Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
C
Legend
Legend
C
So you played the same amount of football as Paul DePodesta?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
Would have been more interesting if Depo had been before sports journalists who could ask their questions.

DePodesta met with the media to discuss his role and analytics after Stefanski was hired. It's not scary, I promise!

DePo: People have a warped view of what analytics is

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mac
Paul DePodesta confident Browns can regain, maintain top-10 status in all 3 phases

DePodesta believes the Browns aren’t far from being a team capable of making a deep playoff run in 2022

Feb 01, 2022 at 04:42 PM
Anthony Poisal
Staff Writer

Browns Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta believes the Browns aren't far from returning to a playoff-caliber level.

The expectation for 2021, of course, was to be at that level and go even farther into the playoffs than 2020, when the Browns snapped an 18-year playoff drought and advanced to the AFC Divisional Round for the first time since 1994. The Browns thought they were well-equipped for another playoff run but instead went 8-9 in 2021, leaving several questions about what Cleveland needs to prioritize this offseason to get back to the playoffs next season.

DePodesta, now in his sixth season with the Browns, will be exploring solutions alongside Executive Vice President and GM Andrew Berry and coach Kevin Stefanski in the coming months. The Browns have several areas of the roster to address, but DePodesta believes the Browns just need a few quality moves to be back on track.

"There are definitely some clear things we need to correct, and we feel like we can (do that) going into next year," DePodesta said Friday in an interview on Cleveland Browns Daily. "Ideally, we want to be a top-10 unit on both sides of the ball, special teams included, and we think that's within our grasp. We're just frustrated that we have to wait eight months before we get to play again and, hopefully, prove it."

The Browns were a top-10 team in only one of those areas in 2021: defense. Cleveland finished fifth in the league by allowing only 311.5 total yards per game and finished fifth in pass defense and 12th in run defense. The group gradually improved as the season progressed and was exceptionally good in the last seven games when it never allowed more than 30 points.

With many of the top playmakers — Myles Garrett, Denzel Ward, Greg Newsome II, John Johnson III, among others — set to return, DePodesta said the Browns feel they're in a position to repeat that success next season.

"I think we're in better shape than we were a year ago or even a year before that in terms of all the returning guys in key spots," DePodesta said. "All of those guys coming back puts us in a good spot."

Would have been more interesting if Depo had been before sports journalists who could ask their questions. I don't believe Depo is comfortable in that kind of interview with a question and answer period. Like I said, the analytics boys answer to no one and are free do what ever they want.

This is a fluff article.... and THAT'S your take? This is why the premise of this thread is a joke.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
If true with the Hue Jackson/Haslam TANKING situation blowing up to the max and now the number one story on the net and in the media this morning...there will be questions, I do wonder about who else besides Haslam is going to named by Hue Jackson.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Near the bottom of the story below, Jackson names some of the names from our analytics department. I posted that paragraph here...

Diemert then followed up with a series of tweets stating that Jackson has records to back up his claims, and that several team leaders (including Jackson) were a part of a bonus structure to “tank,” including former general manager Sashi Brown, chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta and current general manager Andrew Berry. Diemert added that the NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell knew about it and “covered it up,” which is likely a reference to evidence provided during Jackson’s failed grievance against the Browns.

Sources: Hue Jackson may join Brian Flores lawsuit, claims to have proof that Browns incentivized tanking

Yahoo Sports
CHARLES ROBINSON
February 2, 2022, 3:09 PM

The wide-ranging class-action lawsuit brought against the NFL and a handful of teams by former Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores may be about to add another plaintiff.

Two sources close to former Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson said Wednesday that Jackson has made arrangements to speak with Flores’ attorneys about the suit as early as Wednesday. The sources also said Jackson has expressed a willingness to provide testimony and materials to Flores' lawsuit, alleging that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam financially incentivized “tanking” for better draft position through the use of a bonus structure during the 2016 and 2017 seasons, when Cleveland went 1-31.

Some of the materials in Jackson’s possession stem from a confidential fraud grievance he brought against the Browns following his in-season firing in 2018. That grievance was handled by an arbitrator under the terms of the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement. That arbitrator ultimately ruled against Jackson, although the judgment was not considered a definitive determination of fact.

“The recent comments by Hue Jackson and his representatives relating to his tenure as our head coach are completely fabricated,” a Browns spokesperson said. “Any accusation that any member of our organization was incentivized to deliberately lose games is categorically false.”

Jackson declined to comment Wednesday. On Tuesday, the NFL released a statement refuting the claims in Flores’ lawsuit and said the litigation was “without merit.”

Sources: Hue Jackson may join Brian Flores lawsuit, claims to have proof that Browns incentivized tanking
Yahoo Sports
CHARLES ROBINSON
February 2, 2022, 3:09 PM

The wide-ranging class-action lawsuit brought against the NFL and a handful of teams by former Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores may be about to add another plaintiff.

Two sources close to former Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson said Wednesday that Jackson has made arrangements to speak with Flores’ attorneys about the suit as early as Wednesday. The sources also said Jackson has expressed a willingness to provide testimony and materials to Flores' lawsuit, alleging that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam financially incentivized “tanking” for better draft position through the use of a bonus structure during the 2016 and 2017 seasons, when Cleveland went 1-31.

Some of the materials in Jackson’s possession stem from a confidential fraud grievance he brought against the Browns following his in-season firing in 2018. That grievance was handled by an arbitrator under the terms of the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement. That arbitrator ultimately ruled against Jackson, although the judgment was not considered a definitive determination of fact.

“The recent comments by Hue Jackson and his representatives relating to his tenure as our head coach are completely fabricated,” a Browns spokesperson said. “Any accusation that any member of our organization was incentivized to deliberately lose games is categorically false.”

Jackson declined to comment Wednesday. On Tuesday, the NFL released a statement refuting the claims in Flores’ lawsuit and said the litigation was “without merit.”

(...Sources tell Yahoo Sports that former Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson has expressed a willingness to provide both testimony and materials to Brian Flores' class action lawsuit, alleging that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam financially incentivized
Sources tell Yahoo Sports that former Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson has expressed a willingness to provide both testimony and materials to Brian Flores' class action lawsuit, alleging that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam financially incentivized "tanking" for draft position during two seasons over which the team went 1-31. (Photo by: 2017 Nick Cammett/Diamond Images/Getty Images)
More...)

Since the filing of Flores’ lawsuit, Jackson and the head of his charitable foundation, Kimberly Diemert, have posted tweets suggesting Jackson’s intent to engage with the Flores litigation. Jackson, who is now the head football coach at Grambling State University, suggested that he encountered some of the same things Flores alleged in his lawsuit against the Miami Dolphins, New York Giants, Denver Broncos and the overarching NFL corporation.

Jackson told ESPN on Wednesday via text message, "it's time to take a stand. What I want is what Brian [Flores] wants which is for this BS to change for black coaches. I lived this same crap."

Prior to this suit, Jackson spoke critically about Black head coaches having their success undermined by team owners that allegedly set a double standard for minority coaches when it comes to the building and success of franchises — as well as the “second chance” opportunities granted to white head coaches versus minorities. Jackson also repeatedly has made claims that during his time in Cleveland, Haslam blindsided him with the size of the rebuild that was going to be undertaken, as well as some of the methods that would be employed during the rebuild.

On Tuesday, he added a wrinkle to those claims, suggesting that Haslam tied finances to what Diemert said was tanking. Responding to a tweet that said “Haslam wasn’t offering 100k per loss,” Jackson said “Trust me it was a good number!”

Diemert then followed up with a series of tweets stating that Jackson has records to back up his claims, and that several team leaders (including Jackson) were a part of a bonus structure to “tank,” including former general manager Sashi Brown, chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta and current general manager Andrew Berry. Diemert added that the NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell knew about it and “covered it up,” which is likely a reference to evidence provided during Jackson’s failed grievance against the Browns.

Attorneys for Flores said Wednesday that other coaches have not become a part of the class-action lawsuit brought against teams and the league, but that it is expected more will join the litigation.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Hue gave an interview on SportsCenter and basically undermined himself. He is, as always, an idiot seeking attention.

2 members like this: AZBrown, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c
I have not seen the interview. From summaries which I have seen it *seems* to sort of follow this rationale

1. Hue was hired and they had a 4 year plan.
2. Years 1 and 2 the team would get young, acquire draft capital.
3. Year 3 they would be competitive.
4. Year 3 they were not competitive under Hue - they were 2-5-1. He was fired and then the Browns went on to win 5 of the remaining games with a make shift coaching staff.

Seems that Hue want's to call having a plan to get young and acquire draft picks - 'Tanking' and being paid to tank. Seems like when year 3 rolled around and the team was supposed to start being good - they were still inept under Hue and as soon as Hue was gone they got immediately much better. Sounds like Hue is full of poop.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yep.

Hue came across as a complete moron on Sports Center. Implied on Twitter he was literally paid to tank intentionally, had the receipts and then goes on TV and basically says he was part of rebuilding plan that lost a lot of games and they knew they would as part of the process. Grambling State probably wants to rid themselves of Hue after that crash and burn.

Hue should apologize to Flores for making a mockery of the situation.

3 members like this: GMdawg, FATE, MemphisBrownie
Legend
Legend
The only relevance this has to the thread topic is that some 2 bit attorney did his analytics and smelled 30% of a class action suit.....then gave 'ol Huey a call (and probably called every ex minority coach he could get the number of).

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: FATE, PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Nobody had to pay Hue to be a loser.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Today, suddenly the Texans claim that Flores was one of their finalists ... now that's ironic.

Also today, suddenly Hue's memory seems to be a little fuzzy...how long does it take to transfer money?

I heard one guy talking on the radio or on TV, it would be best for the NFL to make this 'go away' as quick as possible. Could be that the NFL owners might be doing their best to make this go away, asap...leading to Hue's Fuzzy memory and Flores sudden potential job offers.

just sayn.

P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
rofl
x2
rofl rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: jfanent
R
Legend
Legend
R
What did Dak's attorney say? I'll only believe something if it comes from him.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Nobody had to pay Hue to be a loser.

rofl

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
tsktsk poke

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
nanner grin

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
thumbsup

Last edited by mac; 02/04/22 10:28 AM.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
This is fun...if you can't refute the information posted, simply post an emoji...

TWO CAN PLAY THAT GAME thumbsup

O
Legend
Legend
O
Hey, at least you're acknowledging questions asked of you vs just ignoring and continuing to fabricate talking points.

How many girlfriends did DePo steal from you? Just tell us so we can skip to the end of all this.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
OOB...how bout you post a link for all the posts you make so we know your not lying or simply posting made up crap...?

CAN YOU DO THAT?

Last edited by mac; 02/04/22 11:19 AM.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I've mostly been poking fun at you. The source is me. I don't need a link for that.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Rishuz
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I've mostly been poking fun at you. The source is me. I don't need a link for that.

Thats what I thought..you have no sources to back up anything you post and the 'stuff' you post is based on 'nothing'... rofl

O
Legend
Legend
O
Go back and look. When I've made actual claims, I've provided links. When I'm making fun of you creating something out of nothing (like just about everyone else in this thread), I don't need to post a link because it's coming from me.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
This is fun...if you can't refute the information posted, simply post an emoji...

TWO CAN PLAY THAT GAME thumbsup

When a comment is too stupid to actually deserve a response, emojis make for a great reply.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Mac, your thoughts on Baltimore Ravens hiring Sashi Browns.

You do know Baltimore is heavy into analytics?

B
Legend
Legend
B
LOL....that has to bother a few around here. Heck, one even had some sort of sig about Sashi not even being in football anymore....LOL

This will be fun to watch the spin on this one.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
LOL....that has to bother a few around here. Heck, one even had some sort of sig about Sashi not even being in football anymore....LOL

"I didn't say he will never work in the NFL again. They certainly won't have him making the draft picks..."

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: MemphisBrownie, jfanent
O
Legend
Legend
O
To be fair, Hue did have another NFL job first....

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bugs
Mac, your thoughts on Baltimore Ravens hiring Sashi Browns.

You do know Baltimore is heavy into analytics?

bugs..actually I'm hopeful that he can do for the Ravens what he did here in Cleveland, produce a 1-31 record. grin

Last edited by mac; 02/05/22 08:29 AM.

2 members like this: bugs, GMdawg
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I haven't read a lot of the posts in this thread, but I have seen a lot of references to analytics on plenty of others.

There are some posters who seem to believe when the Browns draft a good player or make a good play call during a game it is based on old-fashion football knowledge, but when the team has a questionable draft pick or bad play call it is because they are beholden to analytics.

Especially, it seems, every time a fourth down is attempted, analytics gets blamed.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

"I didn't say he will never work in the NFL again. ..."

This is aging well. thumbsup

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Especially it seems, every time a 4th down is attempted analytics gets blamed.
Not every 4th down, mostly 4th downs where the team was in short or usually made field goals' range. And where else but analytics would one start the blame.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Especially it seems, every time a 4th down is attempted analytics gets blamed.
Not every 4th down, mostly 4th downs where the team was in short or usually made field goals' range. And where else but analytics would one start the blame.

I would be more likely to blame analytics if you went for it from outside field goal range.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
JC...

In an attempt get this thread back on subject, have you had enough of ANALYTICS yet...?

There is no graph or chart that can measure EMOTION.

Those who WORSHIP analytics would like to ignore this fact and pretend it doesn't matter...but those of us who have played sports know that "emotion" did play a part in how we performed in a game, a season or in our career...analytics can't measure emotion and they don't even try...the ANALYTICS GEEKS would rather pretend that EMOTION has no part in athletics and never has...

...those ANALYTICS GEEKS who would rather pretend that EMOTION plays no part in sports...AND THEY WOULD BE 100% WRONG!

Last edited by mac; 02/11/22 11:05 AM.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Good thing everyone in our front office played college football.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Good thing everyone in our front office played college football.

It would be great if "everyone" that works in the Browns front office did have some experience playing the game of "American Football".

M
Legend
Legend
M
Like Berry and Depoesta?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
JC...

In an attempt get this thread back on subject, have you had enough of ANALYTICS yet...?

There is no graph or chart that can measure EMOTION.

Those who WORSHIP analytics would like to ignore this fact and pretend it doesn't matter...but those of us who have played sports know that "emotion" did play a part in how we performed in a game, a season or in our career...analytics can't measure emotion and they don't even try...the ANALYTICS GEEKS would rather pretend that EMOTION has no part in athletics and never has...

...those ANALYTICS GEEKS who would rather pretend that EMOTION plays no part in sports...AND THEY WOULD BE 100% WRONG!

Do you even realize how much of what just rattled around in your head is completely made-up while also being totally not relevant?
I don't think you do. I think you think that you're actually making a point, but you are not.

You obviously have some REALLY STRANGE IDEAS as to what your favorite buzzword mean.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum ANALYTICS...had enough yet ?

Link Copied to Clipboard