.

Perhaps Dorsey has character flaws, but when you aimlessly acquire players and go rogue and draft players the organization doesn't agree on, that's a problem. That's Dorsey.

Legend
Legend
So is his scouting "machinery" still in place for us? He did a good job of looking under the rocks overall.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac

The Browns have had nothing but problems in the front office vs the coaching staff since Haslam hired Depo.

Browns have had problems in the front office since 99.. It's not Depo.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

I think its arrogant that U think Depo in 4 years knows as much as guys that been doing it for 20 - 30 years ... actually I’d call that stupid .... experience count for nothing? ...

Oh high and mighty one - - - please show me where I said or even insinuated that..... Oh, that's right, you can't.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
So is his scouting "machinery" still in place for us? He did a good job of looking under the rocks overall.

Yes. I know there are reports about Hightower being gone or him taking over at Miami U as director of football or some such title.

As far as the scouting department, most scouts work on one year deals that run through the next years draft. Those guys are still out scouting and writing their evaluations.

The cross checkers...the Sr. scouts and scouting directors might be on longer deals, so all of that remains at this point.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
jc...

Pointing out that Haslam had already promoted Depodesta giving him GM powers, rewarding him for being his personal brown-noser, allow Depodesta to be in charge of hiring the next HC.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why you think he's gotta go. Remember, he didn't want Freddie...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Pointing out that Haslam had already promoted Depodesta giving him GM powers,

What are these GM powers that Depodesta have ?

Quote:
allow Depodesta to be in charge of hiring the next HC.

Mac... Who else is going to hire the HC ?

Quote:
rewarding him for being his personal brown-noser,

Not seeing any reward..Only thing I can make out of it..
Is Jimmy has decided to listen to Depodestos ideas a bit more. Nothing wrong with listening to your Strategy officer. He might have a good input or maybe not. Nothing wrong with listening better.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The ironic thing is that we are having these internal issues because we are NOT listening to Depodesta, not because we are listening to him.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why you think he's gotta go. Remember, he didn't want Freddie...

daman...did you really believe that the Haslams took a step back, away from having their fingers involved in running the franchise?

First, for the Browns, Depodesta IS NOTHING MORE THAN "PART TIME", living in San Diago, commuting to Cleveland as needed. The very year (2016) Haslam hired Depo to play MONEYBALL with the Browns franchise, Depo and his wife launched a new business venture, Sports Mind Institute, using Depo's one time success in baseball and the fact that he had now been hired to work his magic in the NFL, to build a Championship team for Haslam, ON THE CHEAP.

Depodesta, with his 4 freaking years of NFL experience is JimBos #1 influence over this franchise and he does it by asking everyone to have their weekly and daily meetings to extract information from others in the front office, THEN RUNNING TO THE BOSS WHEN SOMEONE ISN'T PLAYING BY MONEYBALL RULES.

Most of us who have lived long enough recognize the front office game Depo is playing...and the butt-boy/brown-noser that depohe is, getting the football guys fired so he can continue to play MONEYBALL with one of the most HISTORIC NFL FRANCHISES...EVER!

Depo's MONEYBALL RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. The only time the Browns began digging out of Depodesta's 1-31 record was when we hired a FOOTBALL GUY WITH 25 YRS OF NFL EXPERIENCE.

Depodesta is nothing more than who his record indicates he is. I view Depodesta as just another BSER/BROWN NOSER, looking out for himself at the Cleveland Browns (FANS) EXPENSE.

Last edited by mac; 01/04/20 11:25 AM.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You do realize we were 1-31 because we DIDN'T listen to Depodesta, right?

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
device...kind of hard to choke down Depo's football record for his first 2 yrs playing MONEYBALL with an NFL franchise, ISN'T IT?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What are you trying to say? That you're willing to blame anyone for the 1-31 record except for person(s) who actually caused it?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

daman...did you really believe that the Haslams took a step back, away from having their fingers involved in running the franchise?

First, for the Browns, Depodesta IS NOTHING MORE THAN "PART TIME", living in San Diago, commuting to Cleveland as needed. The very year (2016) Haslam hired Depo to play MONEYBALL with the Browns franchise, Depo and his wife launched a new business venture, Sports Mind Institute, using Depo's one time success in baseball and the fact that he had now been hired to work his magic in the NFL, to build a Championship team for Haslam, ON THE CHEAP.

Depodesta, with his 4 freaking years of NFL experience is JimBos #1 influence over this franchise and he does it by asking everyone to have their weekly and daily meetings to extract information from others in the front office, THEN RUNNING TO THE BOSS WHEN SOMEONE ISN'T PLAYING BY MONEYBALL RULES.

Most of us who have lived long enough recognize the front office game Depo is playing...and the butt-boy/brown-noser that depohe is, getting the football guys fired so he can continue to play MONEYBALL with one of the most HISTORIC NFL FRANCHISES...EVER!

Depo's MONEYBALL RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. The only time the Browns began digging out of Depodesta's 1-31 record was when we hired a FOOTBALL GUY WITH 25 YRS OF NFL EXPERIENCE.

Depodesta is nothing more than who his record indicates he is. I view Depodesta as just another BSER/BROWN NOSER, looking out for himself at the Cleveland Browns (FANS) EXPENSE.

The only thing missing from that post is "poor clowns, poor clowns indeed".

I gave you some props when we found out that Depo was leading the coaching search, but holy jebus. willynilly

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
jc...

Pointing out that Haslam had already promoted Depodesta giving him GM powers, rewarding him for being his personal brown-noser, allow Depodesta to be in charge of hiring the next HC.

No Mac. Depo is leading the process. Haslam is back to making the final decision.

I keep trying to help you here but you keep saying silly stuff.

Depo isn't the GM. He doesn't have GM power.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Mac, I'll give you one thing, you certainly have scorching hot takes. However,....

Note, how Haslam states DePo will be leading the proceess and not hiring the HC.

*I can't believe I'm bothering with this nonsense. DePo would tell me this is an inefficient use of my time.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Depo isn't the GM. He doesn't have GM power.

Isn't, hasn't, wasn't, never will be. But for some reason he has become the focus of a lot of angst. I don't get it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
but when you aimlessly acquire players and go rogue and draft players the organization doesn't agree on, that's a problem. That's Dorsey.

Are you talking about Mayfield again?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
peen...Haslam loves his money and it is no accident that the Browns have lead the NFL in cap space in 6 of the 7 yrs Haslam has owned the team.

JIMMY HASLAM IS A CHEAP-ASS...he can't run from his record as a NFL owner and the reason he is so in love with Depodesta is that MONEYBALL IS BASED ON A "CHEAP-ASS" management concept.

Despite living through the worst losing in Browns NFL franchise history playing "CHEAP ASS", Haslam wants to return to MONEYBALL, with Depodesta leading his franchise.

Despite winning more in the last two seasons compared to the previous two seasons, Haslam decided to return to CHEAP FOOTBALL via Depodesta's MONEYBALL.

I'm convinced that the Haslam Clan has found a way to skim those under the cap funds for themselves.

Peen, honestly, take a look at the way the Saints operate their franchise, using the cap to build their football team and putting their support behind their football people.

THAT IS HOW A NFL FOOTBALL FRANCHISE IS MEANT TO MANAGED...not the way Haslam is.

Peen, I know you are not going to like it because you are bias in favor of the good ole Tenn. Boys, but Jimmy Haslam is the worst owner in the NFL...and he did it to himself.

P
Legend
Legend
P
jc...

Just making more BS up?

Nobody, and I mean nobody has even hinted that Depo is in charge of the next HC hire. The only thing he has been put in charge of is the search.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Interesting.

I think the one thing that is blatantly obvious here is that Jimmy is NOT a cheap-ass.

One other thing... "moneyball" isn't about saving money and being cheap.

You're striking out all over the place...

R
Legend
Legend
R
I think it's time for mac to call Depo's lawyer and get to the bottom of this.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I think it's time for mac to call Depo's lawyer and get to the bottom of this.

rish...don't worry, I think they already know how to contact me!

P
Legend
Legend
P
At the rate you're going, if they don't now they soon will.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
At the rate you're going, if they don't now they soon will.

No Pit...it got personal beginning yesterday!

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Very serious question for everyone...if you were one of the top coaching candidates, would you work Jimmy, Dee and Depo?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Very serious question for everyone...if you were one of the top coaching candidates, would you work Jimmy, Dee and Depo?

We don't have to answer. The candidates themselves will do that for us. The only one who turned down the Browns is Matt Rhule and also turned down other teams.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think Jimmy and Dee are fine and get a bad rap. Its clear they want to build a winner and they are trying to. I think they would love nothing more than to just sit back and watch the team be successful. But when you have billions on the line you don't just sit back and let it be bad, no owner would. His problem is he hasn't made the good hire. He thought he did with Dorsey and Haslam sat back and let Dorsey run the show and it blew up, so now he has to step in and do it again. Try to find something that works. As far as Depo, hell yes..dude is razor sharp and a process guru. He's a pioneer and one of the best at something the whole league is moving to rapidly.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I must say that I would rather have Depodesta picking our next coach than the Haslams or Dorsey.
The Haslams chose Hue against the advice of Depodesta who wanted Sean McDermott.
Dorsey chose Kitchens while Depo wanted Stafansky.
At least if Depo makes this hire the coach has a good chance of getting along with the analytics staff which seems to be the power in the Browns organization.
More than being a baseball guy Depodesta is a numbers guy who factors in all data to make the most logical decision.
Myself being a Browns fan for 60 years I prefer old school football guys to coach and run the Browns but I realize most if not all teams rely on analytics to some extent.
After all as Browns fans we have no choice.

Last edited by Glw12; 01/04/20 02:51 PM.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
His problem is he hasn't made the good hire. He thought he did with Dorsey and Haslam sat back and let Dorsey run the show and it blew up, so now he has to step in and do it again. Try to find something that works.

lead...how many times do I have to post the reality of how progression works in the NFL....?

With the 49ers, it took freaking Kyle Shanahan 3 years to progress to point to where the 49ers are in today!!!!!

Not only that but, Kyle Shanahan's team regressed between Years 1 and 2, going 6-10 his first season to 4-12 his second season!!!

Yet the 49ers GM and ownership were willing to give Shanahan a 3rd season to see what he could do.

In Cleveland, under Haslam and Depodesta, NO ONE GETS 3 YEARS TO TURN THE BROWNS AROUND!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mac; 01/04/20 02:49 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They will now.

Legend
Legend
In fairness, the Niners "regressed" because Garoppolo started only 3 games in his 2nd season in San Francisco.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Depodesta needs to GO...

Link Copied to Clipboard