Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
I just want to point out that American Football was born at Yale University and first played amongst all of the Ivy League schools.
An undergrad medical student at Yale, Walter Camp, is the father of football. Football as it exists today would not be as it is without him and the geeks from Yale.
Geeks are the REAL FOOTBALL PEOPLE; all others are pretenders trying to be as good.

Indisputable.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Indisputable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Camp

Walter Camp, 1880 something- to 1925, died in 1925. the Ivy leaguers are the masters of American football, like the Abolitionists, who outlawed alcohol until the repeal of prohibition legalized it again, are the masters of modern day politics. And understand the war on drugs, the cartels, fentenol, and the motivations behind a government giving needles to addicts.

In the same way, that Henry Ford, is the master of the Modern Interstate highway system, and the Real understander of cloverleafs, diamond lanes, and gas taxes and electric vehicles. (who understands Real football),
In the same way that the German 1940s dictater, (because of speaking in front of groups of 200,000+ crowds, can be considered the Real communicators and the only ones who could understand something like twitter, or satellite television broadcasts.

In that same way, yes it is indisputable that someone who invented the Line of Scrimmage, may have been an ivy leaguer, they may have invented all the rules of football, and that may not be indisputable
But!
the bottom line is,
The Football programs of the ivy league schools, may have been tops in the nation at some point in American History, in the 1950s but not more recently than that.
Today the football progams of the ivy league schools have been bottoms in the nation for the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s, and before and are today, So Much So, That!
The best football players, coaches, and innovaters alive today,
and their parents generation, never even considered the Ivy Leaguers, or the Ivy League as any place to expand on the greatness of American football.
any more than the greatest of lawyers, and greatest of polliticians would enroll in ... (some fly by night university.)

The Ivy league, has been the pathway of Senators, and Presidents, but it's not the pathway of football
anymore than Hawaii is the pathway of Ice hockey players
or Upper Michigan is the pathway for Surfers for that matter.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
I just want to point out that American Football was born at Yale University and first played amongst all of the Ivy League schools.
An undergrad medical student at Yale, Walter Camp, is the father of football. Football as it exists today would not be as it is without him and the geeks from Yale.
Geeks are the REAL FOOTBALL PEOPLE; all others are pretenders trying to be as good.

Indisputable.

Walter Camp...did he subscribe to the use of Moneyball Analytics?

Walter Camp was an exceptional athlete who applied the use of 'common sense' to suggest rules changes in an effort to improve the many sports he participated in, including American Football.

Also, Walter Camp sought out the opinions of many of the most notable football coaches of his time...John H. Outland, Eddie Cochems, Amos Alonzo Stagg, Pop Warner and Knute Rockne...in an effort to arrive at a consensus to establish rule changes for the betterment of the game.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
You do realize that Moneyball was just a movie, right?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by mac

Indisputable.

Walter Camp was an exceptional athlete who applied the use of 'common sense' to suggest rules changes in an effort to improve the many sports he participated in, including American Football.

Also, Walter Camp sought out the opinions of many of the most notable football coaches of his time...John H. Outland, Eddie Cochems, Amos Alonzo Stagg, Pop Warner and Knute Rockne...in an effort to arrive at a consensus to establish rule changes for the betterment of the game.

So, he was analyzing? Is that what you're saying?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Originally Posted by mac

Indisputable.

So, he was analyzing? Is that what you're saying?

Seems he may be over-analyzing the analysis. I think the micro-analytical angle is the right approach here.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Dude, did your cat really die? I'm sorry to hear that. A gotta admit though, seeing that as your sig stopped me dead in my tracks. saywhat laugh

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by FATE
Dude, did your cat really die? I'm sorry to hear that. A gotta admit though, seeing that as your sig stopped me dead in my tracks. saywhat laugh

I wouldn't joke about my cat. He was awesome!!!! Maybe sometime I'll start a thread about him.....

2 members like this: Hamfist, FATE
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
J/C

I am not sure where to post this piece. It is an interesting read. I'm posting the first few paragraphs, but I think the article (long) is an interesting read.

Position Focus: First off, lets make sure we are clear that an analytics-heavy front office will focus all of their efforts in producing in the pass game (especially explosive passing game) and stopping the opponent’s passing game/QB. If you ever hear someone link the Browns, or any front office that leans heavily on data, to a “run stuffing” whatever, then just ignore said analyst. It is fairly certain that the Browns will only focus on these positions high in the draft (top 2 rounds)- QB, LT/RT, pass rusher, good coverage DB. JOK last year was a very unique case as a hybrid LB/S type of player who was a tremendous athlete that excelled in coverage at ND. I think that type of hybrid uber athletic player who can cover is now clearly in the mix as opposed to your prototypical middle LB who stops the run. DT is typically not considered a highly coveted position early in a draft by the Browns but if they did ever go that route it would certainly only be one that is a dominant pass rusher and not a run stuffer. There is a reason why data heavy franchises like the Browns are so focused on the passing game. Here are the explosive pass play ranks of Superbowl teams since 2016: 2nd, 5th, 4th, 5th, 1st, 9th, 2nd, 20th, 1st, 6th.

Key Metrics:

Age- We have long known that other sports like Baseball and Basketball favor younger prospects than older ones. The NFL has really trended that way as well and the data has shown that younger players (under 22) have outperformed the older draft picks high in drafts. From 2000-2017, 26% of first round players drafted at age 21 or younger (excluded QBs), have made at least one all pro team with a weighted career approximate value ( Approximate Value: Methodology | Sports-Reference.com) per player of 0.42. This compares to only 18% of players drafted at age 22 or older making an all pro team and a wAPV of 0.40. It’s not a gigantic difference but enough to trend toward younger players in round 1. Andrew Berry has only been in charge of two drafts but in those drafts, he has made four top two round selections (Jedrick Wills, Grant Delpit, Greg Newsome and JOK). All four of those players were 21 years of age at the time of when they were selected. Maybe it is just coincidence that they were all under 22 at the time of the draft but it probably is not if you understand the data trends. Is it to say that the Browns absolutely will never draft a player who is over 21 if they fit a need and check every other box? Maybe not but for purposes of trying to predict who this front office will likely continue to target, I think they will almost always skew younger. It should be noted that the one exception may be at QB where data does tend to lean toward more starts being valuable to a good NFL career. We have seen just as many older QB prospects perform well than younger ones. And this is not to say that the Browns will have a hard and fast rule of cutting off players right at 22 years old, that would be absurd. I do believe, however, that once the prospect is around the age of 22, there is a sliding risk/upside scale and the bar must be higher for the slightly older prospect. Meaning, a player at 22.2 years old must be substantially better prospect than a similar player at 21.2. Also, it will matter what class that older prospect is in. A 22.1 year old Junior (Like Treylon Burks for ex) gets more leeway than a 4th year Senior at the same age.

Workout Metrics- The Browns really tend to also target very good/elite athletes in rounds 1 and 2. They love elite athleticism matched with on field production. They will not take a great athlete who tested well but was a big underachiver in college. high in the draft. On the otherhand, it would be a complete shock if they drafted a player with excellent on field production but posted poor athletic testing. Every round 1 and 2 selection under Berry has produced a Relative Athletic Score (RAS) of at least 8.4. RAS was developed by Kent Lee Platte and aggregates all combine/pro day measurables into a single number on a 10-point scale. Because Delpit was injured leading up to the 2020 draft and last year many players didn’t participate in full workouts due to the pandemic, there is a lot of incomplete data to produce SPARQ scores (Speed, Power, Agility, Reaction and Quickness. Nike created SPARQ to athletically measure high school athletes and was initially adopted in the NFL by the Seattle Seahawks). However, rest assured each of Berry’s selections produced enough athletic testing data to likely post high scores. Every Sashi Brown/Depodesta selection in rounds 1 and 2 produced a SPARQ score of at least the 82nd percentile or better. Even Larry Ogunjobi was 4th among DT in SPARQ at the combine in his season. Not to complete dive deep into the minutia but the Browns, among every NFL team, leans on specific workout metrics within different position groups. It’s not easy to pinpoint the exact measureables they look for within these position groups but should be noted, for example, that every Sashi/Berry edge rusher drafted (Garrett, Nassib, Ogbah) posted excellent 10 yard splits (1.62 or better). Even the Browns FA signing of Takk Mckinley (1.60) last year was a little more proof that a good 10 yard burst is something they covet with Edge rushers. It is important to note that teams are starting to more and more utilize GPS tracking data which is not available to the public. This data was used to help draft Richard Lecounte last season and is most likely used more when there is incomplete speed information or if there is a strong disconnect between game/tape speed and 40 times.

Power 5 School- Between Sashi and Berry, every single one of the nine drafted players in the top two rounds have come from a Power 5 school. Considering a large percentage of all top two round selections in any draft will always come from a Power 5 school, this may likely just be a product of the pool of players typically selected. But it is something that should be noted.

PFF Data- This is not to say that the Browns use PFF’s draft board to drive selections because that would be absurd. But, they clearly either use data to produce similar results or the Browns entrust the graders at PFF enough to supplement their internal scouts. In either case, history says that the Browns draft board aligns nicely with PFFs big board. In fact, the Browns four selections in the top two rounds under Berry have all ranked in PFFs top 21 in both seasons. And that doesn’t even consider the fact that they drafted some players on the PFF board, who were ranked higher than consensus, later in drafts when they selected Jordan Elliot and Harrison Bryant. When projecting who the Browns may be looking to draft high this season, it would be a mistake to ignore PFFs big board and I would be stunned if they completely overdrafted a player that PFF had ranked much lower than draft slot.

QBASE- I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that if the Browns do decide to draft a QB this season, make sure you pay attention to what the Quarterback-Adjusted-Stats-and-Experience (QBASE) projection system spits out. The inventor of this projection system is Andrew Healey, who came from footballoutsiders and is now in the Browns organization as VP of Strategy and Research. It should be noted that QBASE gave Baker Mayfield the 4th highest grade in the database’s history and of course the Browns drafted Mayfield #1. For what it’s worth, the QBASE projection gave FA Marcus Mariota the 7th highest grade in database history.

BROWNS DRAFT SEASON

Legend
Legend
PFF grades mean a lot according analytics.

Drake London is ranked as the top receiver 10th overall.

Karlaftis is ranked 9th overall.

Age is also a analytic grade and both these guys are 20 which is a good factor.

If we could somehow get both these guys in the first round. It would be considered a big win.

Karlaftis maybe there near pick 27 or so.

If we get London at 13 I am happy.

IMO London is one of the best players in this draft. This guy dominated. He was unstoppable at USC. If he would have played 12 games. His numbers would have been nuts.

I really like the way our draft is layed out. We will be able to get great value at positions of need.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Bugs...thanks for the info..an interesting read trying to explain how the Browns judge talent via "their numbers system"...

...aka ClevAnalytics .

I'm not overly impressed by the Browns ability to judge player talent via their ClevAnalytics numbers system as Depodesta is beginning his 7th season heading the analytics department. Just when should Browns fans expect positive results and who is going to judge the performance of the analytics staff?

What does a passing grade for the Browns analytics department look like?

Today's reality when it comes to measuring the performance of the Browns analytics department can be reduced to keeping Jimmy Haslam happy. But, what makes Jimmy happy might not be what makes most Browns fans happy...

IMO, there isn't anything special in what analytics provides in terms that actually matter to me...WINS !

...Playoff wins !

...Super Bowl wins !!

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, when having a healthy QB in Stefanski's first season as HC we went 11-5. Oh the humanity!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: jfanent
T
Legend
Legend
T
Please I hope no one turns this into a draft topic. There is a whole forum on the draft, this thread is about objections to analytics.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Yes, when having a healthy QB in Stefanski's first season as HC we went 11-5. Oh the humanity!
Case Keenum was healthy all year in 2021-2022. :sticking out a tongue emoji :

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac

IMO, there isn't anything special in what analytics provides in terms that actually matter to me...WINS !

Analytics is not there for you. It is there for the team to help them make the most informed decisions possible. Period. It isn't weighted more than other factors and it isn't used in a vacuum.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
mac, I don't think you can use the analytics from the article toward wins and losses.

You would use those numbers on draft success. Looking at the drafts since DePodesta started, you can see the success rate improved.

Without a quantitative number, it is hard to be objective. With subjective analysis, it is hard judging whether you are simply lucky, overall talent was better, or your drafting skills are great.

Legend
Legend
Analytics is not there for you. It is there for the team to help them make the most informed decisions possible. Period. It isn't weighted more than other factors and it isn't used in a vacuum.

Things that analytics has caused
covid
Russia to invade Ukraine
global warming
destruction of the ozone layer
School shootings
Rapes
Murder
Death of Jimmy Hoffa

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by GMdawg

Things that analytics has caused
covid
Russia to invade Ukraine
global warming
destruction of the ozone layer
School shootings
Rapes
Murder
Death of Jimmy Hoffa

And inflation.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1 member likes this: GMdawg
T
Legend
Legend
T
If the Browns consider a player from a group, and that group is much smaller based on 6 months, or 1 year of calendar age,

then the Browns, would be neglecting a sizeable group of potential talent, in their talent search.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, the Browns Front Office and Depo got their grade. There are only 32 teams, one just dipped into our organization and gave him a GM job. I'd call that high praise AND I don't think they care what you think. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by mac

888 ... First, you are not suggesting that the Browns Analytics Department is "so good", that they are above reproach or above judgement based on their RESULTS..?

I will say it again, IMO, there is NOTHING SPECIAL about the Browns analytics department when it comes to judging the football talent available in the draft. Depodesta and his baseball/moneyball reputation impressed Haslam so much that nothing else matters to Jimmy. Depodesta could feed Haslam a bunch of BS and Haslam wouldn't know if he was getting good advice OR NOT.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mac
[color:#FFFFCC]888 ... First, you are not suggesting that the Browns Analytics Department is "so good", that they are above reproach or above judgement based on their RESULTS..?

Like most of your posts in this thread, this is just something you made up.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
It's like coming in to read a painful comedy sketch, over and over...

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
The Vikings think our analytics department is so good they hired someone working under our top brass to be their new GM. And we're supposed to trust your opinion more? Ridiculous.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Macs' opinion has nothing to do with it. It is about observing the very real player set that the front office, (the analytics guys), choose to stock the team with. wink

Legend
Legend
Oh really.... why dont you give us a list of the players Depo or anybody else in the analystic department drafted?

O
Legend
Legend
O
rofl I hope the Refs lock this thread before you stroke out bro. smfh.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
888 ... First, you are not suggesting that the Browns Analytics Department is "so good", that they are above reproach or above judgement based on their RESULTS..?
Something I never said. Something I never insinuated or hinted at.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
Something I never said. Something I never insinuated or hinted at.

Soooo, what I'm reading is that you're admitting that you did say that??

Browns is the Browns

2 members like this: mgh888, oobernoober
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

prp...here is the deal..what major addition to the Browns roster can we credit to the analytics department?

Looking at the information that the Browns analytics provides based on their own GUARDRAILS ... link

... along with their charts, graphs and the information that the Browns analytics department uses to "judge and identify" as the best possible draft picks that the Browns could make in an upcoming draft (or any of the past drafts).

Identify those draft picks, where the information provided by the Browns analytics department, gave the Browns 'draft team' an advantage over the rest of the NFL that resulted in the Browns drafting a prospect who the rest of the NFL overlooked.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Nobody has that information, and unlike you we don't just make things up out of thin air.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Do that Purp...Identify those players...well, except for everybody we have drafted or brought in over the last few years....IDENTIFY THEM!! LOL

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: jfanent, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac

prp...here is the deal..what major addition to the Browns roster can we credit to the analytics department?

Looking at the information that the Browns analytics provides based on their own GUARDRAILS ... link

... along with their charts, graphs and the information that the Browns analytics department uses to "judge and identify" as the best possible draft picks that the Browns could make in an upcoming draft (or any of the past drafts).

Identify those draft picks, where the information provided by the Browns analytics department, gave the Browns 'draft team' an advantage over the rest of the NFL that resulted in the Browns drafting a prospect who the rest of the NFL overlooked.

I bet you shout at the wind and shake your fist at the sky when it rains too.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The same guy that hailed the return of spring because geese came to his pond whines about using analytics in sports.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac

I bet you shout at the wind and shake your fist at the sky when it rains too.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

So far none of you have come close to answering the SIMPLE QUESTION THAT I asked in the quote above...

...all of you, peen, oobs, 888 OR anyone who wants claim what great benefit the Browns analytics department provided to help the team select better talent than the rest of the 31 NFL teams.

ALL OF YOU ARE WELCOME TO CRITICIZE ME for having a different opinion...but at least show me the evidence that backs up the claim that the Browns analytics department provides draft information that "proves" that the Browns analytics department provides information that gives the Browns an advantage over the other 31 NFL franchises.

Why is it that I ask questions that NONE OF YOU WANT TO ANSWER?

Last edited by mac; 03/08/22 02:26 PM.

Legend
Legend
Mac, I'm sorry bro, but I have no idea how you would expect someone to answer that "simple question".

How would we "prove" that analytics have given us an advantage over the rest of the league by identifying certain draft picks that bear the fruit of those advantages?

I'll stab at one though, and it actually spotlights how narrow-minded your view of analytics is.

NICK CHUBB

Why? Because "analytics" led to the Browns moving the NBA mentality to the NFL, taking on Brock Osweiler's huge contract and getting a free draft pick... to give another team salary cap relief.

Do "free" players that play like Chubb count?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
..here is the deal..

So now you've resorted to an impression of Biden?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum ANALYTICS...had enough yet ?

Link Copied to Clipboard