Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1866831 06/07/21 11:22 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

We have added players in free agency and the draft. We have players returning who either opted out or were injured. We have guys we have brought in to have a look. We have players starting their second season. And we have guys who will be fighting to either make the team or stay on the roster.

Who will be the player that we are not counting on who will have a great camp and become a factor in the season ahead?

I am really big on JOK. But, I don't consider him a surprise.

I am going to pick Takk McKinley.

He is a former first rounder. The thing with him is I believe is maturity and opportunity.

He has talent. I don't think he really applied himself with the Falcons. When he showed up in Berea. He was all business. Like an ugly make-over. He went from being surly and above it all to humbled.

I think he sees that this is now all in his court to make the most of a good opportunity.

He will get chances. Clowney will be the main guy opposite Myles. But Takk will be the next off the bench for both right and left DE. Plus in third and long they can move Clowney inside and go all in on the rush with three DE's.

I was impressed by the way he has handled himself since coming here.

If he balls out. He could get a long term deal. Security is a huge motivator.

There are plenty of guys to choose from. We have lots of guys who could be camp stories.

Legend
Legend
McKinley is a decent pick to be an impact player. I also have a feeling that Phillips is going to be much improved. He’s got great speed and seemed to get better last year after injury.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Both Phillips and Elliott will get good looks.

So that is also a good pick. We have alot who could surprise.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, Elliott as well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Malik McDowell.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Schwartz

Legend
OP Online
Legend

He has an interesting story so sure I am curious about him.

Hammer #1866855 06/07/21 01:15 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Two things that were consistent in how Schwartz has been described was speed and intelligence.

That can a long way.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Kiondre Thomas Cb Kansas State,

Curtis Weaver DE, Miami dolphins

Brian Allen, CB, out of obscurity

Robert Jackson Cb, out of improving on the 2020 season

Sheldrick Redwine, S, out of

Damion Square, Dt, out of the Chargers

Tre Harbison Rb, UDFA from Charlotte, I think will look good as a pure runner.

Connor Davis, TE, With the most to prove, I wouldn't be surprised if he overachieves.

Emmanuel Rugumba, Cb I wouldn't be surprised if he came out of nowhere.

Derrick Willies, WR, I wouldn't be surprised if his former chemistry with Baker from prior pre-seasons didn't re-kindle and he looks special again.

Romeo McKnight, DE I don't know about a guy from 1 double A, but whenever he plays 10 snaps, if he's in the Qb's face 6 times, who knows how that may go.

Elijah Lee, Linebacker?
Elijah Benton, Safety? (Guys named Elijah?, ya never know?)

D'Ernest Johnson, Can you imagine, if he improved on last year, what that would look like, can you imagine if we came out of Camp saying D'Ernest Johnson looks like he's playing so well, he may need to take some time from one of the top 2 Hunt or Chubb, and it's not that Hunt or Chubb fell off in any way;
Oh man that would be a surprise, what would that look like, ( 5 or 6 breakaway 80 yard runs for Td's in pre-season? Whoa that would be a surprise.

Camp Surprise?
Cody Parkey makes all of his kicks between 30-39 yards.

Browns have a kicking competition.

Marvin Wilson DT, UDFA jumps ahead of Andrew Billings on the depth chart?

Malick Jackson as an Edge Rusher, ... Malick Jackson as the #1 D-Line presence out of everyone not named Myles Garrett.

Malick McDowell as making the team and being a front 4 situational starter.

Tommy Togiai, being overlooked?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I didn't think that McKnight had played 10 NFL snaps in his career.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hope Njoku is a pleasant camp surprise

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
T
Legend
Legend
T
McKnight is a rookie UDFA out of, somewhere, a 1 double A school I think, I'm referring to his college snaps, and surely he didn't get a sack 6 out of 10 plays, it just seems like he did,

And that! could be fun to watch!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I'm just going to take a contrarian approach on this and select players basically because no one is talking about them.

Redwine, if the Secondary overall is improved as I expect then maybe we will see what Redwine can be, I hope for the best.

Andy Janovich, the Fullback was unspectacular last season. In Minnesota Stefanski got a lot from this position and I at least, expected more than we saw from Andy last year.

Damion Square: he just seems solid and reliable. Who knows?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Porter Gustin seems to be the forgotten man on the DL. He had some nice moments last season and was able to stay healthy. I could see him having a nice year as he actually got to focus on getting better this offseason rather than trying to get back.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Another guy who could add to the Browns is Drew Forbes.

No he will not start. But he could be a front line replacement on the depth chart.

Forbes opted out last year.

He is 6'5" and 308. He is only 24.

He has played guard but may be able to handle tackle.

Before last year he was injured but the Browns liked his potential.

Callahan has been a huge part of the success the Browns have had. He maybe able to really get a lot from Forbes.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I guess in the end, we could name all the 2nd year players and get one of them right.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
For me, I'm looking at which of the depth guys are going to take/fill Hubbard's spot of 1st substitute and 6th lineman on KS's heavy formations. It's an overlooked but important position on our team.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
At this time last year, it was Forbes that everyone was looking to fill that Right Guard vacancy. That is now completely owned by Wyatt Teller, who wasn't even realistically in the conversation this time last year, but Forbes definitely has an opportunity to create a role for himself.

Originally Posted By: oobernoober
For me, I'm looking at which of the depth guys are going to take/fill Hubbard's spot of 1st substitute and 6th lineman on KS's heavy formations. It's an overlooked but important position on our team.

This is a VERY important role... and other than Hubbard, I don't even really know who is going to be in this battle. Hopefully this is one the beat writers keep an eye on. The other five spots are pretty well locked in unless a young guy can unseat Bitonio or Tretter, but I don't expect to see that, at all.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
j/c

I also look forward to seeing Michael Dunn. In a short sample size he was pretty good

Legend
OP Online
Legend

That is why I mentioned Forbes.

Hubbard will be challenged.

Legend
Legend
Is Hubbard even going to be ready? He tore ligaments in his knee, and his kneecap was dislocated. That has to be a long term recovery, and he was injured late in December.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I could see him being ready by August, or very close to it.

Either way, he has an uphill battle and our swing tackle will almost certainly be someone new this season. I'd expect that he may be an injury settlement and release.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
That would be my guess, too. He may not be back with us

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
J/C

Andy Janovich, the Fullback was unspectacular last season. In Minnesota Stefanski got a lot from this position and I at least, expected more than we saw from Andy last year.

I agree and hope to see a somewhat increased role for him this year. I like the guy. Maybe the second year in this offense will allow for a little bit of that. But, it could be the way we're going to use TEs will affect that.

AZBrown #1867104 06/09/21 02:18 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
J/C

I agree and hope to see a somewhat increased role for him this year. I like the guy. Maybe the second year in this offense will allow for a little bit of that. But, it could be the way we're going to use TEs will affect that.

I think a good chunk of this is no fault of Janovich or Stefanski, really, but more just a factor of seeing how this offense - with these players - runs best. Is it best with Janovich lead blocking, or do our RB's do best in sets with TEs to give the constant threat of a pass to the TE? The answer may literally vary from week to week depending on who we are playing and what personnel we expect them to line up with.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
Another less organized teams roster had 6 quarterbacks on it.(Jax)

The Browns, have built a roster of 90 with pretty much could be divided into two parts, that could win 7 games a piece.
I did,

Tell me which group would win more games independently and which one has the biggest position weakness.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I will go with DPJ. I like what I saw last year and receivers can take a little time to put it together.

T
Legend
Legend
T
So I split the Roster in two, first thing was to opposite side Baker and Myles because things like this simply must be done top to bottom to ensure equal strength to the two sides.

left side
Click to reveal..
Baker Mayfield.

Wr. Odell Beckham Jr
WR. Donovan Peoples Jones
Wr. Anthony Schwartz
Wr.4 Demetric Felton rb/wr (kr)

Rb. Kareem Hunt,
Rb. Tre Harbison,
Fb. Andy Janovich

Te. David Njokku
Te. Harrison Bryant
Te. 3. Connor Davis.

K. Cody Parkey
, Long Snapper on this Side Hughlett because this is Bakers side, not Myles side, ( Myles side can punt and play defense.
One key benefit of this left side offense imo, is having both

Wr. Jamarcus Bradley
Wr. Ryan Switzer as longer term Wrs because Schwartz may struggle and Felton may be needed as a RB.

3rd String Qb Kyle Lauletta on this side as 90th selection and even thought on this is, He should be opposite Landry because as Emergency QB's Landry or Odell, Landry was 2 for 2 in 2020 and Odell only 1 for 1, iirc.

The Right side.
Click to reveal..

Case Keenum
Wr. Jarvis Landry
Wr. Rashard Higgins
Wr. Khaderal Hodge
Wr.4 Derrick Willies
WR. JoJo Natson, one of the key benefits of right side is getting JoJo Natson for Kr, and speed and surely opposite sideed of the other guy.

Rb. Nick Chubb
Rb. D'Ernest Johnson
FB. Johnny Staunton

TE. Austin Hooper
TE. Stephen Carlson
TE. Jordan Franks

Punter Scottish Hammer, Jammie Gillam is on the right side, same side as Myles Garrett for more defensive scoring.

Final 2, Wr. Andre Hollins
Rb. John Kelley

The left side O-Line + Left side Front 7/5 DL.
Click to reveal..
Some Guessin on the OL, in players past starters everythings a guess, but I tried to set this up to limit weaknesses, Took a while to get all the way down, and moved a couple last second.

OTs. Jedrick Wills
OT Chris Hubbard
OG Wyatt Teller
OG Drew Forbes
OC Nick Harris
OL6. OT Alex Taylor
OL. Cordell Iwuagwu
OG. Blake Hance

Defensive Line, Starting with DE, and 1st thing is this is the side sans Myles so, #1 was Malik Jackson at Nose, to offset the biggest DL strengths, but putting McDowell at DE on potential Pass rush, and Clowney on this side for obvious big name opisiting.

DE Malik McDowell
DE Jadeveon Clowney
DE Curtis Weaver
DT Malik Jackson
DT Damion Square
DT Tommy Togiai then came back later and added, this is one of only 2 differences in the two sides as this is 2 DEs, vs a DT and a DE opposite.
DE Cameron Malveaux
DE Romeo McKnight

The Right Side OL plus Right side front 7/5 DL
Click to reveal..
Again beyond starters what can be anything but a guess.
OT Jack Conklin
OT James Hudson
OG Joel Bittonio
OC JC Trettor
(Interject, Bittonio and Tretter and Conklin kept together for the stronger OL, "with Chubb" for a reason, on Case Keenums' side to offset offensive strengths, Likewise in the thinking of the other side keeping Baker, Odell, and Parkey on Hunt's side.)
OG Micheal Dunn
OL6, OG Colby Gossett
OL OC Javon Patterson
OT Greg Senat

Defensive Line, Front Line (After Myles Garrett causes me to move M.Jackson to the other, I shored up the inside with the next two choices of Billings and Marvin Wilson (on potential and versatility) but admittedly more worried about run strength I decided JOK, and Sheldon Day, (Joe Jackson) would have to go this side as I had more faith in the opisite sides middle run stoppage from Malik Jackson and Damion Square)

DE Myles Garrett
DE Takk McKinley
DE Porter Gustin
DT Andrew Billings
DT Marvin Wilson
DT Jordan Elliott

DT Sheldon Day
DE Joe Jackson

The Left Sides Linebackers and Secondary
Click to reveal..
After deciding that Run Support would cause me to want JOK on the opposite side, and previously deciding to split up JOK and G. Delpit, I was sure Delpit would end up on this left side.

Another previous thought, the back 4 safeties, would be Veteran, + New Face, opposite the same. So obviously my first thought was Linebacker #1. (And insert, split the two green dot helmet wearing defenders)

Lb Anthony Walker
LB Sione Taki Taki
LB(coverage type) Tony Fields II, (assured to be kept opposite JOK as splitting similar roles)
Lb Elijah Lee

CB Denzel Ward, (immediately thinking I should keep Greedy and Newsome together opposite Denzel just to be sure)
CB Robert Jackson (It's a guess between him and Brian Allen honestly, He won out, as choice 3 on the last look at Allens age over years.
CB Slot, Troy Hill, obviously after keeping Greedy and Newsome together, Hill would go in the slot on the side with Denzel.
Cb Kiondre Thomas, He's got the better 40 time of the two UDFA corners
CB AJ Green, (have him opposite Benton

FS Grant Delpit
FS Ronnie Harrison
FS Sheldrick Redwine

LB Montrel Meander built like a safety.

The right Side Linebackers and Secodary
Click to reveal..

Lb Jacob Phillips (opposite Walker
LB Mack Wilson experienced side
Lb(coverage type) Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah
LB Malcolm Smith, he's also a coverage type and run type

Cb Greedy Williams
CB Greg Newsome ( It was important to keep those two together opposite Denzel Ward to keep the left and right side even)
Slot CB MJ Stewart, (chosen to offset Robert Jackson and Troy Hill as the next slot best corner)
Cb Brian Allen, ( A narrow guess in contest with Robert Jackson
Cb Emmanuel Rugumba, The UDFA without the faster 40 time, but he did play at Mia.(Oh)

(Here I previously decided to split the vet back 2 safeties and new face back 2 safeties, and Having the other green dot helmet, Walker on the left side meant JJ3 would be on the right side to keep even strengths.

FS. John Johnson III
FS. Richard Lecounte, (When he's ready I think he will be a roamer
FS. Elijah Benton

FS. Javonte Moffatt

Browns Roster, split into two, both sides pretty equal, and could win 7 Games imo, No real train wreck positions I think.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

That is why I mentioned Forbes.

Hubbard will be challenged.

He will be, but as a team who can win this year, I think we will keep Hubbard and not trust a rookie or unproven guy in that role.

For that reason I could see us keeping at least 1 more offensive line player on the final roster then might be expected.

I know I have picked on fullbacks over the years, so I might as well be consistent here; I would rather keep Hubbard AND whoever else it might be we might decide to fill the role over Janovich.

Janovich probably isn't going to win you any games or lose you any games. Not keeping Hubbard or whoever else might not win you any games, but it COULD lose you games.

I don't care what coach says about liking a fullback, but a fullback doesn't have much impact on our O. The O line does.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 06/10/21 06:59 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Online
Legend

That is a good one.

Often the biggest leap for player development comes between the first and second year.

DPJ was impressive last year. Late round pick with size and speed.

By all reports he is a smart hard worker. He has a chance to take over the three slot. If he balls out this year he could move up the depth chart next year as well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lots of good stuff happening. Lots of new talent/returning talent to keep our eyes on, but I'm going with Delpit. Sounds like his rehab has been going well, and seems to be on track for a full return during camp. Excited to see him out there. Our secondary could be elite.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1867192 06/10/21 09:26 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Like JOK many had Delpit as a first round talent.

He was a highly regarded college player.

An Achillies injury is a major injury. How players have recovered is mixed.

Hopefully he comes back as the player he was before the injury.

If so. He will be a big part of the team going forward.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Early reports have him moving well, running fast, and cutting without issue. Hoping that means he's well on the road to 100%.

(JOK is my X-factor pick on D)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1867197 06/10/21 10:21 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
With the nature of his injury, I'm going to treat any contribution from Delpit as gravy. He'd be the exception to a pretty well-established rule (regarding how long it takes to come back from an Achilles rupture), and so any sort of expectation on him at this point is overdoing it, IMO.

edit: wrong thread, moving to X-factor thread

Last edited by oobernoober; 06/10/21 10:22 AM. Reason: mixing up threads

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
Would any of these be a surprise?

Jordan Elliott does not make the roster.

The Browns place 2 young players with slight injuries on IR at seasons start.

3. There is a Receiver that will suit up game 1 against the Chiefs that is not yet on the Browns roster.

Not really in my opinion,
Only about as surprising as if the Browns would decide to trade up a short amount in a draft round to get ahead of some rivals for a player that is falling,
and also as surprising as the Browns would chose to trade down in a draft round to acquire a mid round pick the following year.

I think the surprising thing would be if everyone on Opening Day against KC is already on the team.

(Predictability will be the downfall, eventually, of the competitiveness of the analytics.)

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

IMO, not a chance.

Tackles are tackles.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

IMO, not a chance.

He really brings so little to the table imo but I've been blind before.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

IMO, not a chance.

He really brings so little to the table imo but I've been blind before.

I suppose the only chance (walking back my "not a chance" comment) is if he gets a significant injury and the Browns waive him with an injury designation. If healthy, I think he makes the squad easily.

Tackles are tackles.
T
Legend
Legend
T
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/..._16748_35122817

Three Surprising roster cuts the Browns could make in 2021.

1. Mack Wilson notallthere
2. D'Ernest Johnson notallthere
3. Rashard Higgins notallthere

also mentions the shake out of Curtis Weaver vs. Porter Gustin vs. Joe Jackson
also mentions the battle of JoJo Natson and Jamarcus Bradley vs. Anthony Schwartz and Demetric Felton.

Key article point. Khaderal Hodge is (allegedly) better at contested catches than Rashard,, Hollywood Higgins?
Ahem!
What the heck are they watching!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Well I can see fans losing it if they cut Higgins. He's become a fan favorite the last few years because he has shown up on game day a handful of times. It will be similar to trading Duke.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/11/21 12:47 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Camp surprise.

Link Copied to Clipboard