Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
T
Legend
Legend
T
Some don't care about the Browns roster moves, I DO!
That day was a bad day for the Browns roster moves, unpopular opinion or not.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Just how many times did your parents spike you on your head on a cement floor?

The over/under is 5. I'll take the over.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Didn't Lee make it back to the practice squad? So we didn't lose him.

Davion Davis was the preseason darling, but the WR room being what it is means we didn't have room for him.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Yeah Lee will most likely be back and forth all year IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Name which WR on our roster that Davis is better than.

Also, name which LB we should have cut to keep Lee, who we didn't even lose.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: cle23

Name which WR on our roster that Davis is better than.

Also, name which LB we should have cut to keep Lee, who we didn't even lose.

Spot on! thumbsup

I like Lee and Davis.

Davis won't displace any WR on the 53.

I like Lee better than M Wilson...BUT...I don't think Wilson would make it back to our PS. Not because he's 'so good' or 'better'...just a recognizable name and a former 'surprise fall' draft pick.

It's a good problem to have...one I can't recollect ever having...at least STR.

Legend
Legend
In years past, our GM's would continually churn the bottom of our 53 and names would just come and go. They'd barely be worth noting.

Today, every last name on the 53 contributes and is valuable. It's a strange place to be, and definitely more than a little weird to be so worried about perhaps losing Player 53, lol

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

A message many need to consider.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the bottom-roster churn is still going to happen, but to a much less degree. The FO still needs to find guys (ex. Lee) that can jump in when needed. That is a never-ending task.

I think before, the churn was also to possibly find guys that could displace starters.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I think the bottom-roster churn is still going to happen, but to a much less degree. The FO still needs to find guys (ex. Lee) that can jump in when needed. That is a never-ending task.

I think before, the churn was also to possibly find guys that could displace starters.

To add to your and Purp's comments:

We even have guys on the PRACTICE SQUAD that could be called up on Sundays and actually be active.

Twilight Zone Browns-style...but in a good way...finally.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I see the Texans have signed Davion Davies off our practice squad. Sorry if this has already been noted.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Just a question: Earlier in the season we talked about how teams can protect a few practice squad players.

Just how does that work?

I am not saying Davies should have, or have not been a protected player, receiver is a fairly well stocked position and the waiver wires are usually full of decent enough receivers to replace Davies.

Just wondering how that works and when, if ever we might invoke that option?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
The NFL also added a new wrinkle to the practice squad that provides teams with some limited protections for keeping practice squad players. Teams can designate four players every week that are protected from being signed by other teams. This protection starts on Tuesday each week, so every practice squad player is still available to be signed to the regular roster of another team after their team’s game that week until the deadline on Tuesday.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/8/31/2264...salary-and-more

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
So, Davies was nabbed in between. Also, I have little doubt that his agent gave us a heads up to give us an opportunity to sign him, but there just isn't room on the 53 for him right now, so we lose him.

We have more good players than roster spots.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Hard to believe how good we seem to be drafting now. Wow.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Hard to believe how good we seem to be drafting now. Wow.

Mostly. I am not totally sold our evaluation of linemen on either side of the ball are the best. That is college scouting. We seem to do will with the free agent veteran type players.

It's still early so my comments aren't in stone by any means.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think we hit our eval of Wills out of the park, and were going against some engrained philosophies when we did it.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think we hit our eval of Wills out of the park, and were going against some engrained philosophies when we did it.

Ok...a first rounder, and I don't know if it is out of the park or not. I am not going to even try to compare Wills to Thomas. That said, I would be surprised if Wills is select to 2-3 pro-bowls.

To me Wills is a solid player, and I am good with that, but I don't think he is a top of the league LT.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
While I do agree with you, Joe Thomas was a generational player at the LT position. So IMO you could say almost the same thing about nearly every LT drafted since Thomas.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Ok...a first rounder, and I don't know if it is out of the park or not. I am not going to even try to compare Wills to Thomas. That said, I would be surprised if Wills is select to 2-3 pro-bowls.

To me Wills is a solid player, and I am good with that, but I don't think he is a top of the league LT.

Do you mean Joe Thomas or Andrew Thomas (the "NFL-ready" tackle in Wills' class)? Comparing to the latter makes WAY more sense than the former. IIRC, early returns has our Wills as best of his class. But more on topic was our eval pegging him as a legit LT despite all the RT vs LT discussion going on.

I'm not saying the guy is a finished product or anything, but to view a rookie (1st rounder or not) LT come in and start and play well right away as anything other than a win is not right.

-PrplPplEater
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Headline should be.
Browns let Elijah Lee get away

DAvion Davis is signed by the Texans.

The Browns sign some lousy OL from the Texans PS. Like they need another OL< they Aren't using the ones they have!! putting out a Left freaking Tackle on a bad leg that will escalate to an injury they can't ignore.

This system doesn't get real players. This system does't 'keep' real players. boo

Chris Hubbard will undergo season-ending surgery to repair his triceps injury, a league source confirmed for cleveland.com. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport first reported it.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Potentially, and situationally, any Wr. except Higgins and Landry; but nobody would agree and it's old news now.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Cleats
Headline should be.

The Browns sign some lousy OL from the Texans PS. Like they need another OL< they Aren't using the ones they have!! putting out a Left freaking Tackle on a bad leg that will escalate to an injury they can't ignore.

This system doesn't get real players. This system does't 'keep' real players. boo

Chris Hubbard will undergo season-ending surgery to repair his triceps injury, a league source confirmed for cleveland.com. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport first reported it.

Just a hunch but Hubbard might have played his last snap with the Browns.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Probably so. The long odds he was signed again just got longer.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Zac Jackson
@AkronJackson
Browns Saturday moves

LB Anthony Walker from IR to active roster, as expected
DE Joe Jackson signed to PS after being cut Thursday
Standard game elevations for Jackson and S Jovante Moffatt

https://twitter.com/AkronJackson/status/1446863238788878341

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Headline should be.

That's what everyone said last year,, yet, here he is again.

But, depending on what they find in the off season to replace him, yeah,, he could be gone

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Headline should be.

That's what everyone said last year,, yet, here he is again.

But, depending on what they find in the off season to replace him, yeah,, he could be gone

Because he took a massive pay cut( about $15M, as one of the many dumb Dorsey contracts) to remain employed by the Browns. I suppose he could take another one.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think he is well worth what he is being paid. He can fill in at either tackle positions or G. I agree that if we can find a suitable replacement at a better value we will move on. But I think we could say that about most of our roster.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yes, his contract value now is better than what it was when he first signed. The unfortunate thing is he was generally bad when he started for us, so it's not like the performance ceiling is now higher just because he makes less money.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
re: Hubbard

His biggest value apparently is the unquantifiable "team leader" price tag, which doesn't mean as much to me as it does others.

See: Jarvis Landry and his $15M/year.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah, good point. I was a disappointed when I saw he would be having surgery. He is a valuable guy to have on the team, and no doubt Callahan made him a better player.

He also seems like a good person, from articles I have read.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Lol, had to share this: Ricardo Louis is still playing pro football. He just caught a TD for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, if anyone cares. This is a good CFL game, a barn burner on the Prairies against Calgary.

Gotta give him props for hanging in.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I've felt discomfort hearing the local Cleveland media proclaim all summer long the Browns as Super Bowl caliber and with the enthusiasm that it is a given. The Browns are not even a playoff team if the wheels fall off, and with everyone else keeping pace, one of the 3-1 teams will have to miss the playoffs this year.

One of the strengths that propelled the 2020 Browns to a better record than the 2019 Browns was improvements to the O-Line as a group and 2 keys to that group were the usages of Kendall Lamm, and Chris Hubbard, in 2020 vs. previously. Subsequently, Kendall Lamm left the Browns to join the Titans, and now Chris Hubbard, though not in use yet, has become unavailable for the entire 2021 season.
I don't think, the Browns are talent level Super Bowl favorites with an offensive line that keeps taking talent level hits.
Plus, I stand by saying where Chris Hubbard goes, the good offense goes, meaning the passing game.
So losing Hubbard for a year impacting the Browns abilities in the passing game, would be a hit to the Browns success. frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Lol, had to share this: Ricardo Louis is still playing pro football. He just caught a TD for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, if anyone cares. This is a good CFL game, a barn burner on the Prairies against Calgary.

Gotta give him props for hanging in.

I like the CFL. I wish it was like days of old when ESPN aired a few CFL games a week. It's a solid, entertaining brand of football imo.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
I just want to say Baker is our quarterback, I remember the good plays he had last week, and in the Giants game, to overcome those 10 yard penalties in one snap, like usual, and we all take for Granted.
And Mayfield is our Quarterback and we all support him.

and as Leslie Neilson would say.
"I just want to say good luck! we're all counting on you."
Nothing like a 41 year old movie reference.

stay on the right side of the alligator.

Legend
Legend

Interesting that two career back-up players would determine the season for the Browns????

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet how odd it is that he would be the best, by far, replacement to take over with Wills injury.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Uh oh.

MLB News Network
@newsnetworkmlb
Paul DePodesta is seen as the lead candidate for the #Mets GM vacancy.

MLB News Network
@newsnetworkmlb
DePodesta is also seen as a candidate for the #Mets president of baseball operation opening. John Daniels is another candidate for that vacancy.

https://twitter.com/newsnetworkmlb/status/1447206747542786050

M
Legend
Legend
M
Just say no, Depo!

Tackles are tackles.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes (Continued)

Link Copied to Clipboard