Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend

Greedy has the legs and feet.

That was not damaged and that is the meat of the corner position.

Greedy is a worker.

So, I am not worried about corner. Berry will make good decisions.

Legend
Legend
It's pretty much a non-story.

"That's not to say a deal potentially won't get done down the line, especially with the Ohio State product still having two years remaining his rookie deal. Rather it appears -- like Mayfield -- the Browns won't be signing Ward to a long-term extension prior to their Sept. 12 season opener against the Kansas City Chiefs."

Also, it completely lacks context: is it a longshot because of his demands or the team's? Basically, it's hack reporting that actually reports nothing.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It was a very misleading headline. It was a longshot to be done this offseason, essentially. He still has this year and next.

Just media inspiring more faith...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
In general, I agree with you... but wasn't the story (before today) that they were starting talks on an extension? Going from 'working on it' to 'it's not going to get done right now' could potentially be a story. Could easily be nothing more than stupid pot-stirring, but we've seen much worse.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Firts of all, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I'm not interested in getting in a pissing contest here.

But a general observation... opinions and peceptions swing wildly on this board. 6 to 9 months ago a widely held position was that Greedy was possibly done. There was also the opinion that during the time he was healthy he hadn't shown much.
Now he's considered viable alternative to DW? All without taking one regular season snap.

Alrighty then!

Legend
Legend
we went from "getting started on it" to a "reporter" crafting a vague article with a misleading headline that centers entirely around "it won't be done before Sept. 12th.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Firts of all, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I'm not interested in getting in a pissing contest here.

But a general observation... opinions and peceptions swing wildly on this board. 6 to 9 months ago a widely held position was that Greedy was possibly done. There was also the opinion that during the time he was healthy he hadn't shown much.
Now he's considered viable alternative to DW? All without taking one regular season snap.

Alrighty then!

Greedy definitely is not a worthy replacement for Ward. At least, he has not shown himself to be on the field, yet.

Hell, I don't think he's shown himself to outplay the guys we had last year, like Mitchell. He has a way to go before he is considered anything at all.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Now make sure the starting OL is playing to keep Baker clean.

Legend
Legend

I am sure no more than two series.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Now make sure the starting OL is playing to keep Baker clean.

This.

Also does that mean, Jarvis, Chubb, and Hunt will play?

Legend
Legend
Not necessarily.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Personally I'd be happy with D'Ernest and Demetrious playing with the first o-line except for Tretter, who I understand is a little dinged up. Play DPJ and Jarvis at WR with Higgy and Davis mixed in at WR. But don't keep Bake in for more than a couple of series.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Ability isn't the question. It's more about availability.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I remain unconvinced for the reasons I've already stated.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: guard dawg

Alrighty then!

Greedy definitely is not a worthy replacement for Ward. At least, he has not shown himself to be on the field, yet.

Hell, I don't think he's shown himself to outplay the guys we had last year, like Mitchell. He has a way to go before he is considered anything at all.

When Greedy played as a rookie, he showed promise. He wasn't a pro bowl player, but you could see the skills were present. Now because of his injury keeping him out, people act as if he sucked. My point is Newsome is a rookie. He will show promise just as Greedy did. He will get beat just as Greedy did. My question is, will he be held to the same standard as Greedy? Injuries happen. What if Newsome gets hurt? Will that mean he sucks too?

Just saying. Greedy was a top prospect just like Newsome. But since he got injured and has not been able to develop quickly, many are throwing him out with the bath water. I think this is a mistake.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I actually think your assessment of Greedy is fair. I think its far from settled about the type of player he can become. That wasn't my argument. My point is you can apply the same evaluation you give for Greed to Ward. He's been injured and fans are suggesting that an unfinished product in Greedy is an alternative to Denzel. At this point, I can't agree with that.

Legend
Legend
Greedy did show some promise, to be fair, but he also had some big struggles, and in the end, he was NOT on Ward's level and when I say that, I'm referring to Ward in his rookie year.

Thus far, Greedy is simply not on Ward's level, and the last time Greedy was on the field - as I said above - he wasn't even at the level of the guys that filled in for him when he was injured.

I am not saying he sucked, and I am not bagging on him for being injured; I'm speaking to his level of play and specifically as compared to Ward. He is NOT currently a replacement for Ward.

Newsome absolutely will be held to the same standard. This is because, on this team, Ward IS the standard.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I agree with this. Greedy wasn’t good when he was on the field as a rookie. He was pretty “meh” and then was injured obviously. When people group him in with the core of our team, I kind of dismiss that notion

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I agree with this. Greedy wasn’t good when he was on the field as a rookie. He was pretty “meh” and then was injured obviously. When people group him in with the core of our team, I kind of dismiss that notion

I don't, but my core might run deeper than the starting core.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
IMO right now Greedy is a capable back-up CB on the team. He has trouble staying on the field and when he did play he was fair. He still does have potential to be good but he has to stay healthy so he can play and learn. He needs the reps.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree that Greedy isn't a core player when you start talking about guys like Myles or Baker. I just think you have a 2nd group, and I'd still put a guy like Greedy in that group.

No doubt with some of those 2nd guys you are banking on a degree of potential.

All of your starters aren't core players. Some are who they are, so you have a smaller group of secondary guys I consider core.

But if we are just going with a strict definition, then sure, Greedy isn't a core player.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Yes, I’d say it depends how you describe “core” … I’d refer to it as cornerstones of the team: Baker, Myles, Chubb, Bitonio, Teller, Landry, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
At the end of the day Greedy isn't all that good if he can't stay available.

Purp said it he wasn't as good as Mitchel, my eyes didn't lie and he had way to many critical penalties at key moments. I thought he was average at best. That doesn't mean I had lost hope for him, it IMO means he has a lot of work to do needs to elevate his play as well as be available.

He doesn't compare to Ward but very few do. Ward is a monster when he is availability.

On a side note I believe the Browns will for sure keep 6 Corners.

I tend to look at the overall groups and as a group they are really good IMO, the problem is availability. That means at least 6 in my mind. If I were AB I keep every single corner that has shown they can play. The saying that you can't have to many corners is true in my book. I also think in a pinch you can move a corner to safety so if I am thin on the backend it will be at safety. In a pinch we could also slide JOK into that roll.

Everything in formulating a roster has to sort of flow together with the worse case being covered. In the end you always end up with some level of exposure if the injury bug bites. With Greedy and Ward you have to have reliable backups.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
At the end of the day Greedy isn't all that good if he can't stay available.

When put that way I agree and could bunch Ward in to that grouping, but Ward is extra good when available.

With Greedy, wasn't it pretty much 1 injury that knocked him out?

I might classify that somewhat differently over a player who is always tweeking something or has concussion issues.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

For what it's worth this is my take on Greedy.

Coming out of college Greedy was a man corner with 4.37 speed.

He has great feet and is long. His knock was tackling and his light frame.

Wilks favored zone. Greedy never got it going and then got injured.

In order for Greedy to reach his true potential. He needs to play.

Newsome is more physical with full versitility to play any scheme. Most likely he will start.

Greedy will play. And I think is perfect as a third corner backing both Ward and Newsome.

Ward has missed games. So did Newsome in college. Corner depth is almost as important as the starters.

The secondary last year had little depth and it cost us big time.

I am glad Greedy made it back and I think he will help the team.

P
Legend
Legend
P
My take on Greedy is pretty much middle of the road. Rookie CB's usually all take their lumps until they have ample playing time. I don't think Greedy ever really had that. As has been mentioned he has the size, speed and skill set, but many players drafted possess that and it's never reached at the next level. So "potential alone" is pretty meaningless.

For me to try and guesstimate Greedy's value I would have to see him get enough playing time to hone his skills at the NFL level before saying he is or isn't a core player. His future on the injury front may be a bigger influence on his career than any potential we saw before he was drafted.

Time will tell. The jury is still out.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
After playoff run, talented Browns looking to do more in ’21
By TOM WITHERS

https://apnews.com/article/sports-nfl-ka...a8fff1d9867c564

CLEVELAND (AP) — In just one season, coach Kevin Stefanski transformed the Browns from overhyped underachievers into championship contenders.

The next step will be tougher.

Passed over during Cleveland’s search in 2019, Stefanski gave the Browns a second chance to hire him and, well, the rest is history.

Working in harmony with general manager Andrew Berry, who returned to the organization in 2020, Stefanski guided a team with several of the league’s rising stars through an unprecedented season of obstacles and to the Browns’ first playoff win since 1989.

He has brought the Browns sanity and stability, two things in short supply in Cleveland for much of the past two decades.

Also along the way, the 39-year-old coach formed a strong bond with quarterback Baker Mayfield, who has grown into a leader while quieting the doubters who wondered about his long-term viability.

With a franchise QB, coach and front office, the Browns are legitimate at last, and the Super Bowl talk is warranted.

Cleveland’s rise, however, has also spawned huge expectations for a team that collapsed under the weight of preseason hype two years ago.

But Mayfield, who took off following the bye week last season by throwing 14 TD passes and just two interceptions in his last 10 games, believes those tough lessons of the past will serve the Browns well when adversity arises in 2021.

“Because we’ve been punched in the mouth quite a bit, I think our guys will know how to handle that,” he said. “It has to be reiterated every time, we still have to go out there and play with complete confidence and know it’s just not going to happen. It’s a tricky line to walk.”

Mayfield has a plethora of playmakers, led by unassuming star running back Nick Chubb (1,067 yards and 12 TDs in 12 games in 2020) and his backup/sidekick Kareem Hunt (841 yards, 6 TDs).

The Chubb-Hunt 1-2 punch is unlike any in the league and it serves as Stefanski’s bread and butter to set up play-action passes for Mayfield.

Cleveland’s defense has undergone a front-to-back remodeling with the additions of edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney, veteran linebacker Anthony Walker Jr., safety John Johnson III and rookie cornerback Greg Newsome II solidifying some troublesome areas.

The Browns showed they belonged among the AFC’s elite last season by going on the road to beat Pittsburgh in the wild-card round — ending a 17-game losing streak at Heinz Field — before losing 22-17 to two-time defending conference champion Kansas City in a game Cleveland let slip away.

This time, they intend to finish the job.

“We’re a very unsatisfied team,” said tight end Austin Hooper.

GREAT GARRETT

One of All-Pro defensive end Myles Garrett’s personal goals is NFL Defensive Player of the Year. He was on track to maybe winning the award last season when he contracted COVID-19.

The virus flattened the 6-foot-4, 275-pound specimen, who required breathing treatments over the final weeks. After getting 9 1/2 sacks in his first nine games, Garrett only recorded 2 1/2 over his last seven.

As long as he stays healthy, Clowney should help Garrett. Clowney can play opposite Garrett or slide inside and next to him, creating a pick-your-poison matchup issue for offenses to scheme against.

OBJ IS A-OK

Turns out speedy wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. is also a lightning-fast healer.

Beckham returned quicker than expected from a season-ending knee injury, and will likely be on the field in Week 1 against the Chiefs. Beckham missed out on Cleveland’s playoff run a year ago, and because he is who he is, there’s been endless speculation about his future with the Browns.

It’s undeniable that he gives Stefanski — and Mayfield — a weapon capable of stretching any defense. What remains to be seen is whether he can handle a supporting role on a team loaded with playmakers.

NORTHERN EXPOSURE

The Browns have never won the AFC North. This could be their year.

They ended their playoff drought dating to the 2002 season last year and won a playoff game for the first time since 1994. Next up is their first division title since 1989, when they played in the AFC Central along with the Houston Oilers.

“That’s the easiest way to get in the playoffs, win your division,” said left guard Joel Bitonio, who was on Cleveland teams that went 4-44 from 2015-17. “That’s always a goal.”

SECONDARY ISSUES

Cleveland’s defensive backfield remains in flux.

Season-ending injuries to safety Grant Delpit (Achilles tendon) and cornerback Greedy Williams (shoulder nerve) in 2020 had a troubling trickle-down effect as the Browns were constantly moving players around.

Delpit and Williams have again been slowed by injuries this summer, and cornerback Denzel Ward and safety Ronnie Harrison missed time.

Nickel back Troy Hill, who played with Johnson in Los Angeles, gives the Browns some insurance, but the group’s overall health could give Stefanski and Berry some sleepless nights.

YOU, AGAIN?

The Browns will start 2021 in the same place 2020 ended: Arrowhead Stadium. The league’s schedule makers matched up the Browns and Chiefs in Week 1.

“Hell, yeah,” Browns wide receiver Rashard Higgins said when asked if that was a good thing.

It was Higgins’ costly fumble at the goal line that proved to be pivotal in Kansas City’s comeback win.

The Browns want payback.

“It’s a vindictive vibe,” Johnson said. “We definitely want to get back at those guys.”

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Browns, Dolphins, and the Masters of Addition by Subtraction

Cleveland Browns retain defensive linemen Malik McDowell and Takkarist McKinley

McDowell looked like the Tasmanian Devil when he was Michigan State's defensive tackle but fell to the second round of the draft in 2017 due to character concerns. His Seahawks career was promptly derailed by a series of alcohol-related arrests, plus injuries. Takkarist McKinley was a fierce pass-rusher at UCLA and scouting combine rock star who flashed potential in his first two years with the Falcons, then became a disgruntled vagabond who flunked multiple physicals last year. McDowell flashed moments of dominance in preseason action. McKinley missed much of August with personal issues.

The Browns have long taken chances with troubled players such as Josh Gordon and Kareem Hunt. It became fashionable in analytics circles to blame John Dorsey for the character-risk acquisitions (among other things), but McDowell and McKinley arrived during the current Andrew Barry administration. So is this a case of praising some moves that might work because we like the guys who made them? To oversimplify, is it "good analytics" or "bad analytics" to invest a one-year contract on a high-volatility veteran?

Think of it this way: suppose two individuals spend $20 on lottery tickets. The first individual is struggling to make rent. The other is just taking money from their discretionary entertainment budget. Are both individuals incurring the same risk? Of course not. The person who is barely paying the bills cannot afford to chase low-probability jackpots, so playing the lottery is a foolish decision. For the well-off individual, playing the lottery might be a better choice than, say, spending that $20 on beer, because it at least comes with the tiny chance of a huge payday (and the fun of anticipating the drawing, and no hangover.)

Keeping McDowell and McKinley isn't brilliant because the moves might work, but because they cannot hurt the Browns if they fail. If McDowell and McKinley flame out tomorrow, the Browns roll into 2021 with Myles Garrett, Malik Jackson, and Jadeveon Clowney anchoring their defensive line. They'll be more than fine. But if McDowell and/or McKinley stay the course and regain even a portion of their 2017 potential, the Browns could field the best defensive line in football.

Once a team cracks the wild-card wall, it must be willing to take greater risks to climb into Super Bowl contention. Teams that don't take those risks end up hovering in seven- to 10-win purgatory for eternity. Yep, that's a transition, and you can guess who's next.

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The objective is to field the best team possible and to that end you leave no stone unturned as salary issues begin to show up you look for other ways to get the same thing done.

This is actually a better avenue then FA it costs way less and if you hit on one or 2 of these guys you have a championship caliber player at a bargain bin price.

The Browns also have a culture set in stone overstep the line and bye bye. But players who come here are introduced to the discipline that comes with a team built to win championships. We win and the player wins. A very small investment that carries few risks and huge rewards makes a great deal of sense.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I wonder what really goes into the decision making with a Kicker tryout.
I mean, we had a neck-n-neck competition for like 10 weeks with two kickers, but there's an outside chance one of these guys shows enough in a single morning to take the job? How does that work?

I mean, unless the guy is drilling everything right down the middle from 60 yards with every crosswind imaginable, how do you decide this??

I have to believe that it's absolutely McLaughlin is our Kicker and this is just building a call sheet in the event he is injured or is so bad we HAVE to get rid of him without thinking twice about it.

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 09/02/21 02:35 PM.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
That I've heard of none is probably a good thing. Names I would recognize are probably guys who have been released...table scraps.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
YT, I think it lies in the fact that every year, dozens of college kickers start competing for the handful of NFL kicker jobs available, joining an already full pattern. There will always be diamonds in the rough, just have to find them. My guess is these guys were on AB's radar and we're seeing if he can find another gem.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Legend
Legend
C
Last year we carried a kicker on our practice squad the entire year.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Maybe we are picking a kicker to add to the practice squad so that in the event of sudden illness we have a guy who has practiced kicking in the stadium.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
Maybe we are picking a kicker to add to the practice squad so that in the event of sudden illness we have a guy who has practiced kicking in the stadium.

I think that is exactly it. Plus, if McGl ... our current kicker struggles, you have a new guy to plug in.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
F
Legend
Legend
F
I think it was Charlie Wiess on Sirius NFL was saying, you have to put pressure on a kicker in practice.

You can't simulate gameday late 4th quarter on the practice field, but what you can do is when he misses, make the entire team run laps except the snapper holder and kicker, and make them watch their teammates run until they make 3 in a row from 40 yards out.

No pressure like knowing your entire team is hating you right now and you have to make kicks.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I wonder what really goes into the decision making with a Kicker tryout.
I mean, we had a neck-n-neck competition for like 10 weeks with two kickers, but there's an outside chance one of these guys shows enough in a single morning to take the job? How does that work?

I mean, unless the guy is drilling everything right down the middle from 60 yards with every crosswind imaginable, how do you decide this??

I have to believe that it's absolutely McLaughlin is our Kicker and this is just building a call sheet in the event he is injured or is so bad we HAVE to get rid of him without thinking twice about it.

I agree, what good is it going to do now?

Were all of these guys cuts from other teams? Our kicker experts around here should know if these guys are any good.

I can hear the conversation now...Well Chase, you missed a extra point and this guy had a nice workout this morning, so we are going to release you....LOL

Now, it they are looking for a guy to put on the practice squad, fine by me.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes (Continued)

Link Copied to Clipboard