Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Milk Man #1912092 12/19/21 01:24 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
The NBA is postponing the Cleveland-Atlanta game tonight, sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1472617255578087431

GratefulDawg #1912119 12/19/21 03:33 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

I read Trae Young has covid also.

So it would have sucked to go to this game.

So I'm happy to wait until they are healthy.

No Craps Given
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
If you didn’t see it the CAVS beat the Raptors by 45 last night. I know they were down quite a few players but so were the CAVS. Reading Raptors twitter stuff was kinda funny last night

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I saw that score last night, and had to check to see if we had got some of our guys back. The Raptors were down quite a few players, but the Cavs were down to only 2 starters, and they played a lot of guys most Cavs fans could not identify even with a program.

It was a real testament to the coaches that even the backups' backups played the right way.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Frenchy #1914908 12/27/21 06:52 PM
Legend
Legend
That was fun to watch! We rained some three-pointers, hustled, played some D, and the BIG guy (Hall?) was fun fun to watch. Is he seven feet plus not sure how much extra. Crowd went wild as he managed to do more than I thought he might. I wanna see more. Go, Cavaliers!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really wish Sexton was playing along with this exciting fun team !

DeisleDawg #1914989 12/28/21 01:23 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

DeisleDawg #1914994 12/28/21 01:30 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
I really wish Sexton was playing along with this exciting fun team !

I think Sexton not playing might actually be attributing to the team playing like it is, he's a selfish dude on offense and really kills the flow. Garland has really taken off since Sexton went out.. This team is night/day compared to last year. They are just as fun to watch as the lebron years except everyone is killing it

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Cavaliers get back Mobley and Okoro ...... and lose Garland to Co-Vid protocols. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This is getting painful. Without Garland, we are struggling to make buckets. We started out strong, but really slowed down, and have now almost stopped.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Tough loss after leading 98% of the game.

More importantly, Rubio looks like he has a serious knee injury. Could not put any weight on it.

Milk Man #1915261 12/29/21 06:44 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Devastating.

Milk Man #1915263 12/29/21 06:51 PM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Milk Man #1915280 12/29/21 08:47 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Devastating.

Ugh. Just great.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So ... we almost certainly need a veteran PG wi5th Rubio out for the year. Do the Cavs make a trade, or do they go after a free agent, maybe Jeff Teague?

Bard Dawg #1915340 12/30/21 01:43 PM
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
That was fun to watch! We rained some three-pointers, hustled, played some D, and the BIG guy (Hall?) was fun fun to watch. Is he seven feet plus not sure how much extra. Crowd went wild as he managed to do more than I thought he might. I wanna see more. Go, Cavaliers!
Tacko Fall. He is an enormous human being. Iirc, he is 7’6” and weighs 315lbs. The crowd loves when he gets in games. He showed some rebounding skills.

Over at fearthesword.com you can get a lot of commentary and discussion of possible trades etc for the Cavs.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Not sure I am crazy about this one ...... but it is what it is .....

Lakers, Cavaliers discussing trade that would send Rajon Rondo to Cleveland, per report - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...end-rajon-rondo-to-cleveland-per-report/

The Cleveland Cavaliers have been one of the best stories of this strange NBA season, and as the calendar turns to 2022 they sit in fifth place in the Eastern Conference at 20-14. But earlier this week they suffered a major loss when veteran point guard Ricky Rubio went down with a torn ACL that will keep him out for the rest of the season.

In need of another point guard -- in particular, a veteran to help with their young roster -- the Cavaliers have started trade talks with the Los Angeles Lakers about Rajon Rondo, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic. Per Charania, the discussion is "serious" and ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski added that the deal could be done as soon as Friday.

Rondo, who entered the league's health and safety protocols on Dec. 26, has struggled so far with the Lakers, putting up just 3.1 points and 3.7 assists per game on 32.4 percent shooting from the field and 26.7 percent shooting from 3-point land. At this stage of his career, he isn't the most exciting acquisition and will be a downgrade on Rubio. But the Cavaliers don't have too many options in the middle of the season, and Rondo would at least bring some similar qualities. He's still a capable defender who would fit in with the Cavaliers' defense-first style, and will always be able to run an offense.

But even if Rondo can bring some of the same skills, it will be difficult for him to replicate Rubio's impact. The Cavaliers have been much better with Rubio on the court this season.

There are also the intangibles that Rubio brings in terms of leadership and camaraderie.

"I think this team is so close, so it's like an extended family member goes down and it just pains you," Kevin Love said after Rubio was injured. "It just hurts to see anyone go down, but especially a guy like Ricky, who has been so consistent for us and brings so much to this team for so many different reasons."

If this deal does get completed, it will be interesting to see if the Cavaliers can remain at the top of the Eastern Conference playoff picture. They are also already without Collin Sexton for the season due to a torn meniscus, which will put extra responsibility on young guard Darius Garland to lead the way in the backcourt.

As for the Lakers, it's not surprising that they're looking to move Rondo. Not only has he played poorly this season, he doesn't fit on this roster. Moving him will open up a roster spot that they could use on another shooter or more frontcourt depth.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
don't like this trade, I hope they aren't thinking that a washed up 10 years ago rondo is going to replace Rubio. Rubio might be the best FA we've signed since lebron left. I think they'll probably move another piece at deadline to get a better quality starter. I like Valentine, I think he had more to show

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Since Valentine will be cut by the Lakers, we can just re-sign him.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #1915427 12/31/21 04:28 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Since Valentine will be cut by the Lakers, we can just re-sign him.

Isn't there some rule that we have to wait some period of time? Created because we did exactly that with Ilgauskas?

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Jester #1915444 12/31/21 06:44 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yep. Not to mention that we would have to cut someone else if we were allowed to bring him back.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Remember Kevin Porter Jr.? Remember how people lambasted the FO for basically dumping him?

Kevin Porter Jr. leaves arena midway through Rockets' loss to Nuggets after halftime outburst, per report - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...gets-after-halftime-outburst-per-report/

Houston Rockets guard Kevin Porter Jr. left Toyota Center midway through Saturday's 124-111 loss to the Denver Nuggets after a halftime argument with assistant coach John Lucas II, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Tim MacMahon. The argument was the result of Lucas challenging multiple players, including Porter and Christian Wood, but it was Porter who lost his temper. He threw an object and left the arena from there, according to The Athletic's Shams Charania.

The Rockets announced that Porter was questionable to return in the second half due to a thigh injury, but it was the outburst and his decision to leave the arena that were truly responsible for his absence. Rockets head coach Stephen Silas did not mention Porter specifically after the game, but acknowledged that halftime was heated in his locker room.

"We had a spirited debate," Silas told reporters. "I have certain demands of this team as far as playing hard. ... I wasn't satisfied with the effort."

Wood, Houston's leading scorer, played only eight minutes and did not start, which Silas referred to as a "coach's decision." Wood missed a mandatory COVID-19 testing window, according to Charania, and his effort level is reportedly what prompted the argument between Lucas and Porter. Houston was outscored 47-24 in the second quarter, but mostly played the Nuggets evenly in the third and won the fourth 37-25.

Porter has had a number of personal problems during his basketball career. He was suspended by USC for "personal conduct issues" but still managed to get drafted No. 30 overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers. His time with them ended after an outburst following the team's decision to move his locker. The front office proceeded to trade him to Houston from there. Porter was arrested on suspicion of possessing a gun and marijuana in November 2020, but those charges were dropped, and he was also accused of punching a woman in August 2020, but he was not charged.

Saturday was just the latest incident in what has been a tumultuous career for Porter. The team has not announced any discipline for their young guard at this time.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
‘The courage to be great’ and other things about Cavaliers – Terry Pluto’s Scribbles
Updated: Jan. 09, 2022, 5:08 a.m. | Published: Jan. 09, 2022, 5:08 a.m.

By Terry Pluto, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook after the Cavs 114-101 victory over Portland Friday.

1. With this victory, the Cavs have a 22-17 record. The victories equal last season’s totals. Coach J.B. Bickerstaff didn’t pay much attention to that: “We don’t get caught up in the past. This is a different group. We stress taking care of the job in front of you.”

2. Bickerstaff knows he has something special developing. He is beginning to push the team harder. In this victory, he mentioned one possession where the Cavs gave up four offensive rebounds. There was another point in the game where they took too many quick shots.

3. Bickerstaff said: “We can’t get caught up in trying to outscore the other team. All year long, we have to rely on our defense. We are a defensive team first.”

4. More Bickerstaff; “We don’t have to take home run plays. We can take the singles. Get good shots, don’t turn the ball over (Cavs had only nine turnovers) ... it’s a good group effort.”

5. The Cavs entered the fourth quarter with an 82-78 lead. Bickerstaff was unhappy because the Cavs were being out-rebounded 42-29. But in that final 12 minutes, the Cavs controlled the boards, 14-9. They held Portland to 23 points and 33 percent shooting. The Cavs returned to the style of play that has made them the No. 3 defensive team in the NBA.

6. Then there was Darius Garland, who delivered 26 points on 10-of-17 shooting. Portland kept defending him by going under a pick – creating room for Garland to fire away from the outside. So he did, Garland was 5-of-8 from 3-point range.

7. Why would Portland defend Garland that way? The Blazers wanted to take away his drives to the basket, which either become lob passes for the Cavs’ big men or floating shots for two points thanks to Garland’s soft touch.

8. The Cavs will remain crazy-glued to their defense-first identity, but they also need someone to run their “one more pass” offense as Bickerstaff calls it. That someone is Garland. They need an outside shooting threat in the backcourt. That also is Garland. In his last 10 games, Garland is averaging 24.3 points, 6.5 assists while shooting .528 from the field and .400 on 3-pointers. He has made his last 38 free throws. He is playing at an All-Star level.

9. A key play is when Garland wanted to steal a fourth-quarter in-bounds pass. Portland’s Robert Covington caught the ball with Garland close by. Garland reached in, grabbed the ball away from Covington – drove to the basket and scored. That gave the Cavs a 108-96 lead with 2:08 left and seemed to break Portland’s will.

10. Bickerstaff on Garland: “He has the courage to make the play when it matters most. It’s the courage to take shots that may not be wide open – you have to create your own. It’s the courage great players have and we believe Darius is headed in that direction. He has room for improvement, but he has the courage to be great.”

11. Generally soft-spoken, Garland heard those comments and simply said: “The game is starting to come to me. I’m not forcing anything now.”

12. On to the big guys, starting with Jarrett Allen. The stats show him with 13 points, 13 rebounds and 5-of-6 shooting. They don’t show he was matched up most of the night with the massive Jusuf Nurkic. The 7-foot, 285-pounder is like a buffalo, bulling people out of the way and trying to dominate the paint. Nurkic is averaging 13.5 points and 10.1 rebounds. He scored 14, but was a dismal 5-of-17 from the field. Portland was outscored by 13 points when Allen and Nurkic were on the court together.

13. Along with Garland’s nine points in the fourth quarter, the other big hero down the stretch was Cedi Osman. He drilled 4-of-5 from 3-point range for 12 points in the final period. Off the COVID list, Osman was playing for the first time in three weeks (missing six games).

14. Bickerstaff said: “Cedi is our weapon. He is comfortable in the role coming off the bench. He is a threat capable of making shots.”

15. Osman’s career has been revived this season. He’s averaging 11.5 points in 23 minutes a game, shooting .456 from the field and .405 on 3-pointers.

16. They needed Osman on this night as Kevin Love had one of his first tough shooting games in more than month. He was 3-of-9 for eight points. He added seven rebounds and brings poise to the game even when he’s not scoring big.

17. Rajon Rondo made his first appearance. He brings many of the same qualities as the injured Ricky Rubio. Rondo can set up an offense. He moves the ball well. He is a pesky defender. In 17 minutes, he had five rebounds and three assists.

18. Rondo scored 11 points. He was effective driving and drawing fouls, 5-of-6 from the foul line. An iffy outside shooter, Portland didn’t defend Rondo away from the basket. Rondo kept shooting 3-pointers, mostly missing. He was 2-of-8 from long range. The Cavs don’t need Rondo taking as many 3-pointers as Garland. Surely Bickerstaff will talk to the veteran about that. But the rest of Rondo’s game will be a big plus to the Cavs.

19. Portland was without starting guards Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum, two 20-point scorers who were injured. Former Cavaliers Larry Nance Jr. is out with a knee problem. In 23 minutes a game, he’s averaging 6.9 points and 5.6 rebounds for the Blazers.

20. Finally, there was rookie Evan Mobley continuing to not play like a rookie. He had 18 points and eight rebounds. In his last 10 games, Mobley is averaging 19.7 points, 7.5 rebounds and shooting .593 from the field. For Mobley and the Cavs, it’s on to Golden State for a Sunday night game.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2022...ut-cavaliers-terry-plutos-scribbles.html

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
GratefulDawg #1919391 01/11/22 09:18 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Not even four months ago, fans were calling for his head. Altman was dealt a crappy hand like many Cleveland sports show-runners.

We'll see what the future holds.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: GratefulDawg, Milk Man
B
Legend
Legend
B
I was going to say much the same. Not long ago most people thought Altman was a chump.

To me the biggest stat that can turn a game is offensive rebounds. The Cavs are near the top in that category. When you can win that battle night in and night out and get a 2nd chance at scoring, you are going to win the close games.

The Cavs are near the top in that department. Allen, Mobley, and Love are all excellent rebounders.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 01/12/22 08:06 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Cavs with a big win in Utah, 111-91.

Garland had a triple double, (with 15 assists!) and Mobley had a double double. (with 7 assists)

Nice win against a quality opponent, on their court.

2 members like this: jfanent, EveDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

ESPN Stats & Info
@ESPNStatsInfo
Tonight Darius Garland joined LeBron James as the only Cavaliers over the past 25 seasons to log a triple-double through 3 quarters.

Evan Mobley also became the first Cavaliers rookie with 15 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists in a game since LeBron James in 2003.

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1481486154125955076

Serena Winters
@SerenaWinters
Let me tell you what makes this even sweeter.

Post-game, Darius said Love was intentionally boxing out certain guys so DG could get enough rebounds for his triple-doub!

The camaraderie of this team, man. It’s something special.

https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/1481493538978373632

L
Legend
Legend
L
Team is supposedly going to be active at trade deadline. I'm thinking this surprising run has got them thinking they could make some noise, which they def. can with the pieces we have. A couple moves really could help, First being able to defend perimeter, we give up a ton of 3's, that has to stop.. I think replacing Osman and Wade will go a long way to helping. Garland, love, mobley and Allen are huge this year. Getting Okoro back will help tremendously too.

Milk Man #1919623 01/13/22 12:23 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
j/c...

ESPN Stats & Info
@ESPNStatsInfo
Tonight Darius Garland joined LeBron James as the only Cavaliers over the past 25 seasons to log a triple-double through 3 quarters.

Evan Mobley also became the first Cavaliers rookie with 15 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists in a game since LeBron James in 2003.

Serena Winters
@SerenaWinters

Post-game, Darius said Love was intentionally boxing out certain guys so DG could get enough rebounds for his triple-doub!

Couple times last night Love purposely tapped the rebound to Garland. Love has always been a good teammate. Glad to see him finally contributing this year. Its been rough for him last couple

Milk Man #1919627 01/13/22 12:29 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
j/c...

ESPN Stats & Info
@ESPNStatsInfo

Serena Winters
@SerenaWinters

And last year people thought him a bum.

We are finally using Love to his strengths.

When Bron and Kyrie were here, we heard them talking about how he spaced the floor. We kept him in a corner all game long when the reality of the deal is Love has been, and is one of the better rebounders in the league.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Cavaliers win again, to go 4-1 on this current West Coast swing. One more game to go at OKC tomorrow before returning home for one against the Nets.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Garland with 32. Allen with another double-double. Markkanen with quite the dunk. Cavs are a joy to watch.

Garland should be an All-Star.

Dunks....

https://twitter.com/BallySportsCLE/status/1482197979327049731

Last edited by Milk Man; 01/15/22 12:18 AM. Reason: Tweet wouldn't load. Link provided.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Why wont TNT or ESPN put Cavs games on?

It gets really frustrating because it seems like those channels only shows the same handful of teams.

And the Cavs are good and deserve airtime. flamingmad

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The Cavaliers were on NBA TV the other day, but they weren't on in Youngstown because we fall within their broadcast area ...... and even though DISH no longer carries the Cavaliers on Balley Sports ..... it doesn't matter .... it still gets blacked out. Ridiculous.

EveDawg #1919898 01/15/22 01:30 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Why wont TNT or ESPN put Cavs games on?

It gets really frustrating because it seems like those channels only shows the same handful of teams.

And the Cavs are good and deserve airtime. flamingmad

Probably because the NBA is a low rating deal, so they put on the games that have the best chance to have some sort of rating.

I won't watch a NBA game unless the Cavs are on...at least until the finals, and I think a lot of people feel the same in that they might watch their team, but not many else.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavaliers

Link Copied to Clipboard