Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thank you.

Let me ask you a question. What do you think the main key and/or 3 main keys are for the Browns this season?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Wow! Another great call by me. LOL

Don't beat yourself up over it...I had him as the most NFL ready QB that draft class, obviously wrong lol...

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Thank you.

Let me ask you a question. What do you think the main key and/or 3 main keys are for the Browns this season?

As odd as it may sound, in no specific order and off the top of my head.

I think its key that we finally field a healthy and rather strong rotation (most notably upfront on the Dline) For many years, it always seems apparent to me we over-use our own players....to the point they are washed out in games. I never have figured out why this was never assembled prior. Perhaps it was in the works, but I'm sure the changing of coaches and FO tears everything down. As you know I'm not just a Browns homer, and tend to watch other games just as much. I'll just pick the Eagles as an example...The past several years they are like 4 deep at DE and ditto for DT...They can rotate in and out so easy, and always seem to have guys fresh or fresher through the game...A reason why their front can bring pressure all by themselves. Heck there was many times last year I noted Myles Garrett sucking air in the 2nd quarter...Obviously you aren't nearly effective when your winded or worn down. Obviously it wasn't just him, but Sheldon/Ogi were the same at many points. I truly believe this was a lot of issues regarding literally no ability to rush the passer, or preserving block and or gap assignments...Talent and understanding plays a role as well.

I think on paper our LB core is god awful. They will have to at least play at a rate of good-very good for us to have success. I have little faith in this group, and hoping they prove me wrong. If we are to do anything this year, a lot hinges on this group proving themselves as NFL starters...And I don't mean the Cleveland Browns norm (starters, because that's all we have there to play...I want legit NFL starters)

Obviously I can't go on any further without the mention of our QB and how instrumental that he must play much better this year. No more running backwards to clear space to see, thus throwing himself right into where our OT's push their defenders right to...which always resulted into something horrible happening. I for one, always wandered why that continued nearly all year. Baker has to improve greatly for us to have any chance. He has to do a much better job reading the field, and taking what the defense gives him. Obviously we all want quicker more accurate throws. If he doesn't improve greatly from the disaster he was last year, then we are bound for troubled future(s).

I will throw something else out there...OBJ. When we traded for OBJ, I have never EVER seen this board so happy. Everyone was on cloud nine, and there was nothing but happiness here. I was really disappointed by him, heck I had Kareem Hunt as our 2nd best receiver on our team behind Jarvis. OBJ is finally healthy, he better be rather improved in all areas as well...

So I would say our Dline needs to stay fresh and rotated to keep the opposing running O limited...Hinges on that LB core playing beyond what I sadly expect.

On O, Baker has to take big strides this year with one of his weapons (OBJ) taking strides as well. Obviously there's more than that...But those are the main things I want to see rectified this year. I think we have a great running game, with a nice Oline in place. Was hoping to see Delpit in that young secondary...but I hope they will be ok back there, FS is a concern once again.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks dawg.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I’d take Rosen and his potential over Garrett Gilbert everyday.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Gilbert looked awful today.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Gilbert looked awful today.

He’s a journeyman who was in the UFL a year ago. Josh Rosen is only 23 (younger than Joe Burrow) and has been in two of the worst situations possible.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I’m surprised they couldnt get anything for Rosen. At the end of the day, he’s still a gifted passer and a top 10 type pick. I mean, I’d take him over Trubisky if I were the Bears

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
j/c...

Rosen didn't look very good in his three starts last year, but I still expected much more of a test drive for a team that seemed to be tanking. He still has a higher ceiling than many QBs in this league.

I expect that he'll get another shot somewhere. I don't think he (mostly his situation) fits on a team trying to groom a rookie. There is nothing he's going to do (or may be willing to do) to help... and many young players who feel they haven't really been given a fair shake seem to be too condescending to that end.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, it seems like the Packers are purposely trying to antagonize Rodgers.

Legend
Legend

You were not alone.

I was a Darnold guy but Rosen was my second choice and Baker third.

Rosen threw a great ball. I thought for sure he would have a good NFL career. There were some things I did not like about him. But I sure didn't foresee he would bottom out like he has.

Makes you wonder why? What happened with him? He was always perceived as a bright guy. I have not followed him much since the draft. So I don't now what has been said about him. Must be clear inside the NFL that it just isn't there.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

R
Legend
Legend
R
I read a quote from Flores just yesterday I think on Rosen. Said he had the best arm of the three QBs, but wasn't as good as processing information. It was brutally honest and I was surprised to read it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Crazy what the NFL will do to a player. Before the draft Rosen was considered the least physically talented of the five first round QBs but the most mentally strong.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The two reasons I liked Rosen in college were:

1. His accuracy
2. Most importantly, he was the only one I saw who quickly read coverages while also making pre-snap reads.

I had concerns about his frame [injury history/risk] and how he sometimes trusted his arm too much and forced some throws.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Crazy what the NFL will do to a player. Before the draft Rosen was considered the least physically talented of the five first round QBs but the most mentally strong.

I know.

I think this really speaks to the situation you are drafted into.

Legend
Legend

Why do you think he failed?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Inability to handle adversity.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

Asking in all honesty anything specifically?

I have not followed his time in Miami.

The guy has a strong accurate arm. Were there complaints about him? Leadership? Slow to process? Inability to move? Not accurate outside the pocket?

I am interested what went wrong with him?

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Arizona completely destroyed this kid from the start.

Keim surrounded him with worst OL in the league, one of the worst offensive coordinators (who was fired very early into the '18 season IIRC), and was put into an offensive system that wasn't what was advertised before the season.

Being out west, I never read anything about his attitude other than that he was a good locker room guy and didn't complain.

All this and the way the front office treated him with the Murray thing (imo) sealed his mindset going into Miami.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Anyone got the pass rush grade for Shaquem Griffin (who the Seahawks cut)?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Asking in all honesty anything specifically?

I have not followed his time in Miami.

The guy has a strong accurate arm. Were there complaints about him? Leadership? Slow to process? Inability to move? Not accurate outside the pocket?

I am interested what went wrong with him?

Does poorly when things breakdown/he's under pressure. Kind of has a tendency to spazz out and chuck it. Lacks mobility to run away from people as well.

When it happens like it's drawn up, he's pretty good. Unfortunately, things don't always go as drawn up in football.

He looks good for most of this game, but there are a few illustrations of what I'm talking about here:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

Ok thanks.

It must have been clear to those who saw him every day in Miami.

A first round pick is not easy to give up on. It is one thing to struggle some. But if you show improvement and there is a sense of "hey he will improve and is getting it" they may demote him to second string.

Miami is saying basically "we see no future for him."

O
Legend
Legend
O
I watched that video. I don't think he looked all that bad, considering.

His line and receivers started going to crap before he did. He looked great until his receivers started dropping balls and the rush started getting to him. He started looking really bad late in the game down 20, with those 2 questionable decisions on throws early. Other than that, there were quite a few easy throws.

I'm not saying it was a good game, but if that's an example of one of his worst games, considering what was going on in Miami, I don't think it's all that bad.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think what one has to consider, and as was discussed on this very board is what Rosen is. He is a pocket passer type QB. He isn't mobile. The very definition of system QB. That system would be to have a very strong OL and setting him up with max protection.

Neither of the teams he played with has anything that resembles close to that type of a system. I can't say with certainty that's all of his problems because I haven't followed the situation that closely. But what I can say is when he went to both Arizona and Miami I knew they were not set up in a manner conducive to Rosen's success.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Good points. Certainly Arizona went another direction.

Miami made the deal to get him. Fitz was there and Rosen could not unseat him.

Now Miami is going another direction.

When I watched his tape during his draft season. My issue with him was pocket awareness and escapability.

He seemed to lack when he needed to move. And when he was forced to throw of different platforms; he struggled.

But damn I loved his throwing mechanics.

Legend
Legend
Jadeveon Clowney is expected to sign with the Tennessee Titans sources tell ESPN. He rejoins Mike Vrabel who was on the Texans defensive staff for Clowney’s first 3 years in the league in Houston. The Saints, the other main suitor, made a very strong case. This was a close one.

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1302377303268352002

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
At least it’s not baltimore

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I’m tired of Clowney lol. I mean, just make a decision ... or don’t ... or at least media stop talking about it

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Why do you think he failed?

Not really sure. I don't buy the processing thing. That was a strength.

I do think he tried to force some throws and he threw some dumb picks as a result. I also didn't see him making many big plays. I agree w/the AZ that he was in a horrible situation w/the Cardinals. I really didn't watch him last year very much. But, Fitz played better than he did. I wonder if he has leadership issues. No proof, but it might make sense.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Anyone got the pass rush grade for Shaquem Griffin (who the Seahawks cut)?

Pass Rush grade = 64.1
Total Pass Rush snaps = 80

Pass Rush grade = 55.0
Total Pass Rush snaps = 3

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

he's nowhere near good enough to be causing this kind of drama..he's also not worth anywhere near what he wants.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

he's nowhere near good enough to be causing this kind of drama..he's also not worth anywhere near what he wants.

Your worth is whatever you can convince someone to pay for your services.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Could someone compare those numbers to someone we’ve had?

Legend
Legend
And, you do not need to persuade and convince everyone; just the one right person will do.

It does seem that there's more than enough lather around this individual's soap opera. I thought I read that he fired his agent, might have been yesterday? Sorry, dawgs; I have trouble reading the small print crawl on the fly anymore on TV. Just sign something already. No longer al that, bruh.

Last edited by Bard Dawg; 09/06/20 08:13 AM.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
The Lions are signing RB Adrian Peterson. Be interesting to see how the backfield work is split

Lions backfield for now:
Kerryon Johnson
D'Andre Swift
Adrian Peterson
Ty Johnson
Bo Scarborough

Swift and Scarborough have been banged up of late, with Detroit now leaning further into a committee approach.
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1302583824669380608

#gmSTRONG
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency Part III

Link Copied to Clipboard