Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I take it you didn't watch Keenum play.

I know you're not asking, but since you brought it up...

I thought Keenum played fine. Not sure I saw justification of his (relatively) large contract; but he's played well enough to win both times we've seen him in live-fire situations. We didn't play the league's elite either time (by any stretch), and he certainly wasn't making arguments to be a starter with his performances, but I thought he was perfectly fine coming in as a backup in pretty rough situations.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Do YOU think Wentz is a top 20 QB?

Dak was selected by the Cowboys in the 4th round, so Depo (hypothetically, if he were actually making the picks) is at least in good company in not valuing Dak very high at the time.

Depo didn't make the Kessler pick. Who would have rather had that year? There's Dak (again, taken in the fourth, after Goff, Wentz, Lynch, Hackenburg, Brissett, Kessler, Cook). Four picks after Dak, Buffalo took Cardale Jones.
IMO, just or s and giggles, if they had sense as I hoped they would, the Browns would have been in about their 3rd+ year of Ryan Tannehill, as they traded up in the draft for, when they needed a Qb, and Tannehill was on the board, and they selected the Rb Trent Richardson instead. Which would have translated to them not needing a QB as badly, if my memory goes back that far. (And what year did the Browns pass on Deshaun Watson in the draft, was that before Cody Kessler, (I mean Dishone Kiser) or after, becaue Deshaun Watson, imo, checked all the boxes except draft hype. )
ehh, I'm not even sure the Browns actually "passed" on D.Watson, that's a long memory away.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Which is why he is as good or better than most NFL backups. But is that really the question here?

The question become if Baker does well in practice during the week, is cleared to play by the medical team and says he can play, at that point you have to determine who is the best choice to start. It's not like some cut and dry decision some people wish to make it out to be. You can second guess the decision and many people are. But none of us saw his performance in practice to fully understand all that the decision was based on.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
If I'm being totally honest I have to say I'm not really sure what it is we're debating anymore.

I think Baker's performance over the year kinda stands on its own, in that he started out the year on fire and then took a sharp turn in the other direction after he got injured. As his injuries mounted, so too did his performance deteriorate further. I think a good amount of his struggles can be attributed to his injuries, but there are elements that are just weaknesses to his game (like not seeing WIDE open receivers). I also think that there are areas of his game that are weaknesses that were exasperated by his injuries. On top of that, we had team injuries (especially to the Oline) that erroded elements of our offense and forced us to rely more on a weakened (and flawed) Baker. This is where, IMO, Stefanski (and to a lesser degree, Berry) should've helped the team out more when our Oline was decimated by injuries. When they didn't, I think they encouraged some of the more conspiracy-leaning folks to come up with the crazier theories on what's going on in Berea.

As I mentioned, I think Baker's performance stands on its own. His contributions to the disappointing season is there for everyone to see if they simply watch the games. I tend to overly-focus on the stuff that's not so obvious.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
That's why I said "I would say". I guess you believe signing a backup that had no clue of anything about our system made more sense? But once again that's speculation on my part.

pit...how bout you tell us who taught Stefanski his analytics before Depodesta hired him...

I'll wait...

Last edited by mac; 01/12/22 04:05 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Are you seriously asking if we're tired of making informed decisions using as much information as is available instead of resorting to a higher degree of guesswork?

prp..would you rather rely upon the opinions of those who are "analytics new hires", who have little OR NO EXPERIENCE IN FOOTBALL AT ANY LEVEL?

Answer me. Are you advocating that they begin to make their decisions with less information and more speculation?
It is a simple Yes or No, because that is *exactly* what that stupid buzzword "analytics" boils down to.

You're only bent out of shape because you feel the guys using that information aren't "football" guys. Period.
The things is, they ARE football guys.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
[/color]
Originally Posted by mac
Are you seriously asking if we're tired of making informed decisions using as much information as is available instead of resorting to a higher degree of guesswork?

[color:#FFFFCC]prp..would you rather rely upon the opinions of those who are "analytics new hires", who have little OR NO EXPERIENCE IN FOOTBALL AT ANY LEVEL?

Answer me. Are you advocating that they begin to make their decisions with less information and more speculation?
It is a simple Yes or No, because that is *exactly* what that stupid buzzword "analytics" boils down to.

You're only bent out of shape because you feel the guys using that information aren't "football" guys. Period.

prp...what would TAMPA BAY DO?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
That's why I said "I would say". I guess you believe signing a backup that had no clue of anything about our system made more sense? But once again that's speculation on my part.

pit...how bout you tell us who taught Stefanski his analytics before Depodesta hired him...

I'll wait...

The fine folks with the Minnesota Vikings!

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/...ology-data-analytics-rick-spielman-draft

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
[/color]
Originally Posted by mac

[color:#FFFFCC]prp..would you rather rely upon the opinions of those who are "analytics new hires", who have little OR NO EXPERIENCE IN FOOTBALL AT ANY LEVEL?

IMO, those who have little or NO EXPERIENCE in playing the game of FOOTBALL are always looking for something that they can relate to...if you don't know FOOTBALL...maybe you know something about NUMBERS..! Those who might know something about numbers will therefore ASSUME that they know something about FOOTBALL because they know SOMETHING about NUMBERS AND GRAPHS.

I have some earth-shattering news for those of you that are convinced that you know what football is all about, based on graphs and numbers...what would Tampa Bay do?

Would Tampa Bay do WHAT THE CLEVELAND BROWNS DO?

Simple question for all...what do you believe football is..?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Good thing DePodesta played football in college.

O
Legend
Legend
O
This is getting tough to read.

-PrplPplEater
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
Originally Posted by mac
One of the key factors that no one wants to talk about, especially those who are running this franchise, just how far did analytics figure into the results of the 2021 season?

Ask that question to anyone in control of Browns franchise and you get a "canned answer" such as "analytics is just a tool" to use and nothing more.

Depo and his gang of analytical (non-football) staff are being allowed to apply their use of analytics in all aspects of the football operation. The offensive game plan that Stefanski uses is subjected to review by the analytics gang.

...The defensive game plans of DC Joe Woods are also subject to review by the analytics crew.
...the same for special teams coach Mike Priefer.

To quote a recent article..."The Browns have embraced analytics in all aspects of the football operation." link

We have watched a football team that went 11-5 in 2020 regular season and 1-1 in the playoffs. It was "a historic season" for the Cleveland Browns and everyone agreed, the future looked bright, especially after the addition of free agents and draft prospects that were made in the off season. So even named the Browns as potential Super Bowl team in 2021.

The Browns looked to improve the franchise everywhere, with the same coaching staff returning and the same OC and DC...the improvements made to the roster in many key positions. It would make sense that the Browns were expecting improvements on the field in 2021.

But, virtually unnoticed and un-scrutinized by the fans, media and professional football analysts were the changes that were made to franchise in the area under Depodesta's control...the analytics department. Depodesta was given the green light to hire as many additions to his analytics department as Depo wanted. The Browns shot to top in the size of their analytics department among all NFL teams.

There is no mention of the football experience of anyone working in the analytics department, especially the most recent additions. As mentioned above, the work of the Browns analytics department touched all aspects of the Browns football operation.

Depodesta and his analytics department answer to no-one..they virtually work in secret and the amount of influence over the Browns football operation remains an unknown. Great gig if you can get it !

IMO, it is time to expose the amount of influence and control Depo and his analytics department have been allowed to have over the football operations of the Browns.

Why didn't post this last year?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Don't feed the troll. Soon he will bump the locked thread thinking it is long because it is worthy or interesting.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Analytics shows this thread will go 6+ unproductive pages with a high probability of a third round of this 8 months from now.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Don't feed the troll. Soon he will bump the locked thread thinking it is long because it is worthy or interesting.

peen...well look at YOU...

Telling others what subjects and what threads they should be discussing!

Peen...I see that you have declared yourself the one and only "board monitor" for the Dawg Talk Message Board, making up the board rules and attempting to influence the subject matter that you find acceptable for discussion.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You keep asking questions while refusing to answer any. I can see why.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Tampa Bay has Tom Brady. That's what Tampa Bay did.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Analyze why the Browns don't score points in the 2nd half.
And the Browns best scenario is to score a bunch in the 2nd quarter.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by THROW LONG

It's part of Depo's master plan.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Kevin Stefanski did not come to the Browns as some ANALYTICS WIZKID.

Stefanski spent 14 yrs in the Vikings organization, a franchise not known as a NFL leader in the use of "analytics".

Stefanski's last 6 seasons with the Vikings were spent under the leadership of the Vikings HC Mike Zimmer. Zimmer has never been known as a fan of analytics and he did not rely on analytics in his coaching I mention this fact in an effort to show Browns fans who Stefanski was.

No doubt, Stefanski knew WHO was responsible for hiring him as the Browns HC in 2020. Stefanski likely knew that he was expected to allow the Browns analytics staff to have a degree of access and influence over personnel decisions as well as a degree of influence over the decision making process, such as the analytics influence over the draft process and the evaluation of draft personnel as well as the evaluation of free agent personnel.

THEN COVID CHANGED EVERYONE'S PLANS...it changed the Browns plans under new HC Stefanski along with all the other NFL teams.

Some pre-season games were cancelled and opt-outs for the players was allowed for those who did not want to risk their chances of contracting COVID-19, with some players deciding not to play in 2020.

Remote and zoom meetings were attempted by some teams and Stefanski and the coaching staff he put together "thrived" under these extreme conditions and led the Browns to a 11-5 record and to the playoffs, where the Browns won their first playoff game before losing to the Chiefs.

Stefanski was named Coach of the Year...and Depodesta announced that the analytics department would be expanded, increasing the number of new people who would be analyzing the numbers and providing opinions to the analytics staff based on the new hires and their ability to interpret "those numbers". The opinions being provided, were they based on "football"...?...or were those opinions simply based on "numbers"?

In year two under Stefanski and Depodesta's expanded analytics department...

...honestly, there were times that Stefanski did not look like the same person who won Coach of the Year in 2020. It seemed that the Browns were no longer playing to win but if they had a lead Stefanski became conservative, playing not to lose. There were injuries and COVID to contend with (just like the year before) and the Browns missed the playoffs, losing many games throughout the year that they should have won.

Such a disappointing year...

No word yet from Depodesta on how many more "new numbers guys" he will be adding to the analytics department.

Last edited by mac; 01/15/22 02:28 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Vikings Rank Among NFL's Most Analytically-Inclined Teams

The Vikings are clearly among the top half of the league when it comes to incorporating analytics into decisions.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-nfl-analytics-data-espn-rick-spielman

What were you saying?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
He doesn't answer questions, he only asks them.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
He's the hero dawgtalkers deserves right now, but not the one it needs.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Zimmer the Viking HC who is not a fan of analytics was ranked 19 among the 32 teams according to more recent info.

Again, Stefanski did not come from a Vikings franchise that was a big user of analytics under the leadership of HC Mike Zimmer.

In the 8 years Zimmer was HC for the Vikings, they made the playoffs 3 times with records of 10-6, 13-3, 11-5...and the Vikings never finished worse than 3rd in the NFC North, finishing 2nd/3 times and 3rd/2 times. Not bad for some old-fashioned football coach.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by THROW LONG

It's part of Depo's master plan.
Is Depo a secret agent for the steelers.

Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: bugs
C
Legend
Legend
C
So Paul DePodesta is the king of the franchise, and only does “analytics”, hired a coach who doesn’t care about “analytics”? That seems right.

Legend
Legend
That's what he's sayin'.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, everything changed since September of 2020. But you may be right. They didn't do nearly as well this year.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by mac
In the 8 years Zimmer was HC for the Vikings, they made the playoffs 3 times with records of 10-6, 13-3, 11-5...and the Vikings never finished worse than 3rd in the NFC North, finishing 2nd/3 times and 3rd/2 times. Not bad for some old-fashioned football coach.

That kind of trash may fly in the NFC North, and maybe even in the NFC, but it's not working in the AFC.
K. Stefanski is 6-2 against NFC teams since becoming Head coach of the Browns.
But the Browns play in the AFC, and, this analytics stuff isn't going to be as successful in the AFC as it was in the NFC, because the NFC, actually most of the NFL has weaker divisions, top to bottom, year after year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He's basing an argument on a HC who was just fired. Timing is everything and his was terrible. rofl

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Mac....just remember analytics is just a tool - as good as the person who is to use it to their decision making process. Analytics is not a way of football life.

It is useful in the building process of the team but it must be used wisely. It is useful in developing a game plan and teams tendencies again it must be used wisely. I will never have enough of it and I am so glad we have DepoDesta cause he is one of the best. He is now giving the info and data to Berry and Ski they are the ones utilizing these tools!! Use them well
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Analytics is a tool.

However, it used in every part of football operations.

Training and injuries, the draft, contracts, free agency, position rankings, game plans, down and distance calls, player evaluations, etc.

If they can find useful data in any aspect of the organization it will be looked at.

MLB is driven by analytics.

Football is getting there.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Analytics has been around since there were assistant coaches in the bleachers writing down what the next week’s opponents did. Why people are shitting the bed over analytics baffles me.

C
Legend
Legend
C
To be fair it’s literally one person.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted by cfrs15
To be fair it’s literally one person.

True. Let me restate, why ANYONE is shitting the bed about analytics baffles me.

Last edited by Hamfist; 01/19/22 08:17 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This thread is just plain silly.

Analytics tells you that a 6 foot 180 lb person should not be a defensive tackle.

It is a tool that is only as good as the interpretation behind it.

It helps determine the desirable characteristics for players that are similarly rated.

You don’t put a “road grader” in a zone scheme OL….

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
This thread is just plain silly.

[/thread]

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Hamfist
Analytics has been around since there were assistant coaches in the bleachers writing down what the next week’s opponents did. Why people are shitting the bed over analytics baffles me.

Hamfist...you are correct about assistant coaches and sometimes graduates and ex-players sitting in the bleachers of future opponents taking notes about the type offensive plays a future opponent runs or the type defensive formations a future opponent is running... and for my years playing in HS and college football, I was a beneficiary of such scouting reports that helped to prepare me for my next game. That was a very good use of analytics.

Those sitting in the stands accumulating the information for our team had "YEARS OF EXPERIENCE" playing the game in HS and College football as well some who had additional years scouting for our coaching staff.

Concerning those accumulating analytical information for the Browns, is there anyone who can tell us how much "football experience" that any of them have had in the game of football ?

For example...one of the new hires made by Depo is a fella named Rishav Dutta...what is his background and/or his experience level playing the game of American football, at any level ?

As I said earlier, those who accumulated football information for me and my teammates years ago had no less than 3-4 yrs experience playing the game of football...how much experience in the game of football do the analytics professionals hired by Depo have playing the game?

Legend
Legend
You need to give it up. Those folks sitting in the stands were working as scouts, not analysts. If I would need a research analyst, I'd hire a computer major from Carnegie Mellon like Dutta before I'd hire a football player.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum ANALYTICS...had enough yet ?

Link Copied to Clipboard