Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Dawg Duty #1735024 02/26/20 01:02 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I would've preferred he got suspended indefinitely for being terrible at his job.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I love what Grossi said about Mayfield. He shouldn't apologize for it either. He is absolutely right. Mayfield IS a midget by NFL QB Standards. Furthermore, so what? who would be offended by midget?

I have never liked Mayfield, as Triple H would say "He is guy who is over-rated and buys a bit too much into his own hype"

He is a one hit wonder, he will never have a season anywhere close to what he did as a rookie. NFL DC have figured Mayfield out, He is a short guy with limited athletic ability and an above average arm...NFL has had a lot of those kinda guys over the years...some of them not as short as Mayfield, but Mayfield checks all the boxes for an average NFL QB...He is a poor man's Case Keenum at best.

Browns fans of course will cling to this bum for years, if Berry had any brains at all he would try and sign Teddy Bridgewater, and if he can then he trades Mayfield while he still has value. If we go into the season with Mayfield again he is going to tank his value completely and we will be lucky to get a sandwich for him.

You don't play as god awful as he did last year if your any good in this league. Last year wasn't a "sophomore slump" You have sophomore slumps, and then you got a whole other level of suckage that Mayfield showed last year. Mayfield didn't have a sophomore slump last year, he completely bombed! That was some of the worst QB play in the NFL in the last 20 years. He mechanics were awful, inability to throw guys open, inability to throw deep despite having time, and he was flat out scared back there.

He talks a big game, but in reality he is just a decent college QB and a sucky NFL QB who can't shut up and refuses to humble himself.

I pray that Stephanski gets ****** at his refusal to put in the extra work needed, and sours on him in the next month or two and ships is arrogant *** the **** out of here so we can move on.

There are many viable NFL starter quality Qb out there this year that would be UPGRADES over Mayfield that are FA such as:

Teddy Bridgewater
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Dak Prescott
Case Keenum
Ryan Tannenhill
Phillip Rivers

Yeah some of those guys are a pipe dream(Brady & Brees) but ya know...i'd take Phillip Rivers over Mayfield in 2020 any day...old or not, im tired of losing...I want to win and Mayfield isn't it. Rivers makes us a 12 win team with OBJ, Beckham, Hunt and Landry.

I'd also like Keenum he already knows Stephanski system, and had a pretty good year with the Vikes with Stephanski, and by all acounts is a good hard working guy that has had some success. Last year in 8 games with Washington he had a 64.5% 11 TD to only 5 INTS thats not bad considering Washington was a mess last year with no OL

We have enough talent on this team that we CAN barter the future by bringing in a guy like Rivers. We could very likely win a Super Bowl next year with a guy like Rivers, guys rally around the dude. He isn't done. I'd even go so far as if we could get Brady sign him, even if its only 1 year, who cares about Mayfield, sit down and shut up, we need to win before Landry, Hunt, OBJ, and Chubb are gone, the Window is closing fast and we don't have time to waste it with a bum like Mayfield.

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 02/26/20 09:10 AM.
Legend
Legend
An important focus for the #Browns heading into 2020: QB Baker Mayfield’s fitness and body makeup. From what I understand, he put on some weight last year to bulk up and lost some quickness. His plan is to be slimmer & faster this year, with an emphasis on being in better shape.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1232654295146913794

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Duty #1735080 02/26/20 10:18 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
People need to quit being offended about everything. Now Midget is a bad word?

What Grossi said was an accident. Who cares except a bunch of sissies. He dropped a F-bomb, so what. Are your ears bleeding?

Goldhammer offends me everytime he opens his mouth. Everybody I know hates Goldhammer's guts but Grossi gets suspended for a F-bomb.

To little people, midget is their 'N' word. And that is the reason for his suspension, the F bomb was just a side penalty.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
I think we all noticed it, but he needs to trim some of that weight. He looks like he aged 15 years on 1 year .... and when you start messing with body comp too much it can throw you off

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Quoting Triple H?

Nice.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You're Tony Grossi!

E
Legend
Legend
E
WE DIDN'T EXPECT IT TO BE EASY was the quote...then said something like they wanted it to be easy and it wasn't.

Footwork...Stefanski already said they will be working on it.

Mark me as one who was wrong in the expectations with Kitchens as HC...he was terrible.

But quite frankly you don't need an off season coach...keep in mind I don't think the NFLPA allows them to be coached in the off season which I think is stupid.

But most off season camps is arranged by the coaching staff..not the individuals from what I remember.

He's a hard worker again coaching last year was so Laize-fare they all thought they were just going to produce like no other and of course the media stroked them in that direction.

the kid always was a hard worker our present coach seems to be a perfectionist he will hopefully put the entire offense back on track. Baker will once again prove to all that he is one of the most accurate passers in the NFL and he has a natural gun. All should be good, we did miss Njoku and Coleman for sure. OBJ had none of his great speed last season due to injury. But Baker from what I saw was consistently HIGH on his throws....don't know what that was about except I thought his drops were not deep enough.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1735129 02/26/20 12:30 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
From Summer School to the Super Bowl for Brady, Ryan

Matt Ryan and Tom Brady didn’t get to Houston by accident. Here’s the story of how offseason work with a couple baseball pitchers benefited both QBs. Plus items on Dan Quinn, the Indy mess and six draft storylines

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/26/matt-ryan-tom-brady-super-bowl-51-nfl-notes

Good read on how much these guys have worked with and helped some great QB's. Then there are those that are so good they simply don't need them. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
eotab #1735145 02/26/20 12:50 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Re OBJ:

I think Odell's injury affected his speed about the least of his physical abilities. It was more his ability to change direction, bend, stretch, and twist that were severely hampered.

OBJ hit the 11th fastest top speed in the league last year at 21.7 mph. That was faster than Tyreek Hill hit all season.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/top-plays/fastest-ball-carriers

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
eotab #1735155 02/26/20 01:16 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Baker is not the kind of player that takes failure and ridicule lightly. I think he will go back to working hard to be successful. He now has a coach that will be right there with him and knows what he is doing. I have a feeling he will be much better this year. JMO

Legend
Legend
Jc

As the resident baker mayfield fence rider on this board, we have a new FO, new coaching staff, and hopefully better O line.

I’m moving on from bakers past comments. I liked what I saw from the interviews he did during SB week, and I have no reason to believe he won’t take this off season seriously.

People need to let it go.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1735160 02/26/20 01:24 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: Swish
Jc

On this board? smile People still have agenda and personal rifts from 10 years ago that infiltrate every topic. smile

We still talk about Sashi, like he's in the building for Pete's sake. shocked

Last edited by FloridaFan; 02/26/20 01:25 PM.

FloridaFan #1735167 02/26/20 01:32 PM
Legend
Legend
Bro it’s just that I was looking at the Vikings offense and....I mean hopefully all of us are in agreement that baker is better than Kirk cousins.

So I gotta think that stefanski might have the easiest transition out of any new HC.

He’s going from cousins to mayfield.

From diggs and theilen to Landry and OBJ

Rudolph to Njoku

And cook to Chubb and hunt.

Upgrade the o line, and we actually have a decent chance this year to be the team we’re supposed to have been last year.

Hopefully baker learned his lesson and looks at the Vikings O and gets excited and motivated.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1735172 02/26/20 01:39 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
2018 Baker was better than Kirk Cousins. 2019 Baker wasn't. We'll just have to see what we get with 2020 Baker.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FloridaFan #1735180 02/26/20 01:58 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
Originally Posted By: Swish
Jc

On this board? smile People still have agenda and personal rifts from 10 years ago that infiltrate every topic. smile

We still talk about Sashi, like he's in the building for Pete's sake. shocked

There's actually a hidden shrine to Sashi in the building that the analytics guys go to pray to for divine guidance. His martyrdom led to his being granted sainthood from the church of analytics.

Fiercely Independent.
Swish #1735187 02/26/20 02:17 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I mean hopefully all of us are in agreement that baker is better than Kirk cousins.

I think that is a stretch. Baker might turn out to be the better qb, but I don't think you can say that at this point.

Cousins stats were far superior and PFF had him ranked 12 spots ahead of Baker.

Legend
Legend
Yet folks use to make fun of me for saying (give them three years)before you start passing judgement. notallthere

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #1735314 02/26/20 05:15 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Yet folks use to make fun of me for saying (give them three years)before you start passing judgement. notallthere

We thought you were saying "give it three beers!"

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Oh come on that's only 15 min. shocked

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
PitDAWG #1735354 02/26/20 06:38 PM
Legend
Legend

Cousins was way better than Baker last year.

Cousins is like Alex Smith a underappreciated quarterback. Maybe not the highest ceiling but solid players who can win with a decent cast behind them.

The 2019 season for the Browns was a case of talent not reaching their potential. There were many factors at play that pushed the end results. Plenty of blame to spread around.

At this point I am ready to put that season behind us. Freddie dug his own grave. Although the record was a failure there were some good things that did happen.

Landry was a baller. Odell played hurt and was not what he can be. Chubb proved what he is. Myles was ready to dominate until that game ended his season. Schobert was very good. Mack Wilson showed potential. Greedy looks like he will be a good player. The kicking game improved. Baker did not play well but he had his moments and I still believe in his potential.

Personally I have not payed attention to this years draft and will probably not get into it till it is over. At that point I will research the players drafted.

I have little expectations regarding the new regime. That is not a negative statement. I have no idea what to expect so I am very open and will judge them once the season begins. After going through so many regime changes I am numb to anything coming out of Berea regarding what to expect. If I hear "we're exciting about the direction of the team" again I will puke.

"Prove it" is my motto this year. That goes for the new regime, Baker, Odell, Myles, and every part of the team.

You are your record. When I see them play real games I will know what we have.

O
Legend
Legend
O
General reply to the "Baker vs Cousins" sub-conversation...

I do think Cousins was better than Baker this past year. I also think that Baker's ceiling is MUCH higher than Cousins. I would be really disappointed if I went forward in time and found out that Baker only got to be as good as Cousins.

Lastly, I don't think having Cousins in the Browns offense would've made a significant difference. Yes, Baker played poorly, but the problem was much MUCH bigger than 1 player.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
GMdawg #1735389 02/26/20 08:43 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

I agree w/that. I think it is fine to talk about what the player is doing at the current time and to make observations, but it's smarter to wait until about half-way through a dude's third season.

I thought folks were off their rockers [or trying to win an argument] when they were talking about the HOF, multiple Super Bowls, and the best qb in the game. I tried to point out that a lot of QBs regress in year 2. Of course, that was ridiculed.

I also don't agree w/those who say that Baker is a bust. There is talk that Dorsey failed because he is linked to Baker.

I think Baker has a chance to be good. I think it is dumb to proclaim him a bust or a franchise qb at this point in his career. I will say that I believe this is a huge year for him.

bonefish #1735485 02/27/20 09:46 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Cousins was way better than Baker last year.

Cousins is like Alex Smith a underappreciated quarterback. Maybe not the highest ceiling but solid players who can win with a decent cast behind them.

The 2019 season for the Browns was a case of talent not reaching their potential. There were many factors at play that pushed the end results. Plenty of blame to spread around.

At this point I am ready to put that season behind us. Freddie dug his own grave. Although the record was a failure there were some good things that did happen.

Landry was a baller. Odell played hurt and was not what he can be. Chubb proved what he is. Myles was ready to dominate until that game ended his season. Schobert was very good. Mack Wilson showed potential. Greedy looks like he will be a good player. The kicking game improved. Baker did not play well but he had his moments and I still believe in his potential.

Personally I have not payed attention to this years draft and will probably not get into it till it is over. At that point I will research the players drafted.

I have little expectations regarding the new regime. That is not a negative statement. I have no idea what to expect so I am very open and will judge them once the season begins. After going through so many regime changes I am numb to anything coming out of Berea regarding what to expect. If I hear "we're exciting about the direction of the team" again I will puke.

"Prove it" is my motto this year. That goes for the new regime, Baker, Odell, Myles, and every part of the team.

You are your record. When I see them play real games I will know what we have.

In some ways, I am glad last season played out like it did. One can only hope it was a learning experience from expectations, attitude, maturity, self-control, etc.

FloridaFan #1735525 02/27/20 10:52 AM
Legend
Legend

Upon further examination:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/..._13132_31410824

People can take this article as they see fit. I am just posting it. At least the guy backs up what he is saying.

My take was Baker had his moments and they were not all bad.

I believe in his potential.

bonefish #1735529 02/27/20 11:01 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Great article. Thanks for passing it along.

I wish there were more clips justifying the takes, but it is what it is.

Tackles are tackles.
bonefish #1735532 02/27/20 11:04 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I disagree with some points he makes, but overall I think he's fair. He's clearly in Mayfield's corner, and doesn't hide it.

I think he accurately communicated what was going on with a portion of those interceptions (bounced off/ripped out of the receivers hands), but I think it's a bit misleading to highlight that and not mention the plenty of passes that should've been picked but weren't. Also, he glosses over passes that were caught but should've been more accurate.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Agree...

I've said this numerous times, not only here but to my friends outside of here...

Quote:
I would bet the house on Mayfield seeing a big decline in his interception total in 2020.

For those insistent that coaching wasn't a factor...

Quote:
Kitchens, fired in the offseason, did a poor job making the most of his offensive talent. He was too reliant on a screen game that was not effective and ill-suited to the skills of his quarterback. His passing concepts were regularly unproductive, often leaving Mayfield with few options.

And I love and agree with this.

Quote:
He should continue on the path he set for himself in 2018, and become a top-10 quarterback with MVP potential.

devicedawg #1735554 02/27/20 11:46 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Agree...

I've said this numerous times, not only here but to my friends outside of here...

Quote:
I would bet the house on Mayfield seeing a big decline in his interception total in 2020.

Quote:
Kitchens, fired in the offseason, did a poor job making the most of his offensive talent. He was too reliant on a screen game that was not effective and ill-suited to the skills of his quarterback. His passing concepts were regularly unproductive, often leaving Mayfield with few options.

Quote:
He should continue on the path he set for himself in 2018, and become a top-10 quarterback with MVP potential.

I'm actually with you on this. Overall, I think it was a good, overall fair, and accurate article. I also like that he doesn't attempt to hide his being in Mayfield's corner. I agree with the article as a whole even though I want to argue specific points.

-PrplPplEater
FloridaFan #1735555 02/27/20 11:48 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
In some ways, I am glad last season played out like it did. One can only hope it was a learning experience from expectations, attitude, maturity, self-control, etc.

Are you referencing the team, the fan base, or both?

#gmstrong
devicedawg #1735801 02/27/20 08:56 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Agree...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is no underestimating how bad the Kitchen/Monken marriage was. Reports out of camp is it wasn't going smoothly.

They were right.

I feel bad for John. He has to be kicking himself for those hiring decisions.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1735811 02/27/20 09:35 PM
Legend
Legend

Dorsey's decision to hire Freddie cost him his job.

A job he wanted and put his heart and soul into.

bonefish #1735813 02/27/20 09:49 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Coaches are hired and fired all the time. Hiring one bad coach does not usually equate to losing one's job as a GM.

Compounding the problem, Dorsey took a trash roster and turned it into one of the most talented in the league in just two years. Yes, he had ammo to work with, but he also made a lot of other great moves. Firing Dorsey was ignorant and unfair.

bonefish #1735829 02/27/20 11:08 PM
Legend
Legend

In this case it cost him his job.

If the team won 10 games or more Freddie would still have a job and obviously Dorsey.

No doubt Dorsey feels horrible about how it all turned out. It was a perfect deal for him to resurrect the franchise. Make his mark and highlight his career. He spent a lot of time preparing himself for the opportunity. He wrote a book on it. It is easy to question after the fact. The Zeitler Vernon deal at the time it made perfect sense. It just did not work out. Vernon was injured and Corbett bombed.

He put a bunch of talent on the team and it was no accident.

bonefish #1735837 02/27/20 11:16 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bro, my point is that it shouldn't have cost him his job. Was Kiem fired after he fired Wilks in AZ after one year? Was Gettleman fired in NY after firing a couple of coaches? I could go on and on and on and on...

The problem is that Haslam never got rid of the rest of Sashi's crew and they knocked heads w/Dorsey and his guys. I don't blame them. They had a plan. I also don't blame Dorsey and his guys because why would they want to listen to a bunch of guys who made so many poor roster decisions?

Bro, it was a manufactured [not intentionally] disaster waiting to happen. As soon as the Browns started to struggle, you can bet your bottom dollar that Depo was on the phone from SD w/Haslam about what a mistake it was to give Dorsey so much power. Haslam took a back seat when Freddie was hired and you can guarantee that he did not like it. He sided w/Depo and company and forced Dorsey and company out.

We are now stuck w/the dumb guys yet again and the guys who improved our roster by leaps and bounds are gone.

bonefish #1735855 02/28/20 12:37 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I believe there's more to it than just a poor coaching hire and a few losses.

Legend
Legend

You know Dorsey was my guy and I feel he got shafted.

However, I am willing to give Stefanski and Berry their chance. Even though Berry and Depo were there.

I won't judge them till I see what they do and the results.

Even though it doesn't mean a thing at this point I like Stefanski and Berry. They both seem like bright guys with a good solid background.

But when you have been witness to failure from people like Holmgren and our revolving door policy you just become numb.

Like all of us I just want success.

bonefish #1735879 02/28/20 09:01 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I get it. I wasn't arguing w/you. Just venting at how wrong I think the Browns were again. Firing Dorsey and losing the guys that came w/him is the single most confounding decision the Browns have made since their rebirth.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Bro, my point is that it shouldn't have cost him his job. Was Kiem fired after he fired Wilks in AZ after one year? Was Gettleman fired in NY after firing a couple of coaches? I could go on and on and on and on...

The problem is that Haslam never got rid of the rest of Sashi's crew and they knocked heads w/Dorsey and his guys. I don't blame them. They had a plan. I also don't blame Dorsey and his guys because why would they want to listen to a bunch of guys who made so many poor roster decisions?

Bro, it was a manufactured [not intentionally] disaster waiting to happen. As soon as the Browns started to struggle, you can bet your bottom dollar that Depo was on the phone from SD w/Haslam about what a mistake it was to give Dorsey so much power. Haslam took a back seat when Freddie was hired and you can guarantee that he did not like it. He sided w/Depo and company and forced Dorsey and company out.

We are now stuck w/the dumb guys yet again and the guys who improved our roster by leaps and bounds are gone.

John Dorsey wasn't fired for hiring Kitchens. He wasn't even fired for the team's record. He wasn't fired/forced out at all. They asked
him to accept a change in role because his job title was General Manager and not just Top Talent Evaluator. They wanted him to stay top talent evaluator, but he had shown that he was terrible at managing people through both seasons.

It would have been great to keep him as head scout. He wasn't down for that. If someone is great at 1/4 of their job, but bad at the other 3/4 a company isn't going to leave them in that position if they want to be competitive. They're going to try to put him in a position where he can focus on the things he's great at.

We actually have smart guys now. Calling them dumb seems poorly aimed. Questioning Haslam is fine, but implying that Berry is dumb is beneath you.

Fiercely Independent.
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Calling someone like Berry with his CV “dumb” is dumb.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker .....

Link Copied to Clipboard