Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
mac #1932192 03/17/22 05:34 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
"we want an adult QB"

Who said that? Is there an actual quote of someone making that comment?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
"we want an adult QB"

nothing attributable to anyone specific, but it was a reported quote from a reputable reporter as it having come from "someone with the Browns organization"

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I feel like my bond to this team gets more threadbare by the year. These days it’s by the day. Going after Watson of all people, wagering the present for that kind of future with that guy and when it was clear we were a long shot anyway… just kinda dumb. What I liked about these guys is that they’re supposed to be the smart guys. How did they not game plan for this? It really was always the most likely outcome: no Watson, pissed mayfield. Maybe things settle down and Mayfield walks it back we go into the season with plan A but the water is very muddy now. The sense that we’re all pulling in the same direction even if we’re not totally sold on Baker is gone now. I really thought we were getting beyond the “old Browns” tropes but here we are.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
2 members like this: PitDAWG, LexDawg
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
"we want an adult QB"

nothing attributable to anyone specific, but it was a reported quote from a reputable reporter as it having come from "someone with the Browns organization"

I heard the phrase "adult QB" from Zac Jackson on the local morning sports talk show, and later from Chris Mortenson on a tweet. It came across as a Browns PR strategy to counter public opinion of them going after Watson, which is laughable considering what Watson was facing because of his behavior. Point being, when you you hear two media types using the same talking points from the same source, it means it's what they wanted to put out there.

1 member likes this: mgh888
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
"we want an adult QB"

The Browns are denying that anyone – at least at the top of the organization – told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen the team wanted " an adult” at QB. That could be true. But I have known Mortensen since he was a baseball writer in the early 1980s in Atlanta and I covered the Tribe for The Plain Dealer.

Mortensen is a man of integrity who doesn’t make stuff up. It came from someone with the Browns.

Terry Pluto Article

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watch the play with the wording.

They said that no one "at least at the top of the organization told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen the team wanted " an adult” at QB"

What they didn't say is that no one at the top of the organization said that
What they didn't say was that no one in the organization said that to Mort
What they didn't say is that this is not how they feel.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Words have meanings and context is everything.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by jaybird
[quote=Dave]

This is how I feel... he has every right to be upset... But I would have hoped he would have worked it out with the FO privately... even if he does want a trade... but instead he cries to the media... he has zero leverage... he's coming off a bad year and surgery.... honestly think the best thing he could have done was either privately ask for a trade or play all out and earn either a franchise tag or huge pay day

This.

This x2.

This is a business, and a tough one. Need to have thick skin to make it.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
Legend
Legend
I think that Duke Johnson's Tweet was right ..... this is a trainwreck ..... with no evidence of getting better.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Thank you DeShaun Watson for not picking the Browns and forcing me to do some major gymnastics. Also thank you to DeShaun Watson for eliminating the Browns quickly so we don’t have endure this decision making process.

2 members like this: oobernoober, Milk Man
Legend
Legend
He'll announce Monday afternoon... just in time to dominate the primetime headlines...

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
What a stark contrast in the way Matt Ryan is handling all of this...

O
Legend
Legend
O
There was also something out there saying how the falcons discussed all of this with him beforehand too. That might have something to do with it.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Could be a potential landing spot for Baker.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Browns said no, we'll see if they stick to their guns. I hope Baker goes to a good team with nice jerseys, all I will say.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Does Baker know he's not very good?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Does Baker know he's not very good?

Not sure, but I bet he knows he's better at QB and knows more about football than you and your entire gene pool. So he has that going for him. thumbsup

R
Legend
Legend
R
Yet I've been saying for a long, long time that Baker is mentally weak and pretty much got answers like yours. Now those who enjoyed insulting me are changing their tune.

You could see this coming a mile away. Bad QBs are like an infectious disease. Bad QBs who don't work on their craft, are mentally shallow, and don't perform under expectations can destroy a franchise.

O
Legend
Legend
O
We still disagree on rather Baker is bad or good. And no matter what you think, the truth is, he's the best we've had since Bernie.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
We still disagree on rather Baker is bad or good. And no matter what you think, the truth is, he's the best we've had since Bernie.

Now thats the truth thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I would take Vinny Testeverde, Tim Couch, and Derek Anderson before Baker every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Well from our talks in PP, I can see why.

M
Legend
Legend
M
..... the truth is, he's the best we've had since Bernie.

True, but that's quite the low bar. The Browns should absolutely be looking to improve the position. The fact that the Browns never even reached out to Baker's team to even engage in contract extension talks after the playoff win should have told everyone that they were not sold him. I do not think he was ever in their long term plans.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Who cares that it's a low bar? Do we all forget the 20 years on the QB carousel? You want to sift through 20 or 30 more? A bird in the hand… We all know Baker has the arm talent, the rest is on the other team members, coaching, and system. But yeah, Baker is garbage for a QB and garbage for wanting a trade after he got demeaned (called a non-adult) and jilted without so much as a peep of warning. I'm so damn mad at how this was all handled that if Baker goes before the season, I might just go with him after 50 + years of die hard following this dumpster fire. I hate Art Model's ghost at this point.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I know this won’t go over well but comparing Bernie like he was this elite qb is a fallacy. He was serviceable and played on a good complete team. But he was pretty average. I know compared to what we’ve had that would look amazing. But one thing I will give the FO credit for is seeing that Baker isn’t that elite qb that you build around and is trying desperately to get that position buttoned up. Just the way they did it seemed a bit callous

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
A
Legend
Legend
A
Not only was it callous, it blew up in their face, putting the Browns back by 2, 3, 4, 5 years.

Idiotic move.

I did just fine not watching the nfl when the Browns were gone. I jumped away from nascar when money became the driving force. I can do without watching the Browns. (as a result of eh, I don't remember. A dispute between whatever company and dish network, I didn't get to see them much this year anyway)

Screw Jimmy Haslam. I know millionaires are used to getting their way, regardless. I can only imagine billionaires.........

Jimmy, ya done screwed up. Again. Might be time to just sit back and enjoy your money. Cause you aren't getting anymore of mine.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c....

This seems exhausting.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No massage therapists?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I have two daughters ... I can't support a team that would sign a QB with over 20 women accusing him of sexual rape or misconduct. I saw Baker playing hurt when he shouldn't have been and not it sounds like they want to run him out of town. It makes me wonder if they ended up permanently damaging him because they wouldn't bench him to save him from himself. I don't see any QB's in the draft that would immediately make us better than playing Baker.

It's possible there are things going on with Baker that is not known to us to make them want to get rid of him but I think it's crazy to throw him away when we have no real plan to replace him with anything better other than a serial rapist who probably doesn't want to play here anyways.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
1 member likes this: Jester
C
Legend
Legend
C
There is a plan. This is Andrew Berry’s team not Mike Holmgren or Ray Farmer. We just found today that Watson wasn’t coming. These things take time.

1 member likes this: bbrowns32
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

I will miss the DW threads.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by cfrs15
There is a plan. .

I fully expect there is a plan. However, we may not be able to step right into it. It may require one or two interim stages before we get to where we want to be....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
O
Legend
Legend
O
There is a plan. This is Andrew Berry’s team not Mike Holmgren or Ray Farmer. We just found today that Watson wasn’t coming. These things take time.

Yep, I'm sure the calculus was in their favor, and it's all well thought out.

[Linked Image from grunge.com]

C
Legend
Legend
C
I like how we go from having geniuses in the front office to the three stooges because they don’t like Baker (which was pretty obvious). These are the same guys most of us loved like six months ago.

E
Legend
Legend
E
6 months ago we weren't the laughing stock of the league. Now, thanks to them, we have once again acquired the laughing stock crown.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like how we go from having geniuses in the front office to the three stooges because they don’t like Baker (which was pretty obvious). These are the same guys most of us loved like six months ago.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by EveDawg
6 months ago we weren't the laughing stock of the league. Now, thanks to them, we have once again acquired the laughing stock crown.

Who is laughing? Most people I see think the team is smart to move in from Baker?

1 member likes this: Milk Man
C
Legend
Legend
C
Never? What about taking Greg Newsome? Signing Nick Chubb to a reasonable extension? Stealing JOK? Fixing the offensive line?

Let’s not be a prisoner of the moment because we are emotional over a player that we liked getting the raw end of a deal.

2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Milk Man
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

John Dorsey trying to preserve his reputation. Yawner.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Can we have John Dorsey back? He is the only one who knows how to build a team.

No Craps Given
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DeShaun Watson III

Link Copied to Clipboard