Defense sucks
Njoku sucks
Greedy sucks
Ward sucks
Schedule sucks
FO decisions suck
Our QB's name is Busterfield

At least you like Chubb!

Welcome aboard (you'll fit right in) and Go Dodgers!

BTW... you should change your name to SuperBrowns2020 wink

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1736300 02/29/20 02:10 PM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Love Landry, Chubb, OBJ, Hunt if he gets his act together. Tretter is solid, Bitonio is ok, Sheldon Richardson, Mack Wilson too LOL

CalDawg #1736301 02/29/20 02:11 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Personally, I would trade this year's first and second and next year's first for a shot at Burrow, trade Baker to the highest bidder, and never look back because I question his ability to put in the work, and get the job done. I am deeply disappointed in his lack of performance this past year and question whether he has what it takes. It was shocking how bad he was. The only reason there is any hope at all is that he did show something his first year, and he must know his career is on the line. JMHO

I would be fine with losing every game this year so we could draft Lawrence next year. Lawrence might be the best QB prospect since Elway … that's almost 40 years of time that has passed. I'm ok with Baker over Burrow, for now.

If Baker lights up it this year, then roll with him. But he has a lot to prove...starting with his maturity and attitude to his work ethic to his play on the field. He has to be willing to learn and take to coaching.

The only thing redeeming about his season last year is he didn't lose his penchant for trying to push the ball downfield. I just don't think that can be taught, and I think plus level throws are the difference between contenders and pretenders. Check down charlies and playing it safe will only get you so far. Stellar QB play that includes plus level game changing throws are vital. If you can't get a guy to even attempt those, you've got no chance. Mayfield, for all of his awfulness last year, didn't lose this aspect. It just needs to be honed in.

My own personal opinion is the Browns will be looking for another QB in 2021. And if Keenum is signed, I expect Mayfield to be benched at some point this year in favor of Keenum. I saw all I needed to see from Mayfield against UGA in the CFP. I forgot all of that after his rookie season, but lost sight that he was playing with house money. When the house money dries up and the odds are the longest, he folds. I expect the same this year. Add in his craptastic attitude, and I believe he will fold.

(Now everyone bookmark this post and make a mental note of it. If Baker has an MVP caliber season, bring it back to life and point out how wrong I was. I would be more than happy to eat mounds and mounds of crow if it meant that Baker was playing well and the Browns were winning. It's all I care about.)

I just don't see it. Some guys are winners. I haven't seen anything from Baker that says he's a winner. He was an overachiever fueled on an unrelenting confidence and belief in himself and that took him very far. Once you reach the pros, that no longer matters. You either got it or you don't and even if you got it, you still have to be willing to put in the work. I just don't see it.

I also think Baker plays best when he is the unquestioned top dawg playing with followers. Many leaders are great leaders when they are leading followers. It's hard to lead other leaders. That takes a different type of mentality and leadership.

CalDawg #1736303 02/29/20 02:12 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Quote:
I'm not going to comment on the coaching/FO changes but right now I'm feeling pretty uninspired to follow the Browns... I hope this feeling changes by the time the season starts because I have never followed another team, but I'm struggling to continue being a diehard fan.

I'm sorry to say it, but I feel the exact same way.

Me three.

Rishuz #1736305 02/29/20 02:15 PM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
you the man. My sentiments exactly. They should tank for Trevor. Totally agree on Mayfield vs Georgia in the Playoffs. He chokes under pressure.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Bears talking to the Bengals about trading for Dalton. Dak still looking to get paid. Cowboys are my other team. I think he was crazy for turning down $34 million. The Brady situation is still ongoing. Lots of issues unresolved including the CBA in the NFL

Rishuz #1736393 02/29/20 03:55 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I would be fine with losing every game this year so we could draft Lawrence next year. Lawrence might be the best QB prospect since Elway … that's almost 40 years of time that has passed.

No no no no no .... I agree with others that talk about the culture of losing and how hard it is to change ... we've got two back to back nearly .500 seasons and you'd be fine with a roulette wheel spin on a QB about to play a college season where literally anything might happen including a #1 pick refusing to sign for a franchise that just went 0-16 again? No thanks! Baker doesn't need to be Elway for us to win games and go to the playoffs and win in the playoffs. If we "only" got the Rookie Baker back - it'd be good enough. I'm hoping his ceiling is higher.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Browns2020 #1736396 02/29/20 03:56 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Browns2020
Bears talking to the Bengals about trading for Dalton. Dak still looking to get paid. Cowboys are my other team. I think he was crazy for turning down $34 million. The Brady situation is still ongoing. Lots of issues unresolved including the CBA in the NFL

Bears are a much more balanced and touch team to beat with Dalton in there instead of Tribisky

Browns2020 #1736443 02/29/20 05:07 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns have a very tough schedule this year. To have a winning season, the defense needs massive upgrades, Mayfield needs to put in the work, personally, I would tank for Lawrence next year, and the play calling needs major improvement. Mayfield will not lead any team anywhere. He folds in the clutch, he doesnt read defenses well, his footwork is not good,and he puts his receivers in bad positions. He isn't the answer at QB.

I dont see too many wins this year. Cowboys and Redskins got major Head Coaching upgrades. They have the Colts, Titans, Texans, and Jags. Bengals should be getting Burrow, which they only split last year vs the Bengals. Raiders will be most likely a loss. Jets is a potential win, Giants are a potential win, other than that, I think there will be a lot of losses next year

FATE #1736457 02/29/20 05:24 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
You are all messed up Browns2020 hating most of our players/FO and then on top of that being a Dodger fan ... GO GIANTS!!! wink

Last edited by PastorMarc; 02/29/20 05:25 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
mgh888 #1736487 02/29/20 06:11 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
If we "only" got the Rookie Baker back - it'd be good enough.

I'm not sure if that's possible. Baker may come back around. But watching QB's fail around this team doesn't give me much hope he will.

I wasn't..then I was and now I'm not big on Baker. Baker ruined last season for me. He ruined it so bad that I'm not paying for season tickets anymore. I don't even want to pay for one game.

I'm not even sure about a guy like Burrows. To me he is like Cardale Jones. He had a great team around him. The team was going to win no matter who was QB.

I liked what Justin Herbert did in the Combine .. He was throwing some nice long passes with a nice arc . The Receivers could run under the ball. Baker he just throws that hard rifle ball all the time.

I don't know what it is about Heisman winning QB's .. But most don't pan out...Guys like Staubach..Plunkett won SuperBowls and had successful careers..Maybe Cam Newton could be mentioned as one. Other than that most of them had okay or below careers in the NFL.

I'm not sure how Drew Brees never won it but what he did in Purdue and the NFL surely shows an outstanding career... Brady ...Roethlisberger... Farve.. they have shown great success.

If Baker wants to have a successful career as an NFL QB then he needs to grow up and act like he wants it now or it's going to be over and another wash for a Cleveland QB. I wouldn't care if Baker stays or goes. But he better get it together before I can feel comfortable about the Browns turning it around.

PitDAWG #1736488 02/29/20 06:13 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
You mentioned a lot of things. How did any of those things make him less accurate when he threw the ball?

LOTS of things made him less accurate last year. Poor footwork with no coaching. Poor preparation for the week - matched by poor coaching. Zero confidence in the plays being called and his teammate's ability to know and execute the plays. An OL that was as consistent as the sunrise...at being very unreliable.

He could have had a "PERECT" offseason and been his usual accurate self...and that STILL wouldn't overcome the cluster that was the 2019 season.

I know you want it to be one thing - all Baker's fault - but it's simply not.

DeisleDawg #1736496 02/29/20 06:48 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
If Baker wants to have a successful career as an NFL QB then he needs to grow up and act like he wants it now or it's going to be over and another wash for a Cleveland QB.

I agree - but I have a lot more confidence in the young man than you do ! I also think last year's performances were as much as result of Kitchens and the scheme as it was about him. Yes - he was much less accurate and yes he brought a large slice of that on himself by his off season choices. But to me Kitchens will always be a regression from Hue - and Hue was one of the worst ever all by his good self.

Rishuz #1736497 02/29/20 06:58 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I will make this prediction. Justin fields will be the first qb off the board next year.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
I will make this prediction. Justin fields will be the first qb off the board next year.

Trevor Lawrence?

cfrs15 #1736502 02/29/20 07:16 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
check their season stats last year. very close but a slight edge to fields. that was his first year with the team so he will improve next season. we shall see how it plays out.

Last edited by keithfromxenia; 02/29/20 07:17 PM.
mgh888 #1736509 02/29/20 07:26 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Bears are a much more balanced and touch team to beat with Dalton in there instead of Tribisky

That's probably because they would be able to pass the ball.

Dalton is sooooooooooooooooo much better than Trubisky.

mgh888 #1736511 02/29/20 07:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
I also think last year's performances were as much as result of Kitchens and the scheme as it was about him. Yes - he was much less accurate and yes he brought a large slice of that on himself by his off season choices.

Well said and I agree.. What scares me is the off season choices part.. I honestly feel like this is JM all over again...

I really hope Baker can turn it around...I'm really going to miss tailgating with Columbus Saint Peen Lurker Fate and all the others who are there .. I sound like a band wagon fan. For years I went to the games and was always so excited and hopeful and overly positive about the seasons. But last season did it for me.. I can no longer justify paying what I did for tickets parking and all other costs.

Peen and Columbus made it possible for me to make all the games. I'm actually excited about not being committed to going this season. It came to a point where I would wake up Sunday morning to head up to the game wishing I wasn't. missing them guys tailgating sucked..Even worse was walking out after a game watching the team lose yet again.

I met so many wonderful people from this board because of the Cleveland Browns... over 30 friends I made because of the Browns off this board.. All I want is what they want ..what all Fans want... A team that wins Championships and Super Bowls...

DeisleDawg #1736525 02/29/20 07:50 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I'm not even that ambitious anymore, I just want a team that wins more than loses. Is 9-7 too much to wish for ?

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Halfback32 #1736544 02/29/20 08:37 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

A few thoughts...

--I feel bad for guys like Diesel who don't want to go to the games anymore. I will tell you that this team has a ton of talent. They can win big w/the talent on hand. I think it comes down to the same thing as last year. 1. Baker 2. HC 3. Chemistry/Team Attitude.

--I still question Baker's personality. Hell, he challenged a fan to a fight right before a game last year. He criticized a teammate. He criticized all sorts of folks. He made fun of former players and coaches. He mocked working w/a QB coach both last year and this year. That pick of him that I posted earlier w/the Giant players was embarrassing. He looks more like a guy in a Monday night bowling league than a professional football player. He didn't work out--other than one time--w/his teammates last off-season. I just have not seen proof of him being a "hard worker."

However, I think he has real arm talent and has a lot of moxie. Thus, I think he still has a chance to be good. Giving up on him would be a mistake at this point in time.

--This one is kind of off the wall, but I couldn't help but think during the coaching search that bringing in McDaniels as HC and him, in turn, bringing Brady w/him......this team could have had a legit shot to win the Super Bowl next year. I'm sure that Brady would have loved playing w/this talent even though some on here knock that talent.

--Now, it's up to Baker and Stefanski to lead this talented roster to great heights. I think they have a chance. I cautioned people last year about all the high expectations. This year, I see a lot of negative expectations. I'm not predicting the great heights that many had for last year's team, but I believe they have the talent to be a very good football team.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree, but as talented as we are, the talent is clumped together. We have to add to the Oline and on D we need to add to 3 of the 4 position groups. DL, LB, And S are weak IMO.

We will need to address some of that in FA because we won't be able to add that many starters in the draft.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
If you have to watch your #1 overall pic like a hawk and demand he not act like a delta bravo, you need a new QB because he isn't the one.

Browns2020 #1736642 03/01/20 08:39 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't say they need to watch him like a hawk. I just think he needs to "evolve" as a person. It would be ignorant to give up on him. He could end up being good.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
The only thing he does well as a QB, is throw hard passes. You cannot change who a person is, and frankly, he was a delta bravo at Oklahoma and has been a delta bravo since he's been here.

I mean seriously what NFL QB has shaved 3x in one day, and got tackled into a wall by the police before he was ever in the NFL. He isn't clutch, he folds under pressure, and was complaining the fans were too loud, and was arguing with a Bengals fan in the stands.

All that evidence suggests he isn't the 1.

But you are 100% entitled to your opinion

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I think a great TE will help any QB. This is a glaring need on the Offense. Austin Hooper for the Falcons would be a major upgrade. I think the Packers are interested in him, not sure why the Browns wouldn't go after him. If not, Cole Kmet TE from Notre Dame looks good at 41.

mgh888 #1736648 03/01/20 08:58 AM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Unfortunately, Mayfield likely peaked his rookie year. Haslam condones losing, so that is a major problem with this organization. It should be impossible to go 32-88-1 the way the NFL is set up. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenaes

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Chubb is fantastic and has been underutilized his 1st 2 seasons. Hopefully Stefanski is smart enough to change that. Love OBJ and Landry. Higgins, not sure if it was a Freddie issue, or he was thinking he was better than he is.

Tretter is solid at C. OL isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is. Defense took a major step back after the Garrett suspension. I think the DL is pretty solid, but the LBs, CBs, and S were flat out awful, and need major upgrades

Browns2020 #1736671 03/01/20 10:04 AM
Legend
Legend
If you have to watch your #1 overall pic like a hawk and demand he not act like a delta bravo, you need a new QB because he isn't the one.

Is your last name Bosa wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
WSU Willie #1736690 03/01/20 10:30 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Imagine if bake didn’t come in looking like he needed to go to fat camp ....

Imagine if bake would have worked with a broom sweeper ...

Imagine if bake didn’t throw so many inaccurate passes especially high ...

Imagine if Bake didn’t panic and roll out right on 50% of our pass plays ...

Imagine if bake wasn’t a one read qb ...

Imagine if bake didn’t throw so many picks ...

There’s a lot to imagine about last year ... Lots of Blame to go around ... But god forbid we place blame where it belongs ... rolleyes

DiamDawg #1736696 03/01/20 10:36 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So you're saying we should blame Dorsey and Kitchens for the mess around Baker?

It's no wonder Baker got fat with Kitchens always on his mind and his GM always chewing on something.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1736699 03/01/20 10:43 AM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
LOL. That is one of my favorite quotes.

DeisleDawg #1736730 03/01/20 11:22 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:
I also think last year's performances were as much as result of Kitchens and the scheme as it was about him. Yes - he was much less accurate and yes he brought a large slice of that on himself by his off season choices.

Well said and I agree.. What scares me is the off season choices part.. I honestly feel like this is JM all over again...

Ouch ! That's a low blow !
Of course - if you set your expectations that low you can only (I hope) be pleasantly surprised!

I never liked or wanted JM. I wanted Baker. So I already have some baked in reluctance to equate the two.

JM came from money, had talent, but was given a whole lot as an athlete, and while he ran around a bit an could throw the ball on the run we saw in the NFL he took hits and got hurt 'easily'. Compared to Baker who, while coming across as arrogant and immature in college, worked his tail off for everything he got and wasn't handed anything. He's not a lot taller than JM but that 1" still counts and he seems to me to be significantly more solid than JM. . . . . I don't know how JM's team mates truly felt about him, but Baker's team have always rallied around and to him.

Bottom line Baker needs to change from what he did and was last off season. Hope he learns and matures and surprises you more than a little

Legend
Legend
Baker, and the entire team, will be better schematically than last year.

the big question mark now is heart. not just for Bake but the entire team.

last year they showed a lot of mental weakness. thats a hell of a lot harder to overcome than scheme and play calling.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
DiamDawg #1736786 03/01/20 12:36 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Imagine if bake didn’t come in looking like he needed to go to fat camp ....

Imagine if bake would have worked with a broom sweeper ...

Imagine if bake didn’t throw so many inaccurate passes especially high ...

Imagine if Bake didn’t panic and roll out right on 50% of our pass plays ...

Imagine if bake wasn’t a one read qb ...

Imagine if bake didn’t throw so many picks ...

There’s a lot to imagine about last year ... Lots of Blame to go around ... But god forbid we place blame where it belongs ... rolleyes

He could have done all of those things and Kush still couldn't block for crap, Robinson would still get benched for being a dink, Hubbard would still be oftentimes mistaken for a folding chair, OBJ would still not know where to line up, the team would still get to the line with less than 8 seconds on the playclock and Landry would still not know where the plays came from beyond those first scripted.

Baker didn't help the situation much...but what 2nd year QB could? I don't think there is a single poster on this board or Browns fan I've ever met in person who thinks that Baker had no fault in the 2019 failures.

WSU Willie #1736794 03/01/20 01:15 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
The first paragraph of your post clearly shows u want to deflect a VERY HIGH % of bakes issues on everyone but bake ..

Kinda makes the last paragraph meaningless .... The way i take your posts lately ...

KJ stunk and Bake’s issues had way more to do with others than him ...

Thats what your posts (the parts of the ones i read) say to me .... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
J/C

I think this is the biggest offseason of Baker’s career. If he still has the same inaccuracy and results next season we’re in big trouble

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DiamDawg #1736812 03/01/20 01:52 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
The first paragraph of your post clearly shows u want to deflect a VERY HIGH % of bakes issues on everyone but bake ..

Kinda makes the last paragraph meaningless .... The way i take your posts lately ...

KJ stunk and Bake’s issues had way more to do with others than him ...

Thats what your posts (the parts of the ones i read) say to me .... thumbsup

I suggest you re-read those posts. I've stated numerous times that Baker didn't do what he needed to do...not sure if I should put it in caps or what...or maybe just misspell a bunch of words to make it clearer. tongue

Maybe this makes it better: If the dysfunction and poor coaching and crap Oline were better/acceptable, Baker would have not likely have been in position to take advantage of the opportunity to win more games and get to the playoffs because he didn't do what was needed to improve and be ready for teams that now/then had/have tape on him.

KJ? He did some good things...he failed at some things...he got rid of guys that weren't HIS guys, he brought in some guys who weren't any better than the guys he released and he spent some money on some disappointing talent and gave out some bad contracts. He was a part of the dysfunction. He wasn't the worst GM we've ever had and he might have been the best...but that's a crazy-low bar. In th eend, he simply wasn't good enough...just like every other GM STR.

Browns2020 #1736820 03/01/20 02:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns have a very tough schedule this year. To have a winning season, the defense needs massive upgrades, Mayfield needs to put in the work, personally, I would tank for Lawrence next year, and the play calling needs major improvement. Mayfield will not lead any team anywhere. He folds in the clutch, he doesnt read defenses well, his footwork is not good,and he puts his receivers in bad positions. He isn't the answer at QB.

I dont see too many wins this year. Cowboys and Redskins got major Head Coaching upgrades. They have the Colts, Titans, Texans, and Jags. Bengals should be getting Burrow, which they only split last year vs the Bengals. Raiders will be most likely a loss. Jets is a potential win, Giants are a potential win, other than that, I think there will be a lot of losses next year

They have the 4th easiest schedule in the NFL in 2020.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Lol yeah they had an easy schedule when they wentt 1-31 too. This is much harder

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Jags should be a win, Jets and Giants maybe, and maybe a split with the Bengals. Thats 4 wins best case

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker .....

Link Copied to Clipboard