Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
Yeah I'm not clear on any new offer which didn't change my opinion one way or another. Fact is we have made the best offer as of yet to Clowney and he has turned it down.

Which more than probable he is not buying into our program as he is looking to be a mercenary to a team that is Suppose to make a SB run. jmho

You could be right.

I think he has overvalued himself and is just hoping another team comes forward with a better deal.

If he wanted to sign a cheap contract with a contender, he would have already done that by now.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Legend
Legend
C
We reportedly offered Clowney $12 million per year:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-r...ter-deal-later/

Legend
Legend
I am OK with Clowney in our house on a fair and lower contract. I am also OK with him listening to his ego and being out of the ;league for a year. Seems to enjoy turning people down.
I don't see a real ambitious pursuit of him myself. He is turning down offers.

Rest up.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

perfect. I’d give him that for sure (crazy its his best offer too)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Heck, I'd offer him that for six years AND throw in incentives.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Purp, you are in charge.That should be plenty! Sign him. What an awesome line we would have.

He can have his own special spot on the Island! Make it so. brownie thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Heck, I'd offer him that for six years AND throw in incentives.

I agree.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The question now is if another team that Clowney considers a contender will match the offer we made. Doesn't seem like it has happened yet or is likely to happen.

My bet is that is what Clowney is hoping for.

If there is no movement at all does he sign with a contender for 8-10 Million or take the deal with us?

Legend
Legend
I think we’ll know more once facilities open up and he can visit in person to get a physical

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
My guess is the holdup is his agent knows Vernon makes 15 mil and knows we cut Vernon if Clowney signs, so he may just want to suck up the other 3 mil.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'd like to keep Vernon even if we sign Clowney, at least for one year.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I'd like to keep Vernon even if we sign Clowney, at least for one year.

We could do it. I think I would rather use Vernons money to lock up Garrett for another 4-5 years. Give him that money in the form of a signing bonus.

Garrett and Clowney for the next 5-6 years sounds pretty darn good to me.

I want to get some guys locked in a year early. They have incentive to do so. They have incentive to do so, get your big payday early without risking injury this year, and the team does because we get it cheaper because taking a year of risk away from a player is worth something.

Look at Pryor. It may sound cool to bet on yourself, but I'll bet he wished he didn't make that bet.

Mashed potato's with no milk, salt, pepper, butter and gravy aren't all that good. Face it, simply boiled potato without any seasoning isn't all that good. It isn't bad, but not good.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Some food for thought on Clowney and why the Browns probably won't offer anywhere near 17 million per year.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Some food for thought on Clowney and why the Browns probably won't offer anywhere near 17 million per year.

Excellent find. Thanks. I forget about Clayborn.

No way I want Clowney for 17 mil. The 12 figure being thrown around, I can live with that.

Clayborn, I did forget about him, and as a guy who gets Falcons games on local tv I see them fairly often, he is a disruptive player.

Good take my man.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
and he is making less than 3 million per year.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
That's a really nice find.
It definitely improves my feelings about us signing Clayborn (who I, too, forgot about). If Clayborn can be at least average against the run, then we don't need Clowney.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
That sounds like a nice idea ... sign Clowney and use Vernon’s money to front load Myles

O
Legend
Legend
O

That definitely gives some context behind his hesitance to sign with us with the offer out there.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

That definitely gives some context behind his hesitance to sign with us with the offer out there.
its also telling what other teams feel about him right now

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

I don't think it is anything bad. I am thinking they want the rest of Vernons salary for this year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I honestly would rather keep Vernon this year if we decide to add Clowney.

His contract is off the books after this year and we can give that money to Myles.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm more than just a little confused by some of what people are saying myself. Last time I checked we had around 38 mil in cap space. That would leave 15 or so for Clowney and still leave 23 to extend Garret and front load some of that money.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife

His contract is off the books after this year and we can give that money to Myles.

I agree with this, we have the money, I would rather keep Vernon and add Clowney, but if Vernon had to be cut for Clowney, I would not do that, I like a healthy Vernon over Clowney. JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

I agree with this, we have the money, I would rather keep Vernon and add Clowney, but if Vernon had to be cut for Clowney, I would not do that, I like a healthy Vernon over Clowney. JMHO

Vernon can’t stay healthy either and is not as talented as Clowney.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Vernon can’t stay healthy either and is not as talented as Clowney.

That's your opinion and I respect that but I don't believe Clowney is better than Vernon ... JMO

Last edited by PastorMarc; 06/03/20 02:11 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Olivier Vernon Career Stats

(Years) - 8 (G) - 113 (GS) - 95 (Total Tackles) 353 - (Sacks) - 54.5 (Assit) - 255 (Solo) - 98 (TFL) - 75 (QBH) - 141

Jadavien Clowney Career Stats

(Years) - 6 (G) - 75 (GS) - 66 (Total Tackles) - 236 (Sacks) - 32.0 (Assit) - 172 (Solo) - 64 (TFL) - 71 (QBH) - 80

SO HERE ARE THEIR AVERAGE PER YEAR IN DIFFERENT CATEGORIES: Olivier Vernon Actually Played in More Games Per Year than Clowney ...

(Games Per Year) OV-14 JD-12 (Games Started Per Year) OV-12 JD-11 (Tackles Per Year) OV-44.1 JD-39.3 (Sacks Per Year) OV-6.7 JD-5.3 (Tackles for Loss Per Year) OV-9.3 JD-11.8 (Quarter Back Hits Per Year) OV-17.6 JD-13.3

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
JMO. Vernon, when healthy, is a more productive player than Clowney. If we could sign JC at the right price I would like to keep OV. We can afford it for 1 year as Vernon's contract is over after this year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Olivier Vernon Career Stats

(Years) - 8 (G) - 113 (GS) - 95 (Total Tackles) 353 - (Sacks) - 54.5 (Assit) - 255 (Solo) - 98 (TFL) - 75 (QBH) - 141

Jadavien Clowney Career Stats

(Years) - 6 (G) - 75 (GS) - 66 (Total Tackles) - 236 (Sacks) - 32.0 (Assit) - 172 (Solo) - 64 (TFL) - 71 (QBH) - 80

SO HERE ARE THEIR AVERAGE PER YEAR IN DIFFERENT CATEGORIES: Olivier Vernon Actually Played in More Games Per Year than Clowney ...

(Games Per Year) OV-14 JC-12 (Games Started Per Year) OV-12 JC-11 (Tackles Per Year) OV-44.1 JC-39.3 (Sacks Per Year) OV-6.7 JC-5.3 (Tackles for Loss Per Year) OV-9.3 JC-11.8 (Quarter Back Hits Per Year) OV-17.6 JC-13.3

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yes, we know.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

B
Legend
Legend
B
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool mom.

Captain Penny

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/timmy...eal-per-report/

Timmy Jernigan was supposed to sign with Houston but decided not to ... he’s an experienced DT, although has had some injury history.

He started for Philly’s 4-3 DT and was effective when healthy .. and he’s still 27/28

I wonder with Berry’s time in Philly and our need for DT depth if he’s an option

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: cle23
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dawg
He's not a bust. LOL........this place is crazy.

Clowney has been a bust for being the 1st overall pick. He has 32 sacks in 75 games played, which in 6 seasons, means he's missed 21 games due to injury.

For comparison sake, Garret has 30.5 sacks in 37 games, and has missed 11 games to injury/suspension.

Clowney is a good player, but a bust as the #1 overall pick, especially with him playing opposite Watt for years.

That still doesn't make him a bust. Gerrard Warren wasn't a bust.

Warren may not have lived up to expectations, but you don't start 14-15 years if you are a bust.

Just saying.

Warren didn't. he only started 8 years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WarrGe20.htm

he did manage 36.5 sacks and 29.5 QB hits in his 10.5 year carrrer

I was wrong about how long he played. It was 11 years. Not 14. He started double digit games 9 of his 11 years, so he was a starter most of his career for multiple teams.

My only point is just because a player doesn't meet fan expectations doesn't make the player a bust. You are a bust when you are drafted high and coaches don't play you and you wash out after 4-5 years. A guy like Bosworth or Manzel, they were busts. Warren or Clowney aren't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
a healthy vernon>clowney. problem is you don't get a healthy vernon very long, and then on other hand no way in hell is clowney with anywhere near what he wants.. if i'm the browns, i just stand pat at DE, or maybe get Griffen. We need a LB more than we need DE

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
We need a LB more than we need DE

until we see what we have in the schemes we're running isn't sufficient, I don't buy this, at all. I think that what we have is "good enough" given that our D isn't driven by the LBers. As a group, they are the least important in the system, by all accounts I've seen so far.
In fact, if the other parts do their jobs appropriately, I'm betting that the LBers we have will suddenly look like studs.

Browns is the Browns

L
Legend
Legend
L
I hope you're right, but I don't think you will be..LB's are instrumental in stopping the run, we haven't done that in years, going to be even harder with this group.. Let's hope the rookie and the 2nd year guys show up well, Hope they arent counting the FA we signed to do much. I still think at least one starting LB isnt on the team yet

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
I hope you're right, but I don't think you will be..LB's are instrumental in stopping the run, we haven't done that in years, going to be even harder with this group.. Let's hope the rookie and the 2nd year guys show up well, Hope they arent counting the FA we signed to do much. I still think at least one starting LB isnt on the team yet

Virus, Protests, New Head Coach, New NFL rules in 2016 ish. to limit offseason two a days,

I hope at least if one startng LB isn't on the team yet, they get enough time to work together.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Funny how some people want statistics to prove your point and when they get them they act like they mean nothing smh superconfused

Last edited by PastorMarc; 06/04/20 04:32 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Young players usually either progress or fall by the wayside. And by your own reasoning I have no idea if we are "good enough" at the LB position. We have no idea of the exact system we will be running or how much these young guys have progressed. So although I'm using some of your own logic I simply can't arrive at the same conclusion.

I will also, by that same logic, not predict doom and gloom either.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I realize that I'm going out on a limb a bit here, but given the amount of thought and planning this group is known to put into each and every move, I don't think we'd have gotten this far without having done more at LB if we weren't comfortable with the young kids' level of "good enough" for this system.

I do think it is likely to be a group we address heavily next offseason, unless the young bucks stud out.

Browns is the Browns

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency Part III

Link Copied to Clipboard